PDA

View Full Version : 5e Item: Beastmaster's Crown

Segev
2023-07-26, 09:57 AM
Beastmaster's Crown
Wondrous Item, requires attunement by a druid or a ranger

While attuned to this crown, the wearer always has the following spells prepared, and my use his spell slots to cast them normally:

animal friendship
beast bond
beast sense
conjure animals

The attuned wearer may also cast speak with animals at will.

When casting conjure animals, the creatures conjured are also affected by beast sense and beast bond at the same time. The attuned wearer may also affect any beast he casts beast sense on with beast bond for no additional action or spell slot. In both cases, the spells can all be concentrated on together without disrupting concentration on each other, though losing concentration causes all of them to be broken.

I am looking for advice on rarity. This does seemingly a lot, but with the exception of making the ritual spell speak with animals into an at will spell and combining some otherwise-lackluster spells, it doesn't save many spell slot resources. It does increase the number of spells available to a druid by making some iconic spells not take up space, and conjure animals is considered one of the best spells for its level, so not having to prepare it and having it be even better is a big boon.

It may help to start by trying to pin down the rarity for this item if all it did was grant the spells prepared, or all it did was make speak with animals an at-will thing. Then discussing how powerful combining beast bond and beast sense is, and especially allowing them to be tacked onto conjure animals.

And, as another consideration, how would its rarity be affected by removing conjure animals and the knock-on effects for it?

Segev
2023-07-29, 10:47 AM
My best guess is to compare this to the Staff of the Woodlands. Thus seems to me to be less of a power boost than that item, which might justify an Uncommon rating, but the Staff also seems powerful for a mere Rare, which suggests that maybe this crown could be on the same tier, having at least similar loosening of spell prep available.

Am I underestimating it, though? Overestimating?