PDA

View Full Version : Player Help One Shot Rune Knight

Gayle_Force
2023-08-08, 08:15 AM
Looking to make a grappling focused rune knight for a one shot.

Mostly looking for input/advice on Race, Feat/ASIs, and free uncommon magic item choice.

DM had us roll attributes and I got, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10, 9. Essentially an upgraded standard array.

For my lvl 4 feat I was thinking skill expert for expertise in athletics, but curious if tavern brawler may be better.

For race, the main two I was looking at were Vuman (extra feat) and Duergar (go huge at lvl 3). I am open to other suggestions.

For magic item, I am the least set. I have considered Eldritch Claw Tattoo for +accuracy, damage and a one fight extended reach. I guess one concern is bonus action clog though. Another idea is the Dragon Insignia to simply have the +accuracy/damage with unarmed attacks but seems maybe a little boring. Another idea was Winged Boots to allow me to grapple any flying enemies if it comes up.

Thank you in advance for any advice provided.

stoutstien
2023-08-08, 08:24 AM
I'd go for a race that has extra limbs as far a grappling goes over the extra feat. loxodon would be my pet fav option.

Gayle_Force
2023-08-08, 09:10 AM
I'd go for a race that has extra limbs as far a grappling goes over the extra feat. loxodon would be my pet fav option.

If Loxodon, what feat/ASI would you recommend as well as uncommon magic item?

Trask
2023-08-08, 09:21 AM
On my Rune Knight I went for the Unarmed Fighting Style and it works out quite nicely. I can wear and shield and punch/grapple. Drawing and stowing weapons rules are fairly generous so its not a problem.

Gayle_Force
2023-08-08, 09:30 AM
On my Rune Knight I went for the Unarmed Fighting Style and it works out quite nicely. I can wear and shield and punch/grapple. Drawing and stowing weapons rules are fairly generous so its not a problem.

I was definitely looking at the unarmed fighting style.

What would be your recommendations for race, feat/ASIs, and an uncommon magic item?

stoutstien
2023-08-08, 09:44 AM
If Loxodon, what feat/ASI would you recommend as well as uncommon magic item?

If we are talking about a one shot I'd say go off the wall with the item. Robe of useful items or whatnot.

**In bad wrestling announcer voice over "wait. Wait Wait. Yes it is! They are pulling out a ladder and a rowboat...**

Gayle_Force
2023-08-08, 09:57 AM
If we are talking about a one shot I'd say go off the wall with the item. Robe of useful items or whatnot.

**In bad wrestling announcer voice over "wait. Wait Wait. Yes it is! They are pulling out a ladder and a rowboat...**

You know, if not for another player already taking that item, I think that would be a lot of fun... I guess I could still do it using theirs.

stoutstien
2023-08-08, 10:00 AM
You know, if not for another player already taking that item, I think that would be a lot of fun... I guess I could still do it using theirs.

Oil of slipperiness greased pig/elephant?

tw0jaye
2023-08-08, 10:57 AM
Skill expert is fantastic for sure, and if you have room for a second feat shield master to get the shove part of your grapple+shove out as a bonus action (though unless youre a race with extra grappling appendages this forfeits the use of a weapon while grappling)

Hexborn is my favourite race for this, as hexing your opponent's strength/dex checks to escape your grapples is a huge numerical advantage, and it can provide a nice damage boost too. The rune knight fighter I'm playing is just a straight hexborn, but if your dm allows you can put the hexborn template on top of a base race for some added goodness.

LudicSavant
2023-08-08, 04:40 PM
I was definitely looking at the unarmed fighting style.

What would be your recommendations for race, feat/ASIs, and an uncommon magic item?

If you go for unarmed, it's critical that you get an item that lets your unarmed strikes do magic damage; I recommend the Eldritch Claw Tattoo.

Master O'Laughs
2023-08-08, 09:49 PM
If you go for unarmed, it's critical that you get an item that lets your unarmed strikes do magic damage; I recommend the Eldritch Claw Tattoo.

Ludic, at lvl 5, how many enemies have resistance to non-magical bludgeoning damage? Though the increased accuracy/damage is nothing to scoff at for sure.

LudicSavant
2023-08-08, 10:07 PM
Ludic, at lvl 5, how many enemies have resistance to non-magical bludgeoning damage? Though the increased accuracy/damage is nothing to scoff at for sure.

Enough for me to recommend having an answer to those foes. Besides, it scales well with Action Surge anyways.

Aside from that, anything that boosts your mobility (or lets you fly) is usually very nice for a Rune Knight. Especially if you have a hazard caster in your party, these may be even more worth it than a magic weapon (since those magic resistant foes? You can cheese grater them)

Gayle_Force
2023-08-09, 07:15 AM
Enough for me to recommend having an answer to those foes. Besides, it scales well with Action Surge anyways.

Aside from that, anything that boosts your mobility (or lets you fly) is usually very nice for a Rune Knight. Especially if you have a hazard caster in your party, these may be even more worth it than a magic weapon (since those magic resistant foes? You can cheese grater them)

The idea of a flying Giant is rather appealing.

I think I am locking into Duergar or something that gives a feat (Vuman or Custom Lineage). Of those 2/3 choices, which would you recommend?

If I went Vuman/Custom, The idea would be to grab tavern brawler in addition to Skill Expert so I can use the enemies I grapple as weapons :)

KorvinStarmast
2023-08-09, 07:23 AM
For race, the main two I was looking at were Vuman (extra feat) and Duergar (go huge at lvl 3). I am open to other suggestions. You get large at level 3 for a minute when needed as a Rune Knight, so you don't necessarily need the Duergar trait. I suggest vHuman for the extra skill proficiency and the extra feat, which allows you to have both Tavern Brawler and Skill expert by level 4.
I took Skill Expert (Athletics) with my Rune Knight.

