PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Disciple - What Domain would you take?

Yrnes
2007-12-06, 07:19 PM
I'm coming up on 15th level and I've discovered the juicy goodness of the Arcane Disciple feat. If you don't know, it allows you to pick one domain under your deity's portfolio and add those domain spells to your spell list.

My current build is a Monk/Sorcerer/Abjurant Champ/Eldritch Knight, and even at 15th level I'm stuck with 4th level spells. However we all know thats the magic number for uber melee stuff, so what domain would you guys take?

I'm considering:
Competition (Divine Power would up my BAB only by 2, but I have no enhancement bonus to STR yet)
Glory (I just really really like the idea of holy sword on my spell list)
Liberation (Freedom of Movement. Yum)

TheLogman
2007-12-06, 07:32 PM
Time is not too shabby, you get Improved initiative, and the spell list is as follows:

True Strike (Is there any spell better for a Gish?
Gentle Repose (Not great)
Haste (Extra attack? Yes Please!)
Freedom of Movement (Not useless)

I know you're only getting these, but the domain gets much better

Permanency
Moment of Prescience
Foresight
Time Stop

War isn't to be overlooked either, Free Weapon Focus isn't terrible, Magic Weapon is a buff, Spiritual Weapon is helpful, Magic Vestments isn't great considering your level, and Divine Power gives +6 to strength, 1 HP per level, and BaB on your HD, effectively the best spell EVER for Gishes, granted you are almost full BaB, but still man, +6 is nothing to sneeze at.

EDIT:
Also, Sleep isn't bad. Immune to Fear effects,

Sleep (Useless, but hey, some mooks might get hit)
Augury (A little knowledge never hurt)
Deep Slumber (Slightly better Sleep, useful but not great)
Phantasmal Killer (Good)

Chronicled
2007-12-06, 07:36 PM
Strength gives you Righteous Might and some other very nice spells, War gives you Divine Power, and Time is very nice. Strength is probably the best choice.

You should try to pick a domain that maximizes the number of spells you're getting from the cleric spell list, rather than giving ones from the sorcerer list (since they still count as your spells known, i.e. the feat makes them available to select).

@TheLogman: You don't get the domain granted ability, unfortunately.

Yrnes
2007-12-06, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't get the domain ability, just the spells on your spell list. I did consider Time though, I'm glad you brought it up

Toliudar
2007-12-06, 07:41 PM
Time is not too shabby, you get Improved initiative, and the spell list is as follows.

Just a reminder that you're only getting the domain spells, not the domain ability.

Unless you're already taking care of this with other spells or magic items, Travel (Longstrider, Fly, Dimension door and Teleport are a great suite of spells to have at your disposal) is great. Strength is great for a melee character.

Chronicled
2007-12-06, 07:42 PM
Actually, looking again, Time is GREAT for clerics, because it only gives spells from the wizard/sorcerer list. That makes it a horrible choice for you, though.

Strength for Righteous Might is the way to go.

Healing could be interesting, letting you be a wand-healer.

Ponce
2007-12-06, 07:52 PM
I think Healing or Nature might work well. Keep in mind that with this feat, you use Wisdom for the DCs of the new spells, and you must additionally have a Wisdom equal to 10 + spell level to cast the spell from the list. In general, it is likely difficult for a wizard or sorcerer to have a high enough wisdom consistently. Plus, you're looking at only 1 spell / day / spell level. I would say any domain with non-wizard/sorc spells with long duration are probably your best bet, with emphasis on the lower level spells.

Chronicled
2007-12-06, 08:07 PM
I think Healing or Nature might work well. Keep in mind that with this feat, you use Wisdom for the DCs of the new spells, and you must additionally have a Wisdom equal to 10 + spell level to cast the spell from the list. In general, it is likely difficult for a wizard or sorcerer to have a high enough wisdom consistently. Plus, you're looking at only 1 spell / day / spell level. I would say any domain with non-wizard/sorc spells with long duration are probably your best bet, with emphasis on the lower level spells.

Quoted for Truth.

Douglas
2007-12-06, 08:09 PM
For a gish, Competition Domain is the best. It gets you both Divine Power and Righteous Might, two of the big three core cleric buffs (the other is Divine Favor) for just one domain. I'd go on about the awesomeness that is Greater Visage of the Deity too, except that you won't be getting 9th level spells for quite some time.

Courage is also good, mainly for Valiant Fury - +4 strength and con with a bonus type (morale) that you won't find anywhere else that I know of short of an epic bardic music feat. Heroes' Feast is a nice all-day whole-party buff too, but that only matters if you don't have a cleric to do it.

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 08:11 PM
Pride has a pretty nice list, and would be even better if you could take the granted power. Take a look at the Planar domains in SpC, IIRC they have two spells per level.

