PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Zed's Dead, Baby (Monk subclass)

Bhu
2023-07-29, 10:19 PM
ZOMBIE
At some point your adventuring crew raided the lab of a Screwball Mage that was experimenting on the Undead. One of which bit you. You've felt a little...different since. Stiff. Aches and pains. A pychopathic urge to hold people down and bite their heads. In short, you think you're becoming a zombie. You now adventure looking for a cure, and trying to use your newfound abilities to fight evil and eat it's br...er, bring it to justice. Yes. Justice. People will believe that. Holy crap, did I say that out loud?

THE STIFFENING
At 3rd Level, your Martial Arts die increases to 1d6. It increases again, to 1d8 at 6th Level, 1d10 at 11th Level, and 1d12 at 17th Level. You don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe. If damage reduces you to 0 hit points, you must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5+the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, you drop to 1 hit point instead.

ARGH!
At 3rd Level, you may cast Feign Death on yourself as a Reaction without using a spell slot or material components. You may do this once per short rest.

NEGATIVE SOUL
At 6th Level, you learn maneuvers that are fueled by special dice called Necrotic dice.

Maneuvers. You learn three maneuvers of your choice. Many maneuvers enhance an attack, or your defense, in some way. You can use only one maneuver per attack (and a few are Reactions only). You learn two additional maneuvers of your choice at 11th, and 17th level. Each time you learn new maneuvers, you can also replace one maneuver you know with a different one

Necrotic Dice. You have four Necrotic Dice, which are d8s. A Necrotic die is expended when you use it. You regain all of your expended Necrotic dice when you finish a short or long rest. You gain another Necrotic die at 11th level and one more at 17th level. At 11th Level your Necrotic Dice are now d10's. At Level 17 they become d12's.

Saving Throws. Some of your maneuvers require your target to make a saving throw to resist the maneuver's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows: 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier.

Death's Armor: If you have acquired a Condition due to a failed Saving Throw, you may expend one Necrotic die as a Reaction to re-roll the Save, adding the Necrotic die to the roll.

Grab: Immediately after you hit a creature with an Unarmed Strike or Bite on your turn, you can expend one superiority die and then try to grapple the target as a bonus action (see the Player's Handbook for rules on grappling). Add the superiority die to your Grapple attempt (substitute your Wisdom modifier in place of Strength for your Athletics Check.

Life Drain (Prerequisite: 11th Level): Whenever you successfully hit with your Unarmed Strike or Bite, you may add a Necrotic Die to the attack and damage rolls (the die does Necrotic damage). The target’s hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and you regain hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.

Overwhelm: When you hit a creature with an Unarmed Strike or Bite, you can expend one superiority die, giving your allies an opening to swarm in. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll. The next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.

Rise From the Grave (Prerequisite: 17th Level): If you are destroyed, but your brain is still intact, you may expend a Necrotic die as a Reaction. You arise with a new body and full hit points 1 Minute later. Your new body rises from the square in which your brain resides. You may only use this maneuver once per week.

Rotting Fist: Whenever you successfully hit with your Unarmed Strike or Bite, you may add a Necrotic Die to the attack and damage rolls (the die does Necrotic damage).

Terror: When you hit a creature with your Unarmed Strike or Bite, you can expend one Necrotic die to attempt to frighten the target. You add the Necrotic die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Undead Fortitude (Prerequisite: 11th Level): When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you may expend one Necrotic die as a Reaction, and regain that many hit points.

Undead Strength: Whenever you are required to make an ability Check or Saving Throw based on Strength or Constitution, you may expend one Necrotic Die, and use your Wisdom modifier in place of Strength or Constitution.

Unfeeling: When you take damage, you may expend a Necrotic die as a Reaction. The damage from that attack is halved.

Zombification (Prerequisite: 17th Level): If you bring a Humanoid creature to 0 hit points, you may expend a Necrotic Die. The humanoid rises as a Kung Fu Zombie under your control (you may only have one zombie at a time). The Zombie is friendly to you and your companions (while you are present) and obeys your commands. See this creature's game statistics in the Kung Fu Zombie stat block, which uses your proficiency bonus (PB) in several places.

