PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Chosen of Mystra help

RNightstalker
2023-07-19, 10:25 PM
So the Chosen of Mystra template was approved for my Spellfire Channeler and want some input on the immunities and spell-like abilities.

I'm thinking of using as many of the immunities on things that have no save, but the bigger difficulty is what to use for the SLA's? I'm thinking of Wraithstrike if I'm stuck in melee, some sort of teleport/dimension door for a quick escape, things like that.

What say you playground?

Rebel7284
2023-07-20, 12:41 AM
Do the chosen spells have to be on a particular spell list?
Do SLAs always take a standard action or less even if the casting time is longer?
Are variable components ignored too (such as cost per HD)?

Some thoughts for SLAs
2. Create Magic Tattoo
4. Greater Luminous Armor
5. Permanency/Fabricate
6. True Seeing/Shalantha's Delicate Disk/Animate Dread Warrior
7. Limited Wish/Simulacrum
8. Create Greater Undead?
9. Wish (or Genesis if casting time is bypassed)

RNightstalker
2023-07-20, 10:59 AM
Do the chosen spells have to be on a particular spell list?
Do SLAs always take a standard action or less even if the casting time is longer?
Are variable components ignored too (such as cost per HD)?

Some thoughts for SLAs
2. Create Magic Tattoo
4. Greater Luminous Armor
5. Permanency/Fabricate
6. True Seeing/Shalantha's Delicate Disk/Animate Dread Warrior
7. Limited Wish/Simulacrum
8. Create Greater Undead?
9. Wish (or Genesis if casting time is bypassed)

Those are great questions that I'm going to need to pass on to my DM, especially as to which spells are available; for example, I understand Miracle to be better than Wish. We are doing a non-evil campaign so the undead spells are out.

Rebel7284
2023-07-20, 02:39 PM
Those are great questions that I'm going to need to pass on to my DM, especially as to which spells are available; for example, I understand Miracle to be better than Wish. We are doing a non-evil campaign so the undead spells are out.

One of the reason that Miracle is normally better than Wish is that the XP cost for Miracle only applies to some uses of the spell, but not others. With SLAs not having an XP cost, Wish is actually better since it doesn't have this line

In any event, a request that is out of line with the deity’s (or alignment’s) nature is refused.

In addition, wish has some extra abilities that Miracle is not explicit about such as

Create a magic item, or add to the powers of an existing magic item.

Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score.

While an open-ended spell like Miracle might be able to do those things anyway under some DMs, it also might not.

Gate is also an option to just bring both Wish and Miracle using creatures to you, but that takes more turns to get going and it's unclear what spells a Solar might prepare on a given day (Miracle IS listed as typically prepared, but typical is not always.) Also, does that Solar have enough XP to use the "more powerful" Miracle?

Hmm, good party. Well SLAs may also ignore Sanctified/Archon/etc components if you end up going that way (but double check this part before using).