PDA

View Full Version : Class help

Stormtrooper666
2023-08-15, 10:32 AM
What's a good class/subclass that comes closest to being a mix of Solomon kane, van hellsing, inquisitor from warhammer?

tyckspoon
2023-08-15, 10:36 AM
That mostly sounds like an RP/personality approach to me and could potentially be played with just about any class. Are there any specific abilities, powers, skills, etc from your inspirations that you are wanting to try to represent in game?

Stormtrooper666
2023-08-15, 10:46 AM
That mostly sounds like an RP/personality approach to me and could potentially be played with just about any class. Are there any specific abilities, powers, skills, etc from your inspirations that you are wanting to try to represent in game?
I'm thinking of using a cleric. Just not sure what domain

Leon
2023-08-15, 07:21 PM
Don't know solomon Kane but Order certainly has Inquisition tones (only Van Hellsing i know is the movie and im not sure how much stock to place in it)

firelistener
2023-08-17, 11:37 AM
I would use the official Inquisitor background from the Plane Shift: Innistrad document, or make a custom background that is similar. Here's a direct link to the document from WotC's site. The Inquisitor is on page 12.

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Plane_Shift_Innistrad.pdf

He main thing you probably want is that feature, Legal Authority, and to run it by your DM first, of course. It says you have the authority to arrest "criminals" on behalf of whatever church/temple/organization you're in. In your case, this would probably be more a monster-hunter thing I guess.

As for class, I would really just suggest you go with either Cleric, Ranger, or Paladin. If you want to hit things with a big melee weapon every turn, go Paladin, but know that your spell options are much more limited. If you want to primarily focus on using ranged attacks like a crossbow or wield two weapons, I suggest Ranger with the Monster Slayer or Hunter subclasses. If you want to rely mostly on spellcasting and not rely on your weapons much, then Cleric is a great choice. For the domain, I would probably just go with Light unless you think another one sounds better. I don't think there's really a domain that is more about monster-hunting than others, but Light has lots of stuff that helps with fighting evil stuff like vampires.

Clause
2023-08-17, 07:42 PM
Im a great fan of solomon kane, and want to help here. He is basicaly a ranger and/or vengeance paladin, with the. Haunted one background. This is how i see Solomon Kane.

JLandan
2023-08-18, 01:04 PM
Im a great fan of solomon kane, and want to help here. He is basicaly a ranger and/or vengeance paladin, with the. Haunted one background. This is how i see Solomon Kane.

I mostly agree. Solomon Kane is clearly multiclass, but he was not a caster of any sort, not even Ranger. I would say Fighter Champion or maybe Gunslinger, along with Inquisitive Rogue. His piety should be totally role play, not class mechanics.