PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting The Shackled City - D&D 3.5 via MapTool

Crux Argentum
2023-08-18, 09:24 PM
Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying I have attempted play by post games before and yes... I am the guy that disappears. By my best guesstimation, this is due to the format of D&D I am used to playing - at a tabletop - and I am here once more to try something that I think might work a lot better for me, possibly for others of a like mind.

There is 100% free software out there called MapTool from the very wonderful folks at RPTools.. and yes... it is the predecessor to roll20, except it's free lol. Anyways, I have been using it since my tabletop groups a decade ago (before roll20). In those days, I would plug an HDMI cable from my laptop into the TV and simply use it as a (very cool and detailed) display screen. These days, I am tinkering with the capabilities of hosting a server (also free) and using it as a real time tabletop for anyone anywhere in the world! If you are familiar with roll20 at all, it's like that except this will be free for each and every one of us lol. You do not need to be proficient in how to use MapTool, as you will only really have access to your own token during play. Knowledge of 3.5 rules is plenty sufficient.

Edit: You will have to download the latest version of MapTool to play in this game. Which is free lol. Feel feel to download TokenTool as well and make your own customized token.

This deviates from the typical play-by-post format on here and would require us to set up an arranged time, preferably once a week, where we all meet up on the MapTool server game - possibly discord or another voice chat service if there is interest for voice chat. I expect this is likely, but it isn't entirely necessary as there is a text chat function in MapTool where everyone can speak in character, out of character, etc. which everyone will indeed be using to roll dice under any circumstances (using /roll command). I will use this text chat to impersonate enemy tokens and speak to the party at times, and I expect each session to be around about 3 hours, or whatever is agreed upon for the good of the group.

For now, this post will serve only to assess interest, so I will not be posting a big 16 or anything like that just yet. I will say that Shackled City is made to take characters from level 1 to 20, and that I own pretty much every licensed 3.5 book so almost everything will be allowed... but please be reasonable. Try not to break the game and outshine everyone else in our story. No matter what build you're after, we're starting at level 1 so.

In a perfect world, we will have 4 characters - tank, arcane caster, cleric, and rogue. A fifth is not out of the question, but I'd like to at least have the basic roles covered.

A final edit.. for those unfamiliar with roll20 and MapTool... this game will 100% be The Shackled City adventure path but will also have a pretty big focus on the 5 foot grid and the aesthetic beauty of maps. Marching order will be established before we begin and aside from the occasional interlude, there will seldom be a moment where it doesn't matter where your token is. Attention will be paid as to encumbrance, light sources, who is holding the light source, etc. When you log into the server you will be assigned ownership of your token, and you will perceive things from your token's point of view only. For example, if the fighter is holding the only torch and runs away, leaving the rest of the party in darkness.. well... from your token's point of view, you are in complete darkness - making things such as low-light vision and darkvision perhaps more valuable. Even if you see something that the rest of the party can't... remember that you can't use a free action to scream until it is your turn on initiative >=) As such, expect combat to be technical and plan accordingly. Again, please have fun but don't try to break it and ruin it for everyone.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/atallascampaigns/images/0/00/Shackled_city2.png/revision/latest?cb=20191230074248
https://d20diaries.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/90c2c46f430e4017a7f648a1ffd0487b.jpg?w=439&h=196

System: D&D 3.5
Player Count: 4-5
Style of Play: via MapTool, schedule to be decided
Allowed Content:

PHB, PHB II, DMG
All of the Completes (no psionics)
Tome of Magic (for the Binder =p)
No one probably cares too much about this one, but Eldritch Sorcery from Necromancer Games
Others are subject to approval, just run it by me

Character Creation:

Backstory: This can be as short or as detailed as you'd like. The entirety of the game will ultimately take place within the confines of the city of Cauldron (see below for more information). Just give the other players and I something to work with and know and understand your character a bit better, but for whatever reason - you have ultimately found yourself in Cauldron in the company of some other up and coming adventurers. I think I've left enough information that you could get out your Greyhawk Gazetteer and really go crazy tying in your story wherever you are from. Or it can be short and sweet, and that is just fine too. One thing worth noting during creation is that we will abide by the gold piece limit for cities. Cauldron has a gp limit of 15000 gp, which means you will never be able to buy an item that costs over 15k gp... in Cauldron. Travel is of course possible via ship in the Bay of Jeklea, and the nearest town is Hokar in the Sea Princes with a gp limit of 40k. Ostensibly, you could sail as far as you need to - but who knows what events may transpire in Cauldron during your absence.
Experience: 1st level characters.
Wealth: max starting gold.
Ability Scores: 28 point buy (may get bumped up to 32)
Hitpoints/Health: max starting HP, then gain fixed HP as per DMG pg 198
Alignment: No evil

Other Notes:
The City of Cauldron can be found in the Hellfurnace Mountains, nestled within the crater of a now dormant volcano. Geographically speaking it is located in the far south western part of the Flanaess - south of the Sea Princes and just on the edge of the Amedio Jungle. The reason for Cauldron's extreme isolation is due to its economy based on its chief exports - gems and precious metals mined from the nearby and dangerous Hellfurnace Mountains, as well as crops from plantations exploiting the tropical climate of the bordering jungle. The slash and burn tactics used by the people of Cauldron to make suitable farming grounds often puts them at odds with the dangerous denizens of the jungle as well. All of the goods are exported via the fortified port of Sasserine, just north of Cauldron. There are just two primary merchant companies that handle imports into Cauldron - Maavu Imports and Garthun Imports. Cauldron's primary import is foodstuffs, as the plantations are typically just used to grow coffee and sugar cane, but there is also an influx of luxuries as well due to Cauldron's wealthy class.

