PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow a plasmoid to carry items inside themselves?

Rukelnikov
2023-07-30, 06:06 PM
I'm thinking about building a plasmoid, and really IMO to make the most of them you gotta go naked, amorphous is the most interesting trait for me, shape self also being very interesting but not as gamechanging. And I was thinking I could make use of Leomund's Secret Chest, I can picture a tiny chest replica that's smaller than an inch a side, but of course I don't wanna be carrying that in my hand and I don't really wanna wear a necklace either, it doesn't mesh with the look and its an obvious target, so, could I have it floating inside me a la gelatinous cube? How would you rule that?

I know I'd allow it, and my GM would likely allow it too, but I'm curious whether fellow playgrounders would also allow this.

Mastikator
2023-07-30, 07:55 PM
Yes, I would. Such a weird race :smallbiggrin:

GooeyChewie
2023-07-30, 09:09 PM
How would you rule that?

I would allow it and rule that it is mechanically identical to having the chest in your backpack. As long as you are not actively trying to exploit it, I love allowing players to describe these types of quirks that make their characters a bit more unique.

Kane0
2023-07-30, 10:18 PM
Id be fine with is as long as the thing youre storing is acid resistant

Sigreid
2023-07-30, 11:18 PM
Sort of. I'd allow you to form a pocket you put it in, but I wouldn't let it go past the membrane into the internal guts of the plasmoid.

Millstone85
2023-07-31, 05:51 AM
It could be that you are holding the replica in your pseudopod and keeping both tightly against your body.

tKUUNK
2023-07-31, 12:06 PM
yeah, totally fine. It exactly suits the flavor of the race.

Theodoxus
2023-07-31, 12:42 PM
I get why you want a 1"x1"x1" LSC, but I think that's overthinking it a little. 1) what happens when you find exactly a 1 inch square hole to go through? Your plasma will rub off the cube, leaving it behind (presuming this was a laser cut perfectly measured hole, of course) but 2) silly exactitude beside, most medieval style fixtures just aren't that exact... how often do you think you'll find a gap that's less than two or three inches tall? (Meaning, your LSC could be a bit larger, or oddly shaped with little issue.)

Outside of that, I presume you're playing a Wizard... or are you playing a Monk and carrying the Wizard's LSC replica for them? If a Wizard, where's your focus? Are you going to use a tiny 1" marble as an orb? Or have a teeny tiny component pouch?

There's other... issues... to overcome prior to getting to how/where your LSC is contained.

animewatcha
2023-07-31, 01:20 PM
Part of this depends. Is the Plasmoid gonna be an artificer that reshapes his body to have a gluteus maximus? And pulling things out of there? Solving puzzles/encounters by pulling stuff outta his ass?

Rukelnikov
2023-07-31, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I would allow it and rule that it is mechanically identical to having the chest in your backpack. As long as you are not actively trying to exploit it, I love allowing players to describe these types of quirks that make their characters a bit more unique.

I think that'd be fine, ruling it as your backpack.

Id be fine with is as long as the thing youre storing is acid resistant

I like this, it could be combined with GC's idea and stuff that goes into your "backpack" gets dissolved unless its resistant or immune to acid.

I get why you want a 1"x1"x1" LSC, but I think that's overthinking it a little. 1) what happens when you find exactly a 1 inch square hole to go through? Your plasma will rub off the cube, leaving it behind (presuming this was a laser cut perfectly measured hole, of course) but 2) silly exactitude beside, most medieval style fixtures just aren't that exact... how often do you think you'll find a gap that's less than two or three inches tall? (Meaning, your LSC could be a bit larger, or oddly shaped with little issue.)

Outside of that, I presume you're playing a Wizard... or are you playing a Monk and carrying the Wizard's LSC replica for them? If a Wizard, where's your focus? Are you going to use a tiny 1" marble as an orb? Or have a teeny tiny component pouch?

There's other... issues... to overcome prior to getting to how/where your LSC is contained.

Well, the idea of smaller than 1 inch a side is because that the smallest you can squeeze through, so if its smaller than that it can go wherever I go. Regarding the Focus, there's a couple ways to circumvent it, but I wouldn't mind playing without a focus, or just putting one inside LSC once I get that, and take it out when necessary.

