PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jar Build

Fero
2023-07-10, 04:12 PM
I have a lonstanding obsession with the Magic Jar spell but have never built a character around it. I am curious if anyone else has ever made Magic Jar a major part of their character and, if so, what their experience was.

Paragon
2023-07-10, 04:27 PM
Someone in the current "how did you get kicked from a game you tried to powergame ?" Thread did get kicked for it so maybe they have clues ^^

Zanos
2023-07-10, 05:55 PM
It's one of the single best spells in the game, letting you play as whatever creature you can just so happen to capture for 1hr per cl, while also basically giving you a buff that lets you take a standard action to Save or Lose one target every round. Playing around magic jar is basically that you spend your standard action every round forcing the toughest dude among the enemy team to fight the rest of them until he dies, then you automatically abandon his lifeless corpse and repeat the process until you win. Alternatively, you permanently soul-nap the strongest creature the DM sends at you because he's upset with your hilarious abuse of necromancy, and are now functionally invincible.

A magic jar "build" is basically getting to level 9. Take SF/GSF for necromancy if you want. The rest is all just spells and gear, just build some kind of metal sarcophagus with air holes that you keep your real body in so it isn't sitting there lifeless on the ground while you magic jar around.

ciopo
2023-07-10, 06:12 PM
The one time I tried to play with magic jar, I got countered with protection from evil, which is right there in the description. No conga line of progressively more difficult enemies to take control over, but a squad of properly protected monster hunters whose organization exists against "the damn bosysnatchers"

First I did manage to have some fun with it for a while tho

Paragon
2023-07-10, 11:41 PM
Well Protection from X doesn't remove the Magic Jar effect, it just suppresses it for the duration of the former spell which is min/levels opposed to the latter's hour/level.

Granted if they know something is wrong they have a few minutes to act before you go bananas again but still, it's good pressure

Zanos
2023-07-11, 12:29 AM
Or just, ya'know, dispel the first level spell. Or beat the crap out of them with your stolen devil/demon/angel/giant/dragon body.

ciopo
2023-07-11, 12:44 AM
Angel body? the protective aura angel body, that angel body?

Anyway, @OP, magic jar is very fun to play around with, but make sure your GM is along for the ride if you plan to permanently inhabit something else/jump bodies willy nilly

Zanos
2023-07-11, 01:07 AM
Funny you mention possessing angels, considering they all have a stinky (su) always active, magic circle against evil, aura.
Which can be lowered or dispelled; something that isn't too difficult if you already have one helpless. That said angels usually aren't the best hosts, since you don't get many of their best abilities. They have very good movement options, I suppose.

Harrow
2023-07-11, 01:47 AM
What are the best bodies for Magic Jar, including "availability"?

You could use a Planar Ally spell to pick something up, but that doesn't seem like a good idea. The Planar Binding line seems to assume that you're casting the spell to bargain in good faith, not including a clause for if you just want to take whatever you're calling for a joyride whether it approves or not, but it should still be possible. This limits you to bodies of 6 HD for the lesser version at 5th level spells, 12 HD at 6th level spells, and 18 HD at 8th level spells. You could use Magic Jar on something you Gated in, but that seems like jumping through hoops that aren't really necessary if you can just cast Gate. There are also the Dragon Ally spells, which work similar to Planar Binding, offering you a dragon of 15 HD at 5th level spells, 18 HD at 7th level spells, and 22 HD at 9th level spells. Though again, at 9th level spells, just pulling something through a Gate and pointing it at your problems seems simpler.

The Planar Binding spells specify that that work with creatures of the outsider type, and I don't know of any rule saying they don't work on templated creatures, so you should be able to get Half-Fiends to pick up anything living and corporeal with 4+ Int that's under the given HD cap. Dragon Ally doesn't actually specify whether it's based off of the Dragon type, or if they have to be True Dragons. If the former, then Half-Dragon works much the same way Half-Fiend does for Planar Binding.

Assuming that Dragon Ally can only be used on True Dragons, what's the best body you can bring to yourself? Lesser Planar Binding can give you a Half-Fiend Troll, which is probably going to have better physical stats than your Wizard and Regeneration on top. Are there any True Dragons at 15 HD or less that can reasonably compete with that?

