PDA

View Full Version : Anauroch: Empire of Shade OOC

Pages : [1] 2

paradox26
2023-07-11, 02:32 AM
Hi everyone. Please enter here and pick your colurs for speech, then introduce yourselves. I will get the IC thread going shortly.

Recruitment thread link: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?657314-Forgotten-Realms-3-5-adventure

IC thread link: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?657805-Anauroch-Empire-of-Shade-IC

rax
2023-07-11, 04:31 AM
rax here, playing Sir Aubryn "Blackscale" Amcathra (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2809826), a fairly stereotypical noble knight. He'll be speaking in fire brick.

For ease of reference, here's a picture and the description, personality and background fields from his character sheet:

https://i.postimg.cc/htxkmyyQ/Blackwall4b.jpg

Broad-shouldered, muscular, and handsome, Aubryn's hair and beard are coal black and fastidiously kept. He has Azoun IV's brown eyes and those who knew Azoun well can clearly see traces of the king in Aubryn's facial features. A light dusting of dark scales, clawed hands, and a fang-toothed smile are all telltale signs of Aubryn's draconic transformation. Although his face is unscarred, he bears the marks of many battles on the rest of his body, but these are usually hidden by his full plate harness.

Dashing, courageous, and intensely loyal to his family, Aubryn also juggles a deep sense of duty to both Cormyr and Waterdeep. He is naturally mischievous and enjoys teasing those who take themselves too seriously. Laughter, he contends, is good for the soul, and even more so when times are dark.

Aubryn respects those who strive to better themselves and to make the world a kinder and more prosperous place, but also those who fight to protect hearth and kin, as long as they refrain from cruel and dishonourable deeds. Naturally, he himself strives to be an exemplar of chivalric conduct. In Aubryn's view, the end most certainly doesn't justify the means.

Aubryn's strong good looks, light-hearted manner, and prestigious family name have made him a favourite among the noble ladies of Waterdeep, Cormyr and points inbetween. For his part, Aubryn is not one to turn down an impassioned tryst or two, but he is always careful to conduct his affairs discreetly if there's the slightest chance of scandal.

Thirty-five years old, Sir Aubryn Amcathra is a veteran adventurer and campaigner. A bastard son of King Azoun IV of Cormyr and Lady Olenna Amcathra, he was afflicted with wanderlust from a young age, eschewing the political games of Waterdeep's noble families for a life of honourable service and glorious combat. His first taste of battle came as a young squire in the Dragonspear War, when Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate allied to defeat the devils of Dragonspear Castle in the Year of the Worm (1356 DR).

The Time of Troubles saw him away from Waterdeep in Tethyr, riding with Lady Bloodhawk and her Company of the Red Falcon as they battled an army of monsters that surged forth from the Forest of Tethir. As a result, he missed the attack of Myrkul's Legion and the battle that ultimately destroyed the Lord of Bones, something he rues to this day. Shaken by the danger to his family and city, Aubryn resolved to give up his wandering ways and accepted a commission as an officer of the City Guard.

As it turned out, Aubryn's career in the Guard was brief. Barely a year had passed when rumours reached Waterdeep of the Tuigan Horde ravaging Thay and Rashemen, and soon thereafter King Azoun IV of Cormyr put out his call for warriors of the western lands to join his crusade. Smitten by the king's appeal and the idea of fighting by his father's side in such a noble endeavour, Aubryn resigned his commission and hurried to Cormyr to join Azoun's growing army. During the battles that followed, he comported himself with valour and skill, and was personally knighted by King Azoun on the field of battle. Privately, Azoun recognized Aubryn as his son and introduced him to his half-sister, Princess Alusair.

After the end of the crusade, Aubryn remained in Cormyr for a few years, adventuring around the Sea of Fallen Stars. He came to love the Forest Kingdom as much as he did Waterdeep, and also grew very fond of the Dalelands. He took time to visit his cousin Mourngrym, Lord of Shadowdale, and lent his sword to the cause of Randal Morn in the latter's battles against the Zhentarim. Around this time he also began a mystical journey to "awaken the dragon within", a quest which was ultimately successful in the Year of the Wyvern (1363 DR). The accompanying physical transformation led a sharp-tongued romantic rival to dub him "Blackscale", but the newly empowered Aubryn ignored the intended insult and instead appropriated the epithet as a badge of honour.

Aubryn finally returned to Waterdeep in the Year of the Sword (1365 DR), after a particularly bittersweet affair with a lady of House Crownsilver. Trying to drown his sorrow, he spent the better part of a year drinking his way through the seedier festhalls of the city until Lord Arilos, patriarch of House Amcathra, managed to appeal to his sense of duty by asking him to keep a watchful eye on Regnet, his younger brother and heir, who had an unhealthy fascination with dungeon delving.

Aubryn accepted the job, but soon found that Regnet was well able to look after himself with the aid of his companions in the Deep Delvers adventuring company. He did as Arilos bid, however, and stuck close to Regnet, even accompanying him on forays into Undermountain every so often. This activity was enough to spark a renewed interest in Aubryn to serve his city, and he successfully petitioned to join the elite Gray Hands company. Apart from a steady string of life or death battles, this also brought him into daily contact with the Lords of Waterdeep, especially Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun and his consort Laeral Silverhand. He also began an affair with the fiery half-elf sorceress Carolyas Idogyr, a fellow Gray Hands member.

Aubryn's membership in the Gray Hands has put him at the forefront of all the major battles to have afflicted Waterdeep in recent years, from the attack by an army of sea creatures in Ches of the Year of the Gauntlet (1369 DR) to the events of Halaster's Higharvestide later the same year. It also prevented him from coming to Cormyr's aid in the Goblin War (1370-1371 DR), and he was greatly saddened when news reached Waterdeep that King Azoun IV had been slain in combat with the so-called Devil Dragon.

In the Year of Wild Magic (1372 DR) he was part of the relief army led by Laeral Silverhand to raise the phaerimm siege of Evereska. In the aftermath of the siege and the breakdown of the alliance with the Shadovar of Shade, Laeral requested Aubryn to continue onwards to Cormyr as her and Khelben's personal representative to his half-sister Alusair, now the "Steel Regent" of Cormyr. Thus, Aubryn found himself on hand when a series of ominous events involving followers of Shar came to Alusair's notice in the Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)...

Palanan
2023-07-11, 06:51 AM
Checking in, very much appreciate being selected.

Currently in a small work and life crunch, but will check in when I'm able. For now here is the sheet for Erynessë (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2807737).

EDIT: Also, might want to check the link in the OP for the IC thread, it seems to lead to a thread-creating post...?

BelGareth
2023-07-11, 09:49 AM
Adama, ancestor of Ciraxis the Great ice dragon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2810812)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1004224650273902683/1126257956783140955/belgareth_human_Dragon_descendant_monk_epic_fantas y_faerun_cfba87f6-1752-40ee-9b4a-d87e882a0d77.png?width=642&height=642

Adama, Sire of Ciraxis the Great Ice Dragon, a human monk and Dragon Descendant, possesses a unique and complex backstory. Here's a short narrative based on the information provided:

Born into a lineage closely tied to the ancient white dragon, Ciraxis, Adama's life was steeped in power and privilege from the very beginning. Raised within the icy realms where his draconic progenitor ruled, Adama inherited a profound connection to his ancestry. As a child, he witnessed the awe-inspiring might of Ciraxis firsthand and was captivated by the might and wisdom of dragons.

Motivated by this heritage and driven by a profound sense of superiority, Adama set out on a path to become a monk, seeking to embody the strength and discipline of his dragon forebears. He reveled in the knowledge that he possessed the power and potential to surpass mere mortals. However, this knowledge tainted his character, fostering a cruel streak and an unwavering adherence to the laws he perceived as just.

Tragedy struck when Ciraxis, his powerful progenitor, met his demise. The event shook Adama to his core, leaving him with conflicting emotions. He mourned the loss of the great ice dragon while also harboring resentment toward the heroes who vanquished his mighty ancestor.

Embracing wanderlust and an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, Adama now roams the realms, seeking to further connect with his ancestral lineage and unlock the hidden potential within himself.

As he journeys, Adama harbors a burning desire to confront the heroes responsible for Ciraxis' downfall, viewing it as a personal affront to his lineage. However, deep down, he struggles with the realization that his own actions and pride may have contributed to the fateful encounter.

Though a monk in principle, Adama's character is far from humble and meek. His conceit and belief in his superiority make him an enigmatic figure, simultaneously upholding the law while exhibiting a cruel streak when dealing with mortals who fall beneath his perceived station.

As Adama's journey unfolds, the secret he carries—the realization that his own actions were a catalyst in the death of his progenitor—weighs heavily on his conscience, influencing his every decision and fueling his internal conflicts.

Really excited for this group! I think I will grab Light Blue?

Nines
2023-07-11, 10:42 AM
Hey there,

Thrilled to be here for a quality PbP game, and so glad you liked my submission.

About myself, I primarily do build competitions around the forums, so even though my post count is light I'm no stranger to some heavy writing or crunch. I just rarely do it under my own name, so this will be a fun change of pace.

I'll be playing Professor Ixtalan Hlandrar, and speaking in star blue. From looking over the party composition, it looks like I'll be handling most of the obtuse magical duties, among a few other pillars.

Since I can't post the link just yet, I'll just say that my sheet certainly has a few surprises in store that you truly won't expect. Which might actually be a fun in-game reveal, so I'm up for keeping it quiet for a bit if Paradox is good with that. It's very in keeping with the character, and I know he'll keep me honest.

For now, consider me to have shown up to the head-canon table with a face-down character sheet. What could be more exciting than that?

Palanan
2023-07-11, 05:42 PM
Question for the DM:

Have we all been drawn to Shadowdale by a specific call for aid, or have we all traveled here for our own reasons, and just happen to find ourselves here? Or is it more complex than that, e.g. various associates and holy orders have asked us to swing by, that sort of thing?

Goby
2023-07-11, 07:01 PM
Here is Doria Firehammer (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2809480), a BattleRager from Citadel Adbar sent by the Silver Marches Confederacy to investigate the rumors of a new threat emerging in the Great Desert. She’s always up for a fight, or a round of drinks in a bar (fights optional, but with her singing, it’s common enough).
She’ll speak in orange

Born as one of many dwarven twins since the Thunder Blessing in the great northern fortress Citadel Adbar, Doria was a bit of a wild child in her youth. Not interested in mining or crafting and lacking the discipline for military service, she preferred to explore the wilderness and hunt for monsters and treasure with her friends.

All that changed when her father was killed while guarding a caravan on the dangerous Underdark road to Sundabar. His death led her to refocus her life and begin training to join the militia. However, she still struggled with organized combat, instead joining the legendary Battleragers, channeling her anger into becoming a fierce warrior. Later she trained to work alone in the Underdark as a DeepWarden, and then dedicated her axe to the church of the Luckmaiden.

To honor her father, she often patrols the trade routes from the Citadel, spending many days far from the confines of the fortress. Unlike some of Adbar's leaders, she supports the idea of the Silver Marches Confederation, believing that it would make the region safer for the caravans that supply her home. On one of these recent journeys, she heard some rumors from a group of out Silverymoon, telling stories of unusual events in the great desert.

After failing to convince the militia leadership, many of whom don't trust the tales of an "axe idiot", to be concerned about a possible new threat to the east, she decided to investigate on her own. Traveling south along the border of the desert, past Evereska to the abbey of Endar Aglandtor, she met with her twin sister Nalia, a priestess of Haela Brightaxe. Divinations by the order of Haela's Host suggest that more info would be gained in the Dalelands, so she has journeyed east seeking the source of the rumors, and happy to swing her axe against any monsters along the way.

Excited to have made the team, and almost ready for a new adventure. I do need to do some final work to update the last bit of equipment on my sheet, which might take some time as this is a busy week, but I can role play before that’s finished.

Question for the group, and the mystery build, do we have a plan for opening doors and finding traps, or am I going to have to smash everything and set them off the hard way? Didn’t really build for that, but I guess it’s an option. Doors I open tend not to close again, though.

Nines
2023-07-11, 07:52 PM
Question for the group, and the mystery build, do we have a plan for opening doors and finding traps

I have doors, locks, and traps handled as well, speaking of pillars of play.

Presumably (hopefully, Oghma willing) in a much less announcey manner, heh. Good looking out though, it:s much appreciated.

paradox26
2023-07-11, 09:42 PM
Checking in, very much appreciate being selected.

Currently in a small work and life crunch, but will check in when I'm able. For now here is the sheet for Erynessë (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2807737).

EDIT: Also, might want to check the link in the OP for the IC thread, it seems to lead to a thread-creating post...?
I just checked in on the IC post you mentioned, and it seems to link to where it is supposed to go. I just haven't posted the first post IC yet.

Question for the DM:

Have we all been drawn to Shadowdale by a specific call for aid, or have we all traveled here for our own reasons, and just happen to find ourselves here? Or is it more complex than that, e.g. various associates and holy orders have asked us to swing by, that sort of thing?
You can have travelled there for your own purposes. You will be meeting Elminster, who will give you your mission. He has so many plots in progress that any of you could have been drawn to him for information or mission orders.

As for trap springing. I picked a basically balanced party, so you should have all bases covered to at least some extent.

Palanan
2023-07-11, 10:03 PM
Okay, thanks.

In that case, there’s a spell from Book of Exalted Deeds which Eryn would have cast. This is a sanctified spell called Valiant Steed, which allows her to summon a unicorn that willingly serves her for a year. Given the unicorn’s healing SLAs, this would be very helpful to her as she provides healing to those she meets on the road. Wanted to be sure that was okay, so she can arrive with the unicorn already present.

Goby
2023-07-11, 11:04 PM
I have doors, locks, and traps handled as well, speaking of pillars of play.

Glad to hear that. While Doria still plans to open some doors with her head (or even better, someone else’s) she prefers that the door doesn’t explode.

paradox26
2023-07-12, 02:21 AM
Okay, thanks.

In that case, there’s a spell from Book of Exalted Deeds which Eryn would have cast. This is a sanctified spell called Valiant Steed, which allows her to summon a unicorn that willingly serves her for a year. Given the unicorn’s healing SLAs, this would be very helpful to her as she provides healing to those she meets on the road. Wanted to be sure that was okay, so she can arrive with the unicorn already present.

That is okay. But as it requires a sacrifice, I will say that you have to give up 1d3 points of strength for the entire duration of the summons. Using Restoration or similar on it will negate the sacrifice and therefore end the summons. I am not sure if that is the correct ruling on sacrifices, but that is how I am ruling it, as you get a lot back in return.

Palanan
2023-07-12, 08:24 PM
Hmm.

If she dismisses the unicorn, can she then use Lesser Restoration as normal to ameliorate the Strength drain?

paradox26
2023-07-12, 10:31 PM
Yes, but you couldn't cast the spell again without re-taking the sacrifice and spending the hour casting the spell. And if it is abused by repeatedly dismissing the unicorn, for example to reduce the rolled damage to a minimum, then the celestials may just stop sending one to you.

Also, the short introductory post is up on the IC thread. Just put up some getting to know you posts, to develop an initial party dynamic. Once you have introduced yourselves I will bring the adventure into a start.

Palanan
2023-07-12, 11:29 PM
I’m thinking that she’ll have the unicorn with her to start, the two of them having traveled together from Cormyr up to Tilverton and through the Shadow Gap, and thence on to Shadowdale town.

