PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Class for a Magician

Xeko
2023-08-07, 12:44 AM
Alright, character concept. He's a lizardfolk, and his tribe puts a high degree of respect on magic. He was born with some magical talent, and throughout all of his childhood he was told he'd be destined for great things because of it. Believing he was a shoe-in to be the next shaman of the tribe some day, he was devastated when, just before adolescence, he lost his magical ability. Something to do with the Feywild, the DM just told us to have our characters lose something very important to them during their childhood, and I chose his magic, though I'm not clear on the how or why. Maybe it'll return over the course of the campaign, though I'm working under the assumption it will not. Well, without his magic, but obsessed with magic, he became a street magician. Sleight of hand and card tricks and bunnies in hats and all of that. Though I'd probably need to include some less-traditional magic routines, like sword swallowing or knife throwing, to explain away why he carries weapons and is capable in combat.

The question is, what class should I choose for a magician who has zero actual magic? My first thought was Echo Knight Fighter, as the duplicate can play into the whole sleight of hand misdirection sort of thing. But, echo knights mechanically want high strength and constitution, and my backstory would want high dexterity (for sleight of hand) and probably a decent intelligence or charisma too (as a former caster and current performer), and I feel like I'm spread way too thin that way. Now story is way more important than mechanics, if echo knight fits best, than echo knight it is, even if I do have to spread my stats five ways. But I'm just wondering if there's a subclass I'm forgetting that might work better? What class gives the best "magic" feel, without using any actual magic?

NontheistCleric
2023-08-07, 01:06 AM
Thief Rogue is literally perfect for this. Totally mundane, but you have the swiftness of a Wizard on Expeditious Retreat, can climb like a Sorcerer with Spider Climb (I mean, not exactly, but put one Expertise in Athletics and you're halfway there), and jump further than anyone of your slight build should be able to.

In combat, your dodging is uncanny–almost like magic. You can slip out of an enemy's reach with a practised misdirection, and even do all your Sleight of Hand tricks (definitely another Expertise here) fast enough to make a difference in a fight. Not to mention that you vanish like nobody's business. Bonus action Hide or Invisibility spell?

Take the Healer feat and you have close-range Healing Words up your sleeve. That's what it is, right? Surely not a healer's kit you bought for 5 gp (or stole, Olidammara forbid). Anyway, your hands are too fast for anyone to tell.

Finally, if you fake it long enough, even if you never get your own magic back, then at least you can still kind of make it with Use Magic Device. In fact, you can bypass some limits with this that most actual spellcasters couldn't.

LudicSavant
2023-08-07, 01:29 AM
Thief Healer, Phantom Rogue, Mercy Monk, Dex Echo Knight, Dex Rune Knight, Dex Psychic Warrior

If you want Charisma to be useful on a mostly-martial, maybe take 13 and dip Hexblade on a Fighter (if you don't mind having just a little magic). Really, there's not a whole lot that Charisma's used for aside from magic, alas. Other than, I don't know, qualifying for Inspiring Leader I guess?

Psychic Warrior will make use of Intelligence.

I've also got this guy (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24673886&postcount=511) who is explicitly a non-caster echo knight shaman who does a lot of magic-ish (but not actually magic) things, but he is, alas, Strength-based.

Thief Rogue is literally perfect for this. Totally mundane, but you have the swiftness of a Wizard on Expeditious Retreat, can climb like a Sorcerer with Spider Climb (I mean, not exactly, but put one Expertise in Athletics and you're halfway there), and jump further than anyone of your slight build should be able to.

In combat, your dodging is uncanny–almost like magic. You can slip out of an enemy's reach with a practised misdirection, and even do all your Sleight of Hand tricks (definitely another Expertise here) fast enough to make a difference in a fight. Not to mention that you vanish like nobody's business. Bonus action Hide or Invisibility spell?

Take the Healer feat and you have close-range Healing Words up your sleeve. That's what it is, right? Surely not a healer's kit you bought for 5 gp (or stole, Olidammara forbid). Anyway, your hands are too fast for anyone to tell.

Finally, if you fake it long enough, even if you never get your own magic back, then at least you can still kind of make it with Use Magic Device. In fact, you can bypass some limits with this that most actual spellcasters couldn't.

Great suggestion. Thief Healer's a fun one, and you've got a fair few tricks you can do with bonus action object use.

As for the "sorcerer with spider climb," bit, I suggest keeping in mind that you can use the Climber's Kit special action as a bonus action to secure yourself to a surface!

Grab ball bearings and caltrops and the like for some little 'control spells.'

NontheistCleric
2023-08-07, 01:45 AM
Good points on the object use, Ludic.

Also, there's just so much 'magic' and magic-adjacent stuff that can be done with Expertise. Read people so well it's like you're telepathic. Persuade them so effectively it's like a Friends cantrip–only they don't even get mad at you afterwards. Be the equal of all but the best wizards at Arcana.