Zanos
2023-07-11, 02:16 AM
Anything you can manufacture really. Some sentient undead would be on the table, and obviously that brings a host of very nice immunites and durability, especially if you just want to drop the body on the floor and crowd surf. Not like they can CDG an undead.

You could use a Planar Ally spell to pick something up, but that doesn't seem like a good idea. The Planar Binding line seems to assume that you're casting the spell to bargain in good faith, not including a clause for if you just want to take whatever you're calling for a joyride whether it approves or not, but it should still be possible. This limits you to bodies of 6 HD for the lesser version at 5th level spells, 12 HD at 6th level spells, and 18 HD at 8th level spells. You could use Magic Jar on something you Gated in, but that seems like jumping through hoops that aren't really necessary if you can just cast Gate. There are also the Dragon Ally spells, which work similar to Planar Binding, offering you a dragon of 15 HD at 5th level spells, 18 HD at 7th level spells, and 22 HD at 9th level spells. Though again, at 9th level spells, just pulling something through a Gate and pointing it at your problems seems simpler.
Planar Ally is answered by your god or aligned power, so kidnapping them for joyrides seems like a bad idea to me unless your god is especially capricious or you have some arrangement that it calls up stuff for you to bully. Magic Jar is also a wiz/sor only spell, so that complicates access. Planar Binding is a different story; you are not bargaining in good faith, the spell is effectively a prison that you cram an unwilling outsider into and then make them barter with you to set them free. Outsiders get saves and SR against the initial casting of planar binding and have all kinds of rules to escape the spell for a reason; there's also plenty of examples in the books of planar binder being used to essentially enslave creatures. Off the top of my head, there was a pit fiend enslaved for centuries that deeply resented it's service, and a lich that bound some minor demon and is stated to wildly use area of effect spells without caring whether or not the demons are inside the effect.

Dragon Ally costs xp, and the dragon is not bound in any way. Although if you're an enterprising body snatcher, conjuring a creature into a space you control should provide ample opportunity to render it helpless. That said, I'd be a little bit more careful about my target selection with dragons. Metallic dragons specifically are probably not going to appreciate a mortal body-snatching their kin, and unlike outsiders, dragons make the material plane their home. But that's between you and your DM, could never come up. I've lost track of how many dead dragons I've reanimated and nobody ever came looking for revenge.

The Planar Binding spells specify that that work with creatures of the outsider type, and I don't know of any rule saying they don't work on templated creatures, so you should be able to get Half-Fiends to pick up anything living and corporeal with 4+ Int that's under the given HD cap. Dragon Ally doesn't actually specify whether it's based off of the Dragon type, or if they have to be True Dragons. If the former, then Half-Dragon works much the same way Half-Fiend does for Planar Binding.
Gigantic can of worms. If your DM allows this nothing prevents you from binding something with dozens and dozens of templates stacked on it, and some templates can be stacked repeatedly. But hell, just start with throwing paragon on there: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm

Assuming that Dragon Ally can only be used on True Dragons, what's the best body you can bring to yourself? Lesser Planar Binding can give you a Half-Fiend Troll, which is probably going to have better physical stats than your Wizard and Regeneration on top. Are there any True Dragons at 15 HD or less that can reasonably compete with that?
Keep in mind you're going to be using the creatures hp while you're surfing it. A troll is nice, but only has 6hd, greatly limiting its staying power in a fight, even with regeneration, and has no special movement modes. Ideally the best bodies can speak and use somatic components, and having bipedal equipment slots is a bonus. Dragons fit almost all categories, even being called out in draconomicon as having all normal humanoid equipment slots, or variants of them that are compatible with printed items.

White dragons 1. hate eachother and 2. are morons. 19/10/17 isn't a fantastic physical statline, but you can stack up on that with buffs. You get 142hp, 60 land, 30 burrow, 150 fly, 60 swim, and icewalking(very useful with certain spells), cold subtype, DR 5/magic, 23 AC, 16 SR, and frightful presence. The fire vulnerability might hurt sometimes, but I think the full suite of movement options and the large health pool make up for it. If create undead is avaliable you can turn one into a bone/corpse creature(probably bone) for undead immunities and more benefits, as well. There might be a sentient undead template you can apply with just animate dead, but I can't recall. There might be a better option, but that's a pretty nice one just in the SRD. The problem with dragon forms is that the dex sucks.