Once the action starts, she’ll likely dismiss the unicorn, both for its own protection and to regain the strength she’s lost, and she won’t re-summon the unicorn unless there’s a population in need of healing. The unicorn is something she’d want to help tend to those in need on the road, but she won’t lead it into danger.

I'll try to post in the IC thread tomorrow-ish. Like yourself, I've had several trying days dealing with an older relative, as well as a mini-work crunch and other RL issues, so very steamrolled now.

Goby
2023-07-13, 11:50 PM
Two questions.

1, what year DR and time of year is it? I didn’t see the year in the overview I read, but I’m thinking it’s either 1374 or 75? Trying to make sure that any Realms references I make are accurate.

2, should our characters have any foreknowledge that we’ll be facing desert survival challenges? I’m finishing up some equipment, and don’t plan to be too prepared, but is it reasonable to have purchased any survival gear? Or is that something we should wait to do in game?

BelGareth
2023-07-14, 09:03 AM
The ancestor thing was an error, can you correct your post Palanan please?

It's been a rough week.....

EDIT: nevermind, I figured out how to weave it in.

paradox26
2023-07-15, 01:55 AM
Two questions.

1, what year DR and time of year is it? I didn’t see the year in the overview I read, but I’m thinking it’s either 1374 or 75? Trying to make sure that any Realms references I make are accurate.

2, should our characters have any foreknowledge that we’ll be facing desert survival challenges? I’m finishing up some equipment, and don’t plan to be too prepared, but is it reasonable to have purchased any survival gear? Or is that something we should wait to do in game?

1. It was very difficult to discover the year of the adventure. I ended up going page by page through the Grand History of the Realms book. As best I can tell, the adventure is set in the month of Elient in the year 1374, which is in the Autumn.

2. You will be given an opportunity to prepare when the time comes, but you will be starting in Myth Drannor, so don't worry too much about that yet.

BelGareth
2023-07-15, 02:19 PM
Well now I have to ask, seeing as a year was dropped, a certain book series has something happen to myth drannor in the same year, I assume we’re not messing with that? (The last mythal series)

Nines
2023-07-16, 03:01 AM
That's one kind-of reveal down in the IC thread, and I really like how it turned out. There's definitely still more to come, though.

Edit: added an answer to Aubryn's question as part of the interlude and scene change. Apologies for missing it initially.

paradox26
2023-07-17, 05:22 AM
Well now I have to ask, seeing as a year was dropped, a certain book series has something happen to myth drannor in the same year, I assume we’re not messing with that? (The last mythal series)

I haven't read that series. Can I get you to DM me a brief summary of what you are talking about with this? The module doesn't really talk about what else is going on. I took the idea of what the date is from the Grand Tour of the Realms only because it mentioned a couple of items that appear in the module in that part of the book.

Palanan
2023-07-17, 08:27 AM
Hey, folks--really rough weekend, will try to post when I can.

Eryn does have questions for Elminster, but I'm not together enough to post now, hopefully later today.

BelGareth
2023-07-17, 09:42 AM
I haven't read that series. Can I get you to DM me a brief summary of what you are talking about with this? The module doesn't really talk about what else is going on. I took the idea of what the date is from the Grand Tour of the Realms only because it mentioned a couple of items that appear in the module in that part of the book.

Sent, but really, i would just hand wave it tbh, i don't think it has much to do with the rest of the world.

Palanan
2023-07-17, 10:06 PM
Posted, and Eryn's confusion matches my own regarding what the Windsong/Shadowsong tower-tree-thingy is.

Nines
2023-07-18, 02:35 AM
Palanan, could you please choose a speech color per the OP, and edit your post to reflect usage of it. That would be much appreciated, thanks.

Edit: a word.

BelGareth
2023-07-19, 07:30 PM
Hah, so this is an interesting role play situation, I truly hope people don’t get offended, it’s really easy to do when you have a character you enjoy.

@Nines: is your character supposed to be obnoxious? Because that is the way they are coming across, and why people are responding, if that’s your intention, then spot on, but I’m curious if it is or not?

Just so we’re clear, I am not trying to be rude, or anything really just curious and wish to smooth things out if needed.

Or maybe I’m misreading everything.

Nines
2023-07-19, 08:51 PM
@Bel

Hey there,

No I'm not sweating it. The Harpers can certainly be over the top in their parlances and intrigues, it's part and parcel of their propaganda and being just about the worst kept secret in the Realms. So yes a lot of it is intentional, and a certain amount of scoffery is to be expected, even among the populaces of Faerun.

I'll post the truncated backstory and some other info, to get a sense of the character's central tensions, and to give some meta-knowledge to help facilitate things a bit, spoilered for anyone that wants it. but I'll leave off a few things and not include the sheet just yet, as there's at least one more big reveal coming later on.

And I'll just add that it's difficult to play the 'in-the-know' guy without coming off slightly condescending to the table (bards also, to a large extent) if it isn't also mollified by a bumbling wizard archetype, which Ixtalan certainly isn't. I totally accept that, and the attendant baggage that comes with it. I do think some of those challenges are made worse over text, where delivery and context can be hard to infer off the page.

BelGareth
2023-07-19, 08:55 PM
Awesome, well you are doing a bang up job then!!

Love it!

Goby
2023-07-19, 10:06 PM
And I thought Doria was going to be the troublesome personality that no one likes…. Gruff dwarf with a CHR check penalty.

But yeah, I’m enjoying the tension in forming a new group. This is what happens when you get summoned by a powerful wizard, and have to decide if we can be an adventuring company.

paradox26
2023-07-20, 03:05 AM
Sent, but really, i would just hand wave it tbh, i don't think it has much to do with the rest of the world.

To answer the query, I appear to have gotten the date wrong, and it is 1375 instead, as the elves have definitely started to repopulate Myth Drannor. It won't come into play, but the Forgotten Realms wiki mentions this adventure's events specifically, mentioning the year.

rax
2023-07-20, 04:34 AM
@Bel

Hey there,

No I'm not sweating it. The Harpers can certainly be over the top in their parlances and intrigues, it's part and parcel of their propaganda and being just about the worst kept secret in the Realms. So yes a lot of it is intentional, and a certain amount of scoffery is to be expected, even among the populaces of Faerun.

I'll post the truncated backstory and some other info, to get a sense of the character's central tensions, and to give some meta-knowledge to help facilitate things a bit, spoilered for anyone that wants it. but I'll leave off a few things and not include the sheet just yet, as there's at least one more big reveal coming later on.

And I'll just add that it's difficult to play the 'in-the-know' guy without coming off slightly condescending to the table (bards also, to a large extent) if it isn't also mollified by a bumbling wizard archetype, which Ixtalan certainly isn't. I totally accept that, and the attendant baggage that comes with it. I do think some of those challenges are made worse over text, where delivery and context can be hard to infer off the page. I'll note that Aubryn specifically finds it hilarious to tease people he finds stuck up or self-important. He's a firm believer in the idea that it's healthy for everyone to be able to laugh at themselves. This currently makes Lune an immediate target for his mirth - Harper or not.

In a wider sense, though, it's also important to keep in mind that this group consists of highly experienced adventurers, who have likely handled a vast array of dangers in their day. For his part, Aubryn also literally rubs shoulders with some of the main movers and shakers west of the Sea of Fallen Stars. As a result, he's highly unlikely to be either shocked or impressed by any "secret knowledge" Lune may have, the people he knows, or whatever missions he's been on before. If Lune pushes the "I'm mysterious and know more than any of you"-schtick too far, Aubryn will likely conclude that Lune thinks he's better than the rest of the team, something which will not engender respect on his part.

BelGareth
2023-07-20, 11:39 AM
Mechanically speaking:

he is a monk
he can channel ancestors that grant:
-bonus to hit/damage + immunity to fear
-bonus to hide/move.s + sneak attack (2d6)
-Eldritch blast (4d6 at 60ft)
-bonus to saves (+4) and DR 8\cold iron

He can only channel one, in two levels he can channel two at a time.

His last ancestor will be unlocked next level, and that one is spicy...can't wait.

Nines
2023-07-21, 07:46 AM
...snipped

Regarding Aubryn's opinions on Ixtalan's personality, I suppose we can agree to disagree a bit there. One man's cultured is another man's pretension, and I'm sure the characters would come to similar conclusions. I guess I would just be more concerned whether Rax the player holds those beliefs, rather than just Aubryn. If that's the case, and it's just being veiled through the lens of the character, then yes I would be more concerned of potential issues downstream. Hopefully not, though.

As to the knowing Elminster bit, he's a seasoned, ranking Harper, of course he knows Elminster. That's basically canon as El used to lead the Harpers at one point (for anyone who doesn't know). I wasn't really going for cool factor there, I was 100% foreshadowing the reveal. But I can definitely see how it could come off that way though, to be fair. It sincerely wasn't my intent. I was simply leading up to the Harper reveal and using the tools supplied by the GM to do so. If I hadn't, the reveal really would just have been a 'gotcha' moment, which would have been in poor taste and unsatisfying for everyone.

As to the point about secrets, I think there's maybe a misunderstanding of the 'knowledge guy' archetype from a gameplay perspective. It isn't about impressing anyone RP-wise, but rather, that's I, Nines, simply playing the numbers on my sheet. With multiple rarefied, passive knowledge skills in the 30s that's just pure mechanics, expressed through the RP pillar of play. But I'm willing to chalk it up to the difficulty of reading intonation off the page. If I was able to voice act those scenes, I think they'd come off quite differently. When Ixtalan goes off on a knowledge binge, please read him in the Q from James Bond voice, and I think you'll get it. Not condescending, just informative, and decidedly British about it. I hope that helps with where I'm coming from on that.

Further to that point, the real power of the 'knowledge guy' mechanically is that it allows the other players to bring in their meta knowledge of the game and bring it to bear (I assume Aubryn doesn't have 30 arcana, but Rax probably knows plenty about Shades), by having a character who does have that knowledge in-game to relay it to their own character, because they spent the build points on it. That's the real gameplay advantage and value-add of the archetype as it empowers everyone else at the table to play 'better', but in a plausible way. It's no different than mechanically rolling identify checks for monsters, it's just expressed via the roleplay pillar, and often sans dice.

As for the mysterious bit, I really wouldn't worry about it. From a writer's perspective, the 'johnny mysterious ' angle has a built-in expiration date. The essence of mystery lies in the reveal, so you can't do it forever, and that sounds like what the concern is. It will pass. You can't play the leather-coat wearing guy ad infinitum, eventually you have to go somewhere with the character.

all the best,
Nines

Edit: Spoilered due to solved.

BelGareth
2023-07-21, 08:48 AM
Nines, you can delete posts you make, edit the post and then above the text box is an option to delete

Nines
2023-07-21, 09:32 AM
Perfect, thank you!

rax
2023-07-21, 04:19 PM
Well, as you correctly point out, communication is difficult and I believe you may have misunderstood what I was getting at, so I'll give it another shot based off your reply and then hopefully we'll understand each other better IC and OOC.

Regarding Aubryn's opinions on Ixtalan's personality, I suppose we can agree to disagree a bit there. One man's cultured is another man's pretension, and I'm sure the characters would come to similar conclusions. I guess I would just be more concerned whether Rax the player holds those beliefs, rather than just Aubryn. If that's the case, and it's just being veiled through the lens of the character, then yes I would be more concerned of potential issues downstream. Hopefully not, though. The pretension Aubryn is reacting to has nothing to do with how cultured Ixtalan may be or not. It's a reaction to how he carries himself and speaks to the group in this post (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25827098&postcount=23). In the midst of a request for information from Elminster (i.e. the quest-giver) about the availability of a map, he pops in to kill off that line of inquiry and his explanation is that he will deal with entry and reconnaissance and he is used to operating behind enemy lines by himself or in small groups. Ixtalan doesn't come across as offering an opinion or advice, he is instructing people as if they are newbies at this sort of thing when everyone in the room is an experienced adventurer who's here by invitation.

Ixtalan next reveals himself to have deceived the group by pretending to be someone else when we arrived and commands everyone to address him by his codename. He offers an explanation as to why his deception is necessary, but the way he presents it, it comes across as: "I'm a really important secret operative - so important that the people we're going to be dealing with are actively on the lookout for me, unlike you people, who have probably been picked by Elminster because you're beneath their notice."

I don't know if this is how you wanted Ixtalan to be perceived, but it's how I the player read your post and therefore that formed the basis of Aubryn's reaction.

As to the point about secrets, I think there's maybe a misunderstanding of the 'knowledge guy' archetype from a gameplay perspective. It isn't about impressing anyone RP-wise, but rather, that's I, Nines, simply playing the numbers on my sheet. With multiple rarefied, passive knowledge skills in the 30s that's just pure mechanics, expressed through the RP pillar of play. But I'm willing to chalk it up to the difficulty of reading intonation off the page. If I was able to voice act those scenes, I think they'd come off quite differently. When Ixtalan goes off on a knowledge binge, please read him in the Q from James Bond voice, and I think you'll get it. Not condescending, just informative, and decidedly British about it. I hope that helps with where I'm coming from on that. This, I think, is a clear misunderstanding. My point above about "secret knowledge" relates to the next sentence about Lune playing the "I'm mysterious and know more than any of you"-schtick. This is again about presentation, not the substance of what anyone knows through OOC or IC means. I.e. if Lune continues to play coy about his identity and capabilities, while hoarding his knowledge and only disseminating it when he sees fit, then Aubryn will conclude that Lune either doesn't trust the team he's on a life-and-death mission with, or he doesn't respect them enough to treat them as equals. Or to put it another way, the more Lune/Ixtalan comes across as "handling" Aubryn, the more friction there will be.

Re the 'knowledge guy' archetype in general, I have no problem with that IC or OOC. It's great to know that we've got someone along who can ace all the knowledge checks and Aubryn certainly respects learning as well.

As for the mysterious bit, I really wouldn't worry about it. From a writer's perspective, the 'johnny mysterious ' angle has a built-in expiration date. The essence of mystery lies in the reveal, so you can't do it forever, and that sounds like what the concern is. It will pass. You can't play the leather-coat wearing guy ad infinitum, eventually you have to go somewhere with the character. I'm happy to hear that you're planning on moving on from the "international man of mystery" angle. It can be interesting in literature, but I will freely admit to finding it an extremely boring role to have in a party of PCs, especially when said party is only going to be working together for a single adventure. With that said, Ixtalan is your character and obviously you must play him in a way that you find interesting and fun. If you can accept that this may lead to friction with other PCs, then we'll be fine, I think.

All the best in return,
rax

Nines
2023-07-22, 09:51 AM
@Rax

----

You're mostly spot on, Ixtalan isn't interested in debate, if he has a solution to offer he assumes it's the best one, and his word alone on that should be good enough, as he sees it. That's definitely IC intentional, as per my response to Bel.

The interpretations I'm a little concerned with are, for example, the assertion of him shutting down the line of Inquiry. From OOC table level perspective, I hope it's clear I'm not forcing anyone to desist. But IC, he doesnt need one, he'll take care of it, and that's that. You got it, It's intentional. I'm also unsure of your usage of the the word 'instruct' here, as he isn't telling anyone to *do* anything (which i agree would be an OOC problem). Quite the opposite, he considers the matter resolved IC by his *own* assumption of the entry/recon role.

On the command thing, IC, the character is effectively Harper brass (a field officer, as alluded to in the white text in the post) and isn't accustomed to debate or having to explain himself, or working with 'contractors' from his perspective, as it isn't typically done that way in Berdusk (it's the exception rather than the rule in the western Harpers, per the canon). So yes that IC presentation is intentional, and it's exemplified well there RP-wise. It's actually a peek into his mindset, when he drops the facade.

