PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Spells for Wand Chambers?

pabelfly
2023-07-13, 02:17 AM
What are your favourite spells to put on a wand for a wand chamber? Both weapons and shields.

Gruftzwerg
2023-07-13, 03:06 AM
I have this idea of an UMD rogue for a while...

Tower Shield: Shieldbearer
Bow: Arrowsplit

Shieldbearer allows to profit from the shields AC without having proficiency or having to face the penalty. Further it can be used for cover (after Full Attack / I'm not talking about Sniping here). Poor man's animated shield.

Arrowsplit is a swift action and enhances an arrow to split into 1d4+1 identical ones. This increases our attacks per turn made with ranged sneack attacks immense.

Arparrabiosa
2023-07-13, 03:12 AM
I use Blade of blood a lot with my melee clerics. I'm also using Inspirational Boost for my bard /crusader.

Biggus
2023-07-13, 03:27 AM
Assuming we're using the RC rule that wands take the same time to activate as the spell they contain, there are some good swift/immediate action ones in the SpC such as Arrow Mind, Guided Shot, Sniper's Shot, Rhino's Rush, and Lion's Charge.

Edit: also Critical Strike and Wraithstrike

lylsyly
2023-07-13, 03:50 AM
For my always elven full arcane casters. Thunderlance, 20 ft reach 3d6 + highest of INT or CHA damage and may dispell a shield or mage armor.

sleepyphoenixx
2023-07-13, 04:26 AM
Blockade (CS) - creates a 5ft block of wood for 3 rounds as a swift action. Make your own heavy cover, block LoE and charges or use it as ammo for a siege weapon.

Instant of Power (FoW) +4 enhancement bonus to a save, attack or damage roll as an immediate action. Since enhancement bonuses to saves are extremely rare this remains useful even at high levels.

Power Sight (MotW) find out how many HD something has. Useful for stuff like turning/rebuking, Sleep, and other effects that depend on HD.

Resurgence (SpC) lets someone reroll a save. Very useful at any level.

Benign Transposition (SpC) swap places of two allies.

Hunter's Mercy (SpC) makes your next bow shot an automatic crit.

Joyful Noise (SpC) counters silence and has duration: concentration. Ideal to give to a familiar.

Wings of Cover (RotD) blocks LoE for a single attack as an immediate action. A great defense option.

Nerveskitter (SpC) +5 initiative in exchange for your immediate action, can be used while flat-footed.

No Light (BoVD) causes darkness you can ignore with darkvision. Useful if you have darkvision while your enemies don't (or you have a Ring of the Darkhidden).

Power Word: Pain (RotD) no-save high damage against low hp enemies.

Snake's Swiftness (SpC) give your BSF an extra attack.

Sniper's Shot (SpC) removes the range limit on ranged sneak attacks. If you're using those you want that.

Stand (PHB2) you or an ally stand up without provoking AoO's, as an immediate action. Also a teleportation effect so it works with Shadow Pounce.

Raging Flame (SpC) increases fire damage. Since it's 1st level, completely unaffected by CL and has no save or SR there's no reason not to cast it from a wand if you use it.

loky1109
2023-07-13, 05:05 AM
Arrow Mind, I choose you!

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-07-13, 05:18 AM
I have this idea of an UMD rogue for a while...

Tower Shield: Shieldbearer
Bow: Arrowsplit

Shieldbearer allows to profit from the shields AC without having proficiency or having to face the penalty. Further it can be used for cover (after Full Attack / I'm not talking about Sniping here). Poor man's animated shield.

Arrowsplit is a swift action and enhances an arrow to split into 1d4+1 identical ones. This increases our attacks per turn made with ranged sneack attacks immense.Unfortunately, due to the way shieldbearer is worded, if we take it literally, the spell doesn't work. It enchants the shield you cast it on, and objects are immune to enchantment effects, which are mind-affecting.

It's stupid, but you'd think the devs would know the difference between enchantments and enhancements by the point that was written.

Gruftzwerg
2023-07-13, 06:34 AM
Unfortunately, due to the way shieldbearer is worded, if we take it literally, the spell doesn't work. It enchants the shield you cast it on, and objects are immune to enchantment effects, which are mind-affecting.

It's stupid, but you'd think the devs would know the difference between enchantments and enhancements by the point that was written.

enchant (verb) != Enchantment (school)

and it's from the "Transmutation" school, not from The Enchantment school.

Why would you take it literary if we have defined words that tell you otherwise?

pabelfly
2023-07-13, 07:33 AM
enchant (verb) != Enchantment (school)

and it's from the "Transmutation" school, not from The Enchantment school.

Why would you take it literary if we have defined words that tell you otherwise?

I swear this is the exact opposite argument you were making only a few weeks ago and those arguing against you were saying this.

Gruftzwerg
2023-07-13, 08:20 AM
I swear this is the exact opposite argument you were making only a few weeks ago and those arguing against you were saying this.

sorry but dunno what you are talking about?

I'm always on the "you can't interpret non-defined words as defined words" -side.

The spell's effect doesn't say "you cast an Enchantment on the shield ..".
It simply says that you "enchant" the shield. Thus it doesn't make use of the defined word, which in conclusion doesn't create any conflict with the "table's school tag" (Transformation).

Or do you mean something else? If you can pin-point what you mean, I'll try to explain/respond to it.

RNightstalker
2023-07-14, 11:59 PM
Dolorous Blow. Doubles threat range and auto confirms crits.

aglondier
2023-07-18, 05:10 AM
I'm seriously considering adding a wand of Shield to my Dwarven Longhammer. +4 AC while wielding a 2-handed weapon.

pabelfly
2023-07-18, 07:14 AM
I'm seriously considering adding a wand of Shield to my Dwarven Longhammer. +4 AC while wielding a 2-handed weapon.

Spending a standard action to cast it hurts, though. There's some occasions where you have a standard action to spend and you can't attack, though. and it would help then.

I wonder if there are other first-level spells that would help you more consistently.

sleepyphoenixx
2023-07-18, 08:34 AM
Spending a standard action to cast it hurts, though. There's some occasions where you have a standard action to spend and you can't attack, though. and it would help then.

I wonder if there are other first-level spells that would help you more consistently.

Dragonmark Shield (DMark) can be cast as a swift or immediate action, but it only lasts 1 round and requires having a dragonmark.

Vizzerdrix
2023-07-19, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately, due to the way shieldbearer is worded, if we take it literally, the spell doesn't work. It enchants the shield you cast it on, and objects are immune to enchantment effects, which are mind-affecting.

Hmm... would it work with a celestial beetle buckler? Where would you even put the wand chamber?:smalleek: