PDA

View Full Version : Spells for the Coffee Domain

Palanan
2023-08-12, 09:12 PM
This morning it occurred to me that surely decaf must be an abomination in the sight of the coffee gods.

From there I wondered what spells would work for the Coffee domain. Haste seems like a natural fit, but what about other the spell levels? What else would work here?

2023-08-12, 09:27 PM
Time Stop.

Jack_Simth
2023-08-12, 09:32 PM
Anything that increases speed, removes fatigue... so...

0: Create Coffee (summons one cup of hot coffee, in a paper cup)
1: Expeditious Retreat
2: Lesser Restoration
3: Haste
4: Poison (too much coffee is REALLY bad for you)
5: Raise Dead (but it can be good, too)
6: Contingency (you did the other spell really quickly, because you'd planned for it)
7: Instant Summons (it doesn't have the component, but it only works on coffee supplies of various natures )
8: Irresistible Dance (coffee jitters)
9: Foresight (you're highly caffeinated, so are paying more attention)
... OK, Time Stop's probably better for 9th.

Zanos
2023-08-12, 10:17 PM
I feel like anything that boosts initiative or allows more actions would fit also. Celerity lets you go NOW but you can't take an action next turn due to the caffeine crash. Nerveskitter, etc.

Inevitability
2023-08-13, 02:57 AM
Energize Potion and Quick Potion come to mind as thematic options, one of them could probably fill the 2nd-level slot.

Vizzerdrix
2023-08-13, 04:26 AM
I recall seeing a coffee like alchemical in a pathfinder book. Don't remember where though.

Inevitability
2023-08-13, 04:58 AM
Also I can't believe we haven't mentioned Remove Fatigue (BoED) yet; it completely negates the need for a day of sleep and removes fatigue/exhaustion. The Amnesia build in my extended sig makes heavy use of it (through illegal application of Extra Spell, but still).

Kurald Galain
2023-08-13, 05:18 AM
Anything that boosts perception and/or knowledge checks, like the Heightened Awareness spell.

Inevitability
2023-08-13, 06:27 AM
1: Rouse
2: Nerveskitter
4: Remove Fatigue
5: Celerity
6: ????
7: ????
8: Greater Celerity?
9: Time Stop

Personal thoughts so far, I upleveled Nerveskitter and Celerity because they're off-list and agreed to be really good anyway, no idea for the higher-levels spells though.

Troacctid
2023-08-13, 11:39 AM
There are several bard spells that give opponents the jitters, including Otto's Irresistible Dance, Otto's Imperative Ambulation, Jig of the Waves, and Resonating Agony.

Maat Mons
2023-08-13, 03:58 PM
If you can come up with enough ideas, you can make multiple coffee-related domains.

For those who like it hot, Heat Metal could be very convenient in making coffee. There are probably spells somewhere that involve hot water directly. If there aren’t, you can just slap some fire damage onto preexisting watery spells and call it a new spell one level higher.

For those who are fans of iced coffee, you can do something similar with cold spells. Even just ice spells would be good. People put actual ice cubes in iced coffee, right? I don’t drink coffee.

That domain that was posted with all the speed stuff could be the Caffeine domain.

The idea coffee being a restorative could maybe be its own domain. There are plenty of spells based on gaining benefits from eating conjured food. Maybe they could be rethemed to just conjure special coffees. Or maybe you like food with your coffee. If that’s the case, keep the food, and just specify that the drink that’s conjured is coffee.

Brew potion would be an obvious choice for a domain granted power.

Edit: And just as Hot Coffee and Iced Coffee are complementary domains, the Caffeine domain can have a Decaff counterpart. It would include spells that induce sleep.

SangoProduction
2023-08-13, 06:40 PM
Time Stop.

Someone's watched Futurama.

2023-08-13, 06:55 PM
Someone's watched Futurama.

More than Futurama (altho yes). Coffee letting already-hyperactive characters work at insane speeds (Girl Genius), run at super speed (Hoodwinked), or straight up stop time (Over The Hedge) is a fairly popular trope in less-than-realistic mediums.

Edit: If I had a nickel for every time consuming coffee let a character move so fast the world seemed to stand still, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice. :smalltongue:

RanceGreycastle
2023-08-13, 09:54 PM
From Pathfinder, I suggest Heightened Awareness.
In the hands of my Investigator, it's literally a liquid to drink.
I call it "My Famous Java."

I realize that the flavor isn't quite clericy, but I figured it bore mentioning.