From an OOC perspective, I'm a veteran writing this and frankly that wouldn't even be considered impolite by military standards. I actually softened it a bit compared to the real thing, but I completely realize it's abrasive to civilian ears, and yes it's intentional, IC presentation-wise.

But overall you're mostly spot on, and if he engenders a strong emotional response in the reader (IC) I'm entirely okay with that, it's largely by design. What I don't want though, is player (OOC) upset if they feel at all that it's being done to them or their character, as that's definitely not my intent at all and I would want to address it immediately. Otherwise, as a writer I'm overjoyed that he's been so impactful and emotionally charged (yes even negatively).

I just wanted to be clear in case there was something OOC mainly that was going on, or some other interpersonal offense being committed perhaps unwittingly on my part.

I really appreciate the candor about personal likes and dislikes here, and the considerations given to player agency and being open to multiple IC outcomes, that really heartens me. I'm not really sure which way things will go, but I'm so glad to hear that you aren't expecting a complete change or a resolution out of whole cloth.

I'd really love to see how Aubryn and Ixtalan's relationship develops, especially after they get in a couple of scrapes together. I'm comfortable with the current tension, and would like to continue as is, and hopefully my explanations here helped a bit, even if nothing changes. I just really wanted to make sure there wasn't some other interpersonal thing going on at an OOC table level that was eluding me.

Lastly, On the I.E. section of Aubryn's thoughts, thank you. This is super helpful to understand the IC logic that you're working with on him, and I think it's reasonable given the characters and situation. I'm still due to post a truncated backstory for Ixtalan, but I've just been swamped the last few days. So hopefully once that's up, we can both have some more mutual understanding to work with and build it out. Looking forward to it.

So glad we had this talk, and if there's anything else, don't hesitate.

Edit: Spoilered for length.

Nines
2023-07-23, 12:13 PM
Regarding my last post,

Just to be clear, Eryn neglected to mention the precise nature of her aerial abilities when given the chance by Doria, thus Lune is unaware of it, and hence his disregard for the suggestion. He would probably approve of the covert nature of her bird form, and be likely to incorporate it into a plan if she were to offer that information, but that's obviously up to them.

Palanan
2023-07-23, 12:20 PM
Very good to hear from the DM, I was getting a bit concerned.

That said, as a player I’m extremely confused about the situation in Myth Drannor. Maybe it’s just the week I’m coming off of, which was highly trying and mentally draining; but my understanding was that Myth Drannor had been taken over by evil forces, the city is swarming with deadly monstrosities, and we should proceed with extreme caution from the moment we arrive.

But now it sounds as if the elves are back, they’re putting up trellises with flowers and all we have to do is stroll in, order an elven latte and ask politely for the nearest portal. I may have been overassuming in terms of the swarming evil forces, but even so I’m still not clear if the city is being actively contested, if the elves have reclaimed all of it, or if there’s something else going on.

My impressions have probably been shaped by references in the FRCS, where Myth Drannor is described as “the richest and most dangerous adventuring site in all of Faerun.” I’ve been resisting the urge to look up a map of Myth Drannor, because I was hoping we could get that in-game, and I’m doing my best to avoid spoilers from other sources. But at this point I’m still very unclear about the situation on the ground.

Nines
2023-07-23, 01:30 PM
Palanan makes some good points above. We should probably establish exactly what meta knowledge the group is likely to have on the current state of Myth Drannor, because I was also under similar assumptions as those.

If however, it is considered public knowledge that many beasts have been cleared from the areas of the city, then that would change things. Ixtalan would still be concerned about alerting the Shadovar to our arrival, but he has other ways of more direct entry as well, that could prove more expedient for all involved.

Edit: since things have progressed, but I don't want to double post.

@Palanan
It really wasn't my intent to be patronizing with that verbiage. Ixtalan is 54 and the turn of phrase was more about his own agedness than It was directed at Eryn. I can remove it if you like, or if it's triggering at all. I apologize if that was case, and we can both backtrack if necessary, and I'll avoid it in the future. Just let me know.

rax
2023-07-23, 04:04 PM
This is what the Grand History of the Realms has to say about the state of Myth Drannor in 1374 DR:

Mirtul 13: Lady Sarya Dlardrageth, matron of House Dlardrageth, summons Malkizid, an exiled archdevil, to Myth Drannor.

Mirtul 24: Lord Seiveril Miritar of Elion, leader of the Crusade from Evermeet that rescued Evereska, convenes a Council of War in the ruins of Myth Glaurach. The commanders of the Crusade agree to travel by way of the portal network discovered by Araevin to Semberholme in hopes of defeating House Dlardrageth once and for all.

Eleasias 17: The Crusade battles the legions of House Dlardrageth in the Vale of Lost Voices.

Eleasias 18: Malkizid is banished. House Dlardrageth retreats from the Vale of Lost Voices.

Eleasias 20: The Crusade surrounds Myth Drannor.

Eleasias 22: The Crusade overruns Myth Drannor, and House Dlardrageth falls. A handful of fey’ri escape. Seiveril Miritar is slain.

Eleasias 27: Fzoul Chembryl meets in secret with Jezz the Lame of House Jaelre and representatives of the Auzkovyn Clan. The three groups agree to work in concert to destroy the Fair Folk before they can truly reestablish Myth Drannor.

Eleasias 29: Fzoul Chembryl orders Scyllua Darkhope to seize control of the Moonsea Ride by establishing a series of fortifications along the road south from Hillsfar.

Eleint 3: Skirmishes erupt along the Moonsea Ride between the Zhentarim and Myth Drannor. Masked drow support the Black Network with targeted assassinations. This marks the beginning of the Cormanthor War, pitting the Army of Myth Drannor against the Army of Darkhope and the Masked Brigades (Vhaeraun-worshiping drow of House Jaelre and the Auzkovyn Clan). In the months that follow, a series of increasingly deadly raids and counter-raids are mounted by each side.

There's nothing specific about events in Myth Drannor during 1375 DR.

There's more details than this, but from the events described above, we can surmise that Myth Drannor (the city) is now under the control of the elves. However, the Zhentarim and drow contest this control so there's ongoing hit-and-run fighting around the city. There's no mention of the shadovar operating openly or in alliance with any of the factions in Myth Drannor.

Palanan
2023-07-23, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by rax
There's more details than this, but from the events described above, we can surmise that Myth Drannor (the city) is now under the control of the elves. However, the Zhentarim and drow contest this control so there's ongoing hit-and-run fighting around the city. There's no mention of the shadovar operating openly or in alliance with any of the factions in Myth Drannor.

Thanks for this, and for the summary from 1374.

It sounds like messy urban warfare, which would certainly merit a travel advisory. Eryn probably wouldn’t know these details, but she does have a strong interest in as much advance planning as possible.

Also, if the Zhentarim are in play, we should probably hear about that from Elminster as well, unless the drow have already turned on them and fed them to giant spiders by this point. Either way, this is exactly the sort of detail that Eryn would like, given that Elminster himself has just told us that magic doesn’t always work where we’re going.

rax
2023-07-24, 05:25 PM
It’s possible there’s warfare going on in the city but it could also be happening in the forest beyond. Since Elminster offered to teleport us directly to the city and our DM hasn’t mentioned ongoing warfare I think we can assume that’s not something the module will require us to deal with.

IC Aubryn is prepared to take the risk, but because he finds her questions fundamentally sound, he does feel it’s up to Elminster to allay Eryn’s concerns rather than having the rest of the party convince or override her.

Palanan
2023-07-25, 09:29 AM
Thanks, rax.

I'm waiting for the DM to respond, both IC and OOC, before posting any further.

Goby
2023-07-25, 10:15 PM
@Bel,

That light blue text is pretty hard to read. Not sure if anyone else has issues, but I have to zoom way in on a tablet, and even on a monitor it's tricky. Not sure if you'd care to change it, but just wanted to mention it.

Wouldn't want to miss the wise musings of a monk just because I failed to read what you said.

BelGareth
2023-07-25, 10:44 PM
I’ll change it, thanks for letting me know.

Test
Test
Test

paradox26
2023-07-26, 03:57 AM
Sorry for my absence. I was finishing a sheet for Bel's game, then got busy with real life, as so often happens.

Nines found me an issue of Dragon magazine with a map of Myth Drannor, and I included the whole page because it includes a bit of info about the city as of the year 1375, bringing the info you have posted up to date. To summarise, yes the elves basically control the city, but other forces are still fighting over control of parts of it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_fiss_HXD8nW0sxCdxJwDzT2936x8ieNnMGE7PZlJVA/edit?usp=sharing

Nines
2023-07-26, 10:51 AM
I made sure to run it by the DM first, as I wasn't sure on spoiler content, just to be safe. But Rob Lazzaretti is pretty legendary as fantasy cartographers go, so it was a delight to find. I had been deep diving Eric L. Boyd's work in FR for another project I was working on here on the forums, so there was a bit of kismet involved as well.

It looks like the fey'ri of House Dlardrageth and their allies control a small eastern block of the city, even after the summoning and defeat of the arch-fiend Malkizid in 1374DR. The masked drow and the Zhentarim still wage war, but mostly through espionage and sabatoge inside the city itself. The monster population has melted away, as the elves have been purging the place of alhoons, phaerimms, and the like as the city was reclaimed. From the source, "...open combat in the city limits is rare, with most of the fighting taking place in the surrounding woodlands". But overall, the insurgency and the elves are in a stalemate situation for the moment, since the end of the last crusade, so it probably won't affect us too much.

Hopefully it helps, and also serves as a gesture of goodwill after the bit of IC map to-do. To illustrate that I, the player, am pretty flexible, even if Ixtalan/Lune can be a strong personality on things.

rax
2023-07-26, 02:04 PM
@paradox26

The teleportation post doesn't really tell us much about where we've ended up. Is there anything noteworthy about the glade at all, or an indication as to which way we should be heading to get to Myth Drannor proper?

Palanan
2023-07-26, 02:14 PM

I appreciate the map, but it sounds like most of Eryn’s other questions and concerns have been glossed over.

At the very least, we should have something from Elminster to show the Coronal to convince her we’re actually here on Elminster’s business. And I agree with rax that we don’t seem to have any clear way to find her from where we are. Unless someone has a spell called “Locate Coronal,” we’re still going in effectively blind, and without the benefit of any scouting or other advance knowledge.

We also haven’t done any tactical planning before we jumped into the LZ. At the very least, the group—since we’re not really a team yet—should have basic tactics in place for what to do if we’re attacked on arrival, and how exactly to proceed once we’re inside the city. And we should’ve spelled up before jumping to the glade, since for all we know we're one round away from hard contact.

I understand that OOC everyone wants to dive into the action, but it’s hard to play Eryn as I’ve envisioned her without at least trying to address these issues beforehand.

BelGareth
2023-07-26, 02:19 PM
Please feel free to begin doing so, I imagine it’s much like you keep asking and the rest of us roll our eyes and keep walking.

I personally would like to keep the momentum, which is crucial for pbp game longevity, those are all great things, but they seem to be IRL game things, it’s much harder to do in pbp. And typically on my experience, the players will do this in the ooc, assuming it’s down time conversation between the pc’s.

Goby
2023-07-26, 02:19 PM
What edition of Dragon mag is that? I have a friend with a collection, might try to get a copy of that issue.

rax
2023-07-26, 03:34 PM
It's #359, the last one produced by Paizo.

Nines
2023-07-26, 04:20 PM
I'm with Bel on this.

PbP needs all the help in the momentum department that it can get, not only to hold player interest, but also the DM's who has a story to tell. It's very different than tabletop where the strategizing must take place beforehand. Its best done concurrently in the OOC thread for PbP.

I'm all for facilitating forward play, hence Ixtalan's recent IC actions, as I missed most of this discussion between posting here last and drafting his IC response.

Honestly, we've had two full weeks of RP, great introductions, established both rapport and tensions, it's far surpassed many starts I've had, regardless of format. Even as the resident diplomancer among us, I think everyone's had their fill for awhile, myself included. Switching pillars of play up is healthy overall for interest and longevity, especially with three melee who certainly came to roll some dice.

My recent IC actions are mostly me as a player being conscious of that, and having had plenty of spotlight time already. It's time to move on. Also, I already had the spell prepared, so not using at this point would kind of be metagaming, having seen the map OOC and knowing as a player that the tower isn't far.

Palanan
2023-07-26, 04:23 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExYXVvZWFqOTlhM2RyM3hhMmRkeGJsM3J iMHdwd2lkMXJtOTR6Y2d5OCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfY nlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/CZGcUfnAy3ayJw2eZX/giphy.gif

Seriously, folks, hold up a moment.

Before we all go off and randomly do our own things—as it seems like we’re going to—can we take the bare minimum time before the teleport to cast a few spells? Because we really don't know what we're jumping into, and it just makes basic sense to be prepared before we leave.

Nines
2023-07-26, 04:26 PM
If the DM says 'you teleport', you don't get to time him out. Do it when we land, as I did.

If he interjects and we get jumped, it's fine. I'll adapt in a way that works, it isn't more than a round or two of actions.

BelGareth
2023-07-26, 04:41 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExYXVvZWFqOTlhM2RyM3hhMmRkeGJsM3J iMHdwd2lkMXJtOTR6Y2d5OCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfY nlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/CZGcUfnAy3ayJw2eZX/giphy.gif

Seriously, folks, hold up a moment.

Before we all go off and randomly do our own things—as it seems like we’re going to—can we take the bare minimum time before the teleport to cast a few spells? Because we really don't know what we're jumping into, and it just makes basic sense to be prepared before we leave.

(just making sure, I am not coming across as rude or beligerent, i truly hope im not)
Go ahead and cast those spells, Adama doesn't have anything like that, but would be happy to wait 30 seconds to let casters buff, that is incredibly reasonable, and everyone is probably used to it.

paradox26
2023-07-27, 06:28 AM
@paradox26

The teleportation post doesn't really tell us much about where we've ended up. Is there anything noteworthy about the glade at all, or an indication as to which way we should be heading to get to Myth Drannor proper?
The glade has a pathway leading east. You are currently to the west of the city. Sorry, I am winging it a bit here, as the module assumes you are coming straight off the last module. Elminster will have told you you were approaching the city from the west, as that is the safest area.

I appreciate the map, but it sounds like most of Eryn’s other questions and concerns have been glossed over.

At the very least, we should have something from Elminster to show the Coronal to convince her we’re actually here on Elminster’s business. And I agree with rax that we don’t seem to have any clear way to find her from where we are. Unless someone has a spell called “Locate Coronal,” we’re still going in effectively blind, and without the benefit of any scouting or other advance knowledge.

We also haven’t done any tactical planning before we jumped into the LZ. At the very least, the group—since we’re not really a team yet—should have basic tactics in place for what to do if we’re attacked on arrival, and how exactly to proceed once we’re inside the city. And we should’ve spelled up before jumping to the glade, since for all we know we're one round away from hard contact.

I understand that OOC everyone wants to dive into the action, but it’s hard to play Eryn as I’ve envisioned her without at least trying to address these issues beforehand.
The Windsong Towerkin rings are rare, and will be considered as proof that you come to the city as friends of the elves. Your map will have the Coronal's Tower marked, so you can find her if you need to.

Incidentally, sorry I glossed over your queries IC. I honestly didn't read them in enough depth, as I was trying to catch up with a bunch of posts.
I will answer your queries IC as a flashback using a quote.

