PDA

View Full Version : Swarmkeeper Sorcerer?

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-07-09, 11:51 PM
I like the idea of a Swarmkeeper Ranger, and am trying to figure out a way to multiclass into something that makes good use of the Gathered Swarm's forced movement option. Despite the MAD nature of it I keep coming back to Sorcerer because of Quicken. Optimally round 1 I'd Quicken some sort of area control spell and use the Ranger's extra attack to trigger the forced movement. At low levels that would likely be Spike Growth.

I'm thinking 1/2 Elf for the extra point since it's MAD. We use point buy, so initial Scores would be Str 9, Dex 14, Con (13) 14, Int 8, Wis (15) 16, and Cha (14) 16.
Start Ranger and take the Druidic Warrior Fighting Style at 2nd for Shillelagh (note that when in a dungeon our table agrees that Shillelagh can be up continuously and roll a d10 to determine how many rounds are left if combat starts), then take a Wis ASI at 4th to bump it to 18, as Ranger Spells, Shillelagh, and the Gathered Swarm forced movement key off of this. Continue Ranger until 5th, then start taking Sorc levels.

I'm haven't figured out if any Sorc Subclass would be a benefit to this build, so I'd welcome ideas here. At 9th (Ranger 5/ Sorc 4) I think I need to take Warcaster; until then I'm pretty much stuck using Ranger spells in combat. At 13th (Ranger 5/ Sorc 8) I'd be able to bump Cha to 18. That's about all I have at the moment.

In cruising around the net, one site I found ranked Sorc as the worst multi-class combo for Rangers: yep, 12th out of 12. Yes, it's MAD, and waiting until 13th level to get an 18 in Cha isn't good. On the other hand, Quicken is good on characters that do more than just cantrip for their action, so extra attack + forced movement looks nice. Also, shillelagh mitigates the MADness somewhat. Is there anything I'm missing or could make this difficult combo work better?

Parra
2023-07-10, 01:44 AM
A genie lock + Swarm keeper gives excellent forced movement options. Eldritch blasting with some combination of Grasp of Hadar,Repelling Blast, and Lance of Lethargy coupled with the swarm movement makes for some pretty nifty forced movement options.

Sure the swarm DC never gets that high, but that its on every hit means it goes off often enough. Dao Genie gives you your Spike Growth and a feat will get you your Quicken spell. You could even add Crusher in there if you find yourself an extra feat somewhere.

Hiro Quester
2023-07-10, 10:59 AM
Ranger/Cleric can be a good multiclass, and clerics have one of the best area control and damage options: Spirit guardians.

Once SG is up, you can move to be [put the enemy] next to the SG effect, then shoot them with your bow and use the forced movement of your swarm to yank them into the area of SG, taking damage on your turn. And then they take damage when they begin their turn in the area too.

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-07-10, 01:51 PM
Ranger/Cleric can be a good multiclass, and clerics have one of the best area control and damage options: Spirit guardians.

Once SG is up, you can move to be next to the SG effect, then shoot them with your bow and use the forced movement of your swarm to yank them into the area of SG, taking damage on your turn. And then they take damage when they begin their turn in the area too.

I played a SG focused Cleric recently, so I was trying to go a different direction with this character, and I'm pretty sold on Quicken to get combat off with a bang. I was thinking one way to simplify the build to make it a little less MAD was to just take 3 levels of Sorc. That way I only need a 13 in Cha, and it can stay that way. I'd be taking Sorc primarily for the Metamagics, a few Sorc Points, and Font of Magic to convert spell slots into more Sorc Points as needed. Additionally I'd get a few good reaction spells and whatever subclass benefits applied, maybe Favored by the Gods from Divine Soul.

Sherlockpwns
2023-07-11, 12:49 AM
All you really need is 13cha and cloud of daggers if you want to keep it very simple. No save so no MAD issue.

follacchioso
2023-07-11, 08:30 AM
I agree with the guide you found online - this is one of the worst possible combinations.

Sorcerer will get you a few utility spells. For example, Shield and Absorb Elements for more defence; Fog Cloud for hiding; some flavour cantrips such as Water Shape and Mold Earth; Expeditious Retreat and Kinetic Jaunt for mobility; and a few others. I wouldn't go for anything that relies on your CHA score, though.

One Sorcerer Subclass could be Shadow Magic: you get a better Darkvision, and a chance to resist a lethal blow, although you will not have max CHA. At lv 3, you get to create darkness and see in it, which is great for a ranged ranger with sharpshooter.

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-07-11, 02:19 PM
All you really need is 13cha and cloud of daggers if you want to keep it very simple. No save so no MAD issue.

That's kind of why I'm thinking of only 3 levels of Sorc now; focus more on being a martial. Though our other DM commented to me that if I'm mostly using the 3 Sorc levels to convert upper level slots to sorcery points for Quicken, I might be just as far ahead with 2-3 levels of fighter to accomplish the same (or better) thing with Action Surge 1/ SR. We usually get 2 SRs in, so that'd be 3 combats a day I'd be able to cast a spell, attack, use the Gathered Swarm... and whatever BA I come up with. And I'm not as MAD and can probably go with a ranged build; given the fighter goodies on top of that I'm starting to work my way back to a more conventional build.