PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What are all the in-game effects of blindness?

St Fan
2023-08-05, 03:48 AM
Now, the “Blind Weaponmaster” archetype is a classic, and I’m sure plenty of players have tried it in their games already.

But that got me thinking... beyond the short rule given in “Condition Summary”, what are the FULL and COMPLETE in-game effects of blindness?
What class features or tactics are prevented to be used, and what are all the aside advantages/disadvantages?

Let’s start at the beginning:

Blinded
The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

Okay, first: “takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks”
The “most” imply there can be exceptions. The full list of checks with this penalty would be Search (removed by Tactile Trapsmith), Climb, Jump, Swim, and then Balance, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Sleight of Hand, Tumble and Use Rope.
Escape Artist, I guess, would get a pass (it rarely involves seeing what you’re doing).

Then “All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail.”

That would include Spot checks (already mentioned) but also, I do believe, Appraise checks, most Craft checks (though exceptions are possible), Decipher Script, Disable Device (while Tactile Trapsmith makes it possible), Forgery, Heal, Knowledge checks to identify creatures (although I guess someone can give a description to help the blind character), Spellcraft to decipher magic writings or identify spell casts, and probably Survival too.

Being unable to read means no preparing spells from a spellbook, no scribing new spells to a spellbook, no using scrolls, and certainly no scribing scrolls either.
There are probably ways to counter these problems, like alternate magic items to scrolls working by touch (some sort of quipu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu), for example), or the normally terrible Eidetic Spellcaster ACF.
But either way, Wizard isn’t a great choice for a blind character.

Also, being blind seriously limits the use of targeted spells, at least at range. “You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target.”
Ranged-touch spells can be cast without seeing the target, but with low chances of hitting.
A blind spellcaster is better off restricted to personal or touch spells.
A lot of divination magics are reliant on sight, too (although I’m not too sure how it interacts exactly with detect magic, aura sight, arcane sight, and the like...)

Beyond that, a blinded character can’t use Sneak Attack (and most form of precision damage), nor any derivative of them, such as Ambush feats.
It is open to interpretation, but things like favored enemies or the Knowledge Devotion usually imply to identify properly the enemy and find weak spots, so I’ll probably rule they are useless while blind too.

No, I’m certainly forgetting plenty of other class features becoming unusable, please contribute.

On the other shoe, blindness offer several immunities.
Blind characters cannot be dazzled of fascinated, and is immune to gaze attacks, bright lights or similar attacks (such as color spray).
They’re also immune to plenty illusions or fear effects based on sight.
They, obviously, cannot be blinded and ignore darkness or invisibility (i.e. it doesn’t penalize them more than usual).
Of course, they can exploit those immunities by using sight-obscuring circumstances to their advantage.

sleepyphoenixx
2023-08-05, 05:12 AM
A blinded character also can't make AoO's since you can't make those against targets that have concealment from you.

That said if you're going to play a blind weapon master you're presumably taking build options to counter your blindness (like getting blindsight), so ironically enough a blind character is least likely to be affected by the full drawbacks of being blind.

Being unable to read means no preparing spells from a spellbook, no scribing new spells to a spellbook, no using scrolls, and certainly no scribing scrolls either.
There are probably ways to counter these problems, like alternate magic items to scrolls working by touch (some sort of quipu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu), for example), or the normally terrible Eidetic Spellcaster ACF.
CArc has rules for alternative spellbooks that can be read by touch, so a permanently blind wizard wouldn't have a problem (preparing spells at least).

A lot of divination magics are reliant on sight, too (although I’m not too sure how it interacts exactly with detect magic, aura sight, arcane sight, and the like...)
And on the other hand there are a few that let you see. Share Husk for example.

It is open to interpretation, but things like favored enemies or the Knowledge Devotion usually imply to identify properly the enemy and find weak spots, so I’ll probably rule they are useless while blind too.
You don't necessarily need to see to identify something. The Scent SQ for example has this line:

Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.
And Scent is pretty easy to get. But yes, unless you have an alternative way to identify monsters those shouldn't work.