As for planning, go ahead. I jumped ahead because I thought everyone was done talking. By all means, spend some time, either in character or here in the OOC thread, talking about tactics and casting preparatory spells. I don't want to hurry anyone. As posts have already been made beyond the teleportation post, though, it might be worth either posting OOC, or else splitting the post into both before and after teleportation moments. Or you can just mention that your post is taking place before the teleportation, and I will take that into account too.

I have seen tension rising in the game, so I will just ask everyone to make sure to stay calm and considerate of each other, and respect each other's right to be here. I don't want to lose anyone from the game. Thanks.

Palanan
2023-07-27, 07:24 AM
Thanks, DM. It’s worth having spent a few minutes pre-teleport to work out who would like which spells active when we arrive.

It would also help if, OOC, we worked out some basic combat strategy for whenever we get ambushed, which would have been founded on a quick discussion back at Elminster’s before we jumped out.

For her part, Eryn is very definitely not frontline combat, so she'll be focused on keeping others upright.

BelGareth
2023-07-27, 10:18 AM
Thanks, DM. It’s worth having spent a few minutes pre-teleport to work out who would like which spells active when we arrive.

It would also help if, OOC, we worked out some basic combat strategy for whenever we get ambushed, which would have been founded on a quick discussion back at Elminster’s before we jumped out.

For her part, Eryn is very definitely not frontline combat, so she'll be focused on keeping others upright.

Adama can try and protect the casters and be a back up for melee, we def have some heavy hitters, who will want to run into combat.

rax
2023-07-27, 02:20 PM
The glade has a pathway leading east. You are currently to the west of the city. Sorry, I am winging it a bit here, as the module assumes you are coming straight off the last module. Elminster will have told you you were approaching the city from the west, as that is the safest area. Thanks, I appreciate the extra information and as a former GM myself I appreciate the difficulty of giving the right amount of information, particularly when working from a module.

I have seen tension rising in the game, so I will just ask everyone to make sure to stay calm and considerate of each other, and respect each other's right to be here. I don't want to lose anyone from the game. Thanks. I'd like to add my two cents here to make my own position clear on the matter of pacing and style of play.

I don't agree that momentum is the most important aspect for a successful PbP game. From my experience, the games that survive (and I'm currently in three games that are still going strong after 5+ years) have players and GMs who are patient and willing to compromise. The whole point of PbP is that it's not the same as playing IRL - no one's time is being wasted if things move at a leisurely pace because no one's stuck at a table and unable to do something else in the meantime. You don't even have to pay attention to the game until you decide to post.

I have observed that the majority of the games I've seen fail have been D&D games. It's usually been a case of the DM ghosting or finding that they no longer have the time to run the game, but players who simply drop out with little or no warning have also caused games to fail. I've seen players ghost games when both the DM and other players were posting daily and sometimes in the middle of a combat where everyone is actually waiting for the ghosting player to take their turn, so I don't believe that momentum plays any great part in retaining players. It's just a case of people not caring enough to keep playing and there's nothing to be done about that.

With all that said, if a DM doesn't post for a week or two with no explanation, I would certainly feel that the pace of the game leaves something to be desired, but that's mostly down to lack of communication. If there's a good reason for it and the DM has informed me of why they can't keep things moving, then I'm happy to wait for their return.

For her part, Eryn is very definitely not frontline combat, so she'll be focused on keeping others upright. Palanan, you've brought up the matter of spells a lot, but you haven't actually volunteered what spells Eryn has that she could or would cast beforehand, nor said anything about spells you'd like cast on her. Perhaps you could kick things off by detailing Eryn's possible contributions and needs?

Re basic combat strategy for an ambush, terrain will play a big part in that, but obviously Aubryn will prioritize getting into melee range. He's also a knight, however, so he won't attack a flat-footed opponent unless the situation is obviously desperate. His first move will therefore most often be to spot the target or targets, move into range, and use a wand or spell to prep for round two (shield and enlarge person are priorities). If he manages to place himself correctly, he should be able to get off one or more AoO and his bulwark of defence feature will slow the movement of any enemy that begins in his zone of control (10-ft radius w/ glaive, 20 ft w/ glaive and enlarge person, 30 ft w/ glaive, enlarge person and a use of his greatreach bracers). After that he'll either melee the enemy to death or try to keep them stuck in his zone of control with Stand Still to let other PCs bring them down.

As for what spells I'd like from others: haste and greater magic weapon are probably the most important to have up and running ASAP or ahead of time, because they'll enhance Aubryn's attack rolls, meaning more hits, more damage, and more lockdown. Beyond that, anything that boosts his defences or removes a debilitating effect is obviously welcome.

Palanan
2023-07-27, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by rax
Palanan, you've brought up the matter of spells a lot, but you haven't actually volunteered what spells Eryn has that she could or would cast beforehand, nor said anything about spells you'd like cast on her. Perhaps you could kick things off by detailing Eryn's possible contributions and needs?

Working on this. I hadn’t expected to be teleported out so quickly so I’m behind the curve here. Coming off of a couple very difficult days.

Eryn can handle removing fear effects, curses, disease, paralysis, etc., as well as restoration, vigor and some other specialized healing effects. Her priority, once it becomes plain she only has a few minutes to prepare before the teleport, will be to cast Greater Status on three other party members, which will be her limit. Open to takers on that.

Her primary role is healing and support, but she can also serve as a scout in swan-form, which is what she wanted to do from the outset. I’m pretty sure her max cruising altitude is higher than the mythal’s effects, but we’re inside it now and it’s not clear what will happen if she tries scouting at treetop height, although we’ve had some warnings from the DM that it might not be a good idea.

Very happy to discuss this further. Eryn won’t be able to help with direct combat boosts, so sadly no haste, but there may be some other options. Greater Status would be the priority because it allows for other spells to be cast through the link, so that’ll work as a good starting point.

Note also that Eryn can cast in swan-form, and that's her preference when moving around the battlefield. She'd start in that form but for the uncertainty about who we'll meet first, friend or something else.

BelGareth
2023-07-27, 09:02 PM
Adama's spot and listen are quite good, though not as good as Mr Fancy pants Harper.

Goby
2023-07-27, 10:20 PM
Doria believes her senses to be decent, though she’s probably 3rd on the team or worse. She’ll follow a scout if there is one, but if not she’s happy to take the point (with zero stealth), and any enemy that attacks her first just means she can hit them back quicker.

She’s a mobile striker, preferring to charge if she can. Try not to block the line between her and the biggest threat. If the terrain allows, she will try to smash foes into walls or other objects. Getting close to a group lets her intimidate multiple foes, if not she’ll target a strong threat to leave them shaken if she gets angry.

Allies will find that if you’re within 60 ft of her, and can hear her terrible off-key singing, you will hit harder if you charge like she does.

She’s happy to accept any magic buffs that people offer, as long as it doesn’t take too long to cast. Haste or enlarge would be absolutely amazing, but she would gladly accept a status, which actually makes a lot of sense to cast on her. Once she starts fighting she doesn’t pay much attention to silly thing like how much damage she’s taken, and her enraged combat limits her use of items and some skills.

Upon entering the glade, she believes that we’re walking into somewhat friendly territory and isn’t expecting an attack. If she found a group of elves sneaking around under her mountain, she’d assume they were hostile not allies, so probably the reverse is true here, and it might be better to seek out the Coronal and announce ourselves.

Nines
2023-07-28, 02:09 AM
Doing some catching up,

@Paradox

Hey there,

The page number that I referenced in the MIC allows detect magic to actually discern the function of an item when used together with a sufficient Spellcraft check. Thus it will divine all of the ring's abilities, much like identify, not merely the school of magic, as is normally the case.

It's a special use-case of the spell that's a bit obscure, as it's one line buried pretty deep in that paragraph: "Also, a character making such a check can divine the function of an item by succeeding by 10 or more." Totally understandable, but definitely what I was after there. So if you could add in the relevant details, that'd be much appreciated, thanks.
----

@Palanan
Definitely Greater Status on the melee who are most likely to be front line. I'll volunteer to skip, no worries.
-----

@Bel
Hah! Those spies, always seeing stuff. With Adama's exceptional speed, he can run interference from stealth at half pace while Lune takes point to scout, and still keep up with him. I'll run Allan out 150ft. at 45° on the grade, so he can dash back in a single turn.

That covers point, secondary, and eagle, so we just need column and rear sorted. I'll leave that to the armor to hash out, as they get settled in the glade
----

As for buffs, haste is an option, but I don't typically lead with it, as the only meaningful benefit is the extra swing on FRAs, so I'll typically wait until everyone is in position before dropping it, unless we need to give chase. It also minimizes dispel risk that way, if there's reason to suspect an enemy caster is in play.

paradox26
2023-07-28, 05:05 AM
Sorry, Nines, I missed that bit. The rings are fairly simple, having only the single use that Elminster told you about. They will divert a portal to a specific location, which you would have to assume is the Windsong Tower. It has no other purpose other than as a sort of signet ring to identify you as having been given it by Elminster.

Palanan
2023-07-28, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Goby
She’s happy to accept any magic buffs that people offer…she would gladly accept a status, which actually makes a lot of sense to cast on her.

That’s one Greater Status for Doria, check.

Anyone else?

BelGareth
2023-07-28, 01:57 PM
Yes please!! Adams is willing and welcoming of any buffs

Palanan
2023-07-28, 03:53 PM
Greater Status for the monk, check. One left, going fast.

Also, Bel, is your character's name Adams or Adama? I've seen it spelled both ways.

BelGareth
2023-07-28, 04:15 PM
Greater Status for the monk, check. One left, going fast.

Also, Bel, is your character's name Adams or Adama? I've seen it spelled both ways.

Adama, but auto-correct, my typing, and other things, he will answer to most things beginning with Adam

rax
2023-07-28, 04:37 PM
Greater Status for the monk, check. One left, going fast. Sure, toss one in for Aubryn as well.

@Nines
Haste also gives +1 to attack rolls, AC and Ref saves, as well as +30 ft to movement, so it does more than add an extra attack when using full attack. All of these bonuses are very useful regardless of whether or not the spell target is full attacking, so if we happen to know we're going to fight very soon, I'd rather have it cast before we begin rather than waste a round to get it going.

Also, this:

That covers point, secondary, and eagle, so we just need column and rear sorted. I'll leave that to the armor to hash out, as they get settled in the glade I assume this is some sort of American military speak? I think I can guess what it means, but using plain English terms would make communication easier for a non-military type like me.

Palanan
2023-07-28, 04:49 PM
Okay, Eryn will be casting Greater Status to cover Adama, Aubryn and Doria.

May have a couple additional suggestions over the weekend, depending on how far we get.

BelGareth
2023-07-28, 05:20 PM
Also, this:
I assume this is some sort of American military speak? I think I can guess what it means, but using plain English terms would make communication easier for a non-military type like me.

No, not at all, maybe some kind of fantasy-military pidgeon speech, but that is not American military jargon. Was in the US Marines.

They're just descriptive words used for positioning.

Point - person up front
Secondary - back up to point
Eagle - flying person?
Column - middle people not in front or back
Rear - the rear.

The armor, i would assume is the melee focused players.

EDIT: i mean, point is military jargon.

Nines
2023-07-28, 09:17 PM
Not to get derailed, but it most certainly is, as former Air Force Comms.

Point - lead-in, every branch uses it.
Second(ary) - #2, the actual spearhead, often a more dangerous position if you're being baited into a kill zone.
"the eagle" - used as slang for a drone, and pretty AF-specific, to be fair. Can also refer to any 'eye in the sky' support like SatCom.
Column - more often heard in the army, but related to the bulk portion of any armored formation.
Rear - refers to the formation, whereas 'six' refers to positions in relation to the formation, and a common mistake.

Armor- literally refers to tanks or lightly armored transports such as APCs. Anything that keeps you alive, essentially. Again, more of an army term these days, but the AF inherited a lot of their jargon before splitting off from the Army Air Corps. But when you're on channels as Comms for joint X's, you hear and have to know it all.

But overall pretty good guesses. I'll try to keep it to something resembling English next time, ha.

Goby
2023-07-28, 10:47 PM
If we're talking about positions for a 3 person group of charger, healer, and knight, Doria would prefer to be at the lead of the column so she has room to charge if something happens. Would the honorable knight be willing to guard the rear?
With such a small group, it shouldn't matter much for moving into combat if needed.

Doria would try to stay within 60 ft of the point, able to get there in a single round if needed. Also, that's the radius of both her Leading the Charge ability and her darkvision.

Nines
2023-07-28, 11:26 PM
I appreciate you digging so quickly into the terms like that, I'm glad you liked them.

From a gameplay standpoint, everyone should keep in mind that you can move through friendly occupied squares without penalty, for the rear in particular. You just can't charge through them, which sounds like it might be the deciding factor here.

Also, I'll admit 'flying person?' got a good chuckle out of me after re-reading it again, as an Air Force guy.

*checks bird on uniform, nods knowingly*

BelGareth
2023-07-28, 11:38 PM
Sure, if you can call Air Force comms military :smallwink:

Nines
2023-07-29, 12:15 AM
Oh the heat! Haha. How did I know that was coming? It's okay, we all you know guys are tough. Like when you're marching in the rain, and we drive by in those shiny vans. ^.^

BelGareth
2023-07-29, 08:53 AM
Oh the heat! Haha. How did I know that was coming? It's okay, we all you know guys are tough. Like when you're marching in the rain, and we drive by in those shiny vans. ^.^

Hehehe, just kidding ofc! And yeah, I was a grunt, so that’s pretty darn close to the truth. I’ve been out for a while (16 years!), it’s kind of interesting the different points of perspective from the branches and all that.

Anyway, thank you for your service! It’s good to see another vet in this group.

Nines
2023-07-29, 10:03 AM
Yeah, absolutely! All in good fun on my part, too. It's always nice to have those perennial shared experiences with someone you so recently met, it's a bit like discovering that you both speak the same second language, complete with those subtle little ways of saying 'I've been there too, I get it' (and also sometimes literally, as above heh).

I think it's been roughly the same time for me actually, and thank you as well. Always glad to see.

Palanan
2023-07-29, 05:46 PM
Question for the DM:

Did Elminster actually tell us where to find the Coronal? And do we know where exactly we are, apart from somewhere on the western fringe of the inhabited part?

With a 31 in Survival, Eryn will be trying to locate anything visible which corresponds to what's written on the map, to help fix her position and navigate further in.

Nines
2023-07-29, 05:54 PM
In reference to posts 48 & 49, I just want to be clear that the conversation between Lune and Aubryn was about stealth vs no stealth, to which Ixtalan agreed there may not be need for it given the perceived danger level.

However, Lune does still plan to head directly to the portal that Oghma showed him with his golden threads, and has no interest in chatting up the Coronal first, as this is need-to-know as far as he's concerned.

Judging from @Palanan's post, there may have been some misinterpretation regarding what was being agreed to there.

rax
2023-07-30, 03:13 PM
I'd say that nothing has been agreed, since Ixtalan wants to do things his way regardless of other opinions.

In any case, what happens next is in the hands of the DM, since he's the one who can say whether or not Eryn's singing draws the right kind of attention and whether or not an elven patrol will just wave us through. But just so we're clear, if we do run into elves, Aubryn will explain our purpose and seek permission to continue unless something is obviously off about them. If that culminates in a visit to the Coronal, he's fine with that, and if not, he's fine with that as well.

Palanan
2023-07-30, 03:26 PM
I have to say, Aubryn is just the right degree of gallant.