The "best" bodies are probably ones with automatic (su) or (ex) abilities that you don't activate, since those are retained. Probably, like with shapechange, a chronotryn or dire tortoise, if you can get your hands on one somehow. But bodysurfing a dragon is much cooler than being a turtle and plenty strong enough for most games.

sleepyphoenixx
2023-07-11, 02:26 AM

The Serpentir (MMV) is probably one of the top contenders. It gets dual actions (two rounds worth of actions every round) and immunity to cold & flanking in addition to standard undead immunities. Also 20 Dex, 50ft speed, 20ft climb speed and 4 natural attacks.

You can make them yourself with Create Undead (CL 10).

SimonMoon6
2023-07-11, 09:09 AM
A magic jar "build" is basically getting to level 9. Take SF/GSF for necromancy if you want. The rest is all just spells and gear, just build some kind of metal sarcophagus with air holes that you keep your real body in so it isn't sitting there lifeless on the ground while you magic jar around.

I would say that it might be important to take the "Imprison Possessor" spell (from BoVD) as well. This is how you get Magic Jar to become permanent (until dispelled, of course).

My main concern with Magic Jar is: How do your protect your original body? My thoughts roam towards "Flesh to Stone" followed by "Shrink Item" so you can carry it around with you.

But really, I would say that it might be better to instead be a psion (or maybe anyone with the Use Psionic Device skill) to be able to use the True Mind Switch power, since it has an instantaneous duration, so you don't have to worry about it getting dispelled.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as bodies to take over go, I think a good "starter" body (something you wear for a while until you can find something more powerful) would be an erinyes. It gives you some decent stat boosts (nothing game breaking), looks reasonably human (you might be able to bluff people into thinking you're an angel), and doesn't have a ridiculously high Will save (which isn't that important but sort of is when you're lower level).

Fero
2023-07-11, 02:22 PM
I would say that it might be important to take the "Imprison Possessor" spell (from BoVD) as well. This is how you get Magic Jar to become permanent (until dispelled, of course).

Wow, I never noticed the (D) in the duration. That is a crazy good combo. Now I just need to find a way to combo it with a Fang of Inhabitation and I am all set.

Akal Saris
2023-07-14, 03:48 PM
I had a fun build idea to play a female halfling necromancer with the minimal height/weight possible (27lbs) and a permanencied reduce person on her (3.4lbs). Then, as soon as she successfully casts Magic Jar on an opponent, her invisible imp familiar would fly over and pick up the gem and its tiny master, put them in a bag, and then fly off to safety.

Thunder999
2023-07-14, 04:08 PM
You probably want Eschew Materials if you're really dedicating yourself to Magic Jar, simply because most things you possess won't have a component pouch.

Akal Saris
2023-07-14, 07:01 PM
You probably want Eschew Materials if you're really dedicating yourself to Magic Jar, simply because most things you possess won't have a component pouch.

Ooh, good point! That's something easy to overlook.

I think it would also be ideal to take levels later on in a gish prestige class like abjurant champion, so that you have the BAB to take advantage of strong melee 'hosts' like giants or dragons.

Harrow
2023-07-14, 09:57 PM
This thread gave me a build idea. Start with Dragonfire Adept, 11 levels at the very least. Extend Spell, Iron Will, Hardened Criminal (Use Magic Device), and max ranks in UMD are essential. You'll need either ridiculous Charisma or to pick up some other boosts to UMD as well. Buy a Minor Schema (1/day scroll, basically) of Magic Jar, caster level 13, for 26,000 gold and another of Metamagic Scroll at CL 2 for 800 gold. You can then use Planar Binding (wizard in your party, spellcasting services, regular scrolls, take your pick) to pull in a hezrou. You can then slap it with a Baleful Geas and give it the order to accept you taking it over with Magic Jar. This doesn't technically kill it, so I don't think it can refuse the order. You can then use the Metamagic Scroll schema to add Extend to the Magic Jar schema, giving yourself 26 hours of Magic Jar, refreshing every 24 hours.

Congratulations, you're a hideous, fire-breathing toad demon! With 29 Constitution! Maybe more if you opt for an advanced hezrou, but that comes with its own complications. If you don't want people to run screaming, you can also use the Humanoid Shape invocation, which should guarantee being able to walk around town and use normal magic items while keeping most of the stuff a DFA would want from being a hezrou.

