PDA

View Full Version : The Years Have Not Been Well to Thee

Pages : 1 [2]

EvilRoeSlade
2008-05-18, 09:09 PM
Lenna is silent for a moment. You just told me that Raven paid for your ticket. This roster is dated before the Fated took to the air, there was no chance for new records to be sent to the ground. Are you saying that he paid for your ticket before he even met you?

Deepblue706
2008-05-18, 11:07 PM
Puck

Puck scratches his head. "No, he couldn't have, then..." he seems pretty confused. He looks to Raven. "If you didn't, and..." he mutters to himself for a moment, trying to figure things out. "I don't know. I just don't. But, as embarrassing as it is, I didn't pay."

PolkaBear
2008-05-18, 11:57 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

Some comments of the others finally sank into Ibrigil's consciousness. "Wait--you said we had a prior connection to each other? Whatever gave you that notion?! I'm from Ardev, a Brelander like you. I can even produce my identification for you, if necessary. These others; well, I can't speak for them all, but I'm certain that Hesiq was from someplace else. Somewhere...east, I think? I've only just left my parents behind in Ardev. I haven't had time to become involved in any sort of group--outside of this 'adventure' (if you want to call it that) with the ship crashing."

He shook his head. "Really, I don't know where you got that idea."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-05-19, 12:35 AM
I see. Whether that's the truth or not, this is all very... irregular. And forgive me, your prior connection was just an assumption. Whether the five of you are aware of it or not, something just doesn't seem right about all of this.

She drums her fingers on the table. Well, you're free to go then. She nods to Puck. I apologize for our misunderstanding Mr. Wigby, but I'm sure you realize that screaming and carrying on isn't usually a wise course of action. If you... recall anything else, I'd really like to hear it.

Just as your about to leave she speaks up again. One last thing. Grauff told me that he had you investigating the terrible events that have occurred within these walls. I'd like to get your perspective on them.

The_Snark
2008-05-19, 04:35 AM
Miira

"We are doing that," Miira says soberly. "It's—I think it might be a demon. When we talked to Brak, he was normal except for a few seconds when he went mad, and somebody attacked us outside in the shed just a little earlier—only Grauff said he'd never hurt anybody before. And... I saw something off about Brak, afterwards, but it was vanishing even as I caught it. If he were just a murderer, that shouldn't have happened; I think he was tainted by something that had just left him. I think something is twisting people to do these things." She looks about, to see what the others—both the soldiers and her companions—think; people here often didn't think demons and spirits walked among them, subtly trying to corrupt them. This one was less subtle, and hopefully they would accept it.

Deepblue706
2008-05-19, 08:51 AM
Puck

Taken a bit off-guard when hearing an apology directed at him, Puck hesitates a moment before answering. His assumptions about this woman keep changing. Perhaps, he thought, she was a normal person who happened to be under a lot of stress. Of course, that doesn't mean he'd be quick to forgive her for a rather painful strike to the groin.

Suddenly gears change once Miira begins talking about demons.

"Uhm..." He looks back to the sergeant. "I don't know anything about a demon...but some loon starting swinging around a knife at us when we went to that shed. Then Grauff said it wasn't that guy but Brak, and we had a talk with him. He seemed pretty crazy, too. I don't know if it's something in the water, or being enclosed for too long is making people go mad, or what - but I don't think anyone with their wits about them is prone to this um, kind of behavior."

KIDS
2008-05-21, 07:27 AM
"What? How?" Raven's elvin ears perk up slightly as a sign of befuddlement, as he is honestly shocked. "I have no recollection of paying for the ticket for anyone except me and Lady Miira. The finances involved are simply..." he shakes his head as if there are some terrible secrets hidden in the act of paying for an airship. Ah his dear cousins who maintain the trade, why did the crash happen exactly to them? Raven had some quarrels but never wished any evil to his family... shaking off that thought, he continues in an amiable voice: "I wouldn't exclude it from being an accounting error but I am no psychic and don't pay others' tickets without knowing," he flashes a light grin. However, when asked about the investigation he grows much more serious again.

"There is something mysterious about this whole matter and I don't think we can just blame everything on Brak. The details... well you heard about the details, but that murder involved powers and planning I would not attribute to him, even completely mad," Raven explains his opinion, holding himself still while talking. "Have you questioned him yourself? He mentioned 'black gremlins' and 'cackling figments' to us, which makes no sense. But I happen to share Lady Miira's opinion, even if I have no proof for it yet," he concludes. When in company of strangers, he always takes effort (as taught) to speak properly with all the titles, unlike the time when he is with friends alone.

PolkaBear
2008-05-21, 04:13 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

"Yes. There's the business with Brak--I still don't know what to make of that--the half-orcish boy out in the shed, and the grisly business this morning. I assume that Grauff filled you in on those matters? Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-05-21, 07:02 PM
Lenna listens to the others silently, but when Ibrigil speaks, her eyes narrow on him. Of course he didn't. He was with you the entire time. Abruptly she rises. Thank you for your cooperation. Men, we're done here. Spread out. Stay alert and keep the peace.

One by one the soldiers file out of the room. Lenna slumps into her chair. I'll get the details later. This is all a lot to absorb.

Deepblue706
2008-05-21, 09:55 PM
Puck

With a sigh, Puck turns away (although he does glance back at Lenna for a slight second, before heading to the door). "I need a drink." he says, and he begins to make his way to the bar.

KIDS
2008-05-22, 02:45 AM
Raven retains enough of a presence of mind to say the proper farewells before turning to the door. "Farewell." Marching out he is about to mimick Puck's gesture but something flashes through his mind like a reminder and he waits for his other friends to exit the room too before adressing one in a hushed voice. "Miira? I'm--- what did you want to say earlier? Was it something important?"

At the moment he has no real idea of how to investigate now and of whether to... Brak surely didn't look convincing as someone to blame. A twinge of fear appears in his stomach as he ponders the existence of something that can possess another being and use it for its own nefarious means. Perhaps the snowstorm outside would be a better choice before his third chance expires? Raven determines to wait for others' opinions first.

OOC:
please check out my knowledge (arcana/religion/planes) checks in the dice thread and let me know if they provide anything important

The_Snark
2008-05-22, 03:19 AM
Miira

Miira winces slightly at being called a lady, both times. Maybe it was only common courtesy here, as Raven said, but back home she certainly wasn't a lady, and she wouldn't want anybody to think she was pretending to be one.

"Oh—I was going to tell you what I mentioned to the sergeant," she says. "About seeing the stain on Brak, and how it faded. If he were really foul enough to have killed the man upstairs, and the other, it shouldn't have done that. I think the demon left him after that outburst of his."

KIDS
2008-05-24, 07:32 AM
Raven

"I see," Raven says absently, pondering what could be at the root of this. But of course, it could be a thousand things. If it were truly some spiritual presence as Miira hinted at, would it be able to move between targets so quickly? From the half-orc bum to Brak and... whom to next? It's really disturbing. "...and... I was wondering... how do you happen to see such things like the taint you mentioned, Miira? How does it feel? Does it come to your naturally or you have learned to sense it?" he asks somewhat apologetically, though with honest curiousity. Regardless, he doesn't press on with the issue and soon joins their other companions where they are having drinks.

"Where else do you think we should look? Have we missed something? If there was a chance, perhaps we could have a glance at Brak's belongings. Maybe he has scribbled down something about these figments..." he suggest to Puck and Hesiq, wondering if they have any ideas.

Deepblue706
2008-05-24, 10:32 PM
Puck

"I doubt he wrote anything about that." Puck states a bit wearily. "Something's playing with his head - whether he's a nut, or it's someone else's doing, I don't know. But, I know a bit about magic and wouldn't be surprised if someone who knew more was responsible."

Puck pauses as a sudden flash of thought passes through his mind. "What if..." He begins, but then stops again. "If you're all really interested in finding this stuff out - which I'll definitely help out with, even if I'm not too thrilled about it..." he says with some hesitation. "Has anyone done a head-count? I mean, is it possible anyone else is missing, and nobody has realized it? I mean, that guy who was..um...in the room last night. Was anyone really sure it was him?"