If you can get Eldritch Claw Tattoo for +accuracy, damage and a one fight extended reach that would surely help. :smallsmile:

stoutstien
2023-08-09, 07:35 AM
You get large at level 3 for a minute when needed as a Rune Knight, so you don't necessarily need the Duergar trait. I suggest vHuman for the extra skill proficiency and the extra feat, which allows you to have both Tavern Brawler and Skill expert by level 4.
I took Skill Expert (Athletics) with my Rune Knight.

If you can get Eldritch Claw Tattoo for +accuracy, damage and a one fight extended reach that would surely help. :smallsmile:
Duregar gets you discount huge sooner due to the way it stacks with RK. Cute but don't think it's worth the action or racial cost unless it's what you are going for as a theme.

Clause
2023-08-12, 03:53 PM
Duregar gets you discount huge sooner due to the way it stacks with RK. Cute but don't think it's worth the action or racial cost unless it's what you are going for as a theme.

AND you can pick a cursed iten to be the most horrorfull nightmare for all enemies. Hellround manttle.

step one: turn yourself a hellhound
step two: turn a huge creature with giant might
step 3: get one more height category from Duergar

now you are a gargantua hellhound!!

Gayle_Force
2023-08-17, 07:12 AM
So I decided to back track a little and end up finalizing Loxodon as my race.

For the magic item, I cleared with the DM that a Hat of Disguise could make me look like a human (just have to watch out for bumping into people). The idea is to look like an obese man to disguise the fact I am an elephant until I grapple someone in combat with my trunk or use Giant's Might and allow it to drop. It thought keeping this from the party would be a fun reveal.

For attributes, my rolls were 16,15,14,12,10,9 and using Tasha's custom lineage rules, I can give myself + STR & CON. For my level 4 feat I have two thoughts and want to get a final consensus of if both are fine or one is clearly better than the other. Also, if even, tie would go to the option allowing more flavor.

Skill expert or Tavern Brawler. Also, 18 STR, 16 CON or 16 STR, 18 CON?

The nice part of 18 CON is I don't even need basic heavy armor because my natural armor would be just as good. Also, my saving throws for Fire and Stone rune would be even better. This makes me gravitate towards Skill expert to increase chances of successful grapples.

More STR to allow easier to hit, would make me lean towards Tavern Brawler and getting another way to grapple.

either against small enemies or medium enemies when using Giant's might, the thought would be to grapple and use them as improvised weapons against each other.

Current party is looking to be hexblade, grave cleric, thief rogue, and moon druid (still hasn't finalized but leaning that way). If he does go moon druid, I could see about him always preparing spiked growth to increase my damage output.

KorvinStarmast
2023-08-17, 08:12 AM
AND you can pick a cursed iten to be the most horrorfull nightmare for all enemies. Hellround manttle.

step one: turn yourself a hellhound
step two: turn a huge creature with giant might
step 3: get one more height category from Duergar

now you are a gargantua hellhound!! There's a lovely serving of cheese. :smallsmile:

So I decided to back track a little and end up finalizing Loxodon as my race.

For attributes, my rolls were 16,15,14,12,10,9 and using Tasha's custom lineage rules, I can give myself + STR & CON. Custom Lineage or Loxodon? Which is it? You have confused me. I think those two are mutually exclusive. (As I understand Tasha's treatment of CL).

Skill expert or Tavern Brawler. Also, 18 STR, 16 CON or 16 STR, 18 CON?
I'll suggest skill expert based on my experience, but I can't argue against Tavern Brawler. As to Higher Con or Higher STR ... how many encounters per day do you think this DM runs? The advantage of 18 STR is more chance to hit, the advantage of 18 con besides saves and HP is that a few more folks won't save versus your fire rune. Restrained enemies can be shredded. I have S 18 C 16 for my human Rune Knight, but I could have gone the other way.

The nice part of 18 CON is I don't even need basic heavy armor because my natural armor would be just as good. Also, my saving throws for Fire and Stone rune would be even better. This makes me gravitate towards Skill expert to increase chances of successful grapples.
Yep.

Current party is looking to be
hexblade,
grave cleric,
thief rogue,
and moon druid

Looks like a good team.

Dualight
2023-08-17, 09:09 AM
Custom Lineage or Loxodon? Which is it? You have confused me. I think those two are mutually exclusive. (As I understand Tasha's treatment of CL).

I think I see what your confusion is, there are the Customizing Your Origin rules, of which the option to reassign any Ability Score Increases from race to different Ability Scores (like moving the +1 WIS of the Loxodon to STR) is the one in use here, and there is the Custom Lineage option (+2 to one Ability Score, 1 feat, 1 skill or darkvision, Medium or Small size).

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Gayle_Force
2023-08-17, 09:37 AM
I think I see what your confusion is, there are the Customizing Your Origin rules, of which the option to reassign any Ability Score Increases from race to different Ability Scores (like moving the +1 WIS of the Loxodon to STR) is the one in use here, and there is the Custom Lineage option (+2 to one Ability Score, 1 feat, 1 skill or darkvision, Medium or Small size).

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Yes, what you said!

Another tally on the side of 18 CON is we are rolling for hit points as well (rerolling 1s) so more Con allows me a greater degree of survivability if I roll bad.

This would be my first time playing with this DM so I do not know his preferences as far as running the game.