PDA

View Full Version : 5e-Way of Stone-PEACH

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-05, 01:38 AM
Way of Stone

Followers of the stone path find enlightened meditating amongst the bones of the world. Steadfast and strong, these disciples are home wherever they tread and stand as bulwarks against the evils that threaten the land.

-Disciple of Stone: At 3rd level, you can draw strength up from the soil and stone to enhance your body. You gain the following benefits:
-When you are hit by a melee or ranged attack, you may spend 1 Ki point as reaction to create a shield out of earth. This shield applies a bonus to your armor class equal to your constitution modifier, and may cause the attack to miss. This shield falls after the triggering attack is resolved, whether it still hits or misses. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency modifier. You regain all uses of this ability after a long rest.
-Hammers, mauls, and picks are considered monk weapons for you.

-Ear to the Ground: At 6th level, you can use your connection to the earth to locate danger. You gain Tremorsense with a range equal to 10x your proficiency bonus. You can spend 2 Ki points to double this range for 1 minute as a bonus action.

-Golem’s Skin: At 11th level, the very stones jump to your defense. As a bonus action, you can assemble a protective suit of earthen armor for 1 minute. For the duration you gain the following benefits:
-Terran Scale: You gain resistance to all damage types, except psychic, for the 1 minute duration of this ability.
-Broken Steps: Any surface you move across while this ability is active is broken and made difficult terrain. The terrain returns to normal after ten minutes.

Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 5 Ki points to use this ability again.

-Juggernaut: At 17th level, you are fully immersed in the power of the soil and stones. You gain the following benefits:
-Burrowing: You gain a burrowing speed equal to your base movement speed. Solid stone does not impede this movement. This movement does not leave a tunnel.
-Earthbound: You can not be pushed, pulled, or knocked prone unless you allow yourself to be.
-Volcanic Strike: You exercise the land’s wrath by superheating stone and hurling missiles of magma at your foes. When you take the attack action on your turn, you replace one of the attacks with a blast of lava in a 30ft line that is 5ft wide. Each creature in the line must make a dexterity saving throw against your Ki save DC, taking fire damage equal to 4 rolls of your martial arts die on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest. While you have no uses available, you can spend 2 ki points to use this feature again.

JNAProductions
2023-08-05, 03:36 PM
Way of Stone

Followers of the stone path find enlightened meditating amongst the bones of the world. Steadfast and strong, these disciples are home wherever they tread and stand as bulwarks against the evils that threaten the land.

-Disciple of Stone: At 3rd level, you can draw strength up from the soil and stone to enhance your body. You gain the following benefits:
-As a bonus action, you can summon a shield of stone granting you a bonus to your armor class equal to your constitution modifier. You can dismiss this shield as a bonus action.
-Stones embedded in your limbs from years of hard training help you channel the mystic energies of the land. Your unarmed attacks are considered magical weapon attacks.
-Hammers, mauls, and picks are considered monk weapons for you.

-Ear to the Ground: At 6th level, you can use your connection to the earth to locate danger. You gain Tremorsense with a range equal to 10x your proficiency bonus. You can spend 2 Ki points to double this range for 1 minute as a bonus action.

-Golem’s Skin: At 11th level, the very stones jump to your defense. As a bonus action, you can assemble a protective suit of earthen armor for 1 minute. For the duration you gain the following benefits:
-Terran Scale: You gain resistance to all damage types, except psychic, for the 1 minute duration of this ability.
-Broken Steps: Any surface you move across while this ability is active is broken and made difficult terrain.

Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 3 Ki points to use this ability again.