PolkaBear
2008-05-25, 12:14 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

"That's a really good question. Perhaps Grauff would know the number of registered guests, businesspeople, and visitors who have been trapped by the snowstorm. We might also want to ask the Sergeant to station guards at the exits; we don't want to trust only to the snow to keep the perpetrator in one place."

KIDS
2008-05-29, 01:47 PM
"Yes, that is actually a good idea," Raven comments as he joins Ibrigil and Puck. "Only... from Grauff's words, I gather he is already agitated enough with all of this. He might not be willing to let us tinker with sentries, counting and anything that alerts people to...well, that alerts people beyond the mess that has been made already. Still, we could ask him how to do the count in the best way possible," he says, looking around. Perhaps it would be better if they braved the snow rather than the haunted building....

...building? Could it be the case? "When was this building built and what was it used for?" Raven thinks aloud, remembering the room that reminded him of a dungeon. "I want to know that. If something dreary had happened here in the past..."

The_Snark
2008-05-29, 02:21 PM
Miira

"It's learned," she'd said with a touch of pride in her voice. That was the only one of the Edgewalker teachings she had caught onto with any ease, and probably one of the reasons she had been chosen to come here.

She follows them to the bar, although she doesn't sit and frowns with slight disapproval at the countertop before looking back to the others. "I was going to walk around and see if I could catch another glimpse of what I saw earlier," she drops into a pause in the conversation. "Does it matter how many people are here in the inn?"

PolkaBear
2008-05-29, 04:10 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

"I wouldn't think that it's the number that's important, per se, but rather any changes in the headcount. People slipping off to unknown whereabouts, or sudden visitors who brave the snowstorm...maybe even more people who go missing--as victims, I mean."

"Maybe Brak has calmed down enough to be coherent and reasonable. I'd like to speak with him again, and find out what he remembers of his episode. I'd also like to know where he was this morning and what he was doing."

"Here's my preliminary thesis: we're dealing with something that can take possession of others' bodies or minds. It possessed the half-orc boy, used him to murder the man upstairs, attacked us, and then fled to another host--Brak--once the boy was dead. I wish there were some way to get an objective sense of the timing of everything: if Brak were going nuts inside at the same time that the boy was attacking us, then it would disprove my suppositions. In any case, I'd like to find out what I can from Brak. I would have asked in our earlier interview, but it was obvious that he was in no state of mind to speak plainly." He leaves unsaid the possible influence of Grauff's scowl on the prisoner's tongue, just in case the dwarf suddenly appeared within earshot.

Deepblue706
2008-05-29, 07:21 PM
Puck

Puck mutters to no-one in particular, after Ibrigil mentions possession. "If there is something that can do that...getting to know more probably means it might happen to us too..." He hesitates a moment. "Whatever. Whoever we talk to - Brak, Grauff, or even the ever-so-delicate segreant, let's just get it over with. I don't want to spend more time thinking about it. I think I'm starting to lose it from the stress."

KIDS
2008-06-02, 03:09 PM
Raven shrugs at first but quickly understands what Ibrigil is getting at. "That seems like a good theory. Good in the 'makes sense' part I mean, not that it bodes well," he weakly grins at himself after the untimely innuendo. "To Brak then; hopefully our host has no objection to speaking with him a second time. Then we can do the exact count and see if there is any difference we can spot."

Besides, why would they ask for permission? They were just investigating, not threathening anyone, and lives were at stake. Of course, the dead face of the half-orcish youth leered at Raven from somewhere in front of him, mocking his goodwill. With a fierce shake of his head, he sent his dark hair flying like a mane and hopefully the dark thoughts out of his mind.

The_Snark
2008-06-02, 05:53 PM
Miira

Miira nods at Ibrigil's explanation, accepting that knowing whether or not people were vanishing or appearing would be good, but looks doubtful at the latest discussion. "Again? But we only just spoke with him. Do you think he'll know more now than a few minutes ago?"

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-02, 06:07 PM
Neither Puck's seat at the bar nor his request for a drink goes noticed by the staff of the Well. The few employees that aren't tending to the patrons upstairs in their rooms or cowering in some other portion of the large trading post either hurry through the room or simply wander about in a daze, Dolly being one waitress who does the latter.

However, Puck's gaze and that of the hobgoblin bodyguard taking up a table meet. The mercenary reaches into his belt and retrieves a small metal flask and lifts it, giving it a shake to demonstrate the sloshing noise inside. Then he roughly slaps the surface of a seat beside him.

PolkaBear
2008-06-02, 07:24 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

Ibrigil approached the distracted shifter with concern written on his face. "Dolly, how are you faring? You don't look well--and understandably so."

Deepblue706
2008-06-02, 09:43 PM
With the hobgoblin's invitation, Puck approaches the table. "Howdy partner." He has a seat. "Name's Puck."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-03, 04:43 PM
The hobgoblin gives Puck a ghastly grin that doesn't meet his eyes. First he makes a noise that sounds like he's choking and then: Krk nih grshnah hra tlk. Hrmna hrmna! With that he slaps the table even more forcefully to indicate the seat beside him. Then he takes a quick and tiny sip from his metal flask, his hairy face grimacing. Without looking at Puck he thrusts the concoction in his direction.

M'fine, murmurs Dolly, who starts to turn away but then pauses and shoots Ibrigil a glare while baring her teeth. Course a'don't look well m'lord, y'think things are goin'... goin' so... well... raaaaaaaaah! She lets out a shriek that sounds similar to the sound a cat makes when being thrown into water and then lunges madly at Ibrigil, throwing her arms around him and burying her face in his stomach, her sobs sounding much like a puppy whimpering. Somehow her wails meld perfectly with the ambiance of the otherwise dead silent dining room.

Deepblue706
2008-06-03, 07:45 PM
Puck

Scratching his head, the witless bard tries to understand the hobgoblin's words. "Yeah, same here, buddy." he mutters.

Puck becomes a bit distracted when Dolly starts to get a little emotional. It was rather visible that he felt bad, but he hesitated to say anything - he had a way with idle chat, but when people needed someone to comfort them, he usually only made things worse. His gaze turned back to the hobgoblin, and the flask he held before him. "Ah, heck. Thanks pal." He grabs the flask, and takes a swig.

KIDS
2008-06-04, 12:00 PM
Raven is very distraught as he notices the strange behaviour of the staff. He had seen soldiers or sailors in a state of shock after something terrible occured to them (akin to the today's events), but to see it in the house you dwell in is even worse. He was not affected too much and still thinks normally, but... could it happen to them too? It's something worth pondering.

Interrupted in his thinking by Dolly's shriek, he turns around on reflex. But there's no attack or anything he can see. "Ibrigil? What happened?" he asks concernedly. Now if all the staff were like that... but likely not, only she had seen the corpse. To recall it seemed much worse than there in the moment of crisis, for now he had the time to ponder all the details of it. Approaching a bit closer, he whispers: "Perhaps we should be going on about our business quickly. I don't know what exactly is amiss, but something surely seems so."

PolkaBear
2008-06-04, 12:59 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

Dolly's reaction embarrassed Ibrigil. He was not devoid of compassion; but his question had been primarily motivated by a desire to maintain a good relationship with the staff, since Grauff struck him as having an agenda of his own and hasn't been reliably helpful. He wasn't quite sure how to handle her sudden display. If Mirlee had ever thrown herself tearfully at him, it had been with much less sincerity (and less cause) than was being displayed now.

"Uh...It'll be alright, Dolly." He awkwardly put one hand on her shoulder and another on her head. The fierce embrace of her thick arms made his ribs groan. "I can't imagine how hard it's been on you; but you've been brave. I doubt that any of the other employees would have been able even to come down the stairs and resume their duties." He looked around for one of her coworkers to whom he could appeal for assistance; but he was met by the dead stares that registered mixtures of disdain, alarm, and even confusion--and very little compassion.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-06, 02:27 PM
The rim of the hobgoblin's flask is chilly and sends a shiver down Puck's spine as he puts it to his lips. The first sensation he receives upon consuming the beverage is that his mouth has died and gone to hell. His vision blurs with pain. The taste is foul, burning his nostrils and sending his tongue into a state of epileptic shock. But the wretched taste quickly passes and is replaced with a rich, nutty, and lightly sweet flavor that is accompanied by a strange sense of euphoria that banishes all worries from his mind.

