PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for Prompt Spelldancer Entry for Full-Blooded Elf

Maat Mons
2023-08-13, 07:28 PM
The Requirements for Spelldancer are as follows:
Race: At least one-eighth elven blood
Skills: Concentration 4 ranks, Perform (dance) 6 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks.
Feats: Combat Casting, Dodge, Endurance, Mobility.
Spellcasting: Able to cast 3rd-level spells.

That’s easily doable as a Human Martial Wizard 5, with feats as follows:
1: Combat Casting
Human: Apprentice (Entertainer)
Wizard 1: Dodge or Expeditious Dodge
3: Endurance
Wizard 5: Mobility

Note that Desert Wind Dodge and Midnight Dodge aren’t Fighter bonus feats and Kobold Endurance doesn’t jibe with 1/8 elven blood.

To get in equally early as an Elf, all I can think to do is use flaws to gain more feats or use feats from magic items to meet prerequisites. I don’t generally like doing either of those things. Are there other options?

pabelfly
2023-08-13, 08:13 PM
There's the Aelfborn, or a half-human, half-elf hybrid from Dragon #307, p67. You get a bonus feat "related to your class", and I think Combat Casting fits the bill. It's a race based off an old MMO called Shadowbane, if that might be a turnoff for you.

Anthrowhale
2023-08-13, 09:44 PM
The 1/8th elven blood is a transcription error. The book does not state that.

Edit: Fire Elemental bloodline (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm) gets Dodge for free.

Maat Mons
2023-08-13, 10:17 PM
Déjà vu. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?657495-Magelord) Posts #22 and #23.

Gruftzwerg
2023-08-13, 10:46 PM
Dunno how you feel about cheese?

Shadahkar's Swift Wind (Sandals) - Dragon #324 8350g
Gives the Endurance feat

Bracers of Armor +1 + Mobility (effectively +2) 4000g
Gives Mobility

Heroics spell
gives you temporary a fighter bonus feat (pick Dodge)

Get down to sole Combat Casting as required feat tax to pick up.

As for the 6 ranks in perform: either be chaotic and pick up the Flexible Mind feat ( Dragon #326 ) to get 2 skills as class skills if you want to get in as early as possible without losing any caster lvl. Or take the Apprentice feat (if Dragon content is not allowed).

Paragon
2023-08-14, 01:15 AM
The Requirements for Spelldancer are as follows:
Race: At least one-eighth elven blood

You're mistaking Spelldancer and Spellsinger requirements. Unless you plan to take both, only the latter has the elven blood requirement.

To get in equally early as an Elf, all I can think to do is use flaws to gain more feats or use feats from magic items to meet prerequisites. I don’t generally like doing either of those things. Are there other options?

The Dragonborn Shuffle is another way to do it. Usually better for races with Weapon Familiarity but could maybe, be made to work with elves as well.

The trick is to find ways to have Weapon Focus for any of the 4 free racial martial proficiencies elves have.
When you turn Dragonborn, you lose those racial feats and get to reassign feat slots that needed them as prereq.
Now with Weapon Familiarity (Dwarf, Kobold, ...) as a racial quality, it's simple : Stalwart Sorcerer gives MWP and WF and so does Divine Sorcery.
With MWP as a racial bonus feat it's harder because you still qualify in virtue of Stalwart/DivSor giving you the feat.
Need some finagling but this is probably your best bet

Inevitability
2023-08-14, 02:37 AM
The trick is to find ways to have Weapon Focus for any of the 4 free racial martial proficiencies elves have.
When you turn Dragonborn, you lose those racial feats and get to reassign feat slots that needed them as prereq.
Now with Weapon Familiarity (Dwarf, Kobold, ...) as a racial quality, it's simple : Stalwart Sorcerer gives MWP and WF and so does Divine Sorcery.
With MWP as a racial bonus feat it's harder because you still qualify in virtue of Stalwart/DivSor giving you the feat.
Need some finagling but this is probably your best bet

Declining Elf from Dragon 320 trades the enchantment save bonus, the sleep immunity, and the trance ability for two free Weapon Focus feats (one for melee, one for ranged, chosen from among the elf racial proficiencies). Any way to work with that?

Paragon
2023-08-14, 04:28 AM
Declining Elf from Dragon 320 trades the enchantment save bonus, the sleep immunity, and the trance ability for two free Weapon Focus feats (one for melee, one for ranged, chosen from among the elf racial proficiencies). Any way to work with that?

Great find !
But sadly I don't think it works. When undergoing the Rite of Rebirth you lose all racial feats. If you got WF as a racial feat then you simply lose it.

The trick here is to lose only the foundations of the feat qualification through the Rite AND stack bonus feats from different sources (class, domains etc.)

pabelfly
2023-08-14, 09:57 AM

There's Dark Chaos Shuffle, but that's pretty high-OP shenanigans to get into.

Maat Mons
2023-08-14, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! It looks like there are a decent number of options, but they all seem a little more involved than I was hoping for. I think I'll instead give up on my plan of using Elf as the race. Humans are a tad vanilla, but you can never really go wrong with them.