PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A (Spheres of Power): Keyhome Questions

Jack_Simth
2023-07-15, 06:59 PM
I was looking at the Keyhome (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/apparatuses#toc28) from Spheres of Power, and had some questions:

1) It's a ten-foot square door.
a) Can that be formed by the creator as any form of door? E.g., a ten-foot slab of wood that swings open to the left, a rolling garage-style door, a sliding door, et cetera?
b) Can that door be used in logical ways? E.g., if I open that ten-foot slab of a door to the left, can I position it to block a hallway?

2) It can be made in any arrangement the builder chooses. If I make the space a hundred foot shaft (all ten cubes stacked on top of each other)...
a) Can I have the door open at the top, so it's a portable pit?
b) What's the climb DC of the walls if someone's stuck in there?

3) If I used Advanced Invisibility (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/illusion#toc49) and Permanent Image (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/illusion#toc54):
a) On the key: Does the doorway inherit the invisibility?
b) On the door: Do people see through the door to the inside, or is it hard to tell that it's there at all as long as the door is shut?

4) Extradimensional spaces aren't accessible at all when in other extradimensional spaces. If I toss someone in Keyhome A, close it from outside, and then toss Keyhome A into Keyhome B, and close that, can the person still escape from Keyhome A with a Strength check or Escape Artist check, or are they stuck until Keyhome A is removed from Keyhome B?

SangoProduction
2023-07-17, 10:22 PM
I was looking at the Keyhome (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/apparatuses#toc28) from Spheres of Power, and had some questions:

1) It's a ten-foot square door.
a) Can that be formed by the creator as any form of door? E.g., a ten-foot slab of wood that swings open to the left, a rolling garage-style door, a sliding door, et cetera?
b) Can that door be used in logical ways? E.g., if I open that ten-foot slab of a door to the left, can I position it to block a hallway?

2) It can be made in any arrangement the builder chooses. If I make the space a hundred foot shaft (all ten cubes stacked on top of each other)...
a) Can I have the door open at the top, so it's a portable pit?
b) What's the climb DC of the walls if someone's stuck in there?

3) If I used Advanced Invisibility (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/illusion#toc49) and Permanent Image (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/illusion#toc54):
a) On the key: Does the doorway inherit the invisibility?
b) On the door: Do people see through the door to the inside, or is it hard to tell that it's there at all as long as the door is shut?

4) Extradimensional spaces aren't accessible at all when in other extradimensional spaces. If I toss someone in Keyhome A, close it from outside, and then toss Keyhome A into Keyhome B, and close that, can the person still escape from Keyhome A with a Strength check or Escape Artist check, or are they stuck until Keyhome A is removed from Keyhome B?

1a) Unless you try and make it a disguised "door," I don't see why not. As long as the function is all the same, get fancy as you want for 40k.
1b) It does not appear as though it requires being attached to an existing surface, so logically yes. I don't see why it would be a one-side-only portal, since both sides are exposed to the open, so it can be forced open and walked through.

2a) I don't see why not. It's certainly not a convenient portal by any means.
b) Oh, as a trap. I see. It's not defined, but I would say its walls are largely up to the designer, and probably made of worked wood or stone. So, given the pathfinder DC, I'd use either 21 or 25, for upper and lower story walls. 25 matches the strength DC so that's well within reason. Then -5 for having corners to brace against.

3a) I don't see why the door would.
3b) This goes on a whole nother philosophical discussion of what invisibility means. To summarize a previous post: "Does an invisible torch still shed light?" The answer is that there is no consistent answer. Why do peoples' clothes go invisible when you make them invisible? Answer: They don't always. See: The Invisible Man vs My Hero Academia.
(But the question can actually be answered by rephrasing it: "How is invisibility used in the narrative?" rather than as a question about invisibility in the absolute. Lovecraft would certainly make an invisible torch shed light. And he has.)

4) Assuming the statements are true, which they sound as such, the former must be removed before the victim can escape, by conventional means. Although if used consistently, I'd certainly have one of your victims eventually be able to climb up and open it, as a surprise encounter. Or perhaps a mystery depending on what mood I was in during preparation.

Jack_Simth
2023-07-19, 07:49 PM
Thanks for responding....

1a) Unless you try and make it a disguised "door," I don't see why not. As long as the function is all the same, get fancy as you want for 40k.
1b) It does not appear as though it requires being attached to an existing surface, so logically yes. I don't see why it would be a one-side-only portal, since both sides are exposed to the open, so it can be forced open and walked through.

Makes for a quick wall spell, though, if you're not a caster. Also re-usable without limit, although only one 10-foot square at a a time.

2a) I don't see why not. It's certainly not a convenient portal by any means.
b) Oh, as a trap. I see. It's not defined, but I would say its walls are largely up to the designer, and probably made of worked wood or stone. So, given the pathfinder DC, I'd use either 21 or 25, for upper and lower story walls. 25 matches the strength DC so that's well within reason. Then -5 for having corners to brace against.
Reasonable rulings.

3a) I don't see why the door would.
Is the door part of the item, or an effect of the item? If it's part of the Keyhome, then it would reasonably inherit effects on the Keyhome (like a helmet is part of a suit of full plate). If it's an effect of the Keyhome, then it wouldn't (like a creature is an effect of a wand of summon monster II).

3b) This goes on a whole nother philosophical discussion of what invisibility means. To summarize a previous post: "Does an invisible torch still shed light?" The answer is that there is no consistent answer. Why do peoples' clothes go invisible when you make them invisible? Answer: They don't always. See: The Invisible Man vs My Hero Academia.
(But the question can actually be answered by rephrasing it: "How is invisibility used in the narrative?" rather than as a question about invisibility in the absolute. Lovecraft would certainly make an invisible torch shed light. And he has.)

There's actually a General rule about invisibility and light (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities/#TOC-Invisibility) in Pathfinder:

An invisible burning torch still gives off light, as does an invisible object with a light or similar spell cast upon it.
... but there's also enough rules within Pathfinder that it is STUPIDLY EASY to miss relevant ones. Which is part of why I ask questions: It's easy to miss things.

4) Assuming the statements are true, which they sound as such, the former must be removed before the victim can escape, by conventional means. Although if used consistently, I'd certainly have one of your victims eventually be able to climb up and open it, as a surprise encounter. Or perhaps a mystery depending on what mood I was in during preparation.
Extradimensional Spaces General Rules (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/#TOC-Extradimensional-Spaces):

A number of spells and magic items utilize extradimensional spaces, such as rope trick, bags of holding, handy haversacks, and portable holes. These spells and magic items create a tiny pocket space that does not exist in any dimension. Such items do not function, however, inside another extradimensional space. If placed inside such a space, they cease to function until removed from the extradimensional space. For example, if a bag of holding is brought into a rope trick, the contents of the bag of holding become inaccessible until the bag of holding is taken outside the rope trick. The only exception to this is when a bag of holding and a portable hole interact, forming a rift to the Astral Plane, as noted in their descriptions.
Sorry, took me a while to find the quote, so it's not in the original post.