As for our approach, Eryn's view is that permission of the elves is the best way to proceed. Apart from the literary precedent, Eryn feels that since we’re on elven ground, it’s our obligation as travelers to announce ourselves peacefully.

I'm happy to discuss this more IC; otherwise I'll be waiting for the DM to rule on the results of Eryn’s Survival check, and whether she can see any features in the landscape that correspond to what’s marked on the map.

(If there’s a path marked “this way to Coronal’s pagoda,” all the better.)

rax
2023-07-30, 04:04 PM
I have to say, Aubryn is just the right degree of gallant. Thanks, I'm doing my best! :smallsmile:

Nines
2023-07-30, 04:17 PM
Glad we got that cleared up. Just wanted to make sure that others weren't reading the subtext in isolation and drawing different conclusions.

Ixtalan is also thinking like a magic-user, he is well aware there could be polymorphed or enchanted double agents among the elves. He wouldn't put it past the Shadovar to have infiltrated the place, as he knows they certainly have the means.

But overall, I'm satisfied to wait for the plot to develop further as well. Lastly, I believe we're missing Doria in the glade still.

EDIT: to avoid the double.

@Goby
'Ask and you shall receive' apparently, much appreciated.

@Palanan
On the sources you mentioned, what language are you substituting for Elven there? I'm familiar with Ed's literary work in that area, but I don't recognize those (and not really something I can ask IC, obviously).

paradox26
2023-07-31, 04:28 AM
Question for the DM:

Did Elminster actually tell us where to find the Coronal? And do we know where exactly we are, apart from somewhere on the western fringe of the inhabited part?

With a 31 in Survival, Eryn will be trying to locate anything visible which corresponds to what's written on the map, to help fix her position and navigate further in.

You can assume the coronal's palace is marked on the map. You won't know exactly where you are beyond Elminster's gesture of roughly where you are in relation to the city, so just off the edge of the map. You won't have a long walk to the city, probably just a couple of hundred yards.

You will be able to assess exactly when you get onto the area covered by the map. But by then you will have encountered elven guards anyway.

Nines
2023-07-31, 10:10 AM
Reference post #53,

Alright, so oaks not redwoods then. I was having to guess a bit there. Well Allan is as smart as a human, just light on their academics, so I'll assume he knows the intent of our training on strafing, and he'll keep to below the canopy to provide eyes for the group. Still at 45°, but at an appropriate height.

EDIT (no double): @everyone, please spoiler all OOC commentary in the IC threads (per forum guidelines) as it's jarring to switch between them otherwise. Thank you kindly.

Palanan
2023-07-31, 07:26 PM
So, we should probably pause and be sure we’re all on the same page as far as which way the party is headed.

As noted, Eryn feels that our first stop should be the Coronal’s palace, so that’s the direction she’s taking her first steps in. Looking over IC and OOC comments from the others, I’m not sure if everyone’s automatically headed in that same direction, so we should clarify which way each of us is going.

If this ends up being one of those “where should three heroes go next?” moments, we can discuss it further IC.

__

As for spellcasting (which Doria alluded to earlier), Eryn would have cast Greater Status on Doria, Aubryn and Adama before we were teleported here. Further casting will probably be contingent on how the next couple hours play out.

BelGareth
2023-07-31, 10:17 PM
Adama and I do not care where we go.

Nines
2023-07-31, 11:46 PM
From looking over the IC posts (47 & 48, specifically) it looks like the path heads east from the glade and towards the city. No other paths were mentioned by the DM.

Just to collect it into one place, the marching order:

Allan - eagle (airborne at 45°, keeping to the upper canopy and within 150ft. of Lune. (fly 40ft.)
Lune - point (walk, 35ft.)
<20ft gap to prevent enfilade on sight>
Adama - second (stealthed, 35ft. [70 normal], floating anywhere in the gap)
Doria - column 1 (walk, 30ft.)
Eryn - column 2 (walk, 30ft.)
Aubryn - rear (walk, 30ft.)

What we do once we reach the city is I think where things will differ. Ixtalan would probably prefer a stealthy character to join him for the portal recon, but would also welcome any muscle as well. If all of the others want to visit the Coronal, he's quite comfortable as a lone agent as well.

Palanan
2023-08-01, 12:49 PM
Waiting to hear from rax to be sure Aubryn's okay with this.

If so, then it's over to the DM to narrate how far we get on our lovely stroll into the city.

Also, DM, what time of day is it? And do we know what season it is, and what month and day? I may well have missed the latter.

rax
2023-08-01, 04:08 PM
Sure, works for me. Aubryn thinks we should get permission, but if we make it to a portal first, then we may as well go directly to the tower and explain ourselves afterward.

If we end up splitting up, so be it. That too is one of the benefits of PbP - the DM can run parallell scenes without anyone having to wait for their turn to come up.

Palanan
2023-08-01, 08:31 PM
And now we wait for the dread hand of the DM.

Goby
2023-08-01, 11:02 PM
Marching order make sense to me.
Seems like there’s only one path for now, so Doria assumes the person with the map knows where we’re going.
If/when we encounter a patrol or a portal, then we’ll see what happens.

paradox26
2023-08-02, 01:00 AM
Waiting to hear from rax to be sure Aubryn's okay with this.

If so, then it's over to the DM to narrate how far we get on our lovely stroll into the city.

Also, DM, what time of day is it? And do we know what season it is, and what month and day? I may well have missed the latter.

The time of day is mid-morning. The season we will say is autumn, though I am not sure if that is canon, as the module doesn't go into depth about that sort of detail. And we will say it is the Autumn equinox, the 21st of Eleint, though that shouldn't come into play.

rax
2023-08-02, 07:32 AM
@Palanan

Just tried to PM you but it seems your inbox is full. Nothing earth-shattering, just an observation about some of Eryn's equipment choices.

Palanan
2023-08-04, 07:04 AM
@rax, thanks for the catch on the crystal situation. I'll need to retool those selections somehow.

rax
2023-08-04, 05:57 PM
No problem, hope you find some good alternatives.

paradox26
2023-08-05, 01:57 AM
Just to clarify, are Aubryn and Eryn going forward to meet the elves?

rax
2023-08-05, 04:12 AM
It would seem so, though everyone else is obviously welcome to come as well.

Nines
2023-08-05, 06:01 AM
We can certainly keep moving as a unit if there's no objections. I was simply giving people time to react to the latest information if they wanted to.

EDIT: posted and updated.

Ixtalan isn't really interested in a social call right now, and more with their safety, so he's fine with Eryn doing the talking here while he conducts his own interview of sorts.

Palanan
2023-08-05, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by paradox26
Just to clarify, are Aubryn and Eryn going forward to meet the elves?

Eryn will definitely be proceeding towards the elves, and she'll hope Aubryn is there beside her.

rax
2023-08-05, 05:03 PM
Never fear, Aubryn is here! (or maybe it should be there?) :smallconfused:

Nines
2023-08-05, 11:00 PM
Updated positions for patrol contact:

1. Allan - eagle (airborne at 45°, keeping to the upper canopy and within 150ft. of Lune. (fly 40ft.)
2. Eryn - on approach for contact (walk, 30ft.)
3. Aubryn - joining Eryn, within 5ft. (walk, 30ft.)
<enfilade gap>
4. Lune - keeping within 20ft. of the pair (walk, 35ft.)
5. Adama - floating within 20ft. around Lune (stealthed, 35ft. [70 normal])
6. Doria - holding rear (walk, 30ft.)

Palanan
2023-08-08, 08:25 AM
Ready to parley with the elves.

BelGareth
2023-08-08, 05:00 PM
I'm ready, not much else going on lol

paradox26
2023-08-09, 10:02 AM
Sorry for my absence everyone. I have had to take my mother in law to a bunch of appointments. She will probably be back in hospital again within the next few days. Posting now.

Nines
2023-08-09, 06:57 PM
Glad to have you back.

I went ahead and posted Ixtalan's reply to the patrol as well, below the break. If his magical senses above return anything untoward, he'll be assumed to be playing along long enough to warn the others, and find an opportune opening to engage. Otherwise, he'll play it as it lies.

Palanan
2023-08-09, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by paradox26
Sorry for my absence everyone. I have had to take my mother in law to a bunch of appointments. She will probably be back in hospital again within the next few days.

My last few days have mirrored yours almost exactly. I’m wrung out and ground down from dealing with hospitals and doctors’ offices.

Will try to post something later tonight or tomorrow for Eryn. Are there many other travelers interacting with the moon elves’ patrol, or is it just our group?

Goby
2023-08-09, 10:34 PM
Well spoken.:smallsmile:
And that’s why Doria stepped back to let Eryn speak for to the elves.

Nines
2023-08-09, 10:52 PM
Yes that worked out, and it allowed me the freedom to have a bit of fun with it. I could've certainly broke out my Greenwood elvish from back in post 3, but I thought Eryn needed the spotlight time more here, as it seemed like her moment.

EDIT: also, are we sure the Coronal is a she? I don't recall that being divulged.

Palanan
2023-08-10, 01:40 PM
@rax, my apologies for the mistake there. I saw "Tethyrian dragonblood human" at the top of Aubryn's character sheet and that was as far as my brain went. Last night I could barely think from the physical and emotional fatigue of the past few days.

Eryn would have had more presence of mind, so I'll change that now.

rax
2023-08-10, 03:23 PM
Oh, don't worry about it. Aubryn isn't really fussed, he's just teasing Eryn a bit. I think it makes it more fun if she had a temporary slip of the tongue.

paradox26
2023-08-13, 04:45 AM
My last few days have mirrored yours almost exactly. I’m wrung out and ground down from dealing with hospitals and doctors’ offices.

Will try to post something later tonight or tomorrow for Eryn. Are there many other travelers interacting with the moon elves’ patrol, or is it just our group?
There are not enough visitors to the city that there are any other visitors in sight right now.

Yes that worked out, and it allowed me the freedom to have a bit of fun with it. I could've certainly broke out my Greenwood elvish from back in post 3, but I thought Eryn needed the spotlight time more here, as it seemed like her moment.

EDIT: also, are we sure the Coronal is a she? I don't recall that being divulged.
The Coronal is well known to be female. Elminster would have referred to her as She in passing, so you would know.

Nines
2023-08-13, 05:58 PM
Got it. Couldn't tell if Elminster was being perhaps vague with that information when I re-read it, so it's good to be sure there.

BelGareth
2023-08-15, 02:51 PM
I'm going to drop this game, thanks everyone.

Palanan
2023-08-15, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear it, Bel.

I know our DM has been having some tough days recently. I've lived through much the same as what he's dealing with, and I understand how that is. I'll be waiting in hopes that things improve for him.

Nines
2023-08-16, 01:23 AM
Sad to hear it, but I understand.

There's certainly been some general drop off after such a strong start, which is always disappointing. I'll wait to hear before deciding next steps.

Palanan
2023-08-19, 11:58 AM
Just checking in, in hopes of hearing from the DM.

rax
2023-08-19, 02:53 PM
It's only been a week since his last post here. Sometimes RL gets messy - let's give him some time and space.

Palanan
2023-08-19, 08:06 PM
I've been through much of what he's going through, and understand all too well how that feels.

Certainly willing to give him as much time as he needs, but sometimes it helps to know your players are still interested.

paradox26
2023-08-20, 11:56 PM
I am very sorry for my absence, everyone. I have had a busy week, as you have suggested. I have had something different on every night and haven't had a chance to get online.

rax
2023-08-21, 10:00 AM
Glad to see you're back. :smallsmile:

Palanan
2023-08-24, 07:55 AM
Posted for Eryn, speaking to the Coronal.

Now that Eryn has made contact with the Coronal and advised her of Elminster's concerns, she will be eager to be away to Windsong Tower as soon as we're able.

rax
2023-08-24, 12:43 PM
Looks like Eryn said all the important stuff, so Aubryn will simply smile and nod along.

Nines
2023-08-27, 04:36 AM
Glad to see things picking up a bit here. Went ahead and posted Ixtalan's adventures in the city as well. DM can feel free to add color there as desired along the way.

paradox26
2023-08-28, 06:19 AM
Sorry again for that. I will try to maintain a posting rate of every second day or so.

By the way, we seem to be down to three players. Do you want to continue as is, or try to re-recruit a couple more from those who already applied the first time around?

Nines
2023-08-28, 07:06 AM
Great to hear, and that posting cadence sounds good. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this more with that in mind.

As for players, it looks like we could use a heavy melee and a light skirmisher if we've lost the monk and the barbarian. I'd be in favor of pulling in alternates for those roles. It also seems like an opportune time story-wise, before the adventure area proper ahead.

rax
2023-08-28, 02:39 PM
Sorry again for that. I will try to maintain a posting rate of every second day or so.

By the way, we seem to be down to three players. Do you want to continue as is, or try to re-recruit a couple more from those who already applied the first time around? I'd suggest re-recruiting. Three PCs is probably too low a number and I concur with Nines that it would be good to have at least one more frontliner. Since we're playing a published module, I assume traps will also be a thing, so having someone aboard who can find and deal with them would be nice.

Palanan
2023-08-28, 07:11 PM
I would suggest reaching out to Goby before we open re-recruiting.

Nines
2023-08-28, 10:12 PM
Ixtalan has doors, locks, and traps well covered (in keeping with his Macgyver and espionage roles), so no worries there. I'd definitely want a non-trapper to avoid the role duplication, as it's a core part of his character identity.

In a fight though, Ixtalan isn't much for direct damage as a controller, and with having a defender and healer, it seems applied force is our weakest area at the moment. But luckily, that's usually the easiest thing to recruit for.

paradox26
2023-08-28, 10:55 PM
Okay, I just sent Goby a PM to see if they are still interested. I will wait a day for a response, then will re-recruit for a frontline warrior and a utility character.

paradox26
2023-08-31, 11:26 PM
I waited a few days for Goby, but haven't heard from them. I will repost the recruitment thread. I gave them longer than expected because I have started a course and have been busy the last couple of nights. I am clear for the next week or two though now.

EDIT: Also, I have had to retcon the meeting place. I justw ent back and realised I gave the party members two different temples to meet at for the portals. I will say that you both met at the Temple of Mystra, only since Nines has a Mystran artifact and has started discussions with the guards. Sorry about that.

Nines
2023-09-03, 07:52 AM
Went ahead and posted Ixtalan's negotiations with the Mystran high priestess. Once we have her permission, then we can look to locate our new party members.

paradox26
2023-09-04, 05:08 AM
I will wait another day or so to see if anyone else wants to chime in before I post.

Palanan
2023-09-04, 06:42 AM
I've been waiting until we get the replacements settled. Haven't had much opportunity for posting the past few days. I can post something brief a little later if that would help the DM and the flow of things.

rax
2023-09-04, 04:36 PM
I don't think Aubryn has anything to add here. As far as he's concerned, he and Eryn have already secured permission to travel to and via the portal, so as long as the priestess doesn't start protesting, he's happy to let Ixtalan explain matters again.

paradox26
2023-09-11, 03:39 AM
Hi guys. Sorry I have been quiet, but my life situation has changed a fair bit in the last week. I am doing a study course that has heated up and is taking my nights, and my aged care client has gone into respite and I am now spending all of my days with him at the nursing home to keep him company while his guardian is overseas. This means I will be unable to have enough time to run any games for about the next month or so. I should be able to resume after that, so if you don't mind waiting then keep your characters and I will try to resume when my life goes back to normal. I am very sorry I am not able to continue running the game at this stage. I am able to play in the couple of games I am in because I can post for those while I am waiting to be allowed in to see my client, but I don't have time to be able to access my books when I am at home.