Suddenly Puck becomes aware of a rough, inhuman laughter and realizes that the only thing that has kept him from falling from his chair is the mercenary's hairy, powerful hand on his arm. After taking another small sip, Puck is once again offered the drink.

Grauff of all people comes to Ibrigil's rescue. Alerted by Dolly's screech he trudges into the room, axe drawn. After taking in the scene he lets out a grunt of annoyance, puts his blade away, and hauls Dolly roughly off Ibrigil. However, he then gives her a surprisingly gentle look and musses up her hair. I said ye've got the day off, didn't I? You know I don't make jokes. Go back to sleep foolish girl. Looking embarrassed, Dolly scurries back toward the door beneath the stairs. Grauff's gaze drifts sharply to a human girl that looks slightly older then Dolly. Beasties sleep better when they're curled up with the pack. Go wrap yer arms around her, I've no time for that orcsh-t. The other girl's blank expression doesn't change, but she leaves to do the dwarf's bidding.

Grauff is frowning. Though he doesn't give the appearance of addressing anyone in particular, he's still standing beside Ibrigil. She used to be pretty good at actin' like a human. Host above I hope this ain't permanent. Suddenly his head jerks warily to Ibrigil, as though the man had spoken out or made some other sort of noise. His gaze remains suspiciously on him for a confused moment, before his brow furrows. I've been in the business long enough to know when somebodies got somethin' they want. Spit it out now if ye intend to.

Deepblue706
2008-06-06, 11:27 PM
After suffering so greatly from a single swig of the hobgoblin's drink, he rejects the second offer. "No, No...I'm good. Thanks pal." He considers standing again, but then wonders if it would be rude to leave so soon. "So, I take it you don't speak much common, eh?"

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-06, 11:51 PM
The hobgoblin frowns for a moment and then looks wearily away from Puck.

Deepblue706
2008-06-06, 11:58 PM
"Oh, alright then, Bob. You don't mind if I call you that, do you? I mean, since I don't know your real name, and don't know if I can just say, 'hey you'." He pauses. "You know what, Bob? Gimme another damn drink!" He holds out his hand.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-07, 12:25 AM
The hobgoblin furrows his brow and looks into Puck's eyes before nodding. Bob, he says. He then extends the metal flask to Puck. Homan.

With that drink, make a fortitude save.

KIDS
2008-06-07, 05:49 AM
Raven has been standing silently near Ibrigil and observing the way Dolly acted, pondering grim thoughts, but he isn't about to miss the chance to get what information they wanted. "Actually, I was wondering when and by whom this building was made. Was it always a tavern?" he asks Grauff.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-07, 05:56 AM
Grauff turns and stares at Raven, scowling. No, it was not always a tavern. It was never a tavern. It's a trading post, since that seems to have escaped your attention. As for who built it... I did. Did you have any smart questions?

Deepblue706
2008-06-07, 11:27 AM
Straight d20 roll for Fort Save! This'll be fun...

[roll0]

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-09, 02:35 AM
Puck finds his second drink even more satisfying than his first.

KIDS
2008-06-11, 11:41 AM
Touche again. Well, there goes the haunted building theory... Raven supresses a grin, somehow finding that possibility good to write off the list of suspicions. "Yes, we wanted to speak with Brak again. There are a few questions that we want to ask him, now that you mention it." he suggests, observing out of the corner of his eye if Dolly has truly departed to her room, wondering if with her strange (though understandable) behaviour she is going to stay and listen to them from a corner or something.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-11, 02:17 PM
Dolly seems to have obeyed Grauff and left for her room.

Grauff frowns. Again? What's so interesting about that worm? He shakes his hand after a moment. Never mind, I don't have time for this. He pulls a ring of keys from his belt and tosses it into Raven's hands. Just be sure he doesn't get out. Doubt he could put up much of a fight anyway.

Hesiq rises from the bar and approaches Raven. Err, listen. I think I'm going to talk with some of the other patrons and see if I can find out anything. I don't have anything I want to say to him anyway. You go on ahead.

The storage room is much as you left it, unlit and cluttered, a hazardous combination for non-dwarves. However, a nearby everburning lantern provides sufficient illumination. The floorboards creak as you step on them.

Brak's cell unlocks easily enough once you find the right key, but inside your heart starts when you don't see him at first. But after taking in the scene for a moment, you realize that he is indeed here.

He's hanging from a rusted and unused shackle bolted to the wall. His arms lie limp at his side, and his neck lolls at a broken angle. His face is a ghostly blue and his eyes are red at the rims and bulging. At first you can't see what exactly is keeping the dead man suspended in the air, but then you realize that he has used his own necktie to hang himself.

KIDS
2008-06-11, 07:02 PM
"Dear Host, not again. Not again." Raven hisses with angry fatalism, slamming his fist against the wall helplessly once. He tries to remember how this might have happened. Was the man bound? No, from what he recalls he hasn't, only beaten and seemingly weak. But who could have known that this would happen? "Grauff! Mr. Grauff! Over here!" he calls once through the hall they came from. Walking over cautiously, he forgets the worst impression of the dead man (which will surely settle in later) and following investigator's instinct, looks at the distance between Brak's legs and the floor. Could he have really hung himself or someone ... helped him?

PolkaBear
2008-06-12, 09:20 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

"Raven, get back here," Ibrigil hissed. "Grauff goes in first. Wonder if he'll get suspicious that people around us keep dying? I'm starting to get suspicious. At least it's obvious this time that he's been dead for a while. What a mess!"

Deepblue706
2008-06-12, 10:38 PM
As Raven collects the keys from Grauff, Puck is quick to follow. "Thanks for the drink, Bob. I owe ya." He gives the hobgoblin a wave and begins to follow his friends (if a bit clumsily).

Arriving at the scene a second after both Raven and Ibrigil, Puck has an idea of what's happened before he even sees it. "Not again." He stands still, at a distance, not daring to come closer and view the corpse.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-13, 01:14 AM
Examining the scene more closely, Raven sees that one of the stone benches has been dragged to the wall where Brak hangs and is now kicked over. Grauff doesn't respond to your call immediately, though you think you can hear some sort of stirring up above beyond the gloomy silence that you had left behind.

A closer noise now draws your attention, a door opening stealthily, but not too stealthily, since it seems that whoever is coming through it is in a hurry. You see a rectangle of daylight penetrate the darkness as the door that you had left through earlier to get to the shed opens up. Five figures in winter-camouflaged heavy coats file through and you begin to hear hushed voices. Whose there? Asks Miira, eyes wide as she turns to the commotion.

Pass me the oil.

Hold it, there's someone in here!

Kill them!

KIDS
2008-06-13, 05:15 PM
Raven stops in his tracks at Ibrigil's warning, though he still strains his elvin eyes to see the details about the hanging as best as possible. "You're right Ibrigil, I would think the same if I were him. But w... what was that?" he hisses, turning around. "Who are you? What do you want?" he calls out to the darkness, more than a bit disturbed by the voices. At very least, this is surreal, moreso from the camouflaged figures he catches a glimpse of. Thinking it would be good to take cover and feeling a knot growing in his gut, he darts to the right and crouches near a box, feeling too afraid to even breathe.

OOC:
move up, 4 squares right and 1 square down-right so I end up left of the shelf near the wall there, crouch (kneel?) and hide if possible.
, doesn't include any bonuses for distance or concealment/cover

Deepblue706
2008-06-13, 11:02 PM
Puck

"Bollocks..." mutters the scruffy bard, as he grabs his shortbow, and readies an arrow. He moves up a few feet, aiming into the darkness, ready to fire on the first foe he sees.

So long as I'm not firing into melee, I'm going to be using my bow on these chumps. Time to kick ass and take names.

Initiative: [roll0]

Whether or not I can use this depends on whether or not I can take a full-action to attack. I guess, if not, just take the first one if I have to move at all in order to get a clear shot, etc
Attacks (Rapid Shot): [roll1] [roll2]
Damage (Rapid Shot): [roll3] [roll4]

Deepblue706
2008-06-13, 11:04 PM
cont.