Arael666
2023-08-14, 06:07 AM
Anything that increases speed, removes fatigue... so...

0: Create Coffee (summons one cup of hot coffee, in a paper cup)
1: Expeditious Retreat
2: Lesser Restoration
4: Poison (too much coffee is REALLY bad for you)
5: Raise Dead (but it can be good, too)
6: Contingency (you did the other spell really quickly, because you'd planned for it)
7: Instant Summons (it doesn't have the component, but it only works on coffee supplies of various natures )
8: Irresistible Dance (coffee jitters)
9: Foresight (you're highly caffeinated, so are paying more attention)
... OK, Time Stop's probably better for 9th.

We still need the granted domain power

Bartmanhomer
2023-08-14, 06:18 AM
Yo! Did someone say coffee? I love this thread! Big coffee fan by the way! :biggrin:

Kurald Galain
2023-08-14, 06:19 AM

You should probably get Brew Potion as a bonus feat.

Alternatively, you can imbue your weapon with the Power Of Coffee as a swift action. The next creature hit by your weapon becomes jittery (as the shaken condition, but this doesn't cause a shaken creature to become frightened) for one minute. A will save negates this effect, DC 10 + half level + wisdom.

Bartmanhomer
2023-08-14, 06:24 AM
This morning it occurred to me that surely decaf must be an abomination in the sight of the coffee gods.

From there I wondered what spells would work for the Coffee domain. Haste seems like a natural fit, but what about other the spell levels? What else would work here?

Have you thought about making a coffee deity yet?

Kurald Galain
2023-08-14, 06:26 AM
Have you thought about making a coffee deity yet?

And is he related to the Oh God of Hangovers (from the Discworld books)? :smalltongue:

Bartmanhomer
2023-08-14, 06:29 AM
I could see a medieval fantasy version of Starbucks playing a role as the main plot of the coffee theme campaign. :smile:

AnonJr
2023-08-14, 10:34 AM

SLA: Summon Cup of Coffee, at will.

My sister also suggested that one of the domain spells should be "Create Coffee" - Like a Druid's Create Water, but Coffee. :smallbiggrin:

Twurps
2023-08-14, 10:46 AM
SLA: Summon Cup of Coffee, at will.

My sister also suggested that one of the domain spells should be "Create Coffee" - Like a Druid's Create Water, but Coffee. :smallbiggrin:

Just don't quicken it. Instant coffee is never going to be as good as the real thing.

Bartmanhomer
2023-08-14, 04:09 PM
I figured out an idea for a Coffee Deity: Cofdor.

Maat Mons
2023-08-14, 04:18 PM
Whatever the coffee deity's name is, it needs to be a musang (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_palm_civet).

Bartmanhomer
2023-08-14, 04:26 PM
Whatever the coffee deity's name is, it needs to be a musang (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_palm_civet).

I love it. This is the best thread in GITP history! :smile:

rel
2023-08-14, 11:40 PM
How about a wisdom, movement speed, or initiative boost as a domain power?

SangoProduction
2023-08-15, 02:23 AM
Wisdom is actually an interesting idea.
A Coffee House domain, as opposed to a truly coffee domain.

NontheistCleric
2023-08-15, 03:18 AM
Have you considered throwing in a plant-related spell or two? Pay a little homage to where coffee comes from.

SangoProduction
2023-08-15, 04:07 AM
D&D 3.5e Coffee House Domain Spells:

1) Calm Emotions
2) Owl's Wisdom
3) Haste
4) Divination
5) Rary's Telepathic Bond
6) Hero's Feast
7) Sequester
8) Mind Blank
9) Time Stop

Coffee House Domain Ability:

Caffeinated Clarity: Once per day, as an immediate action after you or an ally within 30 feet fails a Will saving throw, you can grant a reroll with a bonus equal to half your cleric level (minimum +1).

Kurald Galain
2023-08-15, 04:29 AM
I figured out an idea for a Coffee Deity: Cofdor.

Drawmij.

Because he designed the classic spell Drawmij's Instant summons Coffee.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-08-22, 04:13 AM
Why is there no Control Water? On 6th level, Control Coffee. It's like Control Water, but it requires some coffee as material component, and the raise water version also transforms any affected water into coffee. It's good coffee, but it's also hot, dealing 1d4 damage/level to anyone submerged in it.
And on 7th level, Dark Tide. I mean, it's literally a dark tide! What could fit better in a coffee domain than a tide of blackwater?