PDA

View Full Version : Beneath the Dragon-eye Moons

halfeye
2023-07-15, 02:51 PM
There is a whole lot of it, and you have to read it all.

The current (royal road) chapter had me tearing up, because of what came before, it's maybe not that good out of context, but I have read it all (forgot some of it natch, but that's not important), and with context it's sublime.

Then again, I can't imagine there's much further to go.

Sapphire Guard
2023-07-16, 11:05 AM
Can you link page 1?

halfeye
2023-07-16, 12:42 PM
Can you link page 1?

Hm, there are a couple of pages before the first chapter, I'm linking the first of those because it seems <right? just? lawful?>, I guess you could skip them if you want.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36299/beneath-the-dragoneye-moons/chapter/749352/image-gallery

<edit> I apologise, it seems it's mostly gone due to Amazon demanding solo rights. The beginning chapter is still there, but after that I haven't got to anything recognisable as the original story. the ending is still there but how far back you can go I don't know.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36299/beneath-the-dragoneye-moons/chapter/1169352/the-story-so-far

That seems to be the start of the available story, but it's way late in it, there's very little story to come after that.

Rockphed
2023-07-16, 01:43 PM
I got through 3 chapters and now I am lost and confused. I get that the main character got reincarnated from our world into a magical one, but I am confused on how to read the story.

Rynjin
2023-07-17, 10:03 AM
I got through 3 chapters and now I am lost and confused. I get that the main character got reincarnated from our world into a magical one, but I am confused on how to read the story.

You read the story by going to Kindle Unlimited and downloading it, it's absolutely ****ing unreadable on Royal Road now because for some godforsaken reason the author moved the story to KU but left the April Fool's Day crossover chapter son the website so you go from the chapter 1 sample to "LOLSORANDOM XDDDDD" crossover chapter with a bunch of characters from web serials you probably don't actually read.

The story itself is pretty good, if not particularly deep and complex, but damn, that experience pissed me off when I first tried reading it as well.

halfeye
2023-07-17, 05:06 PM
You read the story by going to Kindle Unlimited and downloading it, it's absolutely ****ing unreadable on Royal Road now because for some godforsaken reason the author moved the story to KU but left the April Fool's Day crossover chapters on the website so you go from the chapter 1 sample to "LOLSORANDOM XDDDDD" crossover chapter with a bunch of characters from web serials you probably don't actually read.

The story itself is pretty good, if not particularly deep and complex, but damn, that experience pissed me off when I first tried reading it as well.

Yeah, I was ignorant of quite how much was missing when I started this thread. I don't know what the right way to do this would be, but having stuff available for free then shutting that down for Amazon seems like a really bad idea, if there is nothing free any more then there is no lead in to the text on Amazon.

I don't do Kindle (yet?), their prices for paperback copies are very high to my thinking, £19.99 per book when there are eventually going to be twelve (I think) and A song of Ice and Fire was £4 per book, as was Harry Potter? Not an option I will be taking at this time.

Sapphire Guard
2023-07-17, 05:36 PM
I suspect Amazon made them do it. Sounds like something they'd do.

Rynjin
2023-07-17, 07:40 PM
Amazon absolutely did. That's not the part I have an issue with; it's the lead in of chapter 1 to extraneous joke chapters that have absolutely no warning or context attached to them.

Buufreak
2023-07-17, 08:47 PM
Again. Sounds like something Amazon would do.

Sapphire Guard
2023-07-18, 07:44 PM
Any other good recommendations? It seems like a great platform, but I'm looking for something that doesn't rely on meta conventions, isekai, or litrpg. Any good straight fantasy stories not driven by meta narratives?

Sapphire Guard
2023-08-04, 01:25 PM
I finally started Mother of Learning. I tried it before, but had to overcome my prejudices to get past chapter 1, am now 30 chapters in.

It looked like a ball of my least favourite tropes (teenager becomes all powerful with the power of metagaming). and that's certainly there, but it's been compelling so far.

Rynjin
2023-08-04, 01:41 PM
I finally started Mother of Learning. I tried it before, but had to overcome my prejudices to get past chapter 1, am now 30 chapters in.

It looked like a ball of my least favourite tropes (teenager becomes all powerful with the power of metagaming). and that's certainly there, but it's been compelling so far.

MoL is a classic. It's not perfect, certainly, but it's a highly influential work for a reason and it does a LOT well. I appreciate that every time the story starts to feel repetitive it knows better to speed things up. You're not gonna have to sit through a full loop every single time, and occasionally it will even skip entire loops as little more than footnotes as the story goes on.