PDA

View Full Version : Troll-Blooded fatigue rules.

H_H_F_F
2023-07-11, 06:34 AM
Bringing this here from the RAW thread, since it seems like it might be a longer discussion. To clarify, this is meant as a RAW discussion. "Just run it like so" doesn't help here.

Q 575

Troll Blooded says "you are fatigued when exposed to sunlight." Does that mean you immediately stop being fatigued when leaving sunlight, rather than staying fatigued until you've rested/removed it somehow? Additionally, how does that interact with effects that remove fatigue, while still in sunlight?

A577 It's ambiguous! "You are fatigued when exposed to sunlight" can be understood to mean both "At the moment of sunlight exposure, you become fatigued" and "While exposed to sunlight, you become fatigued". From the sentence structure I'd be slightly more inclined to assume the first interpretation, but both are grammatically correct.

Looking at other examples of this wording removes some ambiguity:

Sight Link (Su): At 9th level, you gain the ability to see briefly through your raven's eyes. Using this ability is a full-round action, and you can see through the raven's eyes only for the round in which you perform this action. At the end of the round, you are fatigued.

You may activate this feat as a free action. You gain a +2 bonus to your Armor Class for the rest of the current encounter. At the end of the encounter, you are fatigued. For details on fatigue, see the Condition Summary in Chapter 3 of the DUNGEON MASTER's Guide.

A feral trance lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Con modifier. While in a trance, you cannot perform certain actions, and afterward you are fatigued.

These effects only make sense if you read 'you are fatigued' as 'you become fatigued', unless you wish to argue Cumbrous Dodge permanently applies a status condition after its use. Therefore, I think RAW is at the very least highly suggestive of Troll-Blooded inflicting fatigue at the moment (every moment?) of sun exposure, which then wears off normally.

These are all great points, but what do they mean about the way troll blooded works? If I'm not mistaken, without an explicit "can't stack with itself", normal fatigue rules with this reading would mean you become fatigued the first "time" you're exposed to sunlight, and exhausted the second "time".

But what does "time" look like? Round? Should the rule be read as saying "a round of exposure to sunlight makes you fatigued?"

If not, and we're trying to claim that you become fatigued (but not exhausted) when walking out to the sunlight... Why? And how would that interact with, say, lesser restoration?

RAI seems pretty convincing that even under a "become fatigued" reading, you shouldn't become exhausted, but I'm trying to parse RAW here - given that the feat is used first and foremost for RAW shenanigans.

Darg
2023-07-11, 09:04 AM
The feat RAW says "You are fatigued while exposed to sunlight." The effect is immediate and immediately removed when not exposed to sunlight. If you do something to become exhausted, going out of sunlight doesn't return it to fatigued. You need to now follow the exhaustion rules. The feat will not cause you to become exhausted if you were fatigued prior to entering sunlight, but neither will it remove the fatigued condition if you leave sunlight in this case as the feat didn't cause your fatigue.

Inevitability
2023-07-11, 09:22 AM
The feat RAW says "You are fatigued while exposed to sunlight." The effect is immediate and immediately removed when not exposed to sunlight. If you do something to become exhausted, going out of sunlight doesn't return it to fatigued. You need to now follow the exhaustion rules. The feat will not cause you to become exhausted if you were fatigued prior to entering sunlight, but neither will it remove the fatigued condition if you leave sunlight in this case as the feat didn't cause your fatigue.

I didn't check the feat's RAW when answering in the RAW thread (mea culpa). In light of this small but critical wording difference, I'd like to change the answer quoted upthread to agree with your post. If it says 'while' instead of 'when' then it should indeed refer to an ongoing period, rather than a single moment of fatigue-ing.

H_H_F_F
2023-07-11, 10:07 AM
Yeah, my bad on misreading "while" as "when" for sure. This pretty much settles it, I think.

Pinkie Pyro
2023-07-14, 02:29 PM
to keep the ball rolling

But would that fatigue stack to exhaustion with normal fatigue? if you are already exhausted, would you instead become fatigued? could you be both exhausted and fatigued while in sunlight?