Hoo ha! Looks like that first one might be a fairly nice shot...let's see how that goes:

Attack to confirm crit: [roll0]
Additional critical damage: [roll1]

Edit: Nuts.

The_Snark
2008-06-15, 01:12 AM
Miira

She'd hovered reluctantly as the others moved around the common room, wanting to look for the demon elsewhere. But she didn't really want to do it by herself. It was safer in groups... and Miira knew that while she had been trained to hunt and kill altavar and their like, she wasn't all that good at it. If she had been, she probably wouldn't be here right now.

Still, she didn't see what questioning Brak again would do. It wasn't like he'd have learned anything knew in the minutes since they'd seen him. Raven's shout brings her quickly, though, with sword drawn and held half-up.

With the figures' hostile intentions clear, she raises both her sword and her shield, advancing cautiously into the gloom and keeping just ahead of the others without getting too far from them.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-15, 01:41 AM
You begin spreading out, and across the room, the heavy-coated figures do the same, two of them leveling crossbows at an empty passageway and looking carefully over it. A bright light begins spilling forth from above Ibrigil's brow, and Raven takes to the shadows, ducking behind a crate.

No one answers Raven's question. Puck is the first to break the stalemate, and his arrow strikes his foe directly in the gut. He screams and flies off his feet, falling off his back and becoming still.

KIDS
2008-06-15, 03:50 AM
Raven continues moving forward, rising from his crouch and trying not to expose himself more than it is necessary. Seeing the men attacking silently and leveling their crossbows dispells most of the doubt for him. What had they done to these people? Was it a wrong place in the wrong time, or something even more sinister related to this day's mysteries? Regardless, while thinking so he reaches the place behind another shelf, crouching down and melding into shadows there again.

OOC:
double move - should have cover and this ability to remain hidden with a (successful?) hide check of 10 for all the way. See dice roller thread for exact location. Kneel. AC = 17 + cover/concealment if any vs. ranged attacks, 13 vs. melee.

The_Snark
2008-06-17, 01:20 AM
Miira

Miira moves cautiously forwards, blade at the ready to strike if the men rushed her. "Stand down," she says, not sounding afraid of the two men. "We won't let you make trouble here."

Miira is going to move forwards four squares, and ready an action to attack the first one of them that moves within range (unless they've surrendered or something, obviously).

PolkaBear
2008-06-17, 09:08 AM
Ibrigil Mesto

"Forget it, Miira. They just charged in and said, 'kill.' If they were reasonable folks, they'd have asked questions first."

And with that comment, he stepped out into the aisleway. With a gesture, he scooped the surrounding light into his hands, and threw it at one of the attackers. It missed juuuuust a bit outside.

Aw crap. I got nuthin' in the dice-rolling thread.

Deepblue706
2008-06-17, 11:22 PM
Puck

With his shot landing true, Puck grows a bit overconfident. He continues to pull arrows from his quiver and begins to draw his string once more.

Rapid Shot (each to a seperate target)

Attacks
[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]
[roll3]

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-19, 12:06 AM
Miira steps forward with her challenge, and the figure in front of her sneers and fires a bolt at point blank. However, the shot's trajectory is slightly off and the bolt pings off of the paladin's shield. The other opponent evades Ibrigil's spell with a timely duck. On the other side of the room, a bolt buries itself into the shelf, right by Raven's head. Finally, one of the four remaining enemies steps past the first set of shelves to get a clear shot at Miira and fires, though she sees the bolt coming and dodges it.

A bolt buries itself into Puck's armor, but one of the metal studs diverts it and prevents it from reaching his flesh. He returns fire and scores a shot that glances off his foes arm, causing it to elicit a scream.

KIDS
2008-06-19, 12:23 PM
Raven winces as the bolt quivering in the wood right in front of him stops right before his face. Looking around wide-eyed and quite unused to the battlefield raging around him, he is about to peek out and attack with a bolt of magical energy when a sound of fluttering wings draws his attention to the right. Darting left and right in the darkness there is a small bat, dancing across the eerie shadows as it crosses in and out of the shadowy light spilling into the room and reflecting from its strangely glowing eyes.

The little creature is familiar to Raven only he doesn't know it at first; but in some other, magical life he dreamed about, they could have been companions or daemons to one another. And then with a start, Raven realizes that the little creature has come here to aid him, together with those he had known on his journeys. They are watching!
Instinctively, he claps his hands together and points at the attackers as they are reloading their crossbows before darting across the room and diving into cover. Suddenly there isn't just one bat but five, a dozen, a hundred and then a thousand little creatures that are flowing in from somewhere beyond. Screeches rise from the swarm as it surges forward to engulf one of the men in a mass of leathery wings.

OOC:
use Summon Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonSwarm.htm) and move 5 squares right. The summoned Bat Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm#batSwarm) appears a square or two south (down) of the attackers (10 by 10 feet) and will move to attack the nearest creature to the best of its ability.
Swarm attack: 1d6 dmg to any creatures whose space it occupies at end of its move
Fortitude DC 11 or be nauseated for 1 round
Wounding: damaged victims continue to bleed 1 hp per round until they are treated with a DC 10 heal check or healing spell
I have yet to decide in the next round whether or not to keep maintaining the concentration on the swarm.

The_Snark
2008-06-19, 01:35 PM
Miira

Ibrigil was clearly right, and Miira moves forward, raising her blade and trying to bring it into the man's shoulder with an overhand stroke. It is, unfortunately, very clumsy, and she swings a little too soon besides, missing even without the man's attempts to dodge.

PolkaBear
2008-06-19, 02:55 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

As Ibrigil frowned, the crag in his cheek twisted and pulled his right eye into a squint. He reached up reflexively and adjusted his yellow woven cap, then began casting another spell. At a muttered invocation, an invisible glow settled upon him and his companions.

Casting Bless.

Deepblue706
2008-06-20, 02:14 PM
Puck

While only narrowly avoiding harm is enough for many people to reconsider their approach, possibly to even withdraw, the bolt that is caught by Puck's armor does nothing but goad him into attacking again.

With Ibrigil's blessing aiding the party, Puck feels a little more relaxed. He promptly retrieves more arrows, continuing to unleash his volleys.

Rapid shot, not targetting anyone in melee.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-21, 04:39 PM
Puck's rapidly-fired arrows claim the life of yet another enemy. Miira starts forward, but kicks something stacked against the shelf, banging up her foot and preventing her from assuming a proper combat stance.

Meanwhile, a horde of bats appear amongst the enemies confronting Raven, enveloping them completely in a seething mass of fur and fangs. Weakly they stumble forward before their badly mutilated bodies crumple to the ground, blood swiftly pooling around them.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-21, 04:44 PM
Puck's rapidly-fired arrows claim the life of yet another enemy. Miira starts forward, but kicks something stacked against the shelf, banging up her foot and preventing her from assuming a proper combat stance.

Meanwhile, a horde of bats appear amongst the enemies confronting Raven, enveloping them completely in a seething mass of fur and fangs. Weakly they stumble forward before their badly mutilated bodies crumple to the ground, blood swiftly pooling around them.

The final figure hears the screams of his comrades and falters briefly. Damn you! he cries. You have no idea what you're dealing with, do you... Do you?! You won't take me alive! And you'll suffer all the more for this victory!

With desperate fanaticism, he pulls a short sword from behind his cloak and weaves to the side in a feint before lunging madly at Miira. Though he obviously lacks the strength for hand to hand combat, his bold attack still manages to open a bleeding wound in her wrist.

Miira takes 2 damage.

Deepblue706
2008-06-22, 07:11 PM
Puck

"Bastard!" yells the wiry bard, as he drops his bow and grabs his shillelagh. He quickly makes his way over to aid Miira against her attacker, ready to club a face in.

KIDS
2008-06-25, 09:34 AM
Raven watches as the bat swarm mutilates the two attackers with eerie fascination. At first he feels like he will faint any moment, but at the same time... does this not mean that he has the power to stop whatever is going on here, by his own magical talent or someone else's will?

