PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [Pathfinder] Object -> PaO -> creature: Resulting type?

Jack_Simth
2023-08-04, 06:08 AM
So in Pathfinder, Polymorph Any Object (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/polymorph-any-object/) has an example of a "Marionette to human" in the duration, and makes it quite clear that the spell can target objects, even going so far as to giving them stats (10/10/10/5/5/5 before the polymorph effect's adjustments). But I'm not seeing anything about types on there, nor the things that are very commonly bound up with them. So if I, say, turn a medium sized log into a green man, I can easily know the strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, and Charisma of the resulting creature (12/10/12/5/5/5), but not other things like "does it eat and breathe?" or "which type-specific spells affect it?"

I'm not seeing type mentioned along the various inheritance chains so normally (e.g., when using it on a humanoid), it would leave type unchanged (and Charm Person continues to work on a wizard that recently cast Plant Shape II). But what's the answer here?