So I unfortunately, long story short, have to put the game on hiatus for three to four weeks. I will understand anyone who doesn't want to stick around, but if you do the game will resume soon.

rax
2023-09-11, 04:40 AM
No worries on my end if you need to put the game on hiatus - I’ll still be around. Drop me a line when you’re ready to continue.

Probably a good idea to share this info in the recruiting thread as well if you haven’t already.

Good luck with the course and work!

paradox26
2023-09-11, 05:46 AM
Thanks for being understanding. Good idea on the recruitment thread. I will drop a message there too.

Palanan
2023-09-11, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the update, I understand all too well how that can be. I'll be waiting, hope you can follow up when you're able.

Is "respite" the same as hospice here in the US?

Nines
2023-09-11, 07:30 AM
I'm not too worried either, four weeks comes and goes pretty fast, all things considered.

Put the time and mental energy into the coursework, as I know it can be demanding (especially if it's also writing heavy). There's an implicit capacity limit on creative output and mental heavy-lifting, and sometimes you have to reallocate it. I can certainly understand that.

I'll set a reminder to check back in around then.

paradox26
2023-09-11, 07:31 AM
I am not sure if it is the same as hospice. He is basically being put into a secure dementia unit of a retirement village for a while while his guardian is overseas. He might be going permanently into the unit though, depending if he likes it. My job is social support for him.

Palanan
2023-09-11, 07:32 AM
Okay, that's something different. Not sure if we have a direct analogue.

Regardless, hope things go as well as they can. I'll be here looking forward to your return.

paradox26
2023-09-30, 01:44 AM
Okay, I am in a position where I am able to reactivate the game. Who is still with us? Recruitment for the replacement players is ongoing, and once I know who is still with us and who is missing, we will continue.

rax
2023-09-30, 06:46 AM
Still here and happy to continue.

Nines
2023-09-30, 08:43 AM
Welcome back, and glad to see. Definitely still interested in continuing as well.

Palanan
2023-09-30, 06:29 PM
Things are rough with me right now, but will try to continue as I'm able.

paradox26
2023-10-10, 05:51 AM
SOrry I have taken so long to get kickstarted again. I have been waiting on an applicant to finish, and got stalled. I will pick the new players in the next half hour or so, then will get an IC post up. Thanks for bearing with me.

I hope things improve for you Palanan. Join in whenever you are ready.

Alhallor
2023-10-10, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone!

Shraxtrix (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2807578) is reporting for duty and I'm glad to be chosen.

I'm kinda surprised about it to be honest, because of my alignment and race choice but we'll see how it's gonna turn out. I'll catch up on the IC and post then.

If it works for everyone I'll be choosing This color?

samduke
2023-10-10, 08:43 AM
I have arrived
Darla the Beastmaster (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2758365)

It appears that BLUE Speech has not been been taken so I will use that for Darla
thanks for the selection, I will read and try to catch up on the ic stuff

P26 thought you would like to know that your post 1 link to the IC is not a link to IC but a link to a post comment style box.

I found and linked to the IC though
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?657805-Anauroch-Empire-of-Shade-IC

is it safe to presume that we have been with the group the whole time ?

P26 did you want a seperate sheet for Darla's Animal Companions:
Ruh - Stealthy melee / mount
Sharak - Stealthy scout
Kodo & Podo - Stealthy thieves

rax
2023-10-10, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the game, both of you. :smallsmile:

@Alhallor
You character isn't evil and there's nothing in her description to indicate that she belongs to any nations or organizations which are opposed to the ones that are important to the other PCs, so Shraxtrix should fit in well.

paradox26
2023-10-11, 12:03 AM
Just to let you all know, there was another applicant whose app I missed, and when I checked it out I liked it, so I have added a third PC. Say hello to BananaPhone.

I have arrived
Darla the Beastmaster (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2758365)

It appears that BLUE Speech has not been been taken so I will use that for Darla
thanks for the selection, I will read and try to catch up on the ic stuff

P26 thought you would like to know that your post 1 link to the IC is not a link to IC but a link to a post comment style box.

I found and linked to the IC though
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?657805-Anauroch-Empire-of-Shade-IC

is it safe to presume that we have been with the group the whole time ?

P26 did you want a seperate sheet for Darla's Animal Companions:
Ruh - Stealthy melee / mount
Sharak - Stealthy scout
Kodo & Podo - Stealthy thieves
Thanks for mentioning the malfunctioning link. I will edit it accordingly.
Yes, you have been with the group the whole time.
No need for a separate sheet, just put the build stubs at the bottom of your own sheet, unless they have an extensive list of powers and abilities.

BananaPhone
2023-10-11, 01:03 AM
Hey all, I didn't expect to get the last minute message shoot, but I appreciate the chance!

Faora Bolton (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839750), a druid that'll be taking lots of punches to her wild-shaped ursine face, who will speak in Green.

https://i.postimg.cc/3Jbw8hvP/4ed0f4077b37b10e25b2648e6864e2c4.jpg

Faora Bolton is a 31-year-old human druid, standing at an above average height of 5'11" with a fit and healthy build with a natural vitality about her. Her sun-kissed skin bears the marks of time spent in the wilderness, and her green eyes shimmer with an otherworldly wisdom. Faora's orange-red hair, often adorned with woven vines and leaves, flows down her back like a fiery waterfall. She wears a simple, foliage-toned robe made of natural fibers beneath a finely crafted leather cuirass adorned with charms and tokens that reflect her connection to the natural world. A wooden staff, carved with intricate patterns and adorned with feathers and stones, is never far from her side. She moves with a quiet grace, her footsteps almost imperceptible as she treads softly on the forest floor.

Faora is a woman of deep conviction, guided by her unyielding commitment to the natural world. Her experiences, both victories, and defeats, have shaped her into a resolute and determined individual. She possesses an unwavering sense of duty towards the forests and all living creatures within them. Her character is marked by the following traits:

Respectful of Nature: Faora reveres the natural world as a living entity, and she views herself as its guardian and protector. She is quick to defend the forest and its inhabitants from any threat, whether natural or man-made.

Compassionate: Despite her often stoic demeanour, Faora possesses a deep well of compassion for those in need. She is known to nurse injured animals and tend to wounded travellers, offering solace and healing to all who cross her path.

Determined: Faora's pursuit of the title of Archdruid is fuelled by a determination to prove herself, both to others and to overcome her feelings of inferiority. She approaches challenges with unwavering resolve and an indomitable spirit.

Cautious: Having experienced betrayal, Faora is naturally cautious when forming new relationships. She trusts the natural world implicitly but is slower to extend that trust to strangers. She values loyalty and integrity above all else.

Connected to the Mystical: Faora's deep connection to the wilds has granted her a profound understanding of the mystical and magical. She often sees the hidden beauty and secrets that lie beneath the surface of the world.

Faora possesses a whimsical fascination with the behavior of forest creatures, particularly squirrels, and often finds herself observing their antics with amusement, and this curiosity about the secret lives of woodland critters often extends to others. Faora can spend hours watching squirrels go about their daily routines, whether it's their acrobatic leaps from tree to tree or their clever tactics for hiding nuts. She has a collection of squirrel-themed trinkets and occasionally communicates with the local squirrel population in a lighthearted, playful manner.

Despite being an...other worldly woman to interact with, Faora can be surprisingly diplomatic (when she wants something), but when not on her behaviour she can show an unusual penchant for insensitivity. It's not that she's rude or wants to make others uncomfortable, but she can speak rather matter-of-factly about ghoulish or dark topics where others might use more tact. Additionally, Faora's deep connection to nature extends to her sense of typically sarcastic or pun-based sense of humor. She often injects her conversations with forest-themed quips and puns, even in the most serious situations.

Faora's favorite alcoholic beverage is a refreshing and earthy herbal mead, crafted from the honey of local bees and infused with a variety of wild herbs and botanicals she gathers from the forest. This mead's natural and earthy flavors resonate with her deep connection to the wilderness, making it a perfect choice to accompany her meals.

As for her favorite food, Faora has a penchant for hearty and rustic fare that reflects her love for nature's bounty. Her go-to dish is a savory venison stew, prepared with tender chunks of venison, foraged mushrooms, root vegetables, and a rich broth made from wild herbs. It's a dish that satisfies her omnivorous appetite while celebrating the balance between the hunter and the hunted in the natural world.

Faora's unique perspective on urban environments sets her apart from the stereotypical druid. While many of her druidic peers might harbor a disdain for cities, viewing them as a blight on the natural world, Faora possesses a broader and more patient outlook shaped by her deep understanding of history and the cyclical nature of the world.

Long-Term Vision: Faora recognizes that civilizations rise and fall, and urban centers, no matter how grand, eventually crumble and return to the earth. She has studied the ebb and flow of empires, the rise and fall of cities, and the transformation of landscapes over millennia. She understands that, in the grand scheme of time, the influence of human civilization is but a fleeting moment.

Nature's Resilience: Instead of seeing cities as permanent scars on the land, Faora believes in the resilience of nature. She understands that, given time, the natural world can reclaim and heal even the most concrete-laden landscapes. She acknowledges that forests may regrow, rivers may cleanse themselves, and wildlife may return once human influence diminishes.

A Patient Advocate: In her interactions with city-dwellers, Faora takes on the role of a patient advocate for the natural world. Rather than condemning urban development outright, she strives to inspire individuals to coexist harmoniously with nature, incorporating sustainable practices and fostering a sense of responsibility for the environment.

Balancing Act: Faora walks a delicate line between her love for the wild and her understanding of the human need for civilization. She believes that striking a balance between the two is crucial for the long-term health of the planet. This perspective often leads her to engage in conversations and initiatives aimed at promoting ecological awareness within urban communities.

Faora's unique outlook challenges the conventional beliefs of her druidic kin but also makes her a bridge between the natural world and the ever-expanding urban landscapes. She serves as a reminder that even within cities, nature's presence persists, and the choice to nurture and protect it lies with those who have the wisdom to see the bigger picture.

Born under the canopy of the ancient Ardeep Forest, Faora Bolton's life was destined to be intertwined with wild magic. She came into the world 31 years ago as a humble human, a child of nature, with eyes that held the secrets of the forest. From her earliest years, she displayed an unyielding curiosity and a deep connection with the natural world, traits that would eventually lead her down the path of druidism. Faora was raised in a modest cottage by her wood-working parents, Elowen and Ealdred Bolton. Unlike some of her elven peers who exhibited natural talents from a young age, Faora's own druidic abilities were slower to manifest. She struggled to communicate with animals and found it challenging to harness the mystical energies of the woods. Yet, her determination and unwavering discipline set her apart. Faora possessed a thirst for knowledge that couldn't be quenched, and she was willing to devote herself to her studies in a way that few could match.

As a young druid-in-training, Faora sought guidance from the Circle of the Moon, whose members were renowned for their shapeshifting abilities. Her mentor, an elderly druid named Taelin, was patient but demanding. He challenged Faora to prove her dedication, sending her on perilous journeys deep into the heart of the forest to seek out rare herbs and uncover hidden groves. These early trials, though fraught with danger, honed Faora's survival instincts and deepened her bond with the natural world.

Event 1 - The Taming of the Wild Beast

One of Faora's early victories came when she encountered a rogue owlbear that had been terrorizing the local wildlife. With her newfound skills, she managed to communicate with the creature and discover the source of its aggression—a painful thorn embedded in its paw. Faora removed the thorn and nursed the owlbear back to health, earning the creature's trust and ending its reign of terror in the forest.

Event 2 - The Betrayal of a Friend

As Faora's abilities grew, so did her circle of acquaintances. Among them was a fellow druid named Elara, with whom she forged a deep bond of friendship. However, when a rare and potent herb known as Moonshadow Bloom was discovered in a hidden glade, Elara's ambition got the better of her. She betrayed Faora, leaving her stranded in the glade and taking the Moonshadow Bloom for herself. This painful betrayal left Faora with a sense of distrust that would linger in her heart for years to come.

Faora's life took an unexpected turn when she met Serwyn, a traveling knight whose path crossed with hers during a particularly fierce winter storm. Serwyn was a chivalrous and noble soul, and Faora found herself drawn to his unwavering sense of duty and honor. Despite the vast differences in their backgrounds, their love blossomed like the springtime flowers of Cormanthor. Their union resulted in the birth of a son, Aelar. However, the responsibilities of her newfound motherhood clashed with Faora's dedication to her druidic training. She faced a difficult choice, one that would shape her future: leave Aelar with Serwyn and continue her quest to become an Archdruid or forsake her ambitions and focus solely on her family. Ultimately she chose the former, with Serwyn taking their son, with her blessing, and parting to Waterdeep where he intended to raise their boy well.

Event 3 - The Battle Against the Blighted Grove

One fateful day, Faora discovered a hidden grove deep within the forest, a place of unparalleled beauty and tranquillity. However, her joy was short-lived as she realized that a sinister force, known as the Blight Rot, was spreading through the grove, corrupting the once-vibrant flora and endangering the delicate balance of the ecosystem.

The source of this blight was an ancient and malevolent treant who had fallen to darkness, its heart consumed by bitterness and hatred for the natural world. Faora understood that to save the grove and heal the land, she had to confront this corrupted treant.

With the guidance of the forest spirits and her own determination, Faora embarked on a perilous journey to confront the treant. The battle that followed was fierce and heartbreaking, as Faora had to face the twisted version of a creature that was once a guardian of the forest. After a grueling struggle, Faora managed to purify the treant's heart, freeing it from the Blight Rot's influence.

As the corrupted treant's malevolence faded, so did the Blight Rot's grip on the grove. Nature's healing magic surged through the land, rejuvenating the grove and purging the blight from its heart. Faora's victory not only saved the sacred grove but also earned her the deep respect of the forest and its spirits. She had proven herself as a true protector of the natural world.

Event 4 - The Lost Connection

During a powerful ritual to commune with a revered ancient tree known as the Eldertree, Faora's concentration wavered, and she inadvertently disrupted the connection between herself and the Eldertree. This sacred tree had been a source of wisdom and guidance for generations of druids, and its loss was a blow to Faora's confidence. She struggled to regain her spiritual connection, feeling as though she had let down her mentors and the entire druidic community.

In the wake of her unintentional disruption of the ritual, Faora embarked on a solitary quest to seek out the lost spirits of the Eldertree. She traversed deep into the heart of the forest, conversing with ancient and powerful entities, and delving into the very essence of the natural world. Her journey was fraught with peril, as she encountered malevolent spirits and overcame treacherous obstacles.

Through her unwavering determination and selflessness, Faora managed to locate the scattered remnants of the Eldertree's spirit and began the arduous process of restoring its connection to the world. She spent years in communion with the tree, learning its wisdom and healing its wounds. In doing so, she not only redeemed herself in the eyes of her druidic peers but also rekindled a profound connection to the heart of the forest.

Now, at the age of 31, Faora Bolton moves forward into her next chapter, her journey marked with wins and losses. She is a human druid who has forged her own path, determined to earn the title of Archdruid, not only as an achievement but also to compensate for a slight feeling of inferiority she felt from her more naturally-gifted peers as a young druidling. As she continues to roam the forest, her presence is a testament to the enduring spirit of those who are willing to sacrifice and strive for the greater good of the natural world.

