PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF1e] I'm looking for more musical undead

questionmark693
2023-07-09, 08:47 PM
Hello friends and foes! I'm putting together some thematic encounters for my table, and while exploring undead in the Libris Mortis, I came across the Spectral Lyrist and Crypt Chanter, to be struck by inspiration - a musical troupe of undead enemies! Are there more of these somewhere? I'm open to third party on this, whether 3.5 or PF 1e.

daremetoidareyo
2023-07-09, 08:49 PM
Hello friends and foes! I'm putting together some thematic encounters for my table, and while exploring undead in the Libris Mortis, I came across the Spectral Lyrist and Crypt Chanter, to be struck by inspiration - a musical troupe of undead enemies! Are there more of these somewhere? I'm open to third party on this, whether 3.5 or PF 1e.

Bonesinger. I think it’s from ghostwalk.

questionmark693
2023-07-09, 09:05 PM
I was just thinking how I needed a leader for this troupe - that template looks great!

MultitudeMan
2023-07-09, 11:28 PM
I was just reminded of Ziz (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?641848-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-CXVIII&p=25366370&viewfull=1#post25366370), who uses Dirgesinger and Siren to great effect!

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-07-09, 11:43 PM
If 3rd party is usable, how about the various Carnival Krewe creatures, from Sword & Sorcery's Scarred Lands 3rd Edition Campaign Setting? You could add undead templates (such as necropolitan) to many of them. They'd certainly make for a crazy-memorable set of encounters, for sure.

questionmark693
2023-07-10, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the character - good stuff there!

Thanks for the mention of swords and sorcery, I'd forgotten they existed - sounds like a good direction to look into!

Saintheart
2023-07-10, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the character - good stuff there!

Thanks for the mention of swords and sorcery, I'd forgotten they existed - sounds like a good direction to look into!

Second vote for Sword & Sorcery's Scarred Lands monsters. Their original compendium -- the Creature Collection -- actually beat WOTC's own Monster Manual to publication, and even now 20 years later it's still a refreshing set of creatures with lots of very satisfying fluff. (That said, their mechanics were way off, and weren't fixed until SSS reissued the book two years later.) Carnival Krewe is all in the Creature Collection. I took a look through it as part of a slow meander through a bunch of old third party sourcebooks, here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25269427&postcount=219).

Doctor Despair
2023-07-10, 10:36 PM
Hopefully this resource (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QIKsct279kZgBNdCwQmstog3fuQrjNdxpnYq3VuNN48/edit?usp=sharing)I mostly put together will be helpful. 187 varieties of undead for your viewing pleasure.

Silva Stormrage
2023-07-10, 10:43 PM
I redid the Dirgesinger PRC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?607455-Dirgesinger-A-Redux-of-the-Tragic-Bard-PRC) class to be more powerful/flavorful if you wanted to use that and are open to homebrew.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-07-10, 10:48 PM
Second vote for Sword & Sorcery's Scarred Lands monsters. Their original compendium -- the Creature Collection -- actually beat WOTC's own Monster Manual to publication, and even now 20 years later it's still a refreshing set of creatures with lots of very satisfying fluff. (That said, their mechanics were way off, and weren't fixed until SSS reissued the book two years later.) Carnival Krewe is all in the Creature Collection. I took a look through it as part of a slow meander through a bunch of old third party sourcebooks, here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25269427&postcount=219).You mentioned in the other thread that "Carnival Krewe" was "eye-bleedingly uncool," except that term is actually a real thing used to describe the people who run parties during Carnival. According to Google and Wikipedia, anyway. The term is from the early 19th century.

The More You Know! *Star!*

Inevitability
2023-07-11, 01:44 AM
MMV's Taunting Haunt has Perform as a racial skill (though you'd obviously have to switch points away from comedy), gets Ghost Sound and Summon Instrument at-will, and can only be laid to rest via a 'battle of wits' (which can involve Perform checks). You could play up those elements pretty easily.

Saintheart
2023-07-11, 02:34 AM
You mentioned in the other thread that "Carnival Krewe" was "eye-bleedingly uncool," except that term is actually a real thing used to describe the people who run parties during Carnival. According to Google and Wikipedia, anyway. The term is from the early 19th century.

The More You Know! *Star!*

I said the name is eye-bleedingly uncool. And it is. Completely. Many real life things exist whose names are in that part of the uncool spectrum in the lexicon of Saintheart. Like trousers. Hydrants. Cataclysms. Lemon Yellow. All uncool. Will never climb up into the cool end of the range, ever. That portion is only reserved for names like Adidas. Do not cavil further. (The word 'cavil' is a verb and thus does not occupy part of the spectrum). I have spoken.

(And even if the name is uncool, the monsters certainly are not.)

Doctor Witch
2023-07-11, 04:14 AM
I've got nothing helpful to contribute but...

I propose calling any band of undead musicians "The Grateful Undead". Bonus points if their music creates illusions or causes hallucinations.

ShurikVch
2023-07-11, 03:13 PM
Libris Mortis have such examples of Undead as Dallia Thistledown (Female halfling lich bard 12), Shamila Garrick the Vampiric Piper (Female gnome vampire bard 10), and Zenami the Vampiric Harpy (no Bard levels - but Captivating Song)

Also, Ghoulish Harpy in Dragon Compendium

Spectral Harpist (Monsters of Faerūn)

And one of the first Death Knights of Greyhawk - Sir Minar Syrric of Darmen - was statted (Dragon #291) as Bard 12/Fighter 3