Maetugi
2007-12-06, 08:29 PM
I'm coming up on 15th level and I've discovered the juicy goodness of the Arcane Disciple feat. If you don't know, it allows you to pick one domain under your deity's portfolio and add those domain spells to your spell list.

So which deity does your character follow? Is he actually faithful or does he only attend during weddings and funerals?

Yrnes
2007-12-06, 09:01 PM
I believe the feat lets you pick a deity within one step of your alignment. I'm lawful good, but I don't have any divine spell casting class levels and never specified my deity. I tend to be highly amiable towards whoever the cleric behind me is worshiping at the time. No ones an atheist in a dungeon, after all.

Fizban
2007-12-06, 11:22 PM
To reiterate what others have alluded to: remember that Arcane Disciple only adds the spells to your class list. This means that you have to take them as spells known separately, which is why you want a domain that has as many non-wiz/sor spells as possible. And of course they're based off wisdom instead of your normal cha, so hope you've got a high enough wisdom to take the spells you're spending a feat to only make available.

Now, as for the feat itself, I thought you were able to cast them as much as you want once known. Since you're not actually gaining a domain, just adding the spells to your normal list of choices.

Iku Rex
2007-12-07, 12:13 AM
My current build is a Monk/Sorcerer/Abjurant Champ/Eldritch Knight, and even at 15th level I'm stuck with 4th level spells.How is that even possible? Without losing more than 2 BAB?

Anyway, you need to read the feat carefully before picking it. It's not as good as you think it is.

Yrnes
2007-12-07, 01:16 AM
How is that even possible? Without losing more than 2 BAB?

You only need enough base attack (5 I think) and first level arcane spells to take the class. I didn't include the 1 level of fighter I took, if anything more than the bonus feat and big hit die at first level.

After that 2 levels of sorcerer (+1 BAB) and 4 levels of monk (+3) qualified me the Abjurant Champion, and after 5 levels of that the Eldritch Knight, both of which have fighter progression BAB.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-07, 01:34 AM
Travel.

Not that travel is any good for a wizard, but just because Fharlaghn is my favorite deity. (I don't even have to think twice on the spelling anymore). It isn't like wizards can't afford to waste a feat.

Dode
2007-12-07, 01:43 AM
I'd say either Earth or Healing domains.
Earth has some great Druid battlefield-control and dungeoneering spells like Spike Stones and Shape Stone.
Healing domain because with it, your character is completely self-sufficient for healing.

Kaelik
2007-12-07, 01:44 AM
Travel.

Not that travel is any good for a wizard, but just because Fharlaghn is my favorite deity. (I don't even have to think twice on the spelling anymore). It isn't like wizards can't afford to waste a feat.

BLASPHEMY! Wizards can't afford to waste a feat! They have too many good options to choose from...MUST...MAKE...BATMAN.

Armads
2007-12-07, 04:49 AM
How about Luck? It gives Miracle as it's 9th level spell, as well as Freedom of Movement, which wizards don't get.

Kurald Galain
2007-12-07, 05:36 AM
How about Luck? It gives Miracle as it's 9th level spell, as well as Freedom of Movement, which wizards don't get.

This takes some care - you don't actually get that ninth level spell unless you have a 19 wisdom.

Also, Arcane Disciple works best with classes that can cast everything from their class list (i.e. beguilers and warmages, or wizards for that matter); a sorcerer will still need to spend one of his "spells known" slots on the spells gained, so it's not that great a combo.

deadseashoals
2007-12-07, 06:21 AM
For a gish, Competition Domain is the best. It gets you both Divine Power and Righteous Might, two of the big three core cleric buffs (the other is Divine Favor) for just one domain. I'd go on about the awesomeness that is Greater Visage of the Deity too, except that you won't be getting 9th level spells for quite some time.

Courage is also good, mainly for Valiant Fury - +4 strength and con with a bonus type (morale) that you won't find anywhere else that I know of short of an epic bardic music feat. Heroes' Feast is a nice all-day whole-party buff too, but that only matters if you don't have a cleric to do it.

This is the correct play.

Chronicled
2007-12-07, 06:37 AM
Indeed. Either of those would serve you well.

Darrin
2007-12-07, 08:46 AM
I'm pretty sure you don't get the domain ability, just the spells on your spell list. I did consider Time though, I'm glad you brought it up

If you need the domain ability, you can use the "Divine Sorcery" feat from Dragon #343. Sorcerer only, however. You get one domain spell to add to your sorcerer list of known spells for the rest of the day. And this is kind of cool... it's not Wisdom-dependent, so you cast it as an arcane spell with the save DC based on your Charisma.