Spells Prepared:

0: 6
Create water
Cure Minor Wounds
Detect magic
Purify Food and Drink
Read magic
Know Direction

1st: 7
Entangle x2
Faerie Fire
Speak with Animals
Charm Animals
Obscuring Mist
Produce Flame

2nd: 7
Barksin x2
Fog Cloud
Resist Energy
Restoration, Lesser
Summon Swarm
Soften Earth and Stone

3rd: 5
Sleet Storm
Stone Shape
Magic Fang, Greater
Flame Sands
Heart of Water

4th: 5
Enhance Wild Shape x2
Boreal Wind
Heart of earth x2
Wall of salt

5th: 4
Commune with nature 1
Animal Growth
Bite of the Weretiger
Wall of Thorns

6th: 3
Mudslide
Dispel Magic, Greater
Energy Immunity

7th: 1
Master Earth

BananaPhone
2023-10-11, 05:06 AM
After reading the IC, I'll have Faora rock up as the 'second wave' Elminister sent (along with Darla and Shaq). That alright?

Alhallor
2023-10-11, 05:12 AM
I also thought about being already at the other side of the portal but I think for ease of play we just can assume we have been with the group up to this moment.

Yes, you have been with the group the whole time.

Emphasis mine

paradox26
2023-10-11, 07:04 AM
I can roll with however you new players want to introduce yourselves. You can have been with the group all along, but if you specifically want to catch up with the existing characters, then just post that and I will work with it.

BananaPhone
2023-10-11, 07:20 AM
I rolled with being with being there all along.

Alhallor
2023-10-11, 07:29 AM
Also totally fine with just having been there all along.

samduke
2023-10-11, 08:40 AM
No need for a separate sheet, just put the build stubs at the bottom of your own sheet, unless they have an extensive list of powers and abilities.

well they do have extensive "tricks", but its just the normal animal stuff otherwise
I did not purchase them specific gear, something I had originally thought about asking about if selected.
so I will ask now.

large Ruh being effectively a big lizard type cat, I think should have the following slots - (head (bite), face, neck, arms, rings, torso/body, feet (claws)

medium Sharak being a bird, I think should have the following slots - (head (bite), face, neck, torso, legs as arms, feet (claws)

tiny Kodo & Podo being a weasel more specifically Ferrets, I think should have - (head (bite), face, neck, body, feet ) but I would probably only consider something for the head/face maybe feet because of the nature of ferrets ability to go anywhere their head fits

paradox26
2023-10-12, 03:13 AM
well they do have extensive "tricks", but its just the normal animal stuff otherwise
I did not purchase them specific gear, something I had originally thought about asking about if selected.
so I will ask now.

large Ruh being effectively a big lizard type cat, I think should have the following slots - (head (bite), face, neck, arms, rings, torso/body, feet (claws)

medium Sharak being a bird, I think should have the following slots - (head (bite), face, neck, torso, legs as arms, feet (claws)

tiny Kodo & Podo being a weasel more specifically Ferrets, I think should have - (head (bite), face, neck, body, feet ) but I would probably only consider something for the head/face maybe feet because of the nature of ferrets ability to go anywhere their head fits
If you have specific gear you want for them then you can pick it up, but you have to pay for it out of your own gold, as animal companions don't get starting gold. The slots you suggest look fine.

EDIT: Actually, outfitting four creatures from your starting gold is going to be expensive, so I will give you an NPCs worth of starting gold to get them outfitted. That is one NPC between all four of them though, as they shouldn't be capable of competing with an actual character.

samduke
2023-10-12, 08:43 AM
If you have specific gear you want for them then you can pick it up, but you have to pay for it out of your own gold, as animal companions don't get starting gold. The slots you suggest look fine.

EDIT: Actually, outfitting four creatures from your starting gold is going to be expensive, so I will give you an NPCs worth of starting gold to get them outfitted. That is one NPC between all four of them though, as they shouldn't be capable of competing with an actual character.

okay first I will not change it as I already did it, but I spent pc wealth on rations for all 4 as they eat different things.

NPC Wealth by Level 13 35,000 gp

the following I present as By Request/Approval

Ruh
* I spent PC gold on his gear

Sharak
* as a flying bird I can not justify gear because it would affect the fly speed

Kodo & Podo <30,000 gp>

<Head/Face Slot> Goggles of Night 12,000 gp
Darkvision 60ft

<Feet Slot>
Horseshoes of Speed (DMG p260) 3,000 gp
When all 4 are worn by an appropriate creature, it gains a 30ft Enhancement bonus to its land movement rate.

* I would like to alter this to the paws of the ferrets giving them a higher rate of movement

Nines
2023-10-13, 03:59 PM
Welcome everyone. I'm glad to see this getting underway again, and that a lot of you have hung in there with us through the recruitment effort.

We've had a very strong start getting to where we are now, and you're coming in at great time in the storyline, with a new adventure area ahead to establish your characters in. If you've already perused the IC thread, and have any questions on events up until now, do let us know.

paradox26
2023-10-18, 04:55 AM
okay first I will not change it as I already did it, but I spent pc wealth on rations for all 4 as they eat different things.

NPC Wealth by Level 13 35,000 gp

the following I present as By Request/Approval

Ruh
* I spent PC gold on his gear

Sharak
* as a flying bird I can not justify gear because it would affect the fly speed

Kodo & Podo <30,000 gp>

<Head/Face Slot> Goggles of Night 12,000 gp
Darkvision 60ft

<Feet Slot>
Horseshoes of Speed (DMG p260) 3,000 gp
When all 4 are worn by an appropriate creature, it gains a 30ft Enhancement bonus to its land movement rate.

* I would like to alter this to the paws of the ferrets giving them a higher rate of movement
That is all approved, Sam.

Welcome everyone. I'm glad to see this getting underway again, and that a lot of you have hung in there with us through the recruitment effort.

We've had a very strong start getting to where we are now, and you're coming in at great time in the storyline, with a new adventure area ahead to establish your characters in. If you've already perused the IC thread, and have any questions on events up until now, do let us know.
I second this sentiment.

Also, I apologise I went quiet this last week. I had a medical episode which is still ongoing, and have been pretty out of it. It is a mental illness issue, so I am physically fine. But I figured I had better get a post up so we don't start losing people. Feel free to post IC, for those who haven't yet. I am about to update the IC thread. I know Palanan has had issues and may not be rejoining us for a while, so we will continue without them for now.

BananaPhone
2023-10-18, 05:25 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery with your medical episode, Paradox.

paradox26
2023-10-18, 05:40 AM
Thanks mate. It tends to happen a couple of times a year, usually one of those times is around now, so I was kind of expecting it. Only problem is that I am meant to be doing an intensive training course this week and I have missed the whole thing so far.

BananaPhone
2023-10-18, 05:55 AM
Yikes man, I certainly don't envy you there. See if you can get some type of medical waiver, otherwise I'm perfectly fine with you taking the time you need to catch up on your studies. RL comes first.

paradox26
2023-10-18, 06:01 AM
They have been fine with me not coming, but my next assignment requires that I write a reflection on a workshop roleplay conducted during this week's seminars, so like it or not I am going to have to attend at least once before the end of the week.

I should be able to maintain posting. Only issue I have is that I don't receive emailed logs of posts from this game for some reason, neither the OOC or the IC threads email me.

samduke
2023-10-18, 06:13 AM
roll for Knowledge History and Knowledge Arcana to learn more about the tower?

no such skills for darla as they are trained only.

but lets go with the standard for this lot

Darla
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Ruh
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

Sharak
Listen: [roll4]
Spot: [roll5]

Alhallor
2023-10-18, 06:20 AM
Knowledge, History: [roll0]

Knowledge, Arcana: [roll1]

Shraxtrix is hardly an expert, but she can at least try.

BananaPhone
2023-10-18, 07:15 AM
Knowledge (History): [roll0]

rax
2023-10-18, 10:08 AM
I should be able to maintain posting. Only issue I have is that I don't receive emailed logs of posts from this game for some reason, neither the OOC or the IC threads email me. That happens every so often. It's the case in a number of the games I'm currently involved in. I don't know of any reliable way to reverse it, but most of the time the emails start coming again after a while.

Also wishing you good luck on the health front.

Knowledge (arcana) check [roll]1d20+7[roll]

rax
2023-10-18, 10:09 AM
Knowledge (arcana) check, take #2: [roll0]

Nines
2023-10-18, 01:06 PM
Glad to hear from you, and wishing you well as well.

Ixtalan is a deep well of esoterica, so he will rely on his rote knowledge and take 10 on both, while Allan quietly reminds him of something. He'll aim to shore up any gaps after hearing what the other's know.

Knowledge (arcana): 32
Knowledge (history): 31
*+2 aid on history.

Nines
2023-10-18, 01:25 PM
Rolling Harper lore as well (bardic knowledge): [roll0]

paradox26
2023-10-25, 04:58 AM
I am pretty sure you can't Take 10 on a Knowledge check. You either know it or you don't. But as you have bardic knowledge that will tell you a fair bit too. Check IC for details of what you learn.

Nines
2023-10-25, 05:15 PM
I'll send you a PM on it.

In the interest of keeping things moving, Ixtalan will simply roll with Allan's assistance.

Knowledge (arcana) [roll0]

samduke
2023-10-26, 09:12 AM
at and around the fountain area without disturbing the coins or water

search for traps: [roll0]
spot for traps: [roll1]

rax
2023-10-26, 05:24 PM
No updates from me tonight, I'm afraid. Having a rough week but hopefully things will improve over tomorrow, because...TGIF! :smallredface::smallbiggrin:

Nines
2023-11-08, 06:14 PM
I think I missed a notification for the last post here. It's been a busy week and I hadn't realized how much time had passed. Posted and updated.

As a reminder, please remember to spoiler all OOC discussions in the IC threads.

paradox26
2023-11-09, 03:19 AM
I have been busy too. My partner just got back from vacation and has had me doing work around the house and yard for the last week. Things should settle down now though, as we have run out of money for renovations.

rax
2023-11-12, 06:08 AM
@paradox26

I've been having trouble with notifications from subscribed threads the past few weeks. The other players seem to have quited a bit - have you considered reaching out to them to check if they're being notified about updates?

paradox26
2023-11-12, 09:50 AM
I have never received notifications about this particular game, so it is possible, though I think in the past most of the players have gotten notifications. I will see if they are still interested, but I think the slow pace of the game has probably killed their interest, unfortunately.

rax
2023-11-12, 02:00 PM
I don't think it's been all that slow. You've posted about once per week since the game started up again and the drop in replies only began around the time of your last post on the 9th. Even then, both Nines and Alhallor have posted.

Nines
2023-11-12, 11:28 PM
Knowledge check for 'Darcassan':

Knowledge (arcana) [roll0] *+2 Allan's assist
Harper lore [roll1]

Nines
2023-11-12, 11:47 PM
Yeah I'm not sure if anyone else was affected by the last notification being missing or not. Sometimes the break affects some people but not others. I've taken to bookmarking the current page and checking it manually in the meantime, and I've done the usual unsubscribe/resubscribe rigamarole. Hopefully that will fix it.

BananaPhone
2023-11-13, 05:26 AM
Im sorry I havent posted yet, RL troubles.

samduke
2023-11-13, 10:32 AM
i have been keeping up on reading ic, just did not have anything to add to what was happening until now.

RE
If you want to find out if you know the name of Darcassan, please give me either a Knowledge Arcana or History check

Darla has neither so no rolls but I guess I will post something

BananaPhone
2023-11-15, 11:54 PM
Knowledge (History): [roll0]

BananaPhone
2023-11-15, 11:59 PM
I just realised I hadn't chosen Faora's spell load-out.

However, she's going to cast Commune with Nature (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/communeWithNature.htm). For the "three facts" that she's going to learn, she'll learn: the ground or terrain, people and presence of powerful unnatural creatures.

As we seem to be in a carved out tree, it's you're call whether this counts as 'natural' (so she learns out to 13 mile radius) or unnatural (so she learns out to 1,300 radius).

Alhallor
2023-11-20, 09:53 AM
Knowledge, Arcana: [roll0]

paradox26
2023-11-23, 03:02 AM
I just realised I hadn't chosen Faora's spell load-out.

However, she's going to cast Commune with Nature (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/communeWithNature.htm). For the "three facts" that she's going to learn, she'll learn: the ground or terrain, people and presence of powerful unnatural creatures.

As we seem to be in a carved out tree, it's you're call whether this counts as 'natural' (so she learns out to 13 mile radius) or unnatural (so she learns out to 1,300 radius).

You discover that divination magics don't appear to work inside the Tree.

Also, I am very sorry I have been absent for a while. I haven't been mentally well, and what little time I have had online, I have been spending on answering questions for recruitments I am currently involved in. I will get up a post IC now.

Nines
2023-11-29, 06:14 AM
Was in dispose a bit for the holidays, posted and updated now.

I'm assuming a few things, that
1) it's an elven school so I'm assuming Darcassan is elven or at least half-elven in appearance, and
2) the form before us matches what we know of him to look like.

• Could we get a description of Darcassan's appearance and apparent attire?

If the transparent form were human Ixtalan would be a bit more suspicious than the post suggests. If he's human *and* isn't wearing a windsong ring, Ixtalan would probably covertly ready defensive measures, in case of trouble.

paradox26
2023-12-03, 02:01 AM
I have been busy the last few days as well, unfortunately, and have only had a chance to post from my phone, from where I didn't have access to my books.

rax
2023-12-03, 06:42 PM
No problem, thanks for letting us know.

BananaPhone
2023-12-04, 08:08 AM
I'll be posting tomorrow, sorry for sucking ass with keeping up.

paradox26
2023-12-10, 11:38 PM
I am back. I apologise for being absent, but I have been organising and hosting my partner's 60th birthday for most of the last week. I was able to get online to the recruitment thread from my phone, but couldn't post IC because I didn't have access to the module on my computer. I will get a post up now.

rax
2023-12-11, 02:47 AM
Welcome back. Hope the party was a success. :smallsmile:

Alhallor
2023-12-11, 03:23 AM
Hope it's okay that I roll this here.

Will save: [roll0]

samduke
2023-12-11, 09:22 AM
DC24 Will check off everyone.

Will Save: [roll0] <- ohh just passed

Darla the Beastmaster (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2758365)
female TN Human Druid/Beastmaster/WPO, Level 13, Init 5, HP 176/176, Speed 40 fly 40 perfect
AC 20, Touch 14, Flat-footed 17, Fort 16, Ref 10, Will 11, Base Attack Bonus 12/7/2
+1d6 vs undead & or incorporeal +2 Elven Courtblade +17/+12/+7 (1d10+5, 18-20x2)
+2 Mithral Chain Shirt (+6 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Misc)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 14
Condition

edited

rax
2023-12-11, 12:09 PM
Sneaky bugger, casting Will save spells on Aubryn when he's neither been challenged nor in combat...

Will save vs. 24 [roll0]

Nines
2023-12-11, 03:38 PM
Rolls for post #125 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25924100&postcount=125):
Will Save DC 24 [roll0] *incl. +1 vs spells/SLAs

I'd also like to identify the spell he's using to present himself via Spellcraft (no action required) PHB 82.
Spellcraft 35 (take 10) or roll if we're under attack Spellcraft [roll1].

Nines
2023-12-11, 03:45 PM
Wow, succeed on a 2 and rolled a 1, heh.

Still, based on what the effect identifies as I have rerolls available if it's deleterious. I've also got something chambered for Aubryn if we need it, so no worries.

BananaPhone
2023-12-11, 10:07 PM
Apologies about being a garbage poster recently.

Will: [roll0]

I think that passes.

paradox26
2023-12-12, 03:20 AM
The party was fantastic, very relaxed and chilled out. My partner and I have been together for 22 years, and my brother mentioned in all that time he had never seen my partner drunk before, so she had a great night.

