PDA

View Full Version : Discord AI DM - Fables and Friends

Dr.Samurai
2023-08-09, 03:34 PM
A friend put me onto this (https://www.fables.gg/) last night. I actually gave it a shot; it's pretty rudimentary as far as what it can handle (doesn't do inventory, it doesn't seem to do class features or proficiencies, etc.). When you attack, you just describe the attack; it doesn't actually care what you're attacking with.

But the generative dialogue is actually impressive, at least to a newbie like me that doesn't know what AI is capable of currently. I did a quest to help a farm being raided by goblins, and instead of immediately rushing in to attack, I tried to see what the AI was capable of. It was actually interesting. I tried sneaking (failed) and the goblins confronted me. I told them I could help them find secret treasure on the farmland, and that I knew about it because the farmer asked me to move the boulder it was partially buried under. The goblins were skeptical but curious (no check required), so they followed me away from the farm. Perception was required to spot a boulder like the one I described, I brought the goblins over. The AI described a hole big enough for a small creature to crawl into. I tried to convince one to crawl in so I can fight them with one less goblin, failed the check. I attacked.

Like I said, it's pretty straight-forward, and I don't see myself playing this for hours at a time. But I do like how it responded to my speech and actions.

If anyone else has checked it out, what are your thoughts?

tokek
2023-08-09, 04:00 PM
I was one of the early people onto that and I’m still on the server although I’m not actively playing right now.

I agree with most of your comments - it’s much better at storytelling than it is at the mechanics. I think the team are working to put as much of that mechanical stuff into conventional code as they can while leaving the storytelling to the language model because that’s where it’s strongest.

KorvinStarmast
2023-08-09, 04:02 PM
Discord keeps asking me to sign up for a paid subscription ... do you have to have nitro to use that thing?

If anyone else has checked it out, what are your thoughts? If I wanted to play with a computer, I'd log into my Diablo 4 account and play it (one can play solo or be in a party).
Or I'd put Neverwinter knights back on my PC. Or play Starcraft. Or down load that utter pig that is Baldurs Gate III (120+ gigs????) and fire that up. Haven't touched it since the beta.

I use Discord to communicate and play with other people, not with a computer. So far, it costs me nothing.

Dr.Samurai
2023-08-09, 04:06 PM
I was one of the early people onto that and I’m still on the server although I’m not actively playing right now.

I agree with most of your comments - it’s much better at storytelling than it is at the mechanics. I think the team are working to put as much of that mechanical stuff into conventional code as they can while leaving the storytelling to the language model because that’s where it’s strongest.
Yeah, for some reason I'm having trouble copying the text from the game to put here so I can show examples of how the AI responds to prompts. It's pretty good.

My friend thought it might allow us to play together over Discord. He still hasn't accepted the invite from last night, but having played it myself, I don't think, for now, this will work out. It's too simple I think.

If I wanted to play with a computer, I'd log into my Diablo 4 account and play it (one can play solo or be in a party).
Or I'd put Neverwinter knights back on my PC. Or play Starcraft. Or down load that utter pig that is Baldurs Gate III (120+ gigs????) and fire that up. Haven't touched it since the beta.

I use Discord to communicate and play with other people, not with a computer.
This is 1000% a different experience to playing something like Diablo 4. And you can have up to 4 people playing the game together, so it is intended to be playing with other people. But the DM is instead an AI.

stoutstien
2023-08-09, 04:30 PM
Id rather have a brute force "AL" player just for the laughs.

"Why is AL the fighter eating a table?"

tokek
2023-08-10, 01:50 AM
This is 1000% a different experience to playing something like Diablo 4. And you can have up to 4 people playing the game together, so it is intended to be playing with other people. But the DM is instead an AI.

The only computer game you can really compare it with would be the very old text adventure games like Zork. This is what 40 years of tech advances can to to Zork.

You can play as a group and superficially it feels like playing a discord game of DnD with a DM. But handling the full complexity of the DnD game is still rather beyond it.

It’s a very interesting experiment and I’m staying in touch with it. The underlying AI had some big api improvements not so long ago and I’m interested to see how they can utilise those for it. But for now it’s just nowhere near as good as a human DM