PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Iconic module specific gear

Boci
2023-07-11, 09:34 AM
So I'm running a Strange Aeons game, and the players seem like they would enjoy it if I leaned even more into the blurring the lines aspect of the genre, you know, dreams, meta, reality warp, ect. One idea I had for this is they find a magical item from another module. So what I'm looking for is an item that is useful, but especially OP, so no Shattered Crown or Jade Seal, and still recognisable as part of another module to players who tend to be familiar with the official modules of Pathfinder. The Warding Box from Jade Regent is perfect, since its both recognisable and has the potential to be powerful in the hands of a creative player, but isn't a massive power boost. Any other good options?

Rynjin
2023-07-11, 10:15 AM
Raven's Head is an interesting one, from Carrion Crown. It's a very powerful, but narrowly focused Artifact. A heavy mace with several anti-undead features (Undead Bane, Disruption) as well as amping the Channel Smite Feat, and gains most of its benefits, or enhancements to them, only in the hands of a Cleric of Pharasma.

The Mantis Blade is similar, from Serpent's Skull. A fairly powerful, INTELLIGENT, sawtooth sabre whose true powers are only unlocked in the hands of a duly ordained Red Mantis Assassin.

Crake
2023-07-11, 10:23 AM
Having not exactly done a huge amount of modules in my life, probably the most memorable were the sword from white plume mountain, and the dagger from crown of the kobold king, it was a very useful backup item on my shadow danger dancer spheres rogue who focused a lot on teleportation.

Raven777
2023-07-11, 12:18 PM
A WWI era Russian tank from Reign of Winter? :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: better yet. Garden Gnomes. If they're fighting Hastur in a tabletop RPG, can't get more iconic than that.

Boci
2023-07-11, 05:48 PM
Raven's Head is an interesting one, from Carrion Crown. It's a very powerful, but narrowly focused Artifact. A heavy mace with several anti-undead features (Undead Bane, Disruption) as well as amping the Channel Smite Feat, and gains most of its benefits, or enhancements to them, only in the hands of a Cleric of Pharasma.

The Mantis Blade is similar, from Serpent's Skull. A fairly powerful, INTELLIGENT, sawtooth sabre whose true powers are only unlocked in the hands of a duly ordained Red Mantis Assassin.

Those look good. Mantis Blade looks like most of the abilities aren't gated behind being a Red Mantis Assassin, you still get the axiomatic, +1d6 sneakattac, bane and spell-like abilities, but that's an easy fix that the blade won't let non-members use the spell-like abilities too. Maybe later the players can meet a Red Mantis Assassin and trade the artefact with them for something more useful for themselves. Raven's Head looks good.

Having not exactly done a huge amount of modules in my life, probably the most memorable were the sword from white plume mountain, and the dagger from crown of the kobold king, it was a very useful backup item on my shadow danger spheres rogue who focused a lot on teleportation.

Wasn't the sword from White Plume Mountain Blackrazor, and therefor OP as hell? I'll have a look at the dagger if I can find it.

A WWI era Russian tank from Reign of Winter? :smallbiggrin:

Not a terrible suggestion, but likely won't go with that due to a number of reasons.

EDIT: better yet. Garden Gnomes. If they're fighting Hastur in a tabletop RPG, can't get more iconic than that.

Is this another magical item from Reign of Winter?

tyckspoon
2023-07-11, 05:57 PM
Is this another magical item from Reign of Winter?

An Old Man Henderson reference, I suspect.

thorr-kan
2023-07-11, 07:28 PM
Definitely an Old Man Henderson reference.

Bullet06320
2023-07-11, 07:43 PM

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson

well worth reading about old man henderson

Boci
2023-07-17, 12:22 PM
So Heartripper Blade is a good inclusion, not sure the'll recognise it, but its a fun effect, and the party is definitely twisted/evil enough to get some use out of it. Don't think I'll use the crown though, there's no sorceror in the party and its a bit too generic in effects. So, dagger, warding box, raven's head, mantis blade, and I added the mummy's mask, since I remember the initial part not being that powerful. That's 5, be nice to have one more, to make it "roll a d6" table.

Crake
2023-07-17, 01:57 PM
That's 5, be nice to have one more, to make it "roll a d6" table.

Just make 6 a "Roll twice, ignore additional 6s" entry

Mnemius
2023-07-17, 02:01 PM
The ... don't have book handy, sihedron medallions from rise of the rune lords? If I remember right, gave a +1 resistance bonus to all saves (like the cloak), and if on a corpse, acted as a continual gentle repose. I think they also had a 1/day false life ability.

Rynjin
2023-07-17, 02:07 PM
Definitely recognizable and low impact. I think even if you threw in one of the Sin Rune enhanced variants it wouldn't be beyond the pale, in the AP every character in the party was potentially able to have one at level...10 I think was when you got them?

GreatDane
2023-07-17, 04:46 PM
The titular burial mask from Mummy's Mask has powers that scale with the wearer's level, which would make it easy to right-size. I'm not sure whether Mummy's Mask itself is iconic, but the whole AP revolves around this item.

Kurald Galain
2023-07-17, 04:50 PM
Sure. Take a sihedron medallion from Rise of the Runelords; or part of the shattered star from, well, Shattered Star; or the Hao-Jin Tapestry from Pathfinder Society (which is basically an UBER bag of holding).

Boci
2023-07-19, 12:08 PM
The ... don't have book handy, sihedron medallions from rise of the rune lords? If I remember right, gave a +1 resistance bonus to all saves (like the cloak), and if on a corpse, acted as a continual gentle repose. I think they also had a 1/day false life ability.

The medallions are good thanks for that suggestion, I know one player loved Rise of the Runelords.

Sure. Take a sihedron medallion from Rise of the Runelords; or part of the shattered star from, well, Shattered Star; or the Hao-Jin Tapestry from Pathfinder Society (which is basically an UBER bag of holding).

Will probably skip the tapestry, portable demiplane can be used seperatly to better effect I feel. For the Shattered crown, I know the assembled artefact is OP, and I can't find stats for individual pieces. Do you have names for them?

Draconi Redfir
2023-07-19, 12:20 PM
it might be a tad powerful as it's a bit endgame, but i know of Serithtial (https://aonprd.com/MagicArtifactsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Serithtial) from the Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign. If you want something more low-level, then I've currently got the Vindictive Harpoon (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/vindictive-harpoon/) from the Skulls and Shackles campaign.

Can't think of any other campaign-specific gear off the top of my head.