Beating the DC24 Will check reveals that the elf is a shadow projection, which will negate 20% of his damage dealing. It is a unique effect, so you can't identify the exact spell used. For those who made the save DC, please remind me during play if you have been attacked that the 20% reduction applies. But if you remain in a state of truce that won't apply.

Alhallor
2023-12-13, 04:58 AM
Should we roll Initiative here or should we just act? Did the cloud do a certain kind of damage or was it untyped?

I'm thinking about giving everyone a Haste and trying to mitigate the damage a bit with Divine Surge or hanging back and using spells.

Reflex save: [roll0] I do hope that works.

Oh and what save DC do we have to beat here?

paradox26
2023-12-13, 05:11 AM
You can just act. Now that he has acted, the whole party can act before we return to the top of the order.

The damage is Acid, and the Reflex save DC is 22.

rax
2023-12-13, 10:58 AM
Reflex save [roll0] vs. DC 22

Nines
2023-12-13, 12:27 PM
Ixtalan: Diplom...ah, damnit.

Well I had the time, until he did that. Ah well.

Edit: wow, with the 1s.

Nines
2023-12-13, 12:29 PM
Reflex save [roll0] versus DC 22.
*incl. +1 vs spells

BananaPhone
2023-12-13, 07:09 PM
Reflex save: [roll0] vs DC 22.

Ooof, Faora takes 42 damage (after reduction from disbelieving).

samduke
2023-12-14, 07:42 AM
You can just act. Now that he has acted, the whole party can act before we return to the top of the order.

The damage is Acid, and the Reflex save DC is 22.

Standard action to cast haste on everyone, except Darcassan, I get 9 people, that should include all of Darla's pets.
Hasted for 9 rounds, don't forget the +1 to Reflex saves, that may be important here.

Darla and animals appreciate that

allies within 30ft of darla will also benefit from Fast Healing 3, which stacks if you already have it.

@paradox 26
Where Kodo and Podo were in their sack, do they take the damage / save ? cuz if they do Podo is gona need healed next round or he may die.. (LOL)

rax
2023-12-14, 11:29 AM
@paradox26

Are we going to be rolling individual initiative at all? The answer will affect Aubryn's actions.

Alhallor
2023-12-14, 03:00 PM
@paradox26

Are we going to be rolling individual initiative at all? The answer will affect Aubryn's actions.

Paradox did say that we can just act and the big bad wizard will act after all of us.

rax
2023-12-14, 03:59 PM
Yes, but if individual initiative is going to be important I still want to know that, since that will decide whether Aubryn's going to cast a spell to boost his initiative or not.

paradox26
2023-12-16, 06:02 AM
Darla and animals appreciate that

allies within 30ft of darla will also benefit from Fast Healing 3, which stacks if you already have it.

@paradox 26
Where Kodo and Podo were in their sack, do they take the damage / save ? cuz if they do Podo is gona need healed next round or he may die.. (LOL)
No, creatures in the bag would be safe, as the cloud wouldn't be able to get into the bag.

@paradox26

I was going to just go with group initiative, but since it affects your actions, Can I please get everyone to post their individual initiatives.

BananaPhone
2023-12-16, 06:25 AM
Rolling initiative:

Faora: [roll0]
Cuddles: [roll1]

Will wait for others until posting action.

rax
2023-12-16, 09:21 AM
I was going to just go with group initiative, but since it affects your actions, Can I please get everyone to post their individual initiatives. If group initiaitve is easier for you going forward, I'm fine with that.

However, I specifically picked Nerveskitter as a spell on the assumption that I'd need to boost Aubryn's initiative in combat, which would appear unnecessary if we're doing group initiative. So if you decide to go with group initiative after this encounter, then I'd like to request being allowed to trade Nerveskitter for another spell. (It also frees up Aubryn's first immediate action for something else than spellcasting :smallsmile: )

Initiative incl. Nerveskitter spell [roll0]

Nines
2023-12-16, 03:44 PM
Rolls for post #131 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25928075&postcount=131):

[roll0] miss chance (incorporeal).

Other rolls:

forgot Allan (raven)'s save: Ref [roll1] vs DC 22.
Allan's [roll2] miss chance (incorporeal).

Initiative for 2nd round [roll3]

In the interest of fairness, rolling a 1 on a reflex save would normally damage an item. My armor would have been affected, but it's immune to acid (blueshine), and I'm shocked that the trait was actually relevant.

Nines
2023-12-16, 03:59 PM
Ixtalan will delay his action for now, as he was just advocating for nonviolence when he was attacked. He's still trying to be the ambassador.

He's hoping the melee can subdue the angry mage without Ixtalan having to turn on him too, so he's more likely to bargain.

If he still looks like he has fight in him at the bottom of the round, Ixtalan will have to choose.

rax
2023-12-17, 01:36 PM
Damage rolls didn't work as intended in the IC post. Re-rolling the failed bits here.

Base damage on standard attack [roll0]
Vicious damage on standard attack [roll1]

Base damage on full attack [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]
Vicious damage on full attack [roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9]

paradox26
2023-12-18, 02:47 AM
If group initiaitve is easier for you going forward, I'm fine with that.

However, I specifically picked Nerveskitter as a spell on the assumption that I'd need to boost Aubryn's initiative in combat, which would appear unnecessary if we're doing group initiative. So if you decide to go with group initiative after this encounter, then I'd like to request being allowed to trade Nerveskitter for another spell. (It also frees up Aubryn's first immediate action for something else than spellcasting :smallsmile: )

Initiative incl. Nerveskitter spell [roll0]

In future I will get one player to roll initiative for the group and go off group initiative based on the result. And that means you can definitely trade Nerveskitter's slot.

And I rolled the results of the miss chances offline, not that it will matter much with the sheer scale of the damage done.

Nines
2023-12-18, 03:19 PM
@paradox26, I'm fine with group initiative, and it is easier on the posting cadence. I do have build resources invested in init as well, and I'd hate for them to go to waste. But if we're using the highest init mod of those present when combat starts, that seems fine.

@rax There might still be some value in nerveskitter for occasions when the party is divided or otherwise individually surprised. Up to you, though.

Referencing IC:
If we're out of initiative at this point, we should probably total up the fast healing based on it's duration for the injured party members.

paradox26
2023-12-19, 12:51 AM
Feel free to either rebuild to take into account group inititative, or if one person is going to roll and it is you, then feel free to keep it as is.

Nines
2023-12-19, 07:13 AM
Okay I'll volunteer to roll then, and leave it as is, that sounds good.

samduke
2023-12-19, 07:32 AM
Darla the Beastmaster (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2758365)
female TN Human Druid/Beastmaster/WPO, Level 13, Init 5, HP 176/176, Speed 40 fly 40 perfect
AC 20, Touch 14, Flat-footed 17, Fort 16, Ref 10, Will 11, Base Attack Bonus 12/7/2
+1d6 vs undead & or incorporeal +2 Elven Courtblade +17/+12/+7 (1d10+5, 18-20x2)
+2 Mithral Chain Shirt (+6 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Misc)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 14
Condition

Status post area attack
Spontaneous Rejuvenation: All allies within 30 feet of you (including yourself) gain fast healing 3 "stacks"
Ruh (212/238)
Sharak (97/150) CLW applied to this animal

1:CLW: (1d8+2)[7]
2:CLW: (1d8+2)[3]

Nines
2023-12-19, 08:46 AM
The druid ACF spontaneous rejuvenation (PHB2 p.39) lasts for 3 rounds, and grants fast healing equal to the sacrificed spell's level. It also explicitly does not stack with other sources of fast healing, as noted at the end of the description.

So Aubryn's fast healing 4 supersedes it for him, but he would've healed 3hp 1hp at the start of his turn, before attacking and activating his own fast healing via his Combat Focus feats.

Edit: after looking at the sheet and asking Samduke, they don't have 3rd level slots to spend on it after all, they only have 1st level spells. So the healing to the group will be 3hp (1hp per round, for 3 rounds).

samduke
2023-12-19, 01:02 PM
The druid ACF spontaneous rejuvenation (PHB2 p.39) lasts for 3 rounds, and grants fast healing equal to the sacrificed spell's level.

So nice that you have taken such a keen interest in my character. please feel free to not pm me again about it.

spontaneous rejuvenation (PHB2 p.39)
Level: 1st.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain the ability to spontaneously convert prepared spells into summon nature’s ally spells.
Benefit: You can transform the stored energy of a spell you have prepared to invigorate you and your allies.

To use spontaneous rejuvenation, you must spend a standard action and sacrifice a prepared spell. All allies within 30 feet of you (including yourself) gain fast healing for 3 rounds. The fast healing amount is equal to the spell’s level.

notations
Please know that everything I did build wise was run past and approved by p26

I had the amount of FH incorrect as I looked at the example , I have fixed that on my sheet and will adjust things post wise as it will be better to cast CLW 2 times.

feat Prodigy (skill) (Planescape Source) <Wizards of the Coast gave permission to them to update the Planescape setting to Third Edition> and the gm allowed it to be used here

Character Background Prereqs: Must be taken at level 1. Benefits: Your maximum rank in 1 skill is raised to level + 6, and it is considered a class skill. Any single skill may be chosen. Normal: Maximum rank in a skill is level + 3.

1:CLW: [roll0]

2:CLW: [roll1]

Nines
2023-12-19, 01:19 PM
So nice that you have taken such a keen interest in my character. please feel free to not pm me again about it.

spontaneous rejuvenation (PHB2 p.39)
Level: 1st.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain the ability to spontaneously convert prepared spells into summon nature’s ally spells.
Benefit: You can transform the stored energy of a spell you have prepared to invigorate you and your allies.

To use spontaneous rejuvenation, you must spend a standard action and sacrifice a prepared spell. All allies within 30 feet of you (including yourself) gain fast healing for 3 rounds. The fast healing amount is equal to the spell’s level.

notations
Please know that everything I did build wise was run past and approved by p26

I had the amount of FH incorrect as I looked at the example , I have fixed that on my sheet and will adjust things post wise as it will be better to cast CLW 2 times.

feat Prodigy (skill) (Planescape Source) <Wizards of the Coast gave permission to them to update the Planescape setting to Third Edition> and the gm allowed it to be used here

Character Background Prereqs: Must be taken at level 1. Benefits: Your maximum rank in 1 skill is raised to level + 6, and it is considered a class skill. Any single skill may be chosen. Normal: Maximum rank in a skill is level + 3.

1:CLW: [roll0]

2:CLW: [roll1]

To be clear, I simply asked the source of an obscure feat that I'd not heard of before (turns out it's a dead link from a defunct 2014 fansite, that's about as obscure as it gets). The snark and rudeness above is really uncalled for.

Nines
2023-12-24, 05:37 PM
Posted and updated, happy holidays everyone.

Does Faora have any healing to offer the injured among the group, by chance?

If so, it would be ideal to take care of that during the downtime as Ixtalan is working on the secret door, and while we wait to find out what's beyond.

BananaPhone
2023-12-26, 12:36 AM
Merry Christmas guys, I hope you all had a great Chrissie!

BananaPhone
2023-12-26, 01:25 AM
Does Faora have any healing to offer the injured among the group, by chance?

She would, I've just been unforgivingly lazy/occupied IRL (over-seas travels, holidays etc) to fill the spell sheet out.

paradox26
2023-12-26, 02:30 AM
Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it. I have just updated the IC thread.

BananaPhone
2023-12-26, 07:28 AM
Faora will use her Wand of Lesser Vigor on anyone who wants it. This is the spell: https://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/spell-compendium--86/vigor-lesser--4725/index.html

She will then cast Heart of Water on herself, with her Extend metamagic rod, lesser, making its duration 26 hours. She'll then cast Heart of Earth on herself.

I compiled a list of her prepped spells, but cannot edit my myth's sheet yet, so I edited them into my first post in this thread with her character box.

samduke
2023-12-27, 07:44 AM
Darla the Beastmaster

Status - Faora will use her Wand of Lesser Vigor on anyone who wants it.

Ruh (227/238) - subject gains 15 hp from Vigor, Lesser
Sharak (122/150) - 10 CLW applied to this animal - subject gains 15 hp from Vigor, Lesser

rax
2023-12-27, 06:14 PM
...And that means you can definitely trade Nerveskitter's slot. Agonized for a bit, then decided to switch it for Shield. Can't hurt to have access to one of Aubryn's key spells with a little longer duration.

Nines
2023-12-29, 08:13 PM
Much appreciated for the wand charges there.

On the group Init changes, I traded out shock and awe since the Init manipulation wouldn't apply.

Ref IC:
Ixtalan is going to continue looking for his points of interest (traps, magic auras, secret doors, or more illusory features) and isn't going to purloin anything until they've made good with their host (or defeated him if he's not who he claims to be).

Nines
2024-01-06, 07:59 PM
Posted and updated.

I've been getting some strange errors with the site over the last few days, a lot of 'server busy' returns from VBulletin and pages failing to load randomly. Has anyone else experienced that?

paradox26
2024-01-07, 01:28 AM
Yes, the forums have gone all screwy the last few days, with it either seizing up or having on of various types of errors coming up constantly. I am trying to update all of my games right now, and it is a nightmare.

BananaPhone
2024-01-09, 07:40 PM
Posting today.

Nines
2024-01-15, 10:59 AM
Posted and updated.

I lost my last reply to the 504 black hole, so I've since moved all of my drafting off-site as the user experience has been so poor of late. Even the one word edits are just excruciating now (of which I usually have several, admittedly).

Here's hoping that things improve.

BananaPhone
2024-01-16, 11:34 PM
I'll be posting more frequently, and a sincere apologies for being such a crap player so far.

Going to make a Listen and Spot check, just in case.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

And another set from Cuddles, just in case:

Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

samduke
2024-01-20, 08:35 AM
still here , just a few days ago i hurt my wist so typing was no possible and even now is painful

Nines
2024-01-24, 05:14 PM
Also checking in, looks like things have improved somewhat on the site front, which is a welcome relief.

The worst load times seem to coincide with GMT -8 (West coast US) peak traffic hours, but at least it isn't constant now. I assume that's the datacenter location.

IC: still very interested, looks like we're at a standstill on the various doorsteps, pending a GM post.

paradox26
2024-01-26, 05:40 AM
Sorry for being absent for so long, everyone. I had a lot of RL things going on, and have barely been online. I was able to access the forum through my mobile, but I wasn't at my computer where I could access the modules, so I couldn't post. Things should return to normal now.

rax
2024-01-26, 12:33 PM
No problem and welcome back!

Nines
2024-02-01, 03:20 AM
Rolls for post #167 ('https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25956247&postcount=167').

Determine type of magic that portal contains:
Arcana [roll0]
OR
Planes [roll1]
*Incl. +5 tome of worldly memory, +2 Allan's assist.

Nines
2024-02-01, 03:37 AM
Good to see everyone.

Struggling through 3-4 minute page load times to post again, and a number of 525 errors and timeouts.

paradox26
2024-02-03, 09:47 PM
Rolls for post #167 ('https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25956247&postcount=167').

Determine type of magic that portal contains:
Arcana [roll0]
OR
Planes [roll1]
*Incl. +5 tome of worldly memory, +2 Allan's assist.

It is a transport portal, like the ones that brought you into the Tower.

I apologise for my absence everyone. It has been due to the forum problems that I haven't been checking in on my games. I have been checking in on the forum itself with my phone, but that hasn't worked very well. It seems to be getting better now though.

Who do we still have with us?