How to get LSC... well of course that'd depend on the build, Wizard is currently low on the list of ideas (though Conjurer is interesting for its lvl 2), but if I was one I could just pick it. If I were a Lock for instance, I'd propose a invocation that allows me to cast it once per day using a pact slot, and if that doesn't fly I'd just take the Orzhov background and save myself an invocation.

The main Idea I'm trying to make work for now would be an Armorer Pact of the Blade. Infuse the Thunder Gauntlets, so they are magical, then make them your pact weapon which you can dismiss and summon as an action, up to this point everything works RAW.

But the gauntlets are explicitly part of the armor, so what happens when you dismiss them, does the rest of the armor stay and only the gauntlet disappear? Does all of the armor go away? In any case removing the armor is not the relevant part as it can be doffed as an action, the more important part is, what happens when you summon your pact gauntlets? Do they come with the rest of the armor? If they don't, can you don the rest of the armor as an action once you have the gauntlet summoned ("It also expands to cover your entire body")? Completely grey area, but probably the most interesting build, go naked summon your pact gauntlet (which works as a focus for both Lock and Artificer spells), then from the gauntlet summon the rest of the armor.

Still considering lots of possibilities, but I'm liking the imagery of having LSC a lot, so probably some kind of caster to make use of that.

Part of this depends. Is the Plasmoid gonna be an artificer that reshapes his body to have a gluteus maximus? And pulling things out of there? Solving puzzles/encounters by pulling stuff outta his ass?

Artificer is one of the classes im juggling currently so, maybe :P

Theodoxus
2023-07-31, 02:20 PM
I understand where you're coming from. The old grognard in me worries about the cheese factor being nigh limburger; 'How can I possibly threaten you if you're never truly unarmed or unarmored?' But honestly, the whole 'you're in prison and your gear is gone' trope is old and boring - so how many times will it really be truly relevant (Armorer already pretty much negates 99% of the typical time crunch 'oh noes, I has no armor!' scenarios.)

At the end of the day, it's about your fun; it's not OP by any means, negates a tiny portion of the game that's kinda meh to begin with, and doesn't provide you with any more advantages than going straight Artificer or straight Warlock would grant. (Delaying casting in both classes is painful, so I don't find the boon of summonable armor to be more advantageous. YMMV, of course.)

I think on paper, it looks a lot stronger than it'll end up being. So, I hope your DM allows you to play it as you envision. Sounds fun.

Rukelnikov
2023-07-31, 02:25 PM
I understand where you're coming from. The old grognard in me worries about the cheese factor being nigh limburger; 'How can I possibly threaten you if you're never truly unarmed or unarmored?' But honestly, the whole 'you're in prison and your gear is gone' trope is old and boring - so how many times will it really be truly relevant (Armorer already pretty much negates 99% of the typical time crunch 'oh noes, I has no armor!' scenarios.)

At the end of the day, it's about your fun; it's not OP by any means, negates a tiny portion of the game that's kinda meh to begin with, and doesn't provide you with any more advantages than going straight Artificer or straight Warlock would grant. (Delaying casting in both classes is painful, so I don't find the boon of summonable armor to be more advantageous. YMMV, of course.)

I think on paper, it looks a lot stronger than it'll end up being. So, I hope your DM allows you to play it as you envision. Sounds fun.

I don't think its OP or anything close, but I do think its neat and "different" which is something I always enjoy. As you said, there are many ways to be "armed and armored" even when you are not, EB doesn't have a material component, and truth be told, it'd probably be better than having to go into melee to swing a weapon. The armor part would be a bit harder to negate, since Mage Armor requires a piece of cured leather, but if we go into the nitty gritty the combo would be online by 6 (Lock3/Art3), and just 1 level ahead of that there's Fabricate, as long as the prison has metal bars you can shape those into weapons or armor*. Its just another way to always have some equipment, but it shouldn't break anything.

* Or maybe not, thinking about it, Fabricate says "raw materials", but then lists "clump of trees" and "wool", which is weird, because clump of trees and patch of hemp make it seem like it has to be an unworked substance, but then lists wool, which, unless you are shaping directly from sheep, is not in its natural state, so... Does it also work with chopped wood? Does it work if that chopped wood is stacked like a pyre? Does it work if its stacked as a table but with no nails in it (like japanese carpentry)? Who knows