PDA

View Full Version : Monster Manual III reviewed

Azaul
2007-12-07, 02:37 PM
We've got a new review posted in the Private Sanctuary (www.35privatesanctuary.com). Can Monster Manual III (http://rcjrproductions.com/35ps/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=27&mosmsg=Item+successfully+saved.) live down it's reputation as Eberron MM? Do new gamers get confused that Monster Manual III (http://rcjrproductions.com/35ps/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=27&mosmsg=Item+successfully+saved.) came out after Monster Manual 3.5? Or that there is no current edition of Monster Manual II?

Read on. We always love hearing what you guys think.

TheLogman
2007-12-07, 06:11 PM
Meh, I actually LOVE MM III. Who cares if Ebberon is "Less unique"? If only 3 monsters made the setting "Unique", I don't know what unique is. Some of my favorite stuff comes from the MM III, like the RageWalkers, Living Spells, the Drowned, Omnimentals, and ShadeSteel Golems. In fact, as I am speaking, the MM III is occupying the prized space of all my sourcebooks, the space directly to the left of my computer. Great Art, Great Ideas, Great Expansion, Great Monsters.

EDIT: The entries within EVERY monster that states how the monsters fit into specific setting was a little annoying, but even those hinted at the best ways to use any given monster.

Yami
2007-12-07, 07:25 PM
I never relly thought one way or another about the Eberron based creatures. It's my own little world, and if I have warforged, then I have warforged. It's not like we haven't been playing with sentient constructs before they came out anyways. Dinosaurs likewise, though I had to write up stats for those.

Not new in the least, so meh on confusation, but if I am to say anything about the MMIII it is thus.

I gotta love a book that managed such a good interpretation of one of my favorite unseelie fae. Book wins for the redcap alone, though they did seem a bit unarmoured for me. All-in all I think your write up hit on some of the best examples there, though I don't hold the same stance about the dino's and Ebberon material.

RTGoodman
2007-12-07, 09:51 PM
Some of my favorite stuff comes from the MM III, like the RageWalkers, Living Spells, the Drowned, Omnimentals, and ShadeSteel Golems.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some other cool stuff from MMIII: armand; boneclaw (my favorite undead ever); cadaver collector; goatfolk; kenku; redcap; and spellwarped creature template.

martyboy74
2007-12-07, 10:11 PM
Voidmind has an interesting concept too. And though not balanced, the War Troll should be every shapeshifter's best friend.

Emperor Tippy
2007-12-09, 12:22 AM
The MM3 is my favorite Monster Manual.

It has numerous interesting monsters that actually have credible CR's.

Frosty
2007-12-09, 12:35 AM
The MM3 is my favorite Monster Manual.

It has numerous interesting monsters that actually have credible CR's.

Credible CRs? You mean like how our level 2 group wiped against a "level-appropriate CR2 challenge" in the form of a Fleshraker?

TheLogman
2007-12-09, 09:39 AM
There are a couple bumps in the road, like the Fleshraker, the Drowned, and Arcane Ooze, but for the most part, it's very balanced.

DraPrime
2007-12-09, 09:56 AM
Why get a new monster manual when we just have The Vorpal Tribble?

AKA_Bait
2007-12-09, 11:33 AM
Why get a new monster manual when we just have The Vorpal Tribble?

Because you can have... both! And Fax... and The Demented One... [/greedy]

On the topic, I must agree with most of the posters. I have never even cracked the ECS and MMIII is one of my favorite WotC produced books. Some monsters are over powered, but that's just the norm for a WotC product. Theres some fully stuff, the how this fits into x world thing, that I just ignore. But the concepts for the monsters are awesome and really, if you are just going off listed CR for monster power I'm surprised you havent TPKed your party a few times just from the regular old MM.