Arkhios
2023-08-07, 02:01 AM
Alright, character concept. He's a lizardfolk, and his tribe puts a high degree of respect on magic. He was born with some magical talent, and throughout all of his childhood he was told he'd be destined for great things because of it. Believing he was a shoe-in to be the next shaman of the tribe some day, he was devastated when, just before adolescence, he lost his magical ability. Something to do with the Feywild, the DM just told us to have our characters lose something very important to them during their childhood, and I chose his magic, though I'm not clear on the how or why. Maybe it'll return over the course of the campaign, though I'm working under the assumption it will not. Well, without his magic, but obsessed with magic, he became a street magician. Sleight of hand and card tricks and bunnies in hats and all of that. Though I'd probably need to include some less-traditional magic routines, like sword swallowing or knife throwing, to explain away why he carries weapons and is capable in combat.

The question is, what class should I choose for a magician who has zero actual magic? My first thought was Echo Knight Fighter, as the duplicate can play into the whole sleight of hand misdirection sort of thing. But, echo knights mechanically want high strength and constitution, and my backstory would want high dexterity (for sleight of hand) and probably a decent intelligence or charisma too (as a former caster and current performer), and I feel like I'm spread way too thin that way. Now story is way more important than mechanics, if echo knight fits best, than echo knight it is, even if I do have to spread my stats five ways. But I'm just wondering if there's a subclass I'm forgetting that might work better? What class gives the best "magic" feel, without using any actual magic?

I would say Rogue. As mentioned before, Thief is especially good one because at higher levels they get the ability to use magic devices, including cast spells from scrolls etc. as if they were on their respective class spell list, which is pretty good. Plus, Thief gets one of the best cunning actions in the game (imho): Fast Hands.

Another (wild card) option could be Warlock, with the Archfey Patron, accepting that you have lost your ability to cast spells (both cantrips and 1st level and above), but otherwise keeping your class abilities until further notice. For example you might use invocations and pact boon normally, and potentially spells from scrolls if you found them, etc, but not use your cantrips or pact magic slots for the time being. Assuming this loss of important thing isn't long term and you'd get them back sooner rather than later (probably should ask from DM if it's reasonable to expect that your group finds the lost and found box soon-ish). Alternatively, you could just simply roleplay that you're unable to cast spells until your DM shows you green light that your PC has "regained the ability" to do so. Now, this is self-imposed nerf to your character, but it might be interesting set up to start a campaign.
Nevermind, heard from someone who apparently recognized the adventure in question that the latter idea wouldn't work, so feel free to ignore it.

RSP
2023-08-07, 06:51 AM
Well, this would absolutely be “sacrificing for RP”, and you could work with your DM on how to “gain back your magic”, but if you have the determination:

Bard

Go Bard and don’t use your spells, other than Cantrips (maybe). Bards have Expertise for your skills, the right Abilities to focus on for your wants (Cha and Dex), can use Inspiration to help teammates (which could be “magic” if you RP it that way - other PCs might think it’s magic that they’re always more successful around you).

Could go Lore to lean into Inspiration use with Cutting Words, and use Vicious Mockery in combat.

Could go Valor if you want a little more combat omph sans magic.

Then, when you (and DM perhaps) decide the time is right for your PC to regain their magic, BOOM, you now have a bunch of magic at your fingertips.

And their spell list allows for a shaman-themed caster, if you eventually recover your magic.

It’ll take RP dedication to not use your spells but this works. Personally, I also would rather do this than play a non-magic class/subclass and try to then have the DM work in the PC getting magic back somehow (which if a full classes PC, is way to power gamer for my tastes - it’s like asking for a gestalt character).

Alternatively, if Bard without spells is too far in the RP direction, you can do Ranger or Ancients Paladin (or any 1/3rd subclass) and likewise just not use the spells until you “get your magic back”. Paladin would let you Smite so you’re still using your resources.

All these suggestions operate under the idea that you will, at some point, get your magic back (Paladin can be forever just Smiting), so maybe ask the DM if something like this would work before making the commitment.

Just make sure you let the table know your PC isn’t the typical Bard/Ranger/etc, so they aren’t expecting more out of your character before they regain their magic.

(Side note: I’m playing a Drow CS Sorc currently that, for RP-reasons, didn’t really have much in spells past what regular Drow can do (including taking the Drow High Magic spells as Sorc spell selections) and just used Cantrips up until about level 7 or 8. I play him like a fighter, and stuck to spells that weren’t overtly “magic”, or refluffed them for my purposes - like Aid being more of an Inspirational Leader ability or Shield just being preternatural quickness to avoid attacks. I also heavily used Subtle so there wasn’t any actual casting but ask your DM what they’re willing to work with if trying this: they may handwave components for a smaller pool of less “optimal” spells reimagined as mundane abilities.

At level 8, I decided the story events were there to have him realize his sorcerous abilities, then ripped through a bunch of 3rd and 4th level spells in a combat to show his power.

I liked how it played out in RP, though it does take patience and planning/control not to just rely on the typical spell selections during combat.)

Unoriginal
2023-08-07, 07:03 AM
I third the Thief Rogue suggestion.

Hope you go for the full "robe and pointy hat with astrological symbols" getup. Or for the stage magician's "top hat and tuxedo" one.