PDA

View Full Version : My best friend's wedding! (Need a one-shot!)

animorte
2023-08-03, 08:20 AM
Set the scene. He and I met about 22 years ago and have always been friends since. He was the best man at my wedding and randomly tells me over the phone, "September 23rd."

Ok? ... Oh! :smallbiggrin:

I'll be hosting his bachelor party, nothing super fancy. September 22nd with a few other close friends. We'll probably have a couple drinks, reminisce, and hang out.

My ultimate plan is a one-shot! What should I do?

I've played in some with pre-made character sheets that each have a big twist. I've played in some with minimal character sheets. I just want to have something fun and rules medium-light. Everybody there will likely be somewhat familiar with 5e (and Risus is super easy), but I'm not entirely sure I want to run something there yet. I want to keep my options open! I'm looking to do most of the heavy lifting as DM/GM and just want everybody to have a wonderful time.

It's entirely possible that we just pull out some party games, board games, video games, etc. I'm preparing this anyway!

Does anybody have any specific modules or other recommendations to suit my request?

KorvinStarmast
2023-08-03, 09:59 AM
Paranoia one shot might be a good one, if you think the group doesn't mind that kind of shenanigans, and it does place you as GM at the center of it.

Ionathus
2023-08-03, 04:16 PM
Have a "save the wedding" oneshot! Either the venue gets attacked or the marrying couple gets kidnapped, and the party gets to be family/friends/bystanders that save the day. Good fun for the whole family.

Batcathat
2023-08-03, 04:43 PM
It might also be a good time for people to play themselves (or possibly good-natured caricatures of themselves), possibly in combination with the "save a wedding" idea above. The bride to be gets kidnapped but luckily the groom and his close friends are secretly superheroes or something like that.

animorte
2023-08-03, 10:38 PM
Paranoia one shot might be a good one, if you think the group doesn't mind that kind of shenanigans, and it does place you as GM at the center of it.
I fully expect that whatever we do will create silly memories. I've never played Paranoia but I looked up a bit and this subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2fhkl4/i_want_to_gm_paranoia_where_do_i_start/) gave me an idea of what to expect and several good laughs. Some combination of 1984 and Glados from Portal, both of which I enjoyed thoroughly.

"Save the wedding" is certainly a hook I have been considering!