Done with the pair, the swarm moves onwards like a seething cloud. Upon noticing it moving towards Miira and the other enemy, his face widens in horror. "No! Stop!" he shouts in Sylvan across the room as if the bats could understand him. But more likely they can't. Grabbing to the last straw, he closes his eyes and concentrates as if he would when casting a spell, only in the opposite direction. Just as he would focus on the energy appearing, so he envisions the swarm, the wings and teeth and everything, fading away.
....!.................
Opening his eyes, Raven notices that the swarm is gone now. The disturbed air still rustles quietly where the bats were a moment ago. Circling around the upper shelf and carefully stepping over the two dead bodies, Raven moves to see how others are doing.

end (not spend an action, basically) concentration on Summon Swarm - as per the warlock invocation, the spell ends immediately rather than in +2 rounds. double move north and then towards Miira, though not into melee

PolkaBear
2008-07-05, 08:34 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

The sneering arrogance of the attackers angered Ibrigil. He ran to Miira's aid, unhooking his weapon from his belt as he did so.

Despite the presence of the word "ran," he's only moving six squares. He'll end up in Miira's column, as far up as he can get with that movement. He'll also draw his weapon.

I would have had him charge the opponent; but there was difficult terrain in the way. Drat. He wasn't even close enough to get a healing spell to her this round. Double drat.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-05, 10:14 PM
Miira's companion's close ranks with her as she continues to trade blows with the assailant. One of her blows nearly hits him but he quickly stumbles out of the way, and in return he lunges at her, though she ably parries his blow. In another moment she counterattacks with a high swing that opens up his neck. Blood gushes from his wound as he clutches it, before dropping his sword and falling to the ground with a thud.

Deepblue706
2008-07-06, 01:49 PM
"Is that it?" Puck looks around nervously. "Is that the last of them?" He steps over the bodies of their attackers, glancing around to make sure they hadn't missed anyone.

He halts, and then takes a moment to collect himself. "W-we gotta tell Grauff - a-and those soldiers!"

KIDS
2008-07-07, 02:12 PM
"Wait!" Raven motions frantically for Puck to stop and not run from Grauff. What Ibrigil said earlier about the blame falling on them now came to his mind, thought perhaps at a wrong moment. "What now? I think we should of course tell them, but just barging in would not serve our cause very well. Maybe we can search these first - I still have no idea why they attacked like that, and they do not seem like any soldiers I have seen before..."

PolkaBear
2008-07-07, 03:24 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

"Grauff hired us because he was afraid of the hysteria that wild reports of murder would produce. Now we've been attacked twice--with deaths resulting--" he coughed and tried not to think to hard about what had just occurred "--and had another man go wild then hang himself. I begin to fear for hysteria directed toward us, from Grauff. He was already suspicious with that business in the shed. Trying to hide these bodies would only make us look guilty, though."

He shook his head. "It just makes no sense! Any of this! I'm beginning to long for the bindery."

"Well, let's see if we can find anything that identifies these guys."

Unless there are any objections, he'll 'take 20' to search the bodies. That will give him a 26 Search check. Anyone up for Aid Another?

Deepblue706
2008-07-07, 05:24 PM
Puck

"No. NO!" He yells, pointing his finger at Raven. "I'm not sticking around here. You want the rest of the inn to think we just murdered a bunch of people? No, I'm telling Grauff, right now. You just try to stop me."

With that, he turns away, just remembering the bolt that was still stuck in his padding. He plucks it out, holding it firmly in hand as he walks.

KIDS
2008-07-09, 02:40 PM
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait Puck, no one is stopping you. We aren't plotting anything sinister, we're your friends. I'll come with you," he says, moving along to catch up. Passing besides Ibrigil he shakes his head. "I'll accompany him, it's safer that way. You see what you can find out. We will be back quickly." Glancing back at where his elven perception can see the blood from two corpses mutilated by his swarm summons, he suddenly feels a bit sick and staggers, catching himself on a shelf quickly. At quick pace, he proceeds out of the room.

Deepblue706
2008-07-09, 03:46 PM
Puck

As the two walk, Puck answers Raven with a much lower tone. "I didn't say that, dammit. I just don't think its smart to stick 'round here...and..." He hushes up, but continues walking at the same brisk pace.

PolkaBear
2008-07-09, 07:14 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

Ibrigil nods silently, his attentions already beginning to be absorbed by the examination. A sense of something forgotten tugs at his mind, however, and he pauses.

"How are you, Miira? Did he hurt you? I think I might be able to heal it if it's more than a scratch."

The_Snark
2008-07-20, 06:35 PM
Miira

"It's not too bad. It's on my sword arm, though." She frowns at the cut on her wrist, partially unstrapping her shield so that she can clasp her other hand over it. "Who were these people? Can you tell?"

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-20, 09:44 PM
Now that the battle is over, even a cursory examination reveals details that were missed in the frantic battle. Though their hoods disguised their features, these men and women are obviously not human. Their grey faces are flat and featureless, and not even the women have any hair. They are changelings, the distant descendants of dopplegangers who are still able to take any form they choose.

Each of them has a white fur coat ideal for winter camouflage, as well as leather armor that has also been dyed white and a short sword. Their equipment is nondescript but of good quality and repair. It could almost be a uniform if it didn't lack any colors or insignia whatsoever.

As Puck and Raven head toward the tavern area, the door opens and Lenna, the teenage Sergeant of Breland's army steps inside, stopping before the two. She looks faintly relieved upon seeing them. Oh! There you are! I've been looking for you. What are you doing here? From where she stands, she can't see the corpses on the ground.

Deepblue706
2008-07-20, 11:58 PM
Keeping wary of his distance, Puck explains. "Actually, we were coming to find you!" He holds out the bolt in his hand. "Some people attacked us! Don't know who they are, though. They came in the room with loaded crossbows, we did what we needed to protect ourselves." He glances back the way they came. "You'd better come check it out."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-21, 01:03 AM
Lenna shakes her head. Look, I don't have time for this right now. There was an attack within the walls of this outpost. Your friend Hesiq was among the casualties. He's gravely injured. It dawns on you that she isn't listening to a word you're saying.

Finishing his search, Ibrigil finds a folded note inside one of the dead changeling's pockets. Only one of them has a backpack, the only contents of which are a few bundles of half-eaten rations and several miniature barrels.

KIDS
2008-07-21, 08:07 AM
"Attack...?" Raven gasped upon hearing the soldier's report while still trying to point to the scene behind them. "But who attacked, someone went mad again? From the inside or outside?" a lump in his throat seems bigger with every word as he thinks what might have happened to Hesiq. After a bit of pause he tries to get her attention again, wondering whether he should rush back through the hallway to see how bad Hesiq is. "We were attacked here too and... we found Brak dead as well."

Retaining a bit of his sanity amidst all this chaos, Raven stops talking and look more carefully upon the sergeant. Does she look like she was involved in a battle?

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-21, 01:04 PM
Lenna looks deeply troubled. No. It's different this time. Grauff and Hesiq were the victims. They're both unconscious and nobody else saw what happened. Her eyes suddenly flash with alertness. You say you were attacked too? Did you get a glimpse of your assailant?

PolkaBear
2008-07-21, 01:05 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

Ibrigil pocketed the note and rubbed the prominent bridge of his nose. "Let me at least bind it up for you, then. Tightly bound, it shouldn't trouble you when you swing. Just let me know if it still causes a problem, though. I don't know much healing magic, but I'll use what I have if you need it." He found something on a shelf that looked like it serve as a bandage and quickly went to work.

[roll0]

Deepblue706
2008-07-21, 01:42 PM
Puck shakes his head. "Not really - they were concealing their faces. I didn't bother checking it out, thought we should grab you as soon as we could. Figured their identity wasn't as important as reporting the matter." He answers hastily, so that he can quickly move back to what happened to the others. "What happened to Grauff and Hesiq? They gonna be alright?"

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-21, 01:54 PM
Lenna is silent for several moments. Grauff... might live. Dwarves are built to last. But Hesiq... the staff has done all they can to treat his wounds, but there isn't a healer in the building. The injuries themselves seem superficial, but they're both unconscious with a high fever and Hesiq.... his wounds have already begun to fester. Some of my men are veterans of the last war. They've never seen anything like it but... he's not going to live.