In combat, the Zombie shares your initiative count, but it takes its turn immediately after yours. The only action it takes on its turn is the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. If you are incapacitated, the Zombie can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Kung-Fu Zombie
Medium Undead
Armor Class: 13 + PB (natural armor)
Hit Points: 15 + five times your monk level
Speed: 40 ft.
Str: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int: 5
Wis: 16
Cha: 6
Damage Immunities: poison
Condition Immunities: poisoned
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive perception 12
Languages: understands the languages you speak
Proficiency Bonus: equals your proficiency bonus
Abilities:
Undead Fortitude. If damage reduces the zombie to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the zombie drops to 1 hit point instead.
Undead Cunning. The Zombie can take the Dodge, Disengage or Dash Actions as a Bonus Action.
Skill Proficiencies. The Zombie gains your PB on the following skill checks: Strength (Athletics), and Dexterity (Acrobatics, Stealth).
Blood Frenzy. The zombie has Advantage on it's attack rolls against any creature that doesn't have all it's hit points.
Actions:
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: your melee attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d6+ PB) magical bludgeoning damage, and the target is Grappled (Escape DC 10 plus your PB).
Bonus Actions:
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: your melee attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d6+ PB) magical piercing damage, plus 2d4 necrotic damage. May only be used as a Bonus Action against a Grappled creature.

ZOMBIE FU
At 11th Level, whenever you attack an opponent who isn't at full hit points, you attack with Advantage..

BITE
Beginning at 17th level, you gain a Bite attack with a range of 5 feet, that uses Wisdom for attack and damage rolls. The Bite does 1d6 + Wisdom modifier Piercing damage, plus an additional 3d6 Necrotic damage, and if you score a critical, you regain the use of one Necrotic Die or 4 Ki Points. If you reduce your opponent to 0 hit points, you gain visions of it's life. You can learn details on it's life as though you had cast Legend Lore on it. Your Type now becomes Undead.

Altair_the_Vexed
2023-07-30, 05:56 AM
I like it!

Couple of corrections you probably ought to make: -

Really need a comma in that thread title - otherwise it just sounds grim!
Zombie Fu says "At 1th level" - must be a typo.

And one suggestion:

Zombification - the maximum of 1 KFZ at a time seems a bit low. Maybe it should be related to a mental ability score, with a minimum of 1 - e.g. WIS adjustment, minimum 1?

sengmeng
2023-07-30, 12:25 PM
It's interesting, mechanically and thematically, though I'm not so sure if they mesh completely (although I really don't know how I'd stat out a monk subclass reflecting partially succumbing to undeath myself).

One clarification: what does zombie fu actually do? Monks can already make a bonus action attack when they use their action to attack, does it mean they can make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action when they have advantage? It might be better to have it be like the samurai rapid strike, which is once per turn, an attack made with advantage can be resolved as two attacks that don't have advantage instead.

Bhu
2023-07-30, 07:41 PM
It's interesting, mechanically and thematically, though I'm not so sure if they mesh completely (although I really don't know how I'd stat out a monk subclass reflecting partially succumbing to undeath myself).

One clarification: what does zombie fu actually do? Monks can already make a bonus action attack when they use their action to attack, does it mean they can make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action when they have advantage? It might be better to have it be like the samurai rapid strike, which is once per turn, an attack made with advantage can be resolved as two attacks that don't have advantage instead.

I have altered it somewhat. And it feels more zombie-ish.

Bhu
2023-07-30, 07:44 PM
I like it!

Couple of corrections you probably ought to make: -

Really need a comma in that thread title - otherwise it just sounds grim!
Zombie Fu says "At 1th level" - must be a typo.

And one suggestion:

Zombification - the maximum of 1 KFZ at a time seems a bit low. Maybe it should be related to a mental ability score, with a minimum of 1 - e.g. WIS adjustment, minimum 1?

I has fized! I made it one zombie, because it was CR 6. Which seemed level appropriate. THe max you could normally summon at that level via spell is CR 5.

Bhu
2023-08-05, 08:49 PM
I have altered the Kung Fu Zombie.