You still need to do something about your real body. A hezrou is tanky enough when you first gain access to it, especially once you start to kit it out in magic items, but there's always the possibility of death, especially as you get higher level.

Gruftzwerg
2023-07-19, 12:25 AM
Anything you can manufacture really. Some sentient undead would be on the table, and obviously that brings a host of very nice immunites and durability, especially if you just want to drop the body on the floor and crowd surf. Not like they can CDG an undead.

You are mentioning "anything you can manufacture" but don't refer to awesome constructs?^^
Imho I would go with an Animated Object for the 20hardness (be creative and get all the extra goodies possible). Easy to get and expendable without getting into alignment problems (if you don't wanna be evil).

My main concern with Magic Jar is: How do your protect your original body? My thoughts roam towards "Flesh to Stone" followed by "Shrink Item" so you can carry it around with you.
My Gaara/Mumm-ra build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?647381) has a similar problem to solve (hiding his canopic jars). Here a quote of my solution:

- Word of Genesis to create our own demiplane
- Forbiddance (or buy a Weirdstone) to keep everybody out.
- use one Animated Sand minion to burrow the canopic jars deep into the ground
- order the Animated Sand to guard the jars for eternity
- use Miracle to cast Private Sanctum and make it permanent via Permanency. Nobody shall ever know that this demiplane exists! ^^
- use Miracle or some other teleportation spell to get out

Wow, I never noticed the (D) in the duration. That is a crazy good combo. Now I just need to find a way to combo it with a Fang of Inhabitation and I am all set.
May I ask what Fang of Inhabitation is? A quick google search didn't bring up much results..

Fero
2023-07-19, 08:31 AM
[I][COLOR="#0000FF"]

May I ask what Fang of Inhabitation is? A quick google search didn't bring up much results..

Actually, the combo doesn't work as I thought and the Fang presents it's own problems. That said, the Fang of Inhabitation is an item from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (pg 212) that changes Magic Jar to be more of a full replacement (ie you lose all your abilities but gain all of the abilities of the host). I think it also makes the duration permanent by default.

sleepyphoenixx
2023-07-19, 09:39 AM
Actually, the combo doesn't work as I thought and the Fang presents it's own problems. That said, the Fang of Inhabitation is an item from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (pg 212) that changes Magic Jar to be more of a full replacement (ie you lose all your abilities but gain all of the abilities of the host). I think it also makes the duration permanent by default.

You lose all of your own abilities, get all of the abilities of your host, the duration changes to permanent and the spell can't be dispelled or suppressed by any means (would that apply in an AMF?).
The only way to remove you is to kill you or separate you from the fang far enough to go beyond the spells range.

Downside (aside from the lost abilities) is that it's 18k gp for 2 uses (ever, not per day).

There was also an online article with an Amulet of Spirit Storing (basically an item of permanent Magic Jar that auto-triggers if you die). Unfortunately the wayback machine doesn't have a link.

Crake
2023-07-19, 06:23 PM
To everyone suggesting possessing outsiders, its worth noting that its not actually possible with magic jar. Magic jar displaces the soul from the body, and thus does not work on creatures that lack a dual nature, such as outsiders, as their soul and body are one unit, one cannot be displaced from the other. Likewise, an outsider using magic jar should technically not leave behind a body, as their soul entering the gem would mean their body would follow, since theyre one unit

Fero
2023-07-20, 09:00 AM
To everyone suggesting possessing outsiders, its worth noting that its not actually possible with magic jar. Magic jar displaces the soul from the body, and thus does not work on creatures that lack a dual nature, such as outsiders, as their soul and body are one unit, one cannot be displaced from the other. Likewise, an outsider using magic jar should technically not leave behind a body, as their soul entering the gem would mean their body would follow, since theyre one unit

Do you happen to know if the outsiders unified nature is in the rules or if it is instead commonly accepted game lore? I always played this way but think it would be good to know if magic jar does not work on outsiders RaW.

Crake
2023-07-20, 09:35 AM
Do you happen to know if the outsiders unified nature is in the rules or if it is instead commonly accepted game lore? I always played this way but think it would be good to know if magic jar does not work on outsiders RaW.

its under the creature type rules:

"Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry."

