PDA

View Full Version : Ahathi, the Flowing Power [Vestige] [I have no idea what I'm doing]

AstralFire
2007-12-07, 04:51 PM
Okay, a potential incoming player requested playing a binder; given some of the nature of the class, I felt it meshed particularly well with some events of our campaign, and requested he have a special vestige. This is the first time I have ever even looked at Tome of Magic, so any help you could lend me in making sure this is a good vestige would be awesome.

I do not want the effective level to be above 4, as he is level 7.

Ahathi, the Flowing Power
http://theanteheroes.com/Ashbane/AhathiVestige.png
Vestige Level: 4th
Binding DC: 25
Special Requirement: Yes

One man who would stand against the blade of justice became the One Man who could stand against the fallen edge of the heavens. His reasons, however, are always his own.

Special Requirement: As Ahathi is not a true vestige, in order to summon his likeness you must possess his watery blade, Devouring Stream. Simply holding the weapon and imagining his symbol in your head is enough for Devouring Stream to follow suit; you can then place the weapon on a flat surface to serve as the seal.

Legend: Not quite a vestige and not quite a soul, the being known as Ahathi fluxes in-between - much as he floated through life. A merchant of Sharn, a Paladin of the Silver Flame, a lover of Midgianna Sourner, a incarnate of Ashbane, and an eldritch blade of his own devising - these are the fivefold legacies of one man.

It's not known what encounter led the young Ahathi to forsake the Silver Flame, but at some point in his life he came across the dark priestess Midgianna, drank of her power, and it changed his life forever. He and his family fell into darkness within the Ashbane, servitors of those who claimed themselves to be the Dark Six. They rose to new riches, and the nobles were forced to acknowledge their presence, elevating them to ever-higher honors. He learned to dabble into dark and terrible magics of the soul, powers that could drive an ordinary man to the brink and hurl him over. He spent much time in these arts, abducting a new subject to test on whenever the last had had his soul shattered beyond repair.

Now he had drunk of power, and was mad for more... but his clever mind knew that he could not usurp his masters as he stood. The fallen paladin devised a plan to fake his death before the eyes of his fellow cultists, knowing they would carry word to the Six. Then, as his parents were stuck in mourning, he reappeared and bound their souls to his own, making them his slaves and agents. For years afterward, he delved into the soul arts, while secretly acting to undermine their powers.

When later he found brave spirits of power and will enough to face the Six, Ahathi sent for them; though at first they were eager to receive his help against the cult, they soon learned of the many souls he had captured and broken in his efforts to master soul magic. Unwilling to ally with such a man, they turned on him and fought him. Much of the battle's events are unknown; some say that he sacrificed his soul to save them, even after their betrayal. Others claim that it was no sacrifice at all, but all part of an elaborate plan - Ahathi had always loved to play his games, after all.

Whatever the truth, Ahathi will readily form a pact with anyone who seeks to destroy the Dark Six or claim powers and mastery untold.

Manifestation: When summoned, the watery sword of Ahathi erupts into a steaming geyser which leaves an imprint of his seal engraved on the surface. The geyser continues to erupt and steam until the entire area is shrouded in fog. From the mists, a short middle-aged man emerges, wearing a hooded brown cloak. He is dark-haired, with a thick beard, and beady blue eyes that never leave you. He engages in some light banter with the summoner, laughing uproariously, always leaving the impression that there's a greater joke you have yet to understand.

Sign: When a binder makes a pact with the Flowing Power, his left hand and forearm turn into translucent, navy blue water that continually runs like a raging river. A static, black mark spirals around the hand and down the forearm, never moving no matter the speed of the water.

Influence: Under the influence of Ahathi, you seek to challenge yourself and attain new levels of power, often at personal risk to yourself. You constantly laugh and make light banter, but underneath it all, you're scheming, and a cold disregard for those much weaker than you - or those who have attained power without effort - sets in. Your tongue is no less sharp for those whom you respect, but you attempt to mock to teach in that case.

Granted Abilities: Ahathi gives you some of the skill for swordbattle he had in life, along with much of his natural talent for lies and magic.

River Rapids: While you are bound to Ahathi, you move with great speed, fluidity, and grace. You gain a +10 profane bonus to all movement speeds, and a +1 profane bonus to Initiative for every six effective levels of binder you possess.

False Mark of the Ashbane: You are considered to have the Mark of the Ashbane and can use any portals or magic items which require its usage. However, you do not gain any special qualities or attacks granted by the actual mark, and are not subject to the "Execute Servitor" ability of the Dark Six.

River of Rage: You can transform an object you hold into living water and use it to strike your foes. As a standard action, you can make a melee touch attack with your left-hand weapon against a single opponent within 250 feet, as long as you have line of effect to the target. A successful attack requires the target to make a Fortitude Saving Throw of (DC 10 + 1/2 effective binder level + Cha modifier). If they fail this save, they take a negative level. Once you have used this ability you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

Arcane Plans within Plans: Being bound to Ahathi grants you a +5 bonus to Bluff, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device checks.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-07, 06:08 PM
...why "left-hand"?

AstralFire
2007-12-07, 06:10 PM
...why "left-hand"?

Small note of flavor. The arm that gets turned to water is your left arm. As of 3.5, left is not necessarily off-hand, so it should not be an issue.

AstralFire
2007-12-08, 11:54 AM
I guess it's okay?

Lady Tialait
2007-12-08, 02:52 PM
looks good to me. I've played two binders...Mind if I swag this for my next one?

AstralFire
2007-12-08, 04:57 PM
looks good to me. I've played two binders...Mind if I swag this for my next one?

Sure thing. :D I'd change the Special Requirement to something like "the water used to cool a freshly forged blade," and the 'False Mark of Ashbane' power would act as a Protection from Evil effect instead.