PDA

View Full Version : Lances

HolyAvenger7
2023-07-12, 06:43 PM
How do the new playtest rules impact this lances?
There is now a 5' limit for the Find Steed mount's "Otherwordly Slam" attack and the mounted Combatant's "Mounted Strike" advantage.
Lances are now only a D10, but have topple.
They also appear valid for GWM and PoleArm Master.
It looks like everything is changing with lances.

Dualight
2023-07-13, 03:44 AM
Do lances still have the same 'special' property? That will matter for how they interact with the Found Steed. (Note: I have not looked at any of the playtest packets)

Damon_Tor
2023-07-13, 11:56 AM
Do lances still have the same 'special' property? That will matter for how they interact with the Found Steed. (Note: I have not looked at any of the playtest packets)

IIRC, they don't have the special property, but instead they lose the two-handed property while mounted.

Dualight
2023-07-13, 12:38 PM
So they no longer have disadvantage while attacking something within 5 feet? Sounds like a buff to me.

Damon_Tor
2023-07-13, 01:18 PM
So they no longer have disadvantage while attacking something within 5 feet? Sounds like a buff to me.

Its a lateral move at best. On a mount you have a free disengage*, so its not a problem to step back 5 feet and attack without issue.

*assuming your table runs the functional interpretation of the mounted combat rules. As an aside I'd REALLY like to see the 2024 version of those.

Schwann145
2023-07-13, 03:06 PM
Ah, the Lance...
The most devastating weapon in melee combat when used, as intended, from horseback. And not by a little, but by a metric F-ton.

D&Done: "It's just like any other martial polearm, except one-handed on a mount."

/headdesk

Mastikator
2023-07-13, 03:51 PM
Ah, the Lance...
The most devastating weapon in melee combat when used, as intended, from horseback. And not by a little, but by a metric F-ton.

D&Done: "It's just like any other martial polearm, except one-handed on a mount."

/headdesk

You can use PAM and GWM while also holding a shield with a lance, and it has topple. So it's still really good while mounted, just differently.

HolyAvenger7
2023-07-13, 04:54 PM

Nope, Heavy, Reach, Two-Handed (unless mounted) Makes it eligible for polearm master?

Damon_Tor
2023-07-13, 08:26 PM
You can use PAM and GWM while also holding a shield with a lance, and it has topple. So it's still really good while mounted, just differently.

It's also one of the only ways you can use both cleave and nick plus a PAM bonus attack all in one round. But I doubt that capability will survive playtesting.