PDA

View Full Version : 5e Wand of Wonder help

Winds of Nagual
2023-07-20, 07:27 AM
Relatively new to DMing 5e and struggling with the power curve from previous editions. Nearly had a tpk with 6 skeletons and a lvl 2 party. Anyway, I'm trying to create legacy items for each of my PCs. The fey warlock has requested an item that has some whimsy and chaos. So I invented a wand of wonder with 100 effects. More positive, more negative, more whacky. The party is lvl 4 and the plan is as he levels he will be given the ability to raise the number rolled by one at level 6. At 8 he can raise or lower by one. At 10 can raise by up to two or lower by one. Etc. Thoughts? OP? Thanks much

KorvinStarmast
2023-07-20, 07:40 AM
Relatively new to DMing 5e and struggling with the power curve from previous editions. Nearly had a tpk with 6 skeletons and a lvl 2 party. Anyway, I'm trying to create legacy items for each of my PCs. The fey warlock has requested an item that has some whimsy and chaos. So I invented a wand of wonder with 100 effects. More positive, more negative, more whacky. The party is lvl 4 and the plan is as he levels he will be given the ability to raise the number rolled by one at level 6. At 8 he can raise or lower by one. At 10 can raise by up to two or lower by one. Etc. Thoughts? OP? Thanks much I can't offer an answer on "OP" or not since the beneficial and detrimental and just plain whacky items seem to me to be mixed together pretty well.

We have a bard whose use of the wand of wonder is not frequent, but it adds a certain whimsy no matter what happens, since we are all roughly on the edge of our seat wondering "what happens next?" as he rolls the d100.

sithlordnergal
2023-07-20, 11:55 AM
Mmm, I'd need to see the list to be precise, but it shooould be ok? The regular Wand of Wonder is Very Rare, and it has some decently powerful effects...though at the same time it has fun effects. I'm a player who, once they have one, aim to use it once or twice a session, provided it has the charges. My fellow players found it to be a menace. X3

Segev
2023-07-21, 08:21 AM
Presuming that you have it distributed roughly such that there are clusters of 3 in the good/bad/neutral/mixed categories, what you have sounds nice but not overpowered. What I mean by this is, he should have a roughly 1/3 chance of the "raise by one" and "lower by one" not improving his lot. So the table should look something like this, though it can be less regimented than doing this perfectly:

1 - bad thing
2 - bad thing
3 - bad thing
4 - neutral/mixed thing
5 - neutral/mixed thing
6 - neutral/mixed thing
7 - good thing
8 - good thing
9 - good thing
10 - neutral/mixed thing
11 - bad thing
12 - bad thing
13 - neutral/mixed thing
14 - good thing
15 - neutral/mixed thing
16 - bad thing
17 - good thing
18 - good thing

etc.

The first 9 entries are the simplest pattern, ensuring that even with both up and down as options, sometimes he can't make it aught but bad. The second 9 mix it up a bit more, but still make sure that up is potentially not going to help. Both are probably fine, but you want to consider the order carefully as you design the wand so that sometimes the ability to go up is helpful, sometimes the ability to go up or down is helpful, but sometimes one or both are insufficient.

Chronos
2023-07-24, 07:10 AM
I would just put all the entries onto the list in random order. Sometimes you'll end up with large clumps of good or bad effects (actual randomness is a lot clumpier than most folks realize), sometimes they'll basically alternate.

Or instead of "can increase roll by 1", make it "roll twice and choose".

I'd be a little hesitant to do anything that lets you choose from more than two options, though. At some point, it switches from "do whatever the dice want" to "do whatever you want".