PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hiding wings from persisted lesser holy transformation in a low magic campaign

Frostthehero
2023-08-06, 11:33 PM
I have a cleric who persists lesser holy transformation using DMM. His wings have become an issue because they cause quite a stir when he walks into town, which is not desirable.

He does not have access to the trickery domain via his deity, and obtaining a hat of disguise (or really any other kind of disguising magic item) is going to be extraordinarily difficult, because the campaign is fairly low magic.

Is there a way for him to hide his wings from casual observation without appearing horribly deformed?

Doctor Despair
2023-08-06, 11:35 PM
I have a cleric who persists lesser holy transformation using DMM. His wings have become an issue because they cause quite a stir when he walks into town, which is not desirable.

He does not have access to the trickery domain via his deity, and obtaining a hat of disguise (or really any other kind of disguising magic item) is going to be extraordinarily difficult, because the campaign is fairly low magic.

Is there a way for him to hide his wings from casual observation without appearing horribly deformed?

1. Guidance of the Avatar and masterwork tool (+22)

2. Mundane disguise check (-2 for "different race" is probably appropriate to hide wings; apart from that, it's just opposed by spot)

Assuming they take 10 on the disguise check, and assuming they have no ranks in disguise, they'd set the DC at 30 + cha to tell he has wings.

If you don’t draw any attention to yourself, others do not get to make Spot checks. If you come to the attention of people who are suspicious (such as a guard who is watching commoners walking through a city gate), it can be assumed that such observers are taking 10 on their Spot checks.

So they'd need a +20 to their check to tell he has wings. That's probably good enough, right?

Frostthehero
2023-08-06, 11:42 PM
1. Guidance of the Avatar and masterwork tool (+22)

2. Mundane disguise check (-2 for "different race" is probably appropriate to hide wings; apart from that, it's just opposed by spot)

Assuming they take 10 on the disguise check, and assuming they have no ranks in disguise, they'd set the DC at 30 + cha to tell he has wings.

The DM generally doesn't allow high skill rolls (even really high ones) to do the impossible - hiding a full sized set of wings with nothing but disguise seems fishy to me, but I'll see if I can make it fly.

In any case, I'll probably need to use divine insight instead of guidance of the avatar, because the DM frowns upon 3e content (even though the technical rule is that if it wasn't updated, the 3e content remains in place).

Crake
2023-08-06, 11:46 PM
The DM generally doesn't allow high skill rolls (even really high ones) to do the impossible - hiding a full sized set of wings with nothing but disguise seems fishy to me, but I'll see if I can make it fly.

In any case, I'll probably need to use divine insight instead of guidance of the avatar, because the DM frowns upon 3e content (even though the technical rule is that if it wasn't updated, the 3e content remains in place).

Put as cloak over it, disguise it as a hunchback? Doesn't seem impossible to me. Xmen had a scene for something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJgh1LdKAME

I don't think you'd even really need a super high disguise check, I think you'd more need to focus on bluff to convince people it's a hunchback, if they even question it at all, which, really, why would they?

Frostthehero
2023-08-06, 11:51 PM
Put as cloak over it, disguise it as a hunchback? Doesn't seem impossible to me. Xmen had a scene for something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJgh1LdKAME

I don't think you'd even really need a super high disguise check, I think you'd more need to focus on bluff to convince people it's a hunchback, if they even question it at all, which, really, why would they?

I was hoping to avoid the ol' hunchback trick, but perhaps that is the best option. Maybe a giant backpack instead...

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-08-06, 11:55 PM
Do what Goliath did in the old Gargoyles cartoon; the cleric should wrap himself in his wings and treat it like a cloak. A feathered cloak. Come up with a suitably outlandish story explaining why he has a feathered cloak that looks somewhat like wings. Add an actual cape with feathers that match his (preferably using his own feathers) that drapes between his wings in the back to help sell the disguise, and a clasp that attaches in the front, as well.

Bonus points if he makes feathered cloaks that the party can wear, and he can even sell a few of while in town so several people have feathered cloaks (almost) just like his, in addition to the rest of the party, one or two of which can take their cloaks off to "prove" that they're just fancy cloaks. Should allow for an appropriate Disguise check on the cleric's part.

Crake
2023-08-07, 12:20 AM
Do what Goliath did in the old Gargoyles cartoon; the cleric should wrap himself in his wings and treat it like a cloak. A feathered cloak. Come up with a suitably outlandish story explaining why he has a feathered cloak that looks somewhat like wings. Add an actual cape with feathers that match his (preferably using his own feathers) that drapes between his wings in the back to help sell the disguise, and a clasp that attaches in the front, as well.

Bonus points if he makes feathered cloaks that the party can wear, and he can even sell a few of while in town so several people have feathered cloaks (almost) just like his, in addition to the rest of the party, one or two of which can take their cloaks off to "prove" that they're just fancy cloaks. Should allow for an appropriate Disguise check on the cleric's part.

Had a player that did something like this, but it was with dragonfly wings and a gossamer dress

Remuko
2023-08-07, 02:25 PM
Might be a silly question but if this is a Holy transformation, these wings must be angelic right? maybe its just me, but in any fantasy setting i can envision, with angels as known beings, any non-evil settlement would just think you're an actual angel...and it would be a good thing if anything, not a bad one. but seriously can the commonfolk not tell the transformation is holy? and if so why wouldn't they be awed and enamored with the look?

Zanos
2023-08-07, 02:43 PM
I feel like intelligent use of binders and dye could make wings look like a fancy cloak, and should fall under a mundane disguise check.

Might be a silly question but if this is a Holy transformation, these wings must be angelic right? maybe its just me, but in any fantasy setting i can envision, with angels as known beings, any non-evil settlement would just think you're an actual angel...and it would be a good thing if anything, not a bad one. but seriously can the commonfolk not tell the transformation is holy? and if so why wouldn't they be awed and enamored with the look?
If the setting is low magic people are more likely to be suspicious if anything. You'd probably think someone was up to something if they were walking around your neighborhood with angel wings.

Also drawing a ton of attention to yourself can be bad for a huge number of reasons.

Ramza00
2023-08-07, 03:19 PM
You see you have a best friend, who is gay (he has not told you), wrap you up with medical gauze from a healers kit (50 gp). Now no one can tell the Angel in your party has wings for said PC hides them underneath his dress shirt, suit, and jacket. It is only a few gold to have your Angel PC pass in public among the humans, prior to fighting some metal robots.

And if your best friend complains, and starts crying next to the demon obelisk, for he loves his best friend but is afraid to tell him. Then the local sorcerer with magnetic / telekinesis spells will show up and comfort the teenage sorcerer who often turns into a snowman.

If you can not tell this is a reference and I am literally describing two different issues of comics almost 60 years apart.

Malphegor
2023-08-09, 08:20 AM

if your DM needs a fictional example of a winged character disguising their wings, point them to early X Men comics where Angel would use binding belts to hold their wings down while wearing bulky clothes on top to hide that they have big angel wings in there

Fuzzy McCoy
2023-08-09, 11:28 PM
You might not want to burn a feat on it, but this seems tailor made for the invisible spell metamagic feat.