PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting Question?

incog64
2023-07-17, 10:58 AM
Can you put a separate an enchanting on each gauntlet ie warning on the right and and eager on the left?

Thanks in advance.

Paragon
2023-07-17, 11:15 AM
The only rule that comes to mind is the one about Bracers of Armor in Arms & Equipement Guide, sidebar p130. It specifies that you should basically treat it as armor.

While this is not the most direct answer to your question, I feel it shows one piece of equipment is considered as a whole.

Darg
2023-07-17, 11:55 AM
You can enhance each gauntlet separately as a weapon or together as part of a suit of armor.

Khedrac
2023-07-17, 01:16 PM
Can you put a separate an enchanting on each gauntlet ie warning on the right and and eager on the left?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, however nearly every glove-slot magic item specifies that you have to wear both of them.

If you are enchaning them as armor then no - as you have to enchant your armor not your glove-slot item and your armor takes a single item slow no matter what physical items it comprises (things like dastana being specific exceptions).

So, if you are enchating them as armor you can fluff it that the different enchantments on your armor are from different part os the armor (e.g. gaunlets form th set of full plate) but you price it as enchanting the single armor item.

Fiery Diamond
2023-07-17, 01:18 PM
As the person above said. Also, if you are doing glove-slot items, you can't benefit from two different glove slot items at the same time, even if they only require a single glove/gauntlet each.

Harrow
2023-07-17, 01:38 PM
I'm not certain that I know the answer to incog's question, but I can say that everyone here is answering the wrong question. You're all talking about glove-slot items and armor, when what was asked was about the Warning and Eager weapon enhancements. The point of discussion is whether you can enchant a pair of gauntlets, simple weapons that change your unarmed strike damage to lethal, with differing enhancements.

As for the question itself; "The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet" so I would assume that you can dual-wield them, meaning they would get enhanced separately.

incog64
2023-07-17, 02:35 PM
I'm not certain that I know the answer to incog's question, but I can say that everyone here is answering the wrong question. You're all talking about glove-slot items and armor, when what was asked was about the Warning and Eager weapon enhancements. The point of discussion is whether you can enchant a pair of gauntlets, simple weapons that change your unarmed strike damage to lethal, with differing enhancements.

As for the question itself; "The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet" so I would assume that you can dual-wield them, meaning they would get enhanced separately.

I am more interested in the initiative buffs from Warning and Eager. Would you think the cost would be two +2 enhancements or one +3 enhancement?

Harrow
2023-07-17, 03:36 PM
I am more interested in the initiative buffs from Warning and Eager. Would you think the cost would be two +2 enhancements or one +3 enhancement?

That's what I'm saying; a gauntlet is a weapon, and you can have two of them (assuming two hands). You could make a single +1 Warning Eager gauntlet (You need a generic +1 before you can add other enhancements) for 18,302 gold, or a +1 Warning gauntlet and a second +1 Eager gauntlet for a total of 16,604 gold. They also are listed under "Unarmed Attacks" so you should be able to hold stuff (like a primary weapon) while "wielding" the gauntlets.

AnonJr
2023-07-17, 03:50 PM
what was asked was about the Warning and Eager weapon enhancements. The point of discussion is whether you can enchant a pair of gauntlets, simple weapons that change your unarmed strike damage to lethal, with differing enhancements.

That's the way I read it too. When you hear "gauntlet" it really does initially take your thoughts to "armour", easily forgetting that they can be weapons too. On first blush, I'd assume you could - we wouldn't really be having this discussion if it was a pair of daggers (or some other weapon). I have this nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something though...

I mean, if it was an armour enhancement, you'd be enchanting the entire set of armour - not just the gauntlets, and even then not each one individually. If it was to convert them into a magic item - say Gauntlets of Oger Str - you'd be enchanting the set (and taking up the hands slot for magic items), or say a Glove of Storing - you'd be enchanting one, but it would still take up both hands slot for magic items.

If my initial assumption is true, it would be a total of +2 cost for the first gauntlet (+1 Eager) and a +2 cost for the second gauntlet (+1 Warning). Since the bonus from Eager is untyped, and the bonus from Warning is an insight bonus, they should stack.

(... beat to the punch by Harrow. Should have ignored the dog and posted faster. :smalltongue:)

Thurbane
2023-07-18, 11:52 PM
On a vaguely related note, can a spiked gauntlet (weapon) and locked gauntlet (armor) be combined, as a single piece of mundane gear?

AnonJr
2023-07-19, 08:28 AM
On a vaguely related note, can a spiked gauntlet (weapon) and locked gauntlet (armor) be combined, as a single piece of mundane gear?

As a single, spiked locked gauntlet? You could probably frame it as putting armour spikes on a gauntlet, but we're probably in "ask the DM" territory. Or, at least, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to just stroll into a game with such an item without having cleared it first.

As two items, a locked gauntlet on your main hand, and a spiked gauntlet on your off-hand, that seems fairly straightforward.

Telonius
2023-07-19, 12:41 PM
That's the way I read it too. When you hear "gauntlet" it really does initially take your thoughts to "armour", easily forgetting that they can be weapons too. On first blush, I'd assume you could - we wouldn't really be having this discussion if it was a pair of daggers (or some other weapon). I have this nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something though...