KIDS
2008-07-21, 04:43 PM
Nobody saw what happened!!! Raven wanted to smash his fist into the wall upon hearing that, though whether out of desperation or anger he was unsure. But they had to act quickly. "Festering wounds... I ... I don't know. It could be poison. Maybe Ibrigil can still help. Come inside for a moment, maybe you can recognize something about our attackers that we missed," he motioned for Lenna to enter the storeroom briefly before heading off to Ibrigil and Miira.

Despite his outwardly calm face, his heart was beating frantically as he interpreted all the information. Could they still save Hesiq. "Lenna tells us that Grauff and Hesiq were almost killed in an attack of some kind. She hasn't seen anything but Hesiq is dying... from festering wounds. Come, if we are quick maybe we can still save him," Raven spoke to his friend lightly and in almost a whisper but with unfeigned urgency.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-21, 04:49 PM
Lenna raises a brow over at Puck as Raven runs off. She doesn't move from the doorway. Wait, they're here? He just told me that you didn't get a good look at them before they escaped. She looks past Puck and draws her sword.

Deepblue706
2008-07-21, 04:54 PM
"I...never said they escaped. We defended ourselves." He hesitates. "Their bodies are in the other room. The others are trying to look for clues as to who they are, I think."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-21, 05:09 PM
Lenna glances past Puck and frowns darkly. Looking over her shoulder, she puts her free hand to her lips and whistles. Soon a handful of soldiers file into the room. One of them grabs a lamp and the rest brandish their swords. There was another attack, she says to her men. Spread out. Make sure there aren't any hostiles left and investigate. Only then does she enter the room, approaching Miira. Get your friends out of the way, go see Hesiq. Two of the soldiers pause to gape at the bloody hunks of meat that are all that remains of the two assailants devoured by Raven's bats. F-ck. You boys don't mess around, do you?

The_Snark
2008-07-22, 03:15 AM
Mirra

Miira thanks Ibrigil; the faces of one of the dead men catches her eye as he examines them. Not the face she saw while fighting, but grey and less formed than a human face. Her breath catches. "They're all changelings," she says, half to herself.

It takes her a moment to hear what the sergeant says, and then she nods and heads back towards the common rooms, looking downcast, to find where Hesiq and Grauff are being cared for.

KIDS
2008-07-23, 11:59 AM
"I don't know. I was afraid," Raven offers a mediocre explanation as he looks at the unfortunate pair of mutilated attackers. He is about to shrug complacently and leave in the same direction as Miira when he interprets the quiet remark. "What! How can that be?" Raven is rather staggered by the information and looks at the other two with widening eyes. Were they just clever bandits, someone possessed by demons haunting this place, or something even more sinister?
Thinking about all of that, he quickly hurries after her as bidden, looking at Lenna as he walks by. "You're right. We should keep in pairs of two at least, this place is becoming more unsafe by the minute."

Deepblue706
2008-07-23, 05:20 PM
"C'mon." Puck says, a hint of fear in his voice. "We should check in on Hesiq. I'm sure...he'd like to be around slightly more familiar faces."

PolkaBear
2008-07-24, 10:20 AM
Ibrigil Mesto

Ibrigil nodded to Lenna as she approached the bodies. "As if this whole thing weren't crazy enough. Now we have reason to doubt our own senses. Who knows when one of their allies would take the form of...Dolly, or even the sergeant here." He spoke half to himself and half to the others.

"Their clothing is matched like uniforms, but I don't find any insignia or badges. It's perfectly set up for this snowy weather, though."

"With the gear, the purposeful entry, and the immediate attack--they didn't ask any questions!--it's obviously something coordinated and preplanned. Who would plan an assault on an inn like this? Why would they be so afraid of anyone knowing they're here that they'd attack like that?"

He opened the pack and looked inside, shaking his head at the strangeness of it all.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-24, 03:38 PM
As you make your way up to the room where you were told the wounded are being kept, you see that without Grauff, the situation has degenerated already. The guests are no longer confined to their rooms, instead they're clustered about in small groups, murmuring and casting suspicious glances at others. You hear the shouts of a nobleman before you see him, he's in the common room yelling unreasonable demands at a pair of flustered workers.

Grauff and Hesiq are being kept in separate beds in an expansive suite, their wounds rather hastily bandaged. Unconscious and with his muscular bulk seeming strangely diminished, Grauff still looks relatively stable. Hesiq is a different story. Bandages cover his chest, but though they couldn't have been on him for half of an hour, they're already wet with some repulsive fluid. From beneath the bandages a green rot pokes out. It could be your imagination, but you almost think you can see it slowly spreading before your eyes.

Deepblue706
2008-07-25, 01:28 AM
Puck stands about a meter away from Hesiq, gazing at his wounds. He looks upon him silently, frozen, unable to look away. There was a quiet panic in his eyes.

"What...could have done this?" he asks, obviously horrified.

KIDS
2008-07-27, 01:11 PM
"Oh gods..." Raven lowers his head in dismay, unable to look at the oozing wounds for more than a few moments. Looking sideways as much as he can manage he walks forward to kneel by their friend's bedside. "Hesiq! Hesiq! Who did this to you?" he whispers urgently. With a look of despair albeit supressing tears, he looks to Ibrigil. "Can you do something for him?"

PolkaBear
2008-07-28, 07:26 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

The sight of Hesiq's injury clearly bothered the young man. He swallowed hard and stammered, "I--I don't think there's anything I could do. The rapidity with which it progressed to this stage leads me to think it has an unnatural source. If I had some way to draw out the disease, or to excise the fouled tissue, or to..." He trailed off, clearly bothered by his inadequacy.

"I don't think it will work, but I can see if it responds to the simplest of healing magics." His invocation was brief and resulted in only the barest shimmer in the air between his hand and Hesiq--but no other visible effect.

Spontaneously casting Cure Minor Wounds in place of Light
He shook his head silently as one hand rubbed at his cheek. The gesture pulled at his own injury and elicited a sharp intake of breath. Again he invoked the divine energies that grant healing. His gestures formed a holy sigil, which seemed to linger faintly in the air.

Casting [roll0] HP healed.
The wound closed.

The_Snark
2008-07-29, 02:32 AM
Miira

Miira inhales sharply as she sees Hesiq's state, then forces herself to exhale slowly to calm herself, closing her eyes as she does. She begins speaking to herself in her native tongue, something with the sound of litany or prayer to it.

Deepblue706
2008-07-31, 08:45 PM
Despite being a bit nervous about it, Puck steps a bit closer. "H-Hesiq?"

PolkaBear
2008-08-02, 05:16 PM
Ibrigil Mesto

"I don't think he can hear you, Puck," Ibrigil said gently.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-08-04, 06:23 PM
Hesiq's eyes flutter open. His face is as pale as death, and a pinkish milky fluid has coalesced around his eyes. His eyes land on Puck and a faint smile appears on his face as his gaze drifts to Raven and then Ibrigil. Dragonmark... he rasps, and then dies.

The room is silent. Lenna appears in the doorway and crosses her arms.

Deepblue706
2008-08-05, 01:49 AM
Puck stands silently, not really paying much heed to what Hesiq said - but instead dwelling on the fact that he witnessed another person dying before his eyes. He looks lifelessly at the body, now completely drained of any spirits he had prior to the first of the incidents. His breathing is slow, his eyes don't blink.

"H...he's...good lord."

He turns away, and stares at the ground beneath him.

Deepblue706
2008-08-11, 09:35 PM
After enough silence, Puck begins to walk for the exit, stopping at Lenna. "Just what happened here?"

The_Snark
2008-08-12, 01:22 AM
Miira

"You must know something," Miira adds, breaking her prayer and looking up at Lenna. Her voice is pleading rather than really expecting to be told anything, like a child hoping to be told everything can be made all right.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-08-12, 02:41 AM
Lenna raises a brow and holds up both of her hands. I told you already, there weren't any witnesses. Nobody knows what happened to either of them. The young woman puts her hand to her side and steps over to the bed, drawing a blanket over Hesiq's face before moving over to Grauff to check on the unconscious dwarf. All I can tell is, something bizarre is going on. It's funny though... misfortune seems to hound the four of you at every turn. And it hardly seems fair that the rest of us should have to suffer for it. Have you considered leaving this place?

