PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Kaorti Longsword

RNightstalker
2023-08-11, 06:57 PM
So I'm looking at having a ribbon longsword made out of kaorti resin. My DM and I are just not able to figure out the retail price. Anyone have any insight to this or a formula to use for making kaorti ribbon weapons?

SimonMoon6
2023-08-11, 08:45 PM
The Fiend Folio page 110 has a kaorti ribbon dagger with a cost of only 50 gp. A dagger normally costs 2 gp so you could extrapolate from that, though I'm not sure exactly how. Should kaorti weapons cost 25 times as much as a normal weapon, meaning that a ribbon longsword would cost 15 times 25 gp = 375 gp?

Of course, that's assuming you can find someone to sell it as the fluff for kaortis make them unlikely to sell stuff to others.

But it's probably not worth it. Yes, that x4 crit looks totally juicy until you realize that that seems to totally replace the crit values the weapon normally had. The example of a kaorti ribbon dagger lost its 19-20 crit range when it got the x4 crit and that would probably be true for a longsword as well.

If you just want a weapon with a x4 crit, you're probably better off just buying a scythe. You don't have to deal with the fluff of those weird kaortis and so the DM's more likely to allow it.

Hopefully, no DM would be so insane as to allow a 19-20/x4 crit weapon into their world, especially not at an affordable price. Keep in mind that if you push the DM to allow such a weapon to be easily affordable, then accept that every enemy you will ever fight from then on would be a fool not to be armed with such a weapon too.

No brains
2023-08-11, 08:58 PM
If you lose the critical range of the former weapon, maybe go warmace and get a d12 weapon with a x4 multiplier.

Pinkie Pyro
2023-08-11, 09:13 PM
But it's probably not worth it. Yes, that x4 crit looks totally juicy until you realize that that seems to totally replace the crit values the weapon normally had. The example of a kaorti ribbon dagger lost its 19-20 crit range when it got the x4 crit and that would probably be true for a longsword as well.

The ribbon dagger being wrong doesn't change the fact kaorti resin changes the critical multiplier to X4.

Main topic: Cost wise, it's not very expensive, but the trick is getting it. depending on setting, you may want to PAO someone into a Kaorti, harvest the resin, and form it into a weapon, which sets you back 1200 if you have someone cast it directly or 3000 if cast from a scroll, and then whatever you end up crafting it with.

Darg
2023-08-12, 12:11 AM
A Mercurial Longsword is the same thing as a ribbon longsword. Threat on a 20, 4x multiplier, and requires exotic proficiency just the same, though a little heavier. You can find it in sword and fist for 400g.

pabelfly
2023-08-12, 04:30 AM
https://web.archive.org/web/20150910020412/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a

this process [of creating a Kaorti Resin weapon] costs the kaorti experience points equal to 50% of the market price for a masterwork item of the appropriate type

And

After that, a kaorti can reduce the cost to make a magic item by 5 gp for every XP spent... and it must spend at least 1/5th the base item's cost in XP

Therefore...

(300 (Masterwork Weapon cost) + 15 (Longsword)) / 2 (to get 50 of the cost%) x 5 (cost of converting XP loss to gold cost), or 787.5 GP.

Saintheart
2023-08-12, 10:37 PM
Hopefully, no DM would be so insane as to allow a 19-20/x4 crit weapon into their world, especially not at an affordable price. Keep in mind that if you push the DM to allow such a weapon to be easily affordable, then accept that every enemy you will ever fight from then on would be a fool not to be armed with such a weapon too.

The Minotaur Greathammer says hello.

animewatcha
2023-08-12, 11:09 PM
Wasn't the minotaur greathammer 'fixed' or something? Anyways, the background of kaorti is that it 'breaks down' after almost 2 years or so right? Gonna need a semi-reliable way to get back to them to 're-apply' the resin.

pabelfly
2023-08-12, 11:47 PM
Wasn't the minotaur greathammer 'fixed' or something? Anyways, the background of kaorti is that it 'breaks down' after almost 2 years or so right? Gonna need a semi-reliable way to get back to them to 're-apply' the resin.

The Kaorti pay the XP cost to make the item permanent.

InvisibleBison
2023-08-13, 07:16 AM
Anyways, the background of kaorti is that it 'breaks down' after almost 2 years or so right? Gonna need a semi-reliable way to get back to them to 're-apply' the resin.

Even if it wasn't possible for a kaorti to strengthen a resin item to last indefinitely, make whole can reset the clock. A problem that can be solved by casting a 2nd-level spell once every two years isn't a significant problem.

Inevitability
2023-08-13, 07:52 AM
Wasn't the minotaur greathammer 'fixed' or something?

Races of Stone has the Goliath Greathammer, which removes the doubled crit range but is otherwise identical. People pretty commonly call it an 'update', because, let's be fair, it's clearly intended to be a balanced version of the same weapon... but it's not quite the same name, so people try to use the minotaur version anyway.

RNightstalker
2023-08-14, 08:01 AM
(300 (Masterwork Weapon cost) + 15 (Longsword)) / 2 (to get 50 of the cost%) x 5 (cost of converting XP loss to gold cost), or 787.5 GP.

I don't think you can spend half an experience point, so I guess it would be 158 XP x 5 for 790 gp, plus the cost of the weapon itself, 315 gp. So would you agree that the total for a masterwork kaorti longsword to be 1,105 GP?

pabelfly
2023-08-14, 09:55 AM
I don't think you can spend half an experience point, so I guess it would be 158 XP x 5 for 790 gp, plus the cost of the weapon itself, 315 gp. So would you agree that the total for a masterwork kaorti longsword to be 1,105 GP?

Yes, looks right to me.