-Juggernaut: At 17th level, you are fully immersed in the power of the soil and stones. You gain the following benefits:
-Burrowing: You gain a burrowing speed equal to your base movement speed. Solid stone does not impede this movement.
-Earthbound: Spells, combat maneuvers, or other abilities that push/pull a target or inflict the prone condition have no effect on you unless you choose to allow it to.
-Volcanic Strike: You exercise the land’s wrath by superheating stone and hurling missiles of magma at your foes. When you take the attack action on your turn, you replace one of the attacks with a blast of lava in a 30ft line that is 5ft wide. Each creature in the line must make a dexterity saving throw against your Ki save DC, taking fire damage equal to 4 rolls of your martial arts die on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest. While you have no uses available, you can spend 2 ki points to use this feature again.

Disciple Of Stone
Bullet point one is dipping potential to the extreme. A Barb 5/Stone Monk 3, for example, gets 10+Dex+2Con to AC. As written, it doesn't even require you to be unarmored, so a Fighter/Stone Monk could wear Full Plate (18) a Shield (+2) Defensive Fighting Style (+1) and still get Stone Monk Con to AC (+2-5).
Bullet point two is entirely unneeded-Monks already get that at level 6.
Bullet point three is fine.

Ear To The Grounds
Seems fine.

Golem's Skin
At level eleven, you can reasonably use this every fight. 3 Ki is a decent chunk, but not unaffordable. And it's like Bear Totem Rage-except usable a lot more.
Far too good.

Juggernaut
Specify if the burrow speed leaves a tunnel.
Earthbound is neat, and not too much for this level. Though I would specify that you are immune to push, pull, and prone, but NOT other effects of the ability. Thunderwave, for example, should still be able to damage you, just not push you.

Overall: Needs to be toned down.

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-05, 11:01 PM
Thank you JnaProductions, your reviews are always very helpful! I made some revisions on the OP that will hopefully trim things in a bit.

JNAProductions
2023-08-05, 11:07 PM
Shield can last until your next turn, I think.
Golem’s Skin needs a rework, I think, not just cost increase.

Phone posting from work, so have to be brief. Not sure how to rework Golem, unfortunately.

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-05, 11:53 PM
Hm… is the problem that it’s op or too similar to the totem Barb ability? I’d think it would be weaker since ki points tend to deplete quickly whereas a 3rd level barb can do this 3 times a day as soon as they get it.

JNAProductions
2023-08-05, 11:57 PM
Hm… is the problem that it’s op or too similar to the totem Barb ability? I’d think it would be weaker since ki points tend to deplete quickly whereas a 3rd level barb can do this 3 times a day as soon as they get it.

It’s similar, yeah, but with Ki coming back on a short rest, a balance point would be really difficult to find.

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-06, 12:50 AM
Hm. Then what about a limited use per long rest?

Or maybe resistance to all damage except psychic, acid, necrotic or thunder?

I could see it not protecting from those 4 especially thunder (sonic) cracking the rocks

JNAProductions
2023-08-06, 12:53 AM
Hm. Then what about a limited use per long rest?

Or maybe resistance to all damage except psychic, acid, necrotic or thunder?

I could see it not protecting from those 4 especially thunder (sonic) cracking the rocks

Honestly, I think you're better off just ditching the idea of Golem's Skin. In its current format, at least.

Maybe add a damage bump? Eleven is a tier breakpoint, so damage boost is good.

Something like...

Golem Form
At level eleven, you can use a bonus action to empower your form with the strength of a golem for a minute. While empowered, you may add your Constitution modifier to all damage rolls with Monk weapons or unarmed strikes you make. Additionally, you may reduce any instance of damage you take by the same amount.

You may do this once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest. Alternatively, you may use it again for 3 Ki.

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-06, 12:57 AM
Would it be too much to stipulate that since your power comes from the ground you Sitka need to be in contact with it for this to work ?

JNAProductions
2023-08-06, 12:58 AM
Would it be too much to stipulate that since your power comes from the ground you Sitka need to be in contact with it for this to work ?

I don't think that's needed.

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-06, 01:05 AM
Hm, by god I think you’ve done it.

Segev
2023-08-06, 01:28 AM
I recommend against both a ki cost AND a limited number of uses per day on the same feature. Pick one or the other.