The_Snark
2008-08-12, 04:07 AM
Miira

Miira looks worried. "Do you think we should? I didn't think if it was to do with us... but the crash, and the snow outside, which-" She starts stumbling over her words in her concern, and checks herself, taking a moment to gather her thoughts. When she continues, she's careful to speak as clearly as she can. "Do you think that it would help here, if we leave?"

Deepblue706
2008-08-12, 02:45 PM
Puck's eyes shoot up once Lenna suggests leaving. "What the hell are you saying! We're not responsible - call off your witch hunt, and try to open your eyes!" Upset, he storms out of the room. "Dumb, ignorant bitch..." He makes no attempt to speak too low for her to hear as he enters the hall again.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-08-12, 03:01 PM
Lenna scowls and fingers the hilt of her sword, but thinks better of it. Can't, she says softly after Puck leaves. Not until I've found the witch. With a dark expression on her face, she leaves as well, heading downstairs.

KIDS
2008-08-13, 03:31 PM
"No. It's not funny at all," Raven responds grimly, shaking his head. Inwardly, he is shaken by the thought and Hesiq's last words... waiting until Lenna disappears, he furls up his right sleeve to reveal his thunderbolt tattoo on the forearm and the dragonmark snaking upwards to the shoulder. It is dark green in color, like vines wrapped around the skin tightly. "I cannot imagine that Hesiq meant this. This... this thing has been irrelevant to most of my life. And yet... maybe we really should leave."

Raven is resolved not to leave just yet, but the seed of doubt has been planted and is now growing restlessly. "It's all bad luck, terrible luck. We need to give our friend a proper burial," he nearly chokes upon saying the word 'burial', "and then keep Grauff safe. He might tell us what happened." Thus he will do, proposing to bury Hesiq out in the snowy earth where he will be safe from scavengers and whatever haunts this place.

While keeping watch over the unconscious dwarf, a strong suspicion grabs hold of him. He carefully examines his chest, back and arms, looking for anything resembling a dragonmark like his own. Could this misfortune be more than just theirs?

OOC:
as far as Raven goes, ready to fast-forward a bit

Deepblue706
2008-08-17, 11:33 PM
Once Puck leaves the room, he doesn't really know where he's going. After loitering around for a while, the first deliberate course of action he takes is to head to the bar. Although he guesses there still won't be anyone to serve him drinks, his buddy "Bob" might still be around. Hopefully.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-08-18, 04:51 PM
Raven looks over Grauff's body, but doesn't find any dragonmark.

Entering the serving area, Puck finds the hobgoblin where he left him, though he is no longer drinking and he sits with his back to the wall, frowning.

Slowly wandering the tavern, Miira finds nothing at first. A moment later however she senses a foul presence nearby. Just as her mind is able to fix upon the location, she feels it drifting upward until it disappears.

Deepblue706
2008-08-20, 01:34 PM
Trying to distract himself from Hesiq's death, Puck greets his hobgoblin friend. "Hey pal." he takes a seat nearby. "Holding up alright?"

EvilRoeSlade
2008-08-20, 01:45 PM
The mercenary gives Puck a hardened glare and then softens his stare. He waves a hand uncaringly. Shrik trla gnaf gorg il-il.

The_Snark
2008-08-20, 02:07 PM
Miira

She tenses slightly as the presence makes itself known, then heads for the stairs at a fast walk, hoping to be able to follow it to wherever it was going. Upstairs? Is it heading for somebody upstairs?

EvilRoeSlade
2008-08-20, 02:26 PM
Upstairs, Miira finds nothing out of the ordinary. Some of the patrons are gathering in crowds, muttering amongst themselves. Trapped like rats... where's the owner... someone ought to do something...

Deepblue706
2008-08-21, 12:23 AM
"Tell me about it." replies a weary Puck, who returns a similar wave. He was doing his best to keep some semblance of composure, but he was beginning to break down. It's obvious he's upset to just about anyone else who gives him well-enough a look. Trying not to lose-it, Puck sits quietly, trying not to make eye-contact with anyone. He instead studies the nearest wall.

KIDS
2008-08-22, 04:30 AM
Raven is at the same time disappointed and relieved at finding no Dragonmark at Grauff. It was just a hunch anyway. And should they bury Hesiq? As far as he knew, they didn't even bury the poor flayed victim upstairs. It was likely still there, raw bones and flesh staring at intruders like a statue of some wrongfully accused, vengeful deity. At this time he just couldn't remember. "Ibrigil? Shouldn't we give Hesiq a funeral?" he asks tentatively. Both options seemed wrong, however if Ibrigil did not seem to hear him, he intended to ask the same of Miira.

OOC:
Raven would like to (if he gets some help) bury Hesiq somewhere outside where he/they can say their prayers, and then continue watching over Grauff through the day and sleeping in the same room over the night. Just saying in case you want to forward to the other day as you mentioned.

Deepblue706
2008-08-26, 04:13 PM
Disgusted with his situation, Puck began to grow visibly upset. "I have to go take care of something." He says to his hobgoblin buddy as he stands up. "I'll see you later."

He begins to make his way to where the party had been attacked earlier. Perhaps the soldiers had found something.

The_Snark
2008-08-26, 04:17 PM
Miira

She catches her breath, looking around and realizing she'd let her concentration slip. Breathing deeply, trying not to hear the mutters of those around her, she slips back into her seeing-state, casting about slowly and making sure to look upwards.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-08-27, 11:57 PM
Miira looks around for the rest of the evening but can't find the evil presence again. It's as if whatever haunts the Well Run Dry is aware of her now and hides, waiting for an opportunity to strike.

A pair of soldiers come into the room to drag Hesiq's body away. We're packing him in the stables with all the other bodies. You can take him off to bury him properly once the crews arrive and melt the snow on the roads. None of the other dead have been properly disposed of yet, so just be patient. This one won't be treated differently than any of the others.

The building is well insulated but nonetheless, the night is chilly and sleeping is difficult. In the darkness, shadows play at the corner of your eyes, and every creak of the wooden planks becomes the footsteps of a lurking killer.

However, the silence of night gives way to the bustling of dawn. You hear voices and many sets of footsteps making their way downstairs, and soon there is a knock on the door and a familiar girlish voice. Eh, misters and mistresses? Master Grauff's up'n walkin' again, and he wants everyone ta come gather in the dinin' room.

Deepblue706
2008-08-28, 12:47 AM
Not really minding his appearance, Puck is ready to leave the room immediately. He had still be wearing the same clothes as the previous day, and never bothered taking them off.

The_Snark
2008-08-28, 05:09 PM
Miira

The night is unsettling to Miira—more so than usual. She lies awake awhile, imagining every movement of the shadows to be that unseen presence, seeping through the ceiling to take her or one of the others. It's only the tricks the eyes play at night, of course, but even realizing that doesn't stop her from lying awake and wondering. And when she does sleep, her dreams are turbulent, unsettling, as they so often are. Unformed thoughts, wandering guilt (her hand striking down a half-orc boy, striking down Grauff, Hesiq lying on the floor), and half-formed nightmares, which thankfully fade from memory, leaving nothing but uneasiness.

She misses being able to sleep well.

It makes sense, with all that, that she is not awake when the knock comes, but she's still chagrined that she slept too long. She changes from her thick nightgown into her day clothes rapidly, bucking her sword to her belt, and rushes out the door, hurrying down to the dining room.

KIDS
2008-08-29, 01:04 PM
Raven awakes with almost a blank memory. It takes him awhile to recall where he is and what happened yesterday, let alone whether it's good or bad. Finally he sits up, rubbing at his eyes and trying to drive away the tiredness. He notices that he had collapsed on the bed the last night, in the same clothes without taking anything off, and had slept like that in a stupor. Normally he would be disturbed but as he slowly analyzes the last day's events, the bleary-eyed youth has other concerns. "Dolly, is that you? I'll be coming right away... just one minute."

