PDA

View Full Version : Rune Knight 17 / Lycan Bloodhunter 3- Am I wrong or is this great on grappler builds?

bsullivanp
2023-07-14, 07:59 AM
I was thinking of perhaps rolling a Goliath Rune Knight, with a 3 level dip in Bloodhunter for Order of Lycan (reflavored as a sort of Giant's Rage). Is it me, or does this grouping work well together? It is true that some of the features overlap (e.g. advtantage in Strength checks/saves, damage resistance from Hill Rune vs. Resilient Hide), but I don't view that as necessarily a bad thing. If anything, it potentially gives more uses of a powerful feature.

But it also feels like it has a lot of synergies. 1) For a grappler like RK, adding Crimson Rite to unarmed strikes plus an additional BA unarmed strike while grappling feels really strong. 2) Blood Curse of Bloated Agony gives disadvantage on Strength & Dexterity checks (also great for a grappler). 3) a second fighting style (albeit from a weak selection), and 4) a minor +1 to melee attacks on top of Crimson Rite from Feral Might.

Is this worth the 3 level investment, however, or could would I be better served with another dip/straight RK?

Dualight
2023-07-14, 02:55 PM
The drawback of multiclassing 3 levels out of Rune Knight is that you lose out on being able to turn Huge, which means you will never be able to grapple Gargantuan creatures.
So I'd say that is something to keep in mind. I am not familiar enough with either Bloodhunters or grappling to give further advice.

Unoriginal
2023-07-15, 04:42 AM
I was thinking of perhaps rolling a Goliath Rune Knight, with a 3 level dip in Bloodhunter for Order of Lycan (reflavored as a sort of Giant's Rage). Is it me, or does this grouping work well together? It is true that some of the features overlap (e.g. advtantage in Strength checks/saves, damage resistance from Hill Rune vs. Resilient Hide), but I don't view that as necessarily a bad thing. If anything, it potentially gives more uses of a powerful feature.

But it also feels like it has a lot of synergies. 1) For a grappler like RK, adding Crimson Rite to unarmed strikes plus an additional BA unarmed strike while grappling feels really strong. 2) Blood Curse of Bloated Agony gives disadvantage on Strength & Dexterity checks (also great for a grappler). 3) a second fighting style (albeit from a weak selection), and 4) a minor +1 to melee attacks on top of Crimson Rite from Feral Might.

Is this worth the 3 level investment, however, or could would I be better served with another dip/straight RK?

Are you starting at lvl 20, or playing a campaign up to lvl 20?

Becsuse the end results are not the same as how fun it is to play the unfinished build.