PDA

View Full Version : Feats for an Aberration (Not to be confused with Aberrant feats)

Buufreak
2023-08-01, 10:27 PM
I'm designing a monster, and I have most of it figured out, but I am rather terrible when it comes to filling out all the feats for things. I guess I simply just don't know enough of them that would be good or relevant for the critters I brew...

Oh well, general description: a floating, winged eye (literally just that, eye with wings grown from it) that is surrounded by a swarm of smaller winged eyes and produces psychic screams that I haven't decided will be a fear or some form of mental damage. It has perfect flight, fairly reasonable Dex, and is about the size of a mid sized sedan. It is also implied to be Evil, with the capital E.

So from that, what would be some good feats to throw on?

Gruftzwerg
2023-08-02, 12:47 AM
How many feats do you need. Or how much HD should the monster have?

Some thoughts:

1) I would give the main Eye an permanent "swarm" ability for the other smaller eyes. These should behave like a normal swarm, but share the HP with the big Eye. This also gives em an automatic swarm attack at the end of your turn and causes Distraction on a failed save. If you look at other swarms, many of em come with some kind of special abilities. Things like bleeding, ability damage, blind comes to my mind. Remind you that the base DC is 10 + 1/2HD + CON

2) As for feats, I abused Great Flyby Attack in one of my build showcases. Now you can hit enemies twice with your swarm attack per turn. Once with a successful attack roll while moving with GFB and once at the end of turn when the default automatic swarm attack kicks in. This forces enemies into making the save rolls twice a turn, which can be really annoying for those who have to fight it.

3) If you have more feats to spare, how about Martial Study and Martial Stance to get some free healing? Get the Martial Spirit stance to heal for 2 points on each successful attack. And remind you that we hit a lot with the combo above.

Menzath
2023-08-02, 11:33 AM
I feel like a giant eye without a gaze attack to be slightly dissonant.

If it does have a gaze there is a feat line in savage species, besides a small bonus to your gaze they feel mostly thematic sadly.

If it had a ray attack maybe give it an ability similar to the feat metaray(lords of madness pg.45) and give it a few meta magic feats.

Other options might be to maximize its fear ability (though some classes and feats make players immune). If you do this I would recommend getting an ability like the Dread Witch's(heroes of horror pg.98) 4th level ability great master of terror. As for feats to increase it's ability DCs there are a few, such as ability focus(any MM), reverberation(savage species pg.39.

And then the usual flying monster feats, hover, flyby attack/greater. And the one wierd flying feat Wingstorm(savage species pg.40) this feat tends to be a better on casters who have ways to get concealment from non-fog spells and have other BFC spells/abilities.

Though if it is controlling a swarm the strong winds could be counter productive unless the swarm counts as the same creature as the main eye.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-08-02, 03:01 PM
If it's supposed to rely on (Su) attacks, then Ability Focus, Dodge, Run, Meta-(Su) or Meta-(SLA)...

If it's supposed to attack, then (Greater) Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse/Power Attack, Improved Natural Attack...

loky1109
2023-08-03, 07:20 AM
There is some flying eye in Bestiary of Krynn.