The same applies to elementals, and I think incorporeal undead have some similar rules as well, or maybe it's just simply due to the fact that they don't actually have a body, can't remember exactly.

Now, how it interacts with magic jar is entirely an extrapolation of that rule, magic jar doesn't explicitly call out any different interaction with outsiders or elementals, but given that the spell says it displaces the soul from the body, and that outsiders and elementals' bodies ARE their souls, I can think of a couple of outcomes:

- The outsider's soul (and thus also it's body) is drawn into the gem, effectively trapping the creature in there, but leaving the caster's soul displaced, which then results in this unfortunate outcome: "Any life force with nowhere to go is treated as slain." You trap the outsider for hours/level at the cost of your own life.
- You occupy the outsider's body, but since it's soul and body are one unit, you now have a joint occupation of the outsider's body. Probably a charisma check to control the body each round if the DM is favourable.

Mind switch runs into equally as many problems, since it also interacts with souls, generally, just don't do it, it's a bad idea.

Zanos
2023-07-20, 02:27 PM
The RAW on this is pretty clear that you can possess outsiders. The only effect provided by resurrection spells is that you can't use a raise spell that restores a soul to a body; this doesn't mean that the concept of an outsiders body without its soul does not exist. Outsiders leave corpses behind under some circumstances, and can animated by undead creation spells. Evil outsiders can become Lichfiends. Libris Mortis explicitly lists Glabrezu skeletons and Vrock zombies as example monsters. Demons specifically have a resolution to their death throes in FC1 that has a separate 'essence' return to the abyss while a corpse remains behind.

Extrapolating the impact of an outsiders lack of a dual nature to mean anything other than what it explicitly says in the creature type clearly isn't appropriate based on how the rest of the rules treat them.

Fero
2023-07-20, 03:34 PM
The RAW on this is pretty clear that you can possess outsiders. . . this doesn't mean that the concept of an outsiders body without its soul does not exist. . .

With regard to the second statement, the SRD explicitly states that the outsider's "soul and body form one unit. . ." This does not mean that dead outsiders don't have corpses. In fact, the same passage seems to consider the existence of of outsider corpses as targets for resurection/wish spells. However, the corpse and the soul are the same. The outsider's soul does not seperate from its body to ascend to an outer plane like a mortal's soul would. Instead, the body/corpse simply lies there until some force reforms the outsider. This is why resurrection effects that unite corpses and souls don't work on outsiders. There is nothing to unite.

Of course, a DM could ignore the soul/body rule as mere fluff to justify the resurection restriction. However, absent such a ruling players should treat the rule that an outsider's body and soul are one and the same as a rule of the game.

With regards to the first statement, I am not aware of anything in RaW that explicitly states you can/cannot possess an outsider's soul/body. Therefore, the default RaW is that you can, as a general matter, possess outsiders. However, Magic Jar explicitly traps the hosts soul in the jar. In this case, the host's soul is its body. As such, the caster would possess the host's body, which in turn, would be trapped in the jar.

Of course, this ignores RaI and consistent world building. I suspect many DMs would either disregard the soul/body rule (except limiting resurrections) or, alternatively rule that you cannot possess outsiders.

Zanos
2023-07-20, 03:48 PM
With regard to the second statement, the SRD explicitly states that the outsider's "soul and body form one unit. . ." This does not mean that dead outsiders don't have corpses. In fact, the same passage seems to consider the existence of of outsider corpses as targets for resurection/wish spells. However, the corpse and the soul are the same. The outsider's soul does not seperate from its body to ascend to an outer plane like a mortal's soul would. Instead, the body/corpse simply lies there until some force reforms the outsider. This is why resurrection effects that unite corpses and souls don't work on outsiders. There is nothing to unite.

Of course, a DM could ignore the soul/body rule as mere fluff to justify the resurection restriction. However, absent such a ruling players should treat the rule that an outsider's body and soul are one and the same as a rule of the game.

With regards to the first statement, I am not aware of anything in RaW that explicitly states you can/cannot possess an outsider's soul/body. Therefore, the default RaW is that you can, as a general matter, possess outsiders. However, Magic Jar explicitly traps the hosts soul in the jar. In this case, the host's soul is its body. As such, the caster would possess the host's body, which in turn, would be trapped in the jar.

