PDA

View Full Version : Swapping 2 handed weapon to bow

Delenot
2023-07-18, 06:58 AM
You can draw OR sheath a 1 handed weapon as a Use Object free action once per turn.

You can draw AND sheath a 1 handed weapon in the same turn using a free action AND a Use Object action.

You can draw AND sheath a 1 handed weapon in the same turn using only a free action if you have the Dual Weilder feat.

I have a player that uses a 2 handed sword and a longbow frequently. Is there a method that allows them to swap between the two as a free action, as you can with 1 handed weapons?

da newt
2023-07-18, 07:26 AM
Draw weapon is a free item action, sheath weapon is a free item action, you can only do one free action per turn (baring special features / bonus actions).

Many DM's allow dropping an item as a zero cost action, but your weapon is now there on the floor for anyone within reach to pick up uncontested.

You can carry a 2 handed weapon in one hand, just not attack with it, so you could enter combat with one weapon in each hand then sheath the one you don't use, then at the end of the next turn draw that weapon to have both out again, then next turn start by sheathing one ... so it takes two turns to switch weapons out.

You can draw OR sheath a 1 handed weapon as a Use Object free action once per turn.

You can draw AND sheath a 1 handed weapon in the same turn using a free action AND a Use Object action.

You can draw AND sheath a 1 handed weapon in the same turn using only a free action if you have the Dual Weilder feat. - NO you can draw or stow two 1-handed weapons, not draw and stow one 1 handed weapon.

Aimeryan
2023-07-18, 09:45 AM
You can interact with one object for free per turn (either during an action or move):

You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action.

So, you can draw and sheath the same object (there are no explicit restrictions on number of interactions with that one object) with that free action, however, you cannot sheath object A and draw object B with the free action as that would be two objects.

You can sheath object A as an action, then draw object B as a free action as follows:

You normally interact with an object while doing something else, such as when you draw a sword as part of an attack. When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action. This action is also useful when you want to interact with more than one object on your turn.

As da newt mentions, one way to get around this is to drop object A, which is usually ruled as no action (there is implicit RAW for this over scattered rules, with the most obvious perhaps being the Unconscious condition which restricts any actions from being taken, and then dropping any held items). The drawbacks could feasibly be semi-negated by attaching a chain or the like to the object so that it is not free to roll/float/fall away due to terrain, and to make it more difficult to steal. Could a DM stop this? Well... it is difficult to see how, but I am sure some DMs will feel that attaching a chain to something is just impossible - meanwhile, the Wizard is calling meteors down.

greenstone
2023-07-18, 05:44 PM
I have a player that uses a 2 handed sword and a longbow frequently. Is there a method that allows them to swap between the two as a free action, as you can with 1 handed weapons?

Drop sword on ground. Pick up bow.

Drop bow on ground. Pick up sword.

Two handed weapons don't have sheaths, or at least not ones you wear on your body. They might go in sheaths when in a wagon. Usually a soldier just carries their big weapon over one shoulder.

Delenot
2023-07-19, 01:52 PM
Thank you all, I appreciate the guidance.

sithlordnergal
2023-07-19, 03:02 PM
Fun fact: That rule makes it so you can only use one thrown weapon at a time, unless you already have a thrown weapon in your hand at the start of your turn. XwX

I can't name a single DM that adheres to that rule though.

Frogreaver
2023-07-19, 10:34 PM
Fun fact: That rule makes it so you can only use one thrown weapon at a time, unless you already have a thrown weapon in your hand at the start of your turn. XwX

Ahem. we do.

sithlordnergal
2023-07-20, 02:47 AM
Ahem. we do.

You are a rare breed of DM X3

Psyren
2023-07-20, 09:53 AM
Many DM's allow dropping an item as a zero cost action, but your weapon is now there on the floor for anyone within reach to pick up uncontested.

Free dropping is also RAI per Crawford (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/725182401027121152)

I'd imagine a lot do, including every AL DM, since overcoming this limitation is the entire point of Thrown Weapon Fighting Style; it's an intended limitation on thrown weapons in 5e by the devs, albeit one that they're removing in One.

Vogie
2023-07-21, 12:33 PM
Drop sword on ground. Pick up bow.

Drop bow on ground. Pick up sword.

And if you're an Eldritch Knight, you can use a bonus action to summon a dropped weapon to your hand. Very useful if you're switching weapons while running about.