PDA

View Full Version : Trying to model an ability, looking for examples

Buufreak
2023-07-23, 12:30 PM
Is there a spell or creature ability that fires a projectile of some sort that fragments after sitting in location for a time? I know Delay Fireball, but that is regular AOE. I'm more looking like it has the first part of DF, but then breaks into smaller balls, if that makes any sense.

Thurbane
2023-07-23, 06:27 PM
I guess something with splash damage, but that's usually at the same time as impact.

Can't think of, or find, and good examples of what you are looking for at the moment.

Buufreak
2023-07-23, 10:29 PM
No sweat, I felt like it might be a long shot. I can always make it from scratch and then post it to see if it needs workshopped for clarity or simplicity.

Phhase
2023-07-24, 02:27 AM
I think Meteor Swarm has the Cluster Charge flavor you're going for, if not the delayed blast.

ciopo
2023-07-24, 02:37 AM
Fire seeds kinda-maybe? also explosive pinecone
gembomb, too

but these are in the flavor of "you make a bomb you cna throw whenever" rather than creating an effect at the target you can command word activate later.

Even call lightning kindaish qualify in my mind :P

bekeleven
2023-07-24, 05:09 PM
Sounds conceptually similar to the (combat) trapsmith prestige classes. You could look into those for inspiration. In balance terms, the traps are usually around the power level of 2nd-3rd level spells.

Bullet06320
2023-07-24, 05:54 PM
Delay Spell from Complete Arcane on a chain lightning that's been had the element changed to fire?