PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Feat Suggestions?

Karsh
2007-12-07, 12:26 PM
I'm playing a level 5 Cleric in a Dragonlance campaign set during the War of the Lance. As of right now, I still cannot cast spells, though I do have a variation of the Blue Crystal Staff. My DM has a houserule that you gain a bonus feat every 5 levels that you take your race's Favored Class (so for a Human, you just get an extra feat at 5, 10, and 15th level).

The character sheet is here: Donovan Rhys (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=3308)

I don't have access to Turning or spellcasting, so I don't qualify for feats with those prerequisites, and I'm looking for a feat that will let me do more stuff in combat than just feebly attack with my quarterstaff at a +4 or be the clunky flankbot for our rogues.

I was looking at the Domain feats in Complete Champion, but wanted to ask you guys what you thought, first... The character will eventually line up with Zivilyn, a TN god whose domains are Knowledge, Insight (sort of like Fate), Meditation (Sort of like Knowledge, only different), and Time. I'm leaning towards taking Knowledge Devotion since it's an Undead-heavy campaign and I can pretty consistently get at least a +1 if not +2 to attacks/damage against them.

Suggestions?

Fax Celestis
2007-12-07, 12:32 PM
HOLY JEEZ. Lightning Reflexes would be my recommendation.

Ganurath
2007-12-07, 12:44 PM
HOLY JEEZ. Lightning Reflexes would be my recommendation.Insightful Reflexes swaps Int for Dex on that check, so would be better for such a thing.

You have a fifth level cleric... with no spells... that sounds like a martyr to me. I'd advise someone with healing capacity outside of spells next time (does Paladin work in this setting?)

Karsh
2007-12-07, 12:53 PM
I know, it's worse than the Aristocrat class; but I will get spells in the near future, I just don't have them now.

Ganurath
2007-12-07, 12:56 PM
I know, it's worse than the Aristocrat class; but I will get spells in the near future, I just don't have them now.In the meantime, invest ranks in Diplomacy. you have fair Charisma, and somebody needs to be the face of the party. Open Minded will help get you to catch up on your ranks.

BTW, can you turn undead yet, or does that come with spellcasting?

Karsh
2007-12-07, 01:00 PM
We already have a Marshal who is the party face. My character is kind of the voice of reason and is typically the one who can explain what's going on with his Knowledge and INT.

No turning undead; I mentioned that in my first post.

mostlyharmful
2007-12-07, 01:01 PM
Power attack is always the best investment if you want to be a combatant (which is kind of a given while running a casting class sans magic:smallfrown: ), you could also try.. um... not a lot else really springs to mind, building a PC that will eventually get magic and making choices on that assumption.. blech.. maybe leadership if you dont abuse it.

Telonius
2007-12-07, 01:02 PM
Hate to say it, but your flat-footed AC is off. It can't be larger than your actual AC. You lose the Dex bonus when you're flatfooted. You currently have a dex penalty, which is unaffected by being flatfooted.

EDIT: On a (hopefully) more helpful note, Intuitive Attack from Book of Exalted Deeds is a good one for high-wisdom people who use simple weapons. Weapon Focus -> Sanctify Martial Strike is another possibility if you're going to fight oodles of undead and have no turning capacity.

Karsh
2007-12-07, 01:12 PM
I know, I just don't bother changing it. The stupid thing is that I'm going to be going into a PrC that gives me Uncanny Dodge with a negative DEX mod.

Power Attack, I'm afraid, doesn't really pan out too well since I have only a +4 to hit with a magic weapon. Insightful Reflexes does seem like a good idea. Anyone else have any other suggestions or an opinion on Knowledge Devotion?

EDIT @ ^: Character's True Neutral, no Exalted Feats. It's stupid that Intuitive Attack is Exalted, but there you go.

RTGoodman
2007-12-07, 01:20 PM
As far as I know, metamagics don't actually have the prerequisite that you be able to cast spells.

I'd suggest grabbing some of those (Extend and maybe Reach, or whatever you feel like), since you'll be able to actually use them soon, probably.

Telonius
2007-12-07, 01:22 PM
Hm. Well, Zen Archery will do the same for ranged attacks. So if you don't mind picking up a bow, that'll help.

Ganurath
2007-12-07, 01:36 PM
Hm. Well, Zen Archery will do the same for ranged attacks. So if you don't mind picking up a bow, that'll help.I can't believe I forgot this, especially since I'm working on a half-giant psychic warrior who uses it. I wholeheartedly support the use of Zen Archery, especially if you get reach spell in the levels when spellcasting is an option.
Dodge this.Repeat that to the undead who endure the turn check.

daggaz
2007-12-07, 01:41 PM
I know, I just don't bother changing it. The stupid thing is that I'm going to be going into a PrC that gives me Uncanny Dodge with a negative DEX mod.

Power Attack, I'm afraid, doesn't really pan out too well since I have only a +4 to hit with a magic weapon. Insightful Reflexes does seem like a good idea. Anyone else have any other suggestions or an opinion on Knowledge Devotion?

EDIT @ ^: Character's True Neutral, no Exalted Feats. It's stupid that Intuitive Attack is Exalted, but there you go.

Erm, you sure about that regarding power attack? Depending on your other to hit bonuses (and I am assuming a pretty standard character here, even sub-par WBL) you should be power attacking with up to three points BaB on anything with 20 AC or less, which is a lot of things.

There are some pretty good power attack calculators, try looking one up to test your optimal level.

Karsh
2007-12-07, 01:52 PM
...I have a +3 BAB and a +0 STR mod, increasing my damage isn't going to do me any good if I can't hit the enemy.

Also, while Zen Archery seems like a good idea, I'm not proficient with bows.

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 01:55 PM
There are some pretty good power attack calculators, try looking one up to test your optimal level.

What are some good power attack calculators? I've only found one online.

I'd particularly like one that will also calculate my power attack for Leap Attack without a Heedless Charge, and adjusts easily for damage reduction.

Telonius
2007-12-07, 03:00 PM
...I have a +3 BAB and a +0 STR mod, increasing my damage isn't going to do me any good if I can't hit the enemy.

Also, while Zen Archery seems like a good idea, I'm not proficient with bows.

Heavy crossbow, Light crossbow, Javelin, Dart, and Sling are still options. Even though the feat name says "archery," the description says it applies to all ranged.

Karsh
2007-12-07, 04:42 PM
Ok, looks like I'll be going with Insightful Reflexes, as the knee-jerk reaction was to increase my Reflex Save.