Raven searches around for a pot of cold water and for a moment, is shocked by how different his face seems. There is not a hint of the smile it used to carry easily, its place surrendered to something blank and inert. He tries to recover it but the expression comes out as a stupid, blinking grin. Finally taking a deep breath, he splashes himself with cold water and manages to wake out of the surreal stupor. He will meet others outside and proceed to meet Grauff.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-09-09, 10:14 PM
Sooner or later, all the remaining residents of the trade post gather in the dining hall. Everyone visibly nervous and there are suspicious murmurs everywhere. Some of the guests and staff whisper that there were several other murders in the night, though this seems to be based mostly on hearsay. However, it seems as if you noticed a few more bloodstains on your way here.

Lastly, Lenna and her men arrive, grim and determined, accompanied by Grauff, who looks to have recovered remarkably well, though he isn't back in the scale armor that he had been trudging about in before.

He places his large fists on the table and glares about the room. Those of ye that know me, know I'm not one for wastin' breath. So I'll get this over with quickly. A beast's been stalkin' us, killin' us. But that ends now. When it attacked me, I got a good look at it. I recognized it's nature, and I know what it is and where it hides. So you're all going to wait here, while it's safe, while those of us who have the power to stop this will. At the ensuing uproar, the dwarf bangs his fist on the wooden surface. QUIET! I told ye that this is gonna be over soon! At his gesture, several of his employees begin laying out mugs of ale and bottles of wine on the table. While we fix this mess, drinks are on me. Enjoy.

The dwarf gestures to all of you and trudges into the kitchen, Lenna and her soldiers following.

Deepblue706
2008-09-10, 12:42 AM
Puck, with an uneasy glance to Miira and Raven, hesitates a moment before following the others as Grauff makes his way into the kitchen. "Gods...I am not ready for more of this..." he mutters in frustration.

The_Snark
2008-09-10, 12:47 AM
Miira

Miira follows, a tense eagerness filling her step as she files into the room after Grauff. "You actually saw it?" she asks the dwarf. "Where is it?"

KIDS
2008-09-11, 06:46 AM
Raven first stands with his mouth agape at the dwarf's bold words, then leans closer to Miira as he leaves to the kitchen. "You said you can sense evil spirits?" he discreetly points at the dwarf's back, while whispering. "See anything strange about him?" While Raven would be delighted to have this danger finally removed and intends to use the last shred of his magical power to assist the effort, it seems somehow.... too easy. The thought ties his stomach into an uneasy knot.

The_Snark
2008-09-15, 01:14 PM
Miira

Miira is taken aback at the idea, but she follows Raven's suggestion, focusing her vision on Grauff.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-09-15, 01:29 PM
As Miira calls upon her holy gift, she does detect the presence of evil. However, as always, it takes time to pinpoint the source of the taint, and by the time she does, Grauff has left the bar area, slamming. She sees that the aura is coming from his direction and growing fainter, making it likely that he was the source.

Lenna is speaking now, to Miira. He says it's you. Drop your weapons and surrender, and we can finish all of this quietly. Lenna has a wand out, and all of the soldiers have drawn their swords.

The_Snark
2008-09-15, 01:45 PM
Miira

She hadn't actually expected to find anything, and she stares after Grauff in surprise. It takes her a moment to refocus on the soldiers, who are all armed. "He's lying," she says quietly, sad. They hadn't managed to drive the spirit away from anyone without killing them. She doesn't make any move towards her weapon, either to draw it or to drop it. "It's gotten to him."

KIDS
2008-09-17, 03:03 PM
"What?" The shock that Raven faced right now was so great that his surprised question came out as more of a normal sentence, blank in its daze. "Lenna, don't do this," he says pleadingly. "We haven't done anything. Something is wrong with him. Don't do this." Raven's hands were away from his dagger - a puny weapon in his hands anyway - though as his neck hairs tingled with danger, a finger of his right hand twitched almost imperceptibly, as if tightening on an invisible crossbow trigger.

OOC:
[roll0]

Deepblue706
2008-09-17, 03:09 PM
Puck takes a step to the side. "Miira?!" He looks to her, and then Lenna. "What makes you think it's her?? What's your proof; the dwarf's word?!" His fist is clenched, although he keeps himself from reaching for his club. He wasn't very good with it, anyway.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-09-18, 07:57 PM
Her? No, not her. All of you. I knew something didn't add up from the beginning. I was willing to accept the possibility that whatever you were up to didn't have anything to do with the murders, but the moment Grauff said it was you who attacked him, I knew it was true. Lenna waves her wand. If all you have to show me are words, then you're wasting your breath! Disarm yourselves now!

Deepblue706
2008-09-18, 11:30 PM
It was getting a little too intense. Puck was starting to lose it. He didn't know what else to do at this point. "What's wrong with you, Lenna?!" He shouts in anger, staring deep into her eyes. "That's stupid, and you're just afraid! So afraid that you need a scapegoat! You want someone to blame!?" He glances back to Miira for a moment, a dour expression on his face. He quickly whirls back to Lenna. "Fine! I'm your man! I'm the one responsible for everything! I am the devil in the shadows, and I am walking death! I am evil incarnate! But they," He points back to Raven and Miira, "they're innocent!" He hesitates a moment. "They're weak! They are miserable! What I have done was by my own accord - do not taint my glory by associating them with my successes! Come now, I'm your man!" He looks ready to fight, although he doesn't reach for his club.

Bluff: [roll0]

KIDS
2008-09-20, 08:31 AM
"What in the nine hells!" Raven shouts, taking a step away. "That makes no sense! We were right there in the storeroom, on the other side of the building! How could we have possibly..." he leaves the unsaid hanging in the air. They really were on the other side of the building, several hallways and rooms away, and even though suspiciously (from a soldier's perspective) involved in a shady battle with intruders, but they were doubtlessly the furthest from anything involving Grauff. Raven doesn't know what else he can add against those charges but he does know that if they are attacked, he will sell his skin dearly. He makes no move to disarm himself, though it's obvious that the dagger at his belt isn't much of a threat anyway. He might be just forgetting about it.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-09-24, 12:36 AM
Lenna grits her teeth. Stop this foolishness! I know that you didn't attack the dwarf personally, but clearly you've got someone or something carrying out these deeds for you. It makes sense. You're the only ones that don't fit in. There's something off about you. Furthermore, my briefing indicated that we were to investigate the possibility of sabotage in regards to the airship. And I still think it's convenient that you all happened to miraculously survive and make it here. She twitches nervously and gives you an almost pleading look. I want you to... to quit stalling already!

Deepblue706
2008-09-24, 01:03 AM
While taking note of the word "sabotage", Puck doesn't comment on it. "Quit grasping for straws and get a hold of yourself! You're making connections that don't exist, because you're losing your nerve and can't find another way to keep yourself calm." His voice grows louder as he continues. "Someone or something? You don't even have an idea of what's even happening, yet you think that's good enough!? Wake up!"

The_Snark
2008-09-24, 02:58 AM
Miira

"Why would we sabotage our own airship?" Miira asks in evident confusion, before shaking her head. She was letting herself get off course. "Sergeant Haryl, I do know a little about what's going on, and it isn't us. My training dealt with this," though clearly I did not learn enough, "and I have a way to sense the taint of altavar—I think you would call them evil spirits in your language. I am sure there is one of them here, and that it is making people do these things."

KIDS
2008-09-26, 06:55 AM
Raven raises his open hand slowly as Puck yells. That is not going to get them out of here. "We just don't want to fight you or be detained by you while you are so convinced that we did... whatever it is that you think we did," Raven throws Lenna the exact mimicry of her pleading look. His fingers are still twitched on an invisible trigger as he adds even more softly: "It isn't us."

For a moment an idea occurs to him. If this evil spirit, materializing or posessing others at its whim, could only be lured to somewhere... if perhaps it could become plain for everyone to see and then be destroyed in a trap of some kind... the thought lingers alluringly in Raven's mind. So dangerous and yet so tempting..."Look, listen - Lenna, what can I do to convince you that it wasn't us?"