PDA

View Full Version : Plant-based

Kesnit
2023-08-14, 04:28 AM
I recently introduced my nieces (ages 9 and 11) to D&D. We were using pre-gen characters (pre-gen adventure path). (My wife and MiL were also playing.) The 11 year old has been talking up Rogue, so going forward, she's set. But the 9 year old would like to play something nature / plant themed.

I have a lot of experience with previous editions, but recently switched to 5e, and my experience is limited to having read the PHB and DMG and playing Solasta and BG3.

Is there a plant-theme Druid or Ranger is a splat book? A way to refluff Druid or Ranger to be more plant-based?

Millstone85
2023-08-14, 04:39 AM
I think the subclass "Circle of the Land" already does a good job at this, especially if you select the forest as your main type of land. And maybe homebrew Wild Shape so it turns the druid into plant creatures instead of beasts.

LudicSavant
2023-08-14, 04:40 AM
I recently introduced my nieces (ages 9 and 11) to D&D. We were using pre-gen characters (pre-gen adventure path). (My wife and MiL were also playing.) The 11 year old has been talking up Rogue, so going forward, she's set. But the 9 year old would like to play something nature / plant themed.

I have a lot of experience with previous editions, but recently switched to 5e, and my experience is limited to having read the PHB and DMG and playing Solasta and BG3.

Is there a plant-theme Druid or Ranger is a splat book? A way to refluff Druid or Ranger to be more plant-based?

No refluffing required, just take the plant-y spells like Plant Growth, Speak With Plants, Entangle, Goodberry, etc.

Kane0
2023-08-14, 04:49 AM
Is 3rd party content on the table? Because theres a ton out there.

Chronos
2023-08-14, 06:05 AM
Are there any playable plant (or plant-ish) races? If so, one of those plus any old druid variety would probably satisfy him... but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to homebrew one, though.

LudicSavant
2023-08-14, 06:09 AM
Are there any playable plant (or plant-ish) races? If so, one of those plus any old druid variety would probably satisfy him... but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to homebrew one, though.

Eladrin is very fey, with their personalities and abilities shifting woth the seasons.

Warforged are made of sinews of enchanted wood.

Both are effective race choices.

Mastikator
2023-08-14, 06:10 AM
You can refluff a warforged as a plant based race (rather than a plant/metal/alchemy construct). Besides that I concur with land druid and just take plant spells. Thornwhip will be the bread and butter of this character.

Sigreid
2023-08-14, 09:22 AM
Take a halfling and make it a vegepygme!

Segev
2023-08-14, 09:28 AM
If Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is on the table, there's also the Circle of Spores Druid, which is about fungi and making fungus-controlled zombies.

But yeah, the right spell selection will do a lot to make any druid plant themed. Thorn whip, entangle, plant growth, eventually awaken..., these will get you a long way.

Again, too, if Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is available, Wild Companion could be expanded to permit summoning an Awakened Shrub (which I believe is in either the PHB or the MM, if not both). It almost certainly isn't overpowered as a disposable familiar.

solidork
2023-08-14, 09:36 AM
This might be a little indirect for what she wants, but you can make almost any spell plant themed if you describe the effects right. I played an Armorer Artificer who was all about plants - his armor was a living plant and it would grow magical flowers/fruit that would produce the effects of his spells.

JNAProductions
2023-08-14, 11:17 AM
Circle of Flora (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?635573-Circle-Of-Flora) and Agave (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?596056-Agave-Race) are things I've made that might work to a t.

Leon
2023-08-15, 12:52 AM
Since you mention Solasta, take a note from its subclasses. There are a few of them ive seen around in typical subclass format including the Greenmage. Your game, totally refluff anything to suit, older editions had a lot more variety so take what you know and make it work. It doesn't have to pass anyone's muster but you and your players

stoutstien
2023-08-15, 05:06 AM

Why not just make one? You probably know this individual way better than anybody at WoTC or other studio so you have the best chance to make something that they will find the most enjoyable and engaging. You could make a treant a warlock patron or green tumbed plant motivational speaker.

5e is very forgiving on this front so once you have a rough outline you could even design it as you play.

Clause
2023-08-27, 12:58 PM
Grungs, are small venomous humanoid FROGS.

So there is nothing more natural than a grung druid

RogueJK
2023-08-29, 11:57 AM
Grungs, are small venomous humanoid FROGS.

So there is nothing more natural than a grung druid

Well, besides any of the other "animal-person" races like:

Harengon (humanoid rabbits)
Kenku (humanoid ravens)
Tabaxi (humanoid cats)
Aarakocra (humanoid birds)
Owlin (humanoid owls)
Tortle (humanoid turtles)
Leonin (humanoid lions)
Lizardfolk (humanoid lizards)
Locathah (humanoid fish)
Minotaur (humanoid bulls)
etc.

Any of which are just as nature/animal-themed as the humanoid frog Grung. :smallbiggrin:

Some of those examples are even more overtly nature-centric, like Lizardfolk and Tortles, who gain several nature-related racial skill proficiencies due to their specifically stated "mystical connection to nature".

Then there are the various other nature-loving non-animal races, such as Wood Elves, Forest Gnomes, Satyrs, Centaurs, Eladrin, Shifters, and Firbolgs.

SouthpawSoldier
2023-08-30, 06:27 AM
Kijani, if 3rd party is on the table; literally a humanoid plant.

https://www.5esrd.com/database/race/kijani

For class, I agree that Land Druid seems the....*natural* choice. :biggrin:

kazaryu
2023-08-30, 06:43 AM

as others have pointed out there are plenty of plant based spells for both druids and rangers.

you could certainly refluff basically any of the races into being more plant based. but if that isn't enough to can always have the play a sport druid but instead reflavor it for plants instead of fungi.

RogueJK
2023-08-30, 10:04 AM
A Shifter especially can easily be refluffed as a "wereplant" instead of a "wereanimal", transforming from a normal humanoid into something more like Groot or Swamp Thing when shifted.

The Shifter ability options all can transfer over directly, with the exception of perhaps Longtooth, which might need to be tweaked into a different unarmed strike other than a bite, like a slashing or bludgeoning attack from a protruding branch or swiping vine.

You could also choose to swap out their bonus skill options to include stuff like Nature or Animal Handling in place of Athletics, Acrobatics, or Intimidation.