PDA

View Full Version : Help with my dm

Akisa
2007-12-06, 11:20 PM
Well I got invited back to play game from old dm I played with before. Like previously before I wanted to make a paladin but once again he claims it's under powered so he recommends me a divine meta magic persistent spell cleric. Once I again I decided picked cleric and not go over board seeing as the other pc weren't optimized (lvl 14 Druid w/o Natural Spell and I asked if it was available and yes it was and was using normal wildshape rules).

After 3 three sessions we finally receive our big large haul, however I noticed right away 2 nightsticks in the treasure pool (when I'm only one who could use turn undead). Now I don't want to over shadow the other players but the dm is not making it easy especially with this kind of temptation. How can I ask the dm to it down?

Jack Zander
2007-12-06, 11:23 PM
Take over all the other character's roles so the DM has to steal them away from you.

Seriously though, that's an awkward situation. It's like telling your boyfriend/girlfriend no, but then you get a box of condoms for Christmas.

SpiderKoopa
2007-12-06, 11:30 PM
This might stem from the DM liking you? I don't know the details, so pardon me if I'm way off base.
I'd suppose the best way is to confront the DM. Or as the previous poster said, use example as a way of showing that you (and probably the other players) don't want to play such broken-ness.

If he doesn't respond to either then... well, I don't know. Sorry. :smallfrown:

Mando Knight
2007-12-06, 11:40 PM
I agree with Koopa.

Also, a DM's job is as a referee and the player for the NPCs... like any referee, he should be neutral towards the players, or otherwise equally helpful/harmful.

He may have a crush on you, but is too insecure of his own skills to admit it. Thus, he tries to show you his feelings through giving you an unfair advantage... it may be his way of leaving a bouquet of roses with a note from a "Secret Admirer" attached...

...Or he's obsessed with ClericZilla and will insist on helping the Paladin/Fighter player to become what he wants. If that's the case, then he's just a bad DM.

In any case, you'll have to confront him somehow. Find a way to convince him that his favoring you is making the game less fun for you and all of the other players...

valadil
2007-12-06, 11:53 PM
Don't let a GM force their conception of a character on you. You need to make it clear what you want to play. I've had a couple games where my idea of a character differed from the character I was actually trying to play. The further it went the more miserable I got. In one case it was a matter of me not speaking up soon enough (the game was coming to a close so I didn't care too much) but the other was a case of the GM thinking he knew better and just not listening to his players. You're better off not playing with that type of GM.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-07, 10:29 AM
I have found the easiest way to deal with this sort of situation is to nerf yourself in small, not particulary noticable ways as you go along. Just hold of a little and let the rest of the party shine. It doesn't matter how many toys you have if you don't play with them.

Another option is to offer to sell some of the treasure and split the profits among the party. If your character is getting more stuff than the rest in terms of gp value that should be going on anyway.

Ganurath
2007-12-07, 11:57 AM
Convince your party's arcanist to take an Item Creation Feat or two if they haven't already. Select Feats that help you in combat. If you get tossed Cleric-only junk, sell it and use the money to fund the arcanist's item creation for you to get fancy new gear more fitting how you want to play. You're still technically a cleric, but for practical purposes you may as well be a paladin... and your DM's only solution is to keep powerful characters away from powerful places where you can sell the goods, which isn't an option if he wants to keep the game running.

Douglas
2007-12-07, 12:38 PM
Use the nightsticks to persist Mass Lesser Vigor. It won't make you outshine everyone in combat, and at the same time it will take care of all out-of-combat healing for the entire party all day long so everyone gets to start every fight at full hp.

Prometheus
2007-12-07, 12:40 PM
Your first mistake was agreeing not to play a Paladin because it is "underpowered". I suggest multiclassing as a fighter.

Xefas
2007-12-07, 12:54 PM
While I, personally, agree with the previous suggestions of subtlety, temperance, and all that, I feel it would be a little bland if you got the same advice over and over. So...*ahem*

If you mention it, it'll make everyone feel awkward and hate you forever. You'll never be invited back, and entirely ruin your friendships with everyone involved. The best thing you can do is take advantage of the DMs zealousness, screw everyone over, and then blame it on him.

Ganurath
2007-12-07, 01:00 PM
*facepalms as he notes the gender of the person who started the thread is opposite that of the pronouns used in reference to the DM, which may explain the DM's interest in empowering her character*

Have your character go through an alignment crisis and require atonement... preferably for a different deity. It provides a plot hook, and allows you to redefine your character in a manner that goes against what the DM had in mind.

tainsouvra
2007-12-07, 01:28 PM
While I don't disagree that some flirting may be involved, it seems like the DM is trying to get you to play the character he wishes he could be playing. Just keep playing the way you want to play.

daggaz
2007-12-07, 01:37 PM
heh, yeah.

Just use the nightsticks on things that arent in the book of cheese. like helping other party members, or laugh, even to power actual turn attempts!

Then go out of your way to roleplay indepth situations with the other PC's and any NPCs that happen to stick their noses in too far.

Sounds to me more like your DM just wants a highpowered smashysmash fest than its any romantic involvement, which curiously enough all the other readers lept upon without even the slightest hint from your side, other than the amazing fact that *gasp* you are of the opposite sexual alignment... While the game should be fun for the DM as well, he should remember, he is primarly there to engage the players in a manner which they accept and find rewarding. (if a DM wants to play a highpowered smash em up game, he needs to advertise that before hand, etc..)

What I mean is no DM should force his vision of "the way to play that class" on any player. It is simply not his decision. Theres a big difference from teaching optimization and railroading somebodies character. And not all "optimized" campaigns are truly optimized, from everybody elses perspective. Its a game. Have fun. If you're not, it is definitely something the DM should be actively dealing with.

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 01:47 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/orphaned_projects.png

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 01:53 PM
Either he likes you, or he is arrogant, or he thinks you need his help, or he's trying to show you that you need his help so you'll respect him, or any combination of the above.

Just say "I don't like to min/max". And make your own decisions. Say that "you think DMM is kind of cheesy", and it's not your style. If he objects, just say that the cleric can be an NPC if he wants.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-07, 02:06 PM
If you are afraid of min/maxing over his game, first see if there's a lot of undead around. If there is, just use the nightsticks as normal. If not, use it to fuel divine feats like divine shield, divine might, divine resistance. Just don't use persist cheese and you are good.

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 02:08 PM
If you are afraid of min/maxing over his game, first see if there's a lot of undead around. If there is, just use the nightsticks as normal. If not, use it to fuel divine feats like divine shield, divine might, divine resistance. Just don't use persist cheese and you are good.

Personally, I really like Domain Spontaneity, Divine Spellpower, and Divine Retrieve Spell.