PDA

View Full Version : Lego/Mega Construx figurine scaling

EoNhOeKnOwS
2023-08-06, 12:17 PM
Greetings all, anyone use a mix of lego and mega construx figurines for their games? I specifically want to make a whole man cave filled with different terrains and maps but I want to make it to scale as close as possible.

The mega construx figs are bigger, wider and taller, making the lego figs look like gnomes or halflings. Anywho, just getting everyones feel on this, mayhaps someone did some calculations and could give out how many studs x studs wide for a 5 ft area, how high things should be … I’ve come up with my own and it could be flawed lol

Mega construx halo fig is comfy in a box room of 6 blocks high (or 8 studs high) and stands on 5x3 studs with space to have weapons and room for allies. So I suppose a 5ft square would be … 5x5 studs lol. The lego fig can fit on a spinning 2x2 piece and mount that piece onto a 5x5 plate (I don’t think lego makes many 5x5 plates tho)

Creature size: these are all fun with spinning plates on the base plate
Small: 2x2 plate
Medium: 5x5 plate (this is the only non-standard piece)
Large: 8x8
Huge: 16x16
Gargantuan: 32x32

Another kind of thought - I very much love Eve Online even if they recently messed up mining so a lot of the ships have some measurements

For example
A capsuleer’s pod is 4 meters and that’s like 12-13 feet so a meter is one 5x5 square and it’s 4 meters long instead of wide. Any buildings ore ships with multiple stories would be 6 blocks high per room

I’m reading this and it makes sense please correct or leave your thoughts on anything you see lol

Olffandad
2023-08-14, 06:12 PM
I have a metric ton of LEGO, so I often use LEGO in RPGs.

I use the usual minifigure as Size M (in D&D terms) with a tile underneath to help it stand up.

I would use a 2x2 tile for "roughly" a 5-foot square for distance.

I'm not so dedicated that I would build a whole room out of LEGO, though. I use a dry erase mat underneath to lay out broad details like walls or trees. Then I would focus on building things of special interest, like a NPC miniature, a monster, or a treasure chest heaped with gold, for instance.

Have fun!

hamishspence
2023-08-16, 11:02 AM
For those who do want to build entire rooms or passages with Lego walls, or a checkered floor to mark the 5 ft squares, I think 4 studs by 4 studs works best (with the mini standing in the central 2x2 section - yes, the basic minifigures would be a little on the short side - just over 5 ft tall using this scale - but it allows it to stand in a 5ft wide passage and not have the shoulders pressing against the walls.

There'd be room for minifigures to face each other, holding swords and shields, looking like they're about to fight, and still be in base-to-base contact by the rules.

False God
2023-08-16, 11:38 AM
For those who do want to build entire rooms or passages with Lego walls, or a checkered floor to mark the 5 ft squares, I think 4 studs by 4 studs works best (with the mini standing in the central 2x2 section - yes, the basic minifigures would be a little on the short side - just over 5 ft tall using this scale - but it allows it to stand in a 5ft wide passage and not have the shoulders pressing against the walls.

There'd be room for minifigures to face each other, holding swords and shields, looking like they're about to fight, and still be in base-to-base contact by the rules.

Keep in mind, a minifig is actually wider than the 1x2 plate they stand on, their arms protrude each direction, making them effectively 1x4, which means a hall for a single mini would need to utilize a x6 wide baseplate.

It's odd to me that the OP is using a 5x5 plate for a standard medium space. I understand the logic, but with everything else running off base 2, a 4x4 plate makes much more sense.

Beyond that though, D&D minis would be closer to a 2x2 plate. While the 4x4 scale is appropriate for minis, it makes big things REALLY BIG, effectively doubling the standard D&D sizing. This isn't a problem with LEGO horses or crocodiles and over "large" creatures, since there are minis for that too, but it'll really start hurting when you hit huge, like giant insects, elementals, and dragons. D&D minis are roughly 1/72nd scale, and for the record, LEGO minis are somewhere in the 1/40ish range.

Personally I wouldn't quibble all that much about scale in LEGO. It's LEGO, nothing is proportional on purpose. The big upside to using LEGO would mostly be your ability to customize a table as you see fit, blow things up, and not worry about round disk "hitboxes" under everything.