PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe RPG from Renegade Studios- Some Thoughts

Easy e
2023-08-08, 10:59 AM
Greetings all,

I finally caved into my nostalgia and picked up the "new" G.I. Joe: The Role-Playing Game from Renegade Studios.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhgAltECDGyjHBPXhSglrdeh20hp1aVZirxsbLe_Pu-DdwMXYVU7bRLXBT-dYUerJimvXTew08X7PBGawqzdMFY4ZZh8dA4wJQZUy3M82W_D7 fHhk_XAVfzliJX8wfAlmXybPPKFSmlL7bu26NT1lqyuydRpP8i g3yoDUhIdgTcUg-_-QcYyZ9xo-xQ/s320/IMG_3268.HEIC

I read through the rules, put together some sample characters, and started putting together a starting adventure. After that, I decided to write up some of my thoughts. Most of these thoughts are elaborated on in my blog here:

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2023/08/rpg-review-gi-joe-role-playing-game.html

However, for the sake of discussion I will try to hit some of the big take-aways here for discussion purposes.

First Things First
The game uses Renegade Studios in-house Essence 20 System. They use this with their Transformers, Power Rangers, and MLP game. You can theoretically use characters from all of these together in 1 really weird RPG if you wanted too. Therefore, this is a D20+some other Dice system looking for a Target Number for success. You have three Essence Stats that then give you points towards the + dice in some skills. It is really obvious that this game takes a lot of inspiration from D&D 5E as it uses a leveling, class, and Feat (By another name) system.

Things I Liked
- Essence system is easy to grasp
- Robust character creation, including some personality pieces too
- Exploration rules
- Defeat does not equal dead
- Looks really cool

Things I Did Not Like
- Not a big fan of using D20 for this genre
- Lots of special and situational rules of questionable value
- Way too crunchy for a Saturday Morning Cartoon game
- Social is an after-thought with rules scattered in the Combat section
- Weak GM section

Meh and Other Uncertainties
- Online QRS and Character Sheets available
- This game covers a LOT of kit from weapons, equipment, vehicles, drones, and animal companions
- There is a basic Meta-Currency called Story Points
- Has a simple starting adventure for 4-5 Joes that takes about 4 hours to play

There are my thoughts in a nutshell.

At the end of the day, I think the game is way to crunchy to pull off the type of game I would want to play using G.I. Joe as the basis. It apes too much from D&D 5E and wants us to lean into tactical combat which makes sense for a Military Sim. However, this is not a Military Sim, this is a Saturday Morning adventure cartoon/comic book. Therefore, I think they leaned into the wrong components and this game is way to crunchy for a fun, easy nostalgia game.

That doesn't mean it is not fun. Some people prefer that type of Crunchy game. If that is your jam, you might really like this. However, there is so much stuff that I can't help but think many of the rules interactions, overlaps, and edge cases may leave you flipping through the book looking for answers that are not there.

If you have read, played, or GMed the game I would love to hear your thoughts on the game!

ngilop
2023-08-08, 03:52 PM
If you are interested in a G I Joe game... might I suggest Spycraft 2.0's Real American H.E.R.O.s.

They also have add ons for transformers, Gargoyles, and ghostbuster. Of a Saturday morning cartoon thing is what you want, there is also that toon RPG that I am currently drawing a blank on at the moment.