PDA

View Full Version : 5e-Way of the Water-PEACH

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-10, 03:10 PM
Way of Water

Followers of the way of water are both calm and serene as well as quick and deadly. Monks of this order understand that water can be found and exploited in many surprising ways.

-Disciple of Water: At 3rd level, your connection to the life giving waters of the world grant you amazing powers. You gain the following benefits:
-Amphibious: You gain a swim speed equal to your base speed. If you already have a swim speed, your swim speed increases by 10ft. Alternatively, you can spend 1 Ki point to walk on the water’s surface for 10 minutes.
-Frigid Strikes: By focusing your Ki you can choose for your unarmed attacks to deal cold damage instead of bludgeoning.

-Ice Veins: At 6th level, your increasing Ki control allows you to drop the temperature of water. You gain the following benefits:
-Razor Ice: You can spend 1 Ki point to cause ice to sheathe your limbs or weapons. This causes your weapon or unarmed attack to deal additional cold damage equal to your martial arts die. This effect lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
-Icicle: when you take the attack action you can replace any of your unarmed or weapon attacks with a dart of ice. This projectile deals cold damage equal to your martial arts die with a range of 60 feet.

-Scalding Breath: At 11th level, you gain the ability to superheat water and unleash it as a scalding breath weapon. As an action, you exhale searing hot steam in a 30ft cone. Each creature in that area must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Ki save DC, taking 3d4 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
You can increase this damage by spending Ki points. Each point you spend, up to a maximum of 3, increase the damage by 3d4.

-Blood Worker: At 17th level you gain a limited, but potent, command of the vital waters that fill mortal shells. As a bonus action you may spend 3 Ki points to use one of the following abilities:
-Blood Puppet: You exert control over the fluids in an opponents body and may force your will over them. You learn the Command spell. You can also choose to disrupt the flow of a body to cast Blindness or Deafness. You can spend additional Ki points to cast Command or Blindness/Deafness as higher level spells. Each additional Ki point you spend increases the spell’s level by 1. The maximum number of Ki points (2 plus any additional points) that you can spend on these spells equals half your monk level.
-Hemorrhage: In a gore filled show of violence you rip the blood from an enemies arteries and veins. A target within 30ft of you must make a Constitution saving throw against your Ki save DC, taking 8d12 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Once you use this feature you must finish a short rest before you can use it again.

These abilities do not effect enemies that do not possess blood or other bodily fluids.

JNAProductions
2023-08-10, 04:58 PM
Disciple
All good.

Ice Veins
Frigid is fine.
Razor Ice needs a duration. Probably until the start of your next turn-doing 2dMA+Dex instead of 1dMA+Dex is a pretty sizeable boost of raw damage.
Does Icicle have a long range?

Scalding Breath
3d4 just feels awkward. Probably not unbalanced, though.

And I have to get going to a doctor-so that's all the feedback for now.

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-11, 11:22 PM
-Razor Ice: You can spend 1 Ki point to cause ice to sheathe your limbs or weapons. This causes your weapon or unarmed attack to deal additional cold damage equal to your martial arts die. This effect lasts until the beginning of your next turn.

As for range on icicle I was leaning more towards just a flat range as opposed to a normal and long range just to keep it simple.

Amechra
2023-08-12, 12:47 AM
So... is your goal for Razor Ice to completely blow every other damage boost that other Monk subclasses get out of the water? Because that's what doubling their MA die instead of making it a once-per-turn boost does. Now, it's fine if you think the Monk deals too little damage... but fixing that by just buffing one subclass instead of buffing the class itself is kinda silly, right?

This subclass overall feels really... unfocused. Let's go down the list:

3rd level gives you a swim speed and water walking, which feels like a pretty heavy overlap. You also get Thorn Whip which... doesn't work with Martial Arts or anything else, so there's not much of a use for it. If your campaign isn't, I dunno, a maritime adventure, this all seems pretty situational.
6th level gives you a pretty crazy damage boost, in the form of Frigid Strikes + Razor Ice... and a ranged attack option, which makes Thorn Whip even more redundant.
11th level gives you... a fire breath with really strong scaling? What? I know that you're justifying it by going "it's steam!", but you're arguably giving them a better fire breath than the Ascendant Dragon can get.
17th level... OK, so we're bloodbenders now? This is something that only really makes thematic sense if you've watched Avatar, and feels kinda out of left field otherwise. Also, bear in mind that most Monk subclasses that get a super death move at 17th level (Open Hand, Long Death) don't get anything else at that level, and you've given them a really potent (if incredibly expensive) battlefield control option on top of said super death move.

Generally speaking, Monk subclasses are structured more like:

3rd level: You get your cool unique defining trick - Mercy Monks can heal or boost their damage, Kensei get better weapons, Shadow Monks get their ninja tricks, etc.
6th level: You usually get some kind of thematically appropriate utility feature - the only real exception I can think of is the Sun Soul Monk, and their thing is being poorly designed blasting.
11th level: Some kind of upgrade to your cool unique defining trick. Some subclasses get explicit damage bonuses, some get utility features, it all depends.
17th level: You get some kind of big flashy ultimate technique. Some subclasses just get a super death move, some get a passive upgrade to their schtick, and some of them get weirder stuff (like Mercy Monks getting to bring the dead back to life).

I think you have some cool ideas, but I don't think this is a very good execution of them. I'd go back to the drawing board and look at what you want the subclass to do again - how do you want it to fight? What do you want it to do outside of fights? What makes Water Monks cool and special?

RustyDemiGod
2023-08-12, 04:59 AM
Made a few revisions to the OP but I’ll have to consider it more when I don’t have sleep brain.

Many thanks Amechra the outline you gave about general monk structure is pretty helpful!

Still new to home brewing subclasses and hopefully I might get the hang of it