I mean, if it was an armour enhancement, you'd be enchanting the entire set of armour - not just the gauntlets, and even then not each one individually. If it was to convert them into a magic item - say Gauntlets of Oger Str - you'd be enchanting the set (and taking up the hands slot for magic items), or say a Glove of Storing - you'd be enchanting one, but it would still take up both hands slot for magic items.

If my initial assumption is true, it would be a total of +2 cost for the first gauntlet (+1 Eager) and a +2 cost for the second gauntlet (+1 Warning). Since the bonus from Eager is untyped, and the bonus from Warning is an insight bonus, they should stack.

(... beat to the punch by Harrow. Should have ignored the dog and posted faster. :smalltongue:)

The only hair-splitting I could see on it would be this:

Gauntlet
This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.

I could see somebody ruling that since it's technically an unarmed strike, you'd have to do some shenanigans to get it enchanted with anything. (My personal ruling would be, "Seriously?!") If you had a Spiked Gauntlet, that's unquestionably a weapon that can be enchanted however you like; so just spend the extra 3gp and don't worry about the rest.

Darg
2023-07-19, 01:14 PM
I could see somebody ruling that since it's technically an unarmed strike, you'd have to do some shenanigans to get it enchanted with anything. (My personal ruling would be, "Seriously?!") If you had a Spiked Gauntlet, that's unquestionably a weapon that can be enchanted however you like; so just spend the extra 3gp and don't worry about the rest.

What prevents a masterwork fist from existing is the fact you don't craft fists. There's nothing mechanically that prevents a gauntlet being crafted as a masterwork weapon. There are also two reasons why a character would prefer using gauntlets over spiked gauntlets: because you make unarmed strikes you can use it with monk abilities, and because it is an unarmed strike you don't need proficiency to use it without penalty.

AnonJr
2023-07-19, 02:34 PM
I always figured that was stated for the latter aspect, in itallics:

A Medium character deals 1d3 points of nonlethal damage with an unarmed strike. A Small character deals 1d2 points of nonlethal damage. A monk or any character with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat can deal lethal or nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes, at her option. The damage from an unarmed strike is considered weapon damage for the purposes of effects that give you a bonus on weapon damage rolls.

An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon. Therefore, you can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with an unarmed strike.

Since it's not listed as a light weapon, to let you know to treat it as such for Weapon Finesse and effects that give you a bonus on weapon damage rolls.

I seem to recall that there's some handwraps in one of the splat books to give a cheaper option for monks and other unarmed combatants to enchant (as opposed to buying an amulet of natural strikes), and I would think the gauntlets would be in the same boat.

I do agree though that since spiked gauntlets are unambiguously weapons, it's an easier sell to a picky DM. I can understand not wanting to get them for aesthetic reasons though.

Harrow
2023-07-19, 06:58 PM
Can you wield a primary weapon in a hand that has a spiked gauntlet on it? Spiked gauntlets are listed under "Light Melee Weapons", so I don't think you can. A standard gauntlet, however, is listed under "Unarmed Attacks", so I think you could with one of those. Also, if you couldn't wield a weapon with a regular gauntlet, that would make heavy armor and non-breastplate medium armor much less appealing.

Darg
2023-07-19, 09:01 PM
Can you wield a primary weapon in a hand that has a spiked gauntlet on it? Spiked gauntlets are listed under "Light Melee Weapons", so I don't think you can. A standard gauntlet, however, is listed under "Unarmed Attacks", so I think you could with one of those. Also, if you couldn't wield a weapon with a regular gauntlet, that would make heavy armor and non-breastplate medium armor much less appealing.

You can, you just wouldn't be able to use the spiked gauntlet as a weapon while holding an item in same hand. It's just a gauntlet with some spikes added.

sleepyphoenixx
2023-07-20, 01:15 AM
I seem to recall that there's some handwraps in one of the splat books to give a cheaper option for monks and other unarmed combatants to enchant (as opposed to buying an amulet of natural strikes), and I would think the gauntlets would be in the same boat.

Magic of Faerun has Bracers of Striking which can be enchanted as a weapon and apply to your unarmed strikes, but they cost double to enchant.
So for monks it's usually better to get a Necklace of Natural Attacks (SS) instead since it costs the same to enhance as a regular weapon (unlike the Amulet of Mighty Fists which is way overpriced).

If you only care about a place to stick Warning or Spellstrike there's also armor spikes, shield spikes, sleeve-/boot-/kneeblades (CS), Poison Rings (DComp) and for armor enhancements dastana (A&EG) and chahair-aina (OA).

There's also the Claw Gloves (MIC) from the Garb of the Hunting Cat set which count as a pair of +1 punching daggers but explicitly leave your hands free.

AnonJr
2023-07-20, 07:59 AM
Magic of Faerun has Bracers of Striking which can be enchanted as a weapon and apply to your unarmed strikes, but they cost double to enchant.
So for monks it's usually better to get a Necklace of Natural Attacks (SS) instead since it costs the same to enhance as a regular weapon (unlike the Amulet of Mighty Fists which is way overpriced).

Thank you for clarifying. Don't know how I'd slushed the necklace/amulet names together in my head... :smalltongue: