PDA

View Full Version : Gruumsh

Yeril
2007-12-07, 06:44 PM
Just a simple question, since ive seen conflicting evidence, In almost everywhere ive read, Gruumsh has two eyes, with one missing, But in almost every peice of artwork ive seen, Gruumsh is depicted as a one eyed cyclopion orc.

does anyone know which one of these is the more accurate?

Nakun
2007-12-07, 06:50 PM
I believe that the PHB stated that Gruumsh had two eyes until one was put out in a fight with Corellon Larethain. That's what I'd go off of unless WotC published something more canonical.

Dhavaer
2007-12-07, 07:00 PM
It's the same as dwarves. Dwarves are described as having deep tan or light brown skin, but try to find a picture of a non-white dwarf who isn't a gold dwarf. I think the illustrators just don't read the descriptions of what they're meant to be drawing.

Toliudar
2007-12-07, 07:51 PM
Alternately, since Gruumsh is a major deity, it's entirely possible for him to appear however the heck he wants. Fill your boots.

de-trick
2007-12-07, 07:58 PM
I think, his remaining eye socket moved to the center of his face after loosing his other eye to Corellon Larethain.

Suzuro
2007-12-07, 08:18 PM
As far as I know, it is a two eyed with one missing.

-Suzuro

Jack Zander
2007-12-07, 08:21 PM
Why do all these deities have eyes and hands missing? Can't they get a regenerate cast on them or something? I mean gosh, they're freakin' deities!

SadisticFishing
2007-12-07, 08:29 PM
Gruumsh, I think, leaves his eye out out of pure hatred for Corellan Larethian and elves. He only has 1 eye socket because he thinks it's scarier.

At least, that's my guess - Vecna can't get Regenerate cast on him though, as he is Undead.

Jack Zander
2007-12-07, 08:35 PM
At least, that's my guess - Vecna can't get Regenerate cast on him though, as he is Undead.

Okay, but he's still a freakin' deity. There are a hundred million ways for him to regenerate those missing parts. He could kill himself and respawn 1d10 days later, but being a deity I'm sure there are much easier and saver methods.

SadisticFishing
2007-12-07, 08:36 PM
Another "it's for effect" sorta thing, really, like... "look what happened to the last guy who betrayed me" sorta thing.

Sorta thing sorta thing.

RTGoodman
2007-12-07, 08:40 PM
Gruumsh, I think, leaves his eye out out of pure hatred for Corellan Larethian and elves. He only has 1 eye socket because he thinks it's scarier.

Also, don't members of the Eye of Gruumsh PrC get the ability to shoot acidic eye-goop out of their empty socket, or something like that? I'd bet Gruumsh probably does something like that, and that's much cooler than just having two eyes.

Xefas
2007-12-07, 08:43 PM
Maybe Gruumsh used his deific mind to figure out that D&D has no penalties for only being half-blind. I mean, maybe he took 10 million blind guys, 10 million normal sighted guys, and 10 million guys missing one eye, and made them whack at a target dummy, noted that the average hit/miss ratio was the same for normal and 1 eyed people, and decided to keep one eye poked out for the awesome factor.

Nostri
2007-12-07, 08:59 PM
@ Mr. Zander: There was probably something along the way in the history of D&D that said gods couldn't heal wounds created by other divine beings except through natural means. This (if it ever existed) has since been forgotten but because they've always had a missing eye/hand/leg/hair follicle it stayed in the fluff. Alternatively it's just infinitely more bad*ss to run around with a lump of scar tissue instead of an eye for some reason...

DraPrime
2007-12-07, 08:59 PM
Okay, but he's still a freakin' deity. There are a hundred million ways for him to regenerate those missing parts. He could kill himself and respawn 1d10 days later, but being a deity I'm sure there are much easier and saver methods.

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between just being stabbed in the eye, and having a mighty god of elves drive his divine super sword into your eye socket. Things like that just might not heal.

reorith
2007-12-07, 09:25 PM
Why do all these deities have eyes and hands missing? Can't they get a regenerate cast on them or something? I mean gosh, they're freakin' deities!

it makes them more awesome/badass

like how odin gave his eye for knowledge. that is a lot more impressive than "yeah i lost an eye for knowledge, but then i got it back cuz i'm a god."

gruumsh with his lost eye would serve as a constant reminder to all his kin about the feud. gaining it back would sort of absolve the elf god/dess from the injury.

Human Paragon 3
2007-12-07, 10:13 PM
Also, don't members of the Eye of Gruumsh PrC get the ability to shoot acidic eye-goop out of their empty socket, or something like that? I'd bet Gruumsh probably does something like that, and that's much cooler than just having two eyes.

No. Actually, they spit caustic lungeys into their enemies' eyes to blind them.

Ganurath
2007-12-07, 10:32 PM
Gruumsh before he lost his eye. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/row_gallery/86614.jpg)

The eyes of Gruumsh vomit in their opponent's eyes.

Gruumsh keeps himself limited to one eye because deities are shaped, to a limited degree, by the interpretation of the beliefs of mortals. Everyone who believes in him (or Correllon) has heard of the legendary battle between the gods of orcs and elves, so he's stuck with one eye. Likewise, folks know about how Vecna lost his eye and hand fighting Kas, so he's without those body parts.

Alternate theory: Gruumsh may be a god, but so was the one who took his eye. Whereas with Vecna, he wasn't a god when he lost it to an epic vampire.