PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Starfinder 2e announced, and it's compatible with PF2R

137beth
2023-08-03, 06:01 PM
Paizo has just announced Starfinder Second Edition. (https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sidk) They are launching a limited preview now, and a full playtest in August 2024.

The big headline feature is that they claim the new rules will "compatible" with Pathfinder 2e Remaster. It sounds like a nice idea, though I admit I'm skeptical that Paizo can pull it off and have the two product lines work.

Eldonauran
2023-08-03, 06:41 PM
Hmmm. I actually liked the niche Starfinder 1e took up. Traditional (D&D-like) level design allowing for true multiclassed characters with the introduction of class feats to determine the class features. If SF2E is moving towards PF2E, I'll find myself losing interest. If it opens up more interest and revenue for Paizo, and attracts more players, good for them.

pabelfly
2023-08-03, 06:51 PM
Paizo has just announced Starfinder Second Edition. (https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sidk) They are launching a limited preview now, and a full playtest in August 2024.

The big headline feature is that they claim the new rules will "compatible" with Pathfinder 2e Remaster. It sounds like a nice idea, though I admit I'm skeptical that Paizo can pull it off and have the two product lines work.

I'm glad that they're moving to compatible rules for Starfinder 2e and Pathfinder 2e. One of the faults I had with Starfinder 1e was that you had to adjust to new rules and all-new classes, while not being able to use Pathfinder classes or races that you wanted to use. This also gives us a good idea what to expect in terms of design and power scaling - if you don't like how PF2e handles it, you probably won't like SF2e either.

Now, I'm wondering if Paizo are going to come up with a unifying setting for both Pathfinder and Starfinder.

Condé
2023-08-04, 01:40 AM
I'm glad that they're moving to compatible rules for Starfinder 2e and Pathfinder 2e. One of the faults I had with Starfinder 1e was that you had to adjust to new rules and all-new classes, while not being able to use Pathfinder classes or races that you wanted to use. This also gives us a good idea what to expect in terms of design and power scaling - if you don't like how PF2e handles it, you probably won't like SF2e either.

Now, I'm wondering if Paizo are going to come up with a unifying setting for both Pathfinder and Starfinder.

It could be since they are updating the core Books of pf2e.

pabelfly
2023-08-04, 01:54 AM
It could be since they are updating the core Books of pf2e.

I had a look at the FAQ about PF2e remaster. Probably most important for this discussion:

The Pathfinder Second Edition Remaster Project does not change the fundamental core system design of Pathfinder. Small improvements and cosmetic changes appear throughout, but outside of a few minor changes in terminology, the changes are not anywhere substantive enough to be considered a new edition.

With the exception of a few minor variations in terminology and a slightly different mix of monsters, spells, and magic items, the rules remain largely unchanged. A pre-remaster stat block, spell, monster, or adventure should work with the remastered rules with no problem.

I don't think the PF2e remaster specifically has much to do with Starfinder 2e, or vice versa. I think the reason behind Starfinder 2e was the lack of compatability between Starfinder and Pathfinder 2e and a desire to create that compatability and hopefully increase sales for future Starfinder books.

Condé
2023-08-04, 03:24 AM
I had a look at the FAQ about PF2e remaster. Probably most important for this discussion:

I don't think the PF2e remaster specifically has much to do with Starfinder 2e, or vice versa. I think the reason behind Starfinder 2e was the lack of compatability between Starfinder and Pathfinder 2e and a desire to create that compatability and hopefully increase sales for future Starfinder books.

Sorry, I might not have been very clear. What I meant is it would be surprising that they do not take profit of the rule update of PF2e to accomodate things in prevision of Starfinder 2. They did not mention Starfinder in the fact because it wasn't announced but that doesn't mean they are not going to make some adjustements and/or are taking advantage of the rule clarification to help them make starfinder compatible with PF2e.