PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Gang Powers

Skrum
2023-08-15, 12:15 AM
A finale game is coming up, and the basic idea is the players will be teaming up a bunch of local street gangs to have a Ultimate Rumble against an invading Yakuza-inspired gang at the abandoned shipyard.

I was going to give the each player the opportunity to "ally" themselves with a particular gang, gaining the signature power of that gang. I have these powers written, but I made them for NPCs. I need to balance them a bit more with a mind towards player use. To be clear, these are supposed to be GOOD. The gang they are going against are going to be very powerful, with multiple enemies at CR +3 or more.

Stone Jungle: Tamun and any Street Tiger within 30 ft of him has advantage on Str (Athletics) checks and all attack rolls against grappled opponents. Further, any creature grappled by Tamun or a Street Tiger has disadvantage on their attack rolls

Brutality: All members of the Savage Squad within 30 ft of Murda (but not Murda herself) deal maximum damage

Never Give Up: Any Gutter Dog within 30 ft of Bhal will not fall, even if reduced to 0 hit points. This ability will not allow allies at 0 to resume actions, but if they are reduced to 0 while within his aura, they may continue to act normally. If they move more than 30 ft away from Bhal, they drop as normal

Espionage and Co.: Nick and all Vagabonds within 30 ft of him may move without provoking opportunity attacks. In addition, if they are hit, they may use their reaction to move up to half their speed

Take One to Give One: Whenever Perry or a Troll King within 30 ft of him gets hit by an attack from melee range, they may spend their reaction to make an attack against the creature that hit them. The attack is made at advantage

Right now, these are just copy/pasted from their gang leader stat block, but when the players get them, there will be no range limit; they'll just have the power of that gang.

What do people suggest? Brutality is probably too good (and Never Give Up makes them unkillable, which will obviously have to be tweaked), but I'd like to bring the other powers closer to that level overall.

NecessaryWeevil
2023-08-15, 01:07 AM
A finale game is coming up, and the basic idea is the players will be teaming up a bunch of local street gangs to have a Ultimate Rumble against an invading Yakuza-inspired gang at the abandoned shipyard.

I was going to give the each player the opportunity to "ally" themselves with a particular gang, gaining the signature power of that gang. I have these powers written, but I made them for NPCs. I need to balance them a bit more with a mind towards player use. To be clear, these are supposed to be GOOD. The gang they are going against are going to be very powerful, with multiple enemies at CR +3 or more.

Stone Jungle: Tamun and any Street Tiger within 30 ft of him has advantage on Str (Athletics) checks and all attack rolls against grappled opponents. Further, any creature grappled by Tamun or a Street Tiger has disadvantage on their attack rolls

Brutality: All members of the Savage Squad within 30 ft of Murda (but not Murda herself) deal maximum damage

Never Give Up: Any Gutter Dog within 30 ft of Bhal will not fall, even if reduced to 0 hit points. This ability will not allow allies at 0 to resume actions, but if they are reduced to 0 while within his aura, they may continue to act normally. If they move more than 30 ft away from Bhal, they drop as normal

Espionage and Co.: Nick and all Vagabonds within 30 ft of him may move without provoking opportunity attacks. In addition, if they are hit, they may use their reaction to move up to half their speed

Take One to Give One: Whenever Perry or a Troll King within 30 ft of him gets hit by an attack from melee range, they may spend their reaction to make an attack against the creature that hit them. The attack is made at advantage

Right now, these are just copy/pasted from their gang leader stat block, but when the players get them, there will be no range limit; they'll just have the power of that gang.

What do people suggest? Brutality is probably too good (and Never Give Up makes them unkillable, which will obviously have to be tweaked), but I'd like to bring the other powers closer to that level overall.

For Stone Jungle, you could add one or both of the following: If you hit a foe with an unarmed attack, you may choose to immediately succeed at a Grapple check against that foe [this does not remove the requirement for a free hand, nor grappling size restrictions]; grappling a target no longer reduces your speed.