PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Bloodstar and Shades

Fuzzy Math
2023-08-14, 10:03 PM
Hello, all!

Just trying to figure out what happens when using Shades to simulate Bloodstar when the Will Save is successful and the Fortitude save fails. Bloodstar deals 1 Con DAMAGE with a failed Fort, but a successful Will by my reading would only be 80% of 1, so is the Bloodstar kind of moot at that point? Or is the ability damage an effect and would only have an 80% chance of working for the full 1 Con damage?

Paragon
2023-08-15, 01:01 AM
Usually Illusion [Shadow] spells deal a fraction of the damage of the one they're mimicking.
D&D as a whole, rounds down the numbers so 0.8 Con damage is 0 damage.

ixrisor
2023-08-15, 06:15 AM
Usually Illusion [Shadow] spells deal a fraction of the damage of the one they're mimicking.
D&D as a whole, rounds down the numbers so 0.8 Con damage is 0 damage.

Damage has a minimum of 1, so it might fall under that rule.

Anthrowhale
2023-08-15, 07:21 AM
Damage has a minimum of 1, so it might fall under that rule.

Right, the rule is here (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#roundingFractions).

Fuzzy Math
2023-08-17, 09:59 PM
Right, the rule is here (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#roundingFractions).

Thanks, Anthro! Follow up question, since there is no specific mention of needing the material components for a spell, would I still need them for a spell like Trap the Soul? I mean, the whole Shadow Conjuration line are illusion spells making things from shadowstuff, so I wouldn't think I do. I just need to make it convincing enough for the target to think it is (by failing their save), right?

Anthrowhale
2023-08-18, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Anthro! Follow up question, since there is no specific mention of needing the material components for a spell, would I still need them for a spell like Trap the Soul? I mean, the whole Shadow Conjuration line are illusion spells making things from shadowstuff, so I wouldn't think I do. I just need to make it convincing enough for the target to think it is (by failing their save), right?

I believe it's "not needed" by RAW, since you just use V and S for Shades. However, it would not surprise me if DMs look at the use of the optional Focus component and sometimes rule that it is necessary.