PDA

View Full Version : ranged combat

slexlollar89
2007-12-07, 08:46 PM
I've ben playing DnD for a while now... about three years... but to this day I do not understand rapid shot or manyshot.

Whats the difference? is one better than the other? How exactly do they work?

I have never played an archer because of my inability to grasp these feats. Call me dumb, but for whatever reason they don't ake sense to me. Could someone clear this up realy uh... clearly for me?

AlterForm
2007-12-07, 08:53 PM
Rapid Shot: You get an extra attack at the same bonuses as your first attack of the round. Then, before rolling any attacks, you calculate in a -2 penalty to attacks for that round. Simple.

Ex: You have a single attack at +5. You use rapid shot. You now attack +5/+5, but with a -2 penalty to all attacks, so your final attack sequence is +3/+3 (only with a bow though!).

Manyshot: This one is rather confusing, IMO. You're basically taking all your attacks as one, to save time, but you take a big(ger) penalty. First, count the number of attacks per round you would usually get from BAB. This will be 1, 2, 3, or 4. This is the number of arrows you can fire in one standard action using manyshot. You calculate a single attack, using your full BAB, and all other bonuses/penalties, and then subtract from it a corresponding penalty. 2 arrows is a -4 penalty, 3 arrows is a -6 penalty, and 4 arrows is a -8 penalty. You then make this single attack roll, and if it hits, roll damage for your arrow(s) seperately, since (I think) they all encounter DR seperately. However, you can use different arrows, such as a +1 shocking and a silvered +1 flaming arrow, in the same manyshot.

Ex: You have 3 attacks at +15/+10/+5. You can therefore fire 3 shots. You start with +15, then subtract -6 (for 3 arrows) and arrive at +9 to have 3 arrows hit your target. If you hit on the attack roll, you roll damage for 3 arrows. If you miss, nothing happens except you waste 3 arrows.

Rapid shot is better if you need to be hitting with arrows for damage and don't need to move, whereas manyshot is better if you need to move or don't have to roll as high to hit, since you can get your regular per round damage in the space of a single standard action. Also note, you cannot use manyshot with shot-on-the-run.

Pironious
2007-12-07, 08:57 PM
Rapid Shot is a full round action. You get an extra shot at your highest BAB and take a -2 penalty. It is roughly equal two2 weapon fighting (the first)in that sense.

Manyshot is a standard action. You fire a number of arrows depending on your BAB and take a larger penalty. Manyshot should only be used in a situation where you want to move and then fire (or vice versa) because you take a much larger penalty and only the main arrow can deal precision damage. (Critical Hit, Sneak Attack, Skirmish etc.)

Desaril
2007-12-07, 09:04 PM
I have one addition and one correction:

1) Rapid shot allows you to target different opponents, whereas manyshot must hit the same target.

2) rapid shot is usable with any ranged weapon, manyshot only applies to bows. It is not stated explicitly, so it's not clear if you must choose a specific ranged weapon when you select the feat or if you can rapid shot with any ranged weapon. Compare with Rapid Reload which requires you to choose a crossbow type. As written, you could rapid shot with a bow one round, then two spears, then a hand axe and a dagger!

tyckspoon
2007-12-07, 09:12 PM
) rapid shot is usable with any ranged weapon, manyshot only applies to bows. It is not stated explicitly, so it's not clear if you must choose a specific ranged weapon when you select the feat or if you can rapid shot with any ranged weapon. Compare with Rapid Reload which requires you to choose a crossbow type. As written, you could rapid shot with a bow one round, then two spears, then a hand axe and a dagger!

You can get one extra attack per round with a ranged weapon. The attack is at your highest base attack bonus, but each attack you make in that round (the extra one and the normal ones) takes a –2 penalty. You must use the full attack action to use this feat.

Huh. That's not clearly written? You would need Quick Draw or have the weapons already in hand to Rapid Shot with thrown weapons, but I can see no reason to interpret the feat as applying to only one type of ranged weapon. Especially as compared to feats like Weapon Focus or Rapid Reload which do quite clearly apply only to one chosen weapon.