PDA

View Full Version : Most handy monsters

Rebel7284
2023-07-11, 11:44 AM
Is there anything better than a marilith for forms to take with Polymorph/Wildshape/etc for weilding multiple weapons? I know Hecatoncheires exists, but 52HD is just a bit difficult to pull off. Less than Marilith's 16HD would be optimal. No dragon magazine content.

(Anthropomorphic?) Octapods/squid may exist, but the cost of Gloves of Man add up quickly and those need to hold their breath which is a bit awkward. 😳

Thoughts?

Metastachydium
2023-07-11, 12:04 PM
Is there anything better than a marilith for forms to take with Polymorph/Wildshape/etc for weilding multiple weapons? I know Hecatoncheires exists, but 52HD is just a bit difficult to pull off. Less than Marilith's 16HD would be optimal. No dragon magazine content.

(Anthropomorphic?) Octapods/squid may exist, but the cost of Gloves of Man add up quickly and those need to hold their breath which is a bit awkward. 😳

Thoughts?

DarktentaclesMM2 for up to 12 weapons at once? Only has 9 HD.

Rebel7284
2023-07-11, 01:04 PM
DarktentaclesMM2 for up to 12 weapons at once? Only has 9 HD.

Oooh! That's a really good one! My only concern is this ability:

A darktentacles can use only three tentacles at once against a Small or Medium-size opponent. Against a larger foe, it can use three additional tentacles for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that it has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can use only one tentacle. It can use a maximum of three tentacles against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area.

Telonius
2023-07-11, 11:29 PM
Grell (Lords of Madness) have 10 tentacle attacks, with no restriction on how many it can use against a single foe. CR 3, 5 HD.

Rebel7284
2023-07-11, 11:54 PM
Grell (Lords of Madness) have 10 tentacle attacks, with no restriction on how many it can use against a single foe. CR 3, 5 HD.

Ooh! Nice! While it's unclear if those tentacles can use regular weapons, it looks like there is a fancy "silverspear" weapon that definitely can be!

Condé
2023-07-12, 12:21 AM
It depends how many arms you want.

Ormyrr, Xill and Thri-keen, all of them have 4 arms. Diopsids too but they can't really use their little arms so...

A Sharn has a lot of arms too, but they are kinda setting specific, kinda dumb-looking and they have 3 weapons attacks on their sheet and 6 claws and I don't know if they can use more than that. But imagine if they could put all their little hands into one big two handed weapons... What a Strength multiplier it would have...

That's all I have on the top of my head if I remember more I will add them.

Saintheart
2023-07-12, 12:39 AM
A six headed hydra, equipped with mouthpick weapons? :smallbiggrin:

loky1109
2023-07-12, 01:04 AM
A Sharn has a lot of arms too, but they are kinda setting specific, kinda dumb-looking and they have 3 weapons attacks on their sheet and 6 claws and I don't know if they can use more than that. But imagine if they could put all their little hands into one big two handed weapons... What a Strength multiplier it would have...

That's all I have on the top of my head if I remember more I will add them.

Plus, you can't polymorph into sharn form.

Condé
2023-07-12, 01:40 AM
Plus, you can't polymorph into sharn form.

Oh yeah my bad I forgot about what the OP wanted to do.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-07-12, 01:51 AM
The Odopi can't use melee weapons‚ but thrown weapons are fair game.

loky1109
2023-07-12, 04:10 AM
Look at Tako from OA. Could use seven of his eight tentacle-arms to attack with weapons.

ShurikVch
2023-07-12, 03:17 PM
It's not what you're looking for - but, technically, the most "handy" monster is "The Hand" (Flesh Golem variant which is made of hands - and hands only; it's armed with two Large longswords, and on place of its head is giant hand which does Slam+ImpGrab)

Rebel7284
2023-07-13, 11:47 AM
Look at Tako from OA. Could use seven of his eight tentacle-arms to attack with weapons.

This very well might be perfect, but still open to more suggestions!

On a related note, so I can avoid starting another thread, do we know the intent behind this line in Multiweapon Fighting and co?

Special
This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

Presumably, it replaces logically, not that the feat automatically transforms if you get more arms, correct?

What does this mean for Gloves of the Balanced Hand for characters with many arms? Do you get MWF -> Improved MWF?

Can Fighter/Ranger combat style/etc. Pick up MWF?