Of course, this ignores RaI and consistent world building. I suspect many DMs would either disregard the soul/body rule (except limiting resurrections) or, alternatively rule that you cannot possess outsiders.
Lichfiend doesn't agree with this. The mechanics for Devil and Demon death in the fiendish codex both disagree with this, allowing for corpses to remain while an "essence" escapes. There are demons with magic jar as an SLA with no special notes that the mechanic is resolved differently. The entry for outsiders explains that the body and soul are one unit and then provides what game mechanics that effects. Magic jar is not one of them. Both how the mechanics are written and how other rules treat the mechanics disagree with the idea that magic jar is resolved differently for outsiders. Clearly it's not even RAI if they don't bother to mention even on the demon entries that HAVE magic jar that their entire body disappears when they use the ability.

Fero
2023-07-20, 06:36 PM
Lichfiend doesn't agree with this. The mechanics for Devil and Demon death in the fiendish codex both disagree with this, allowing for corpses to remain while an "essence" escapes. There are demons with magic jar as an SLA with no special notes that the mechanic is resolved . . . .

I am curious about the lichfiend and the mechanics for Devil/Demon death. Do you happen to recall what book has the lichfiend what section of the FC I or II describe these fiendish essences? I would like to read up on them.

Magic Jar as a SLA is very interesting. SLAs don't use foci. Where do the souls even go for a Magic Jar SLA? I feel like answering this question could open some interesting possibilities.

Crake
2023-07-20, 06:43 PM
Magic Jar as a SLA is very interesting. SLAs don't use foci. Where do the souls even go for a Magic Jar SLA? I feel like answering this question could open some interesting possibilities.

Yeah, outsiders that have magic jar as an sla effectively are pseudo fiends of possession, they dont use a gem, they directly possess their victim’s body, and since their soul is their body, they leave nothing behind when they possess creatures.

Wouldnt it be less consistent and against RAI to ignore the very clearly written statement of how outsiders interact with their souls and bodies? Pathfinder resolved this issue by having the possession and greater possession spells, which note that outsiders do not leave behind bodies when using it, and allows for two souls to inhabit one body, fixing the issue of possessing an outsider when its soul is trapped inside the gem.

Fero
2023-07-20, 06:59 PM
Yeah, outsiders that have magic jar as an sla effectively are pseudo fiends of possession, they dont use a gem, they directly possess their victim’s body, and since their soul is their body, they leave nothing behind when they possess creatures.

Wouldnt it be less consistent and against RAI to ignore the very clearly written statement of how outsiders interact with their souls and bodies? Pathfinder resolved this issue by having the possession and greater possession spells, which note that outsiders do not leave behind bodies when using it, and allows for two souls to inhabit one body, fixing the issue of possessing an outsider when its soul is trapped inside the gem.

Re first paragraph: That is awesome and sounds like the foundation for a cool build :).

Re second paragraph: I meant the RaW analysis did not consider RaI and worldbuilding. I can see reasonable DMs disagreeing on what the body/soul rules mean and what the drafters intended. Pathfinder's solution seemels like a good/logical one for this situation.

Crake
2023-07-20, 07:03 PM
Re first paragraph: That is awesome and sounds like the foundation for a cool build :).

Re second paragraph: I meant the RaW analysis did not consider RaI and worldbuilding. I can see reasonable DMs disagreeing on what the body/soul rules mean and what the drafters intended. Pathfinder's solution seemels like a good/logical one for this situation.

Generally, when I want to utilize possession mechanics, Ill just use the much more comprehensive fiend of possession rules, and it makes for a more compelling villain i think.

The mechanics for Devil and Demon death in the fiendish codex both disagree with this, allowing for corpses to remain while an "essence" escapes.

The fiendish codex mechanics are specifically for demons, they dont apply to devils. Demons are a special case, because of their connection to the raw chaos of the abyss, and their ability to be reincarnated through it. Most other outsiders remain dead once killed, and their soul/body slowly evaporates back to their home plane.

Lichfiend, I dont have any response for, its basically a footnote in libris mortis, probably written by someone who didnt understand the outsider soul mechanics, and just thought “this would be cool!”