Of course, they can exploit those immunities by using sight-obscuring circumstances to their advantage.
That's not all that much of a benefit since you can generally replicate it with 1st level spells like Ebon Eyes and Snowsight. Or even a cantrip if you count Fire Eyes + Smokesticks.
Similarly most higher level threats already have some way to counter sight obscuring anyway, so it's also not very reliable.

loky1109
2023-08-05, 07:06 AM
checks and activities that rely on vision
Knowledge checks to identify creatures
Say it to birdwatchers! )))

Bullet06320
2023-08-05, 03:40 PM

Brail
in the FR novel The Mage in the Iron Mask, there is a wizard character whose spellbook is in brail
I barely remember the details, i think he was a very minor character, and only mentioned briefly, but he exists in the realms
a quick google search didnt find me more info for you, and i would have to dig out the book and reread it for more

Gemini476
2023-08-07, 07:25 PM
Say it to birdwatchers! )))

Quite. I have to imagine that there's plenty of creatures that would be identifiable by their scent, sounds, or even just verbal descriptions given by other party members. Now, your identification might be delayed, but there's still plenty that could be identified.

e.g.
The party meets an Otyough. The blind scholar identifies it by its stench (there's only so many monsters that wallow in offal like they do).
The party meets a Krenshar. Initial descriptions from the party might misidentify it as a monstrous wolf or hyena, but the moment it screeches the blind scholar identifies it as what it is. (Alternatively, it pulls back its face and the party mentions that, making identification trivial.)

Once you know what the enemy is, your knowledge devotion, favored enemy etc. gives you better odds at fighting it - but since they're fighting through full concealment, it's already an uphill battle to even hit them in the first place.

...On another note, keep in mind that while a blind wizard might have a hard time targeting creatures with offensive spells given how, well, they lack line of sight, they can still lob fireballs in that general direction and hope they guessed right.

Gruftzwerg
2023-08-07, 08:16 PM
Also, being blind seriously limits the use of targeted spells, at least at range. “You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target.”
Ranged-touch spells can be cast without seeing the target, but with low chances of hitting.

“You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target.”

I see 2 problems here:

1) touch the target = melee touch attack != ranged touch attack
Sole a melee touch attach is touching the target. The ranged touch attack is sole targeting touch AC but doesn't touch the target.

2) You don't choose your target if you are attacking blindly. You attack a square blindly (either randomly chosen or because you somehow know that there is a creature).

No matter how I look at it, targeted spellcasting will be very hard to accomplish unless you are targeting yourself.

Ramza00
2023-08-08, 12:13 AM
One crafts a Blindfold of Perception magic item for 2,000 gp. The Synesthete psionic power all day.

Bonus if your blind swordsman archetype, inciting incident (daredevil) also creates 4 ninja turtles for they got the same ooze accident.

Daisy
2023-08-08, 01:26 AM
Remember, the last sentence of the blindness condition summary states, "Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them".

For a long-term blind character I'd reduce the penalties. To what, specifically, I can't say. I'd have to have a long think about it. But a permanently-blind person wouldn't suffer as much as someone suddenly struck blind.

loky1109
2023-08-08, 06:03 AM
Once you know what the enemy is, your knowledge devotion, favored enemy etc
Knowledge devotion - yes. FE - no, you don't need to know what your enemy is, to apply FE bonuses.

Tzardok
2023-08-08, 06:06 AM
I don't think blindness makes you immune to being fascinated. Fascinating music is a thing too.

Venger
2023-08-08, 11:48 AM
I don't think blindness makes you immune to being fascinated. Fascinating music is a thing too.

You are correct. I think the conflation is understandable. Fascinated is a pretty rare condition.

Blind characters cannot be dazzled of fascinated, and is immune to gaze attacks, bright lights or similar attacks (such as color spray).

One of the more prominent places one is likely to encounter it is rainbow pattern (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rainbowPattern.htm) in core. The patten descriptor specifies that while these do make visual outputs, they are echoed in the minds of those affected so it works on sightless creatures, in darkness, etc. so blind characters are not insulated from it for this reason, nor are they specifically immune to fascination, but the spell does specifically exempt sightless creatures. While a blind creature will be unaffected by the blindness rider in color spray, they enjoy no special immunity to it either and may still be rendered unconscious or stunned even if they can't see the colors.

rel
2023-08-09, 02:11 AM
Remember, the last sentence of the blindness condition summary states, "Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them".

For a long-term blind character I'd reduce the penalties. To what, specifically, I can't say. I'd have to have a long think about it. But a permanently-blind person wouldn't suffer as much as someone suddenly struck blind.

This bears repeating. If you want to play a truly blind character talk to your GM.

Crake
2023-08-09, 07:34 PM
CArc has rules for alternative spellbooks that can be read by touch, so a permanently blind wizard wouldn't have a problem (preparing spells at least).

It also has rules for tattooing your spellbook on yourself, which includes the rule that you can use your familiar’s eyes to prepare spells that are on your back that you cant see, which itself implies you can use your familiar to prepare spells in general if youre blind