Cauldron's buildings, tightly packed and built from volcanic rock and wood, line the inner bowl of a nameless, dormant volcano. Cobblestone roads form concentric circles around a small but deep lake of cold water which fills the volcano's basin. Although the town's sewage seeps into the lake, local clerics routinely purify the water of the citizens in exchange for charitable donations to their temples. There are four prominent churches located within Cauldron - the Church of Pelor, the Church of St. Cuthbert, the Temple of Lordly Might (dedicated to Kord), and the impressive Cathedral of Wee Jas.

A 50-foot tall fortified wall of black malachite encircles the city, tracing the outer rim of the volcano and offering protection from the dangerous denizens of the Hellfurnaces and Amedio. The regions nearer the upper rim of the city tend tend to be occupied by upper class families and elite merchants. The closer one gets to the center of town (and the closer to the often pungent odors of the central lake), the shoddier the construction and the more dangerous its dark alleys become. This is commonly known as the Lakefront District.

Cauldron is watched over by its current Lord Mayor, Severan Nevalant (male human) and seems to be well liked. In addition to mining and farming, being part of the town guard is a common occupation due to the dangerous environs and protection of resources. It is said that there is organized crime in Cauldron somehow associated with Olidammara, and there are even whispers of a mysterious secret society composed solely of the city's richest and most elite citizens. One of the largest and tallest structures in Cauldron is the Bluecrafter Academy, an esteemed institution of learning. There are many taverns and inns - including the Slippery Eel Tavern (working class), the Drunken Morkoth Inn (most popular), the Tipped Tankard Tavern (high class), and even the flophouse of Minuta's Board for those who can't afford anywhere else. Both the Cusp of Sunrise Club and the Coy Nixie Tavern and Dancehall are typically reserved only for Cauldron's wealthiest citizens. The city sees many adventurers and travelers located here at the edge of known civilization, and thusly has its share of places for adventurers to buy and sell gear - including Tygot's Old Things, Skie's Treasury, Gurnezarn's Smithy, Weer's Elixirs, and Zanathor's Provisions.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/greyhawk/images/b/b3/Cauldron01.jpg/revision/latest/zoom-crop/width/500/height/500?cb=20190519031502

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/greyhawk/images/c/c0/JekleaBay.png/revision/latest/smart/width/386/height/259?cb=20181121133434

spectralphoenix
2023-08-20, 05:44 PM
I might be interested in giving it a try, assuming schedules and such work out. I played a wizard in my last game, so I'm thinking about a big guy who hits things next, maybe a fighter or paladin. I can be flexible though.

Annoying Imp
2023-08-21, 01:33 AM
Interested. It may be a problem, to play in voice (and may be not, we'll see), but otherwise sounds pretty much intriguing.

As for a character, maybe, something like druid? I'm completely unfamiliar with the module, so I'll apriciate it, if you may say if animal companion will be mostly useless or mostly OK.

RelentlessImp
2023-08-21, 04:15 AM
I'd be interested if you were to do it gestalt.

Phobia
2023-08-21, 12:56 PM
I’m used to roll20 not familiar with how to use maptool

Crux Argentum
2023-08-21, 03:45 PM
Oh wow, interest =)

I might be interested in giving it a try, assuming schedules and such work out. I played a wizard in my last game, so I'm thinking about a big guy who hits things next, maybe a fighter or paladin. I can be flexible though.

Either one will work great!

Interested. It may be a problem, to play in voice (and may be not, we'll see), but otherwise sounds pretty much intriguing.

As for a character, maybe, something like druid? I'm completely unfamiliar with the module, so I'll apriciate it, if you may say if animal companion will be mostly useless or mostly OK.

I will tell you flat out that I am wary of druids, and animal companions have little to do with it lol. Rather, I take issue with wild shape and the complexities it brings to the table, so I would much prefer to have a cleric as a party healer instead of a druid.

I'd be interested if you were to do it gestalt.

Very sorry but that will not be the case for this campaign. Are you two related? =p

I’m used to roll20 not familiar with how to use maptool

Me neither! Lol. So I have used maptool many many years ago and it worked absolutely wonderful. The thing is, we only ever used one single laptop (mine) and we simply plugged the hdmi cable into the tv as a display. I never tinkered with using a server or involving more than one cpu whatsoever until now. When I had to make changes... like make tokens visible... or manipulate tokens outside the PC's line of sight due to fog of war.... I would have to turn the power off to the TV so the PCs couldn't see what was going on and turn the TV back on when I'm ready and fog of war is back in place, etc lol.

This won't be like that. I will either be using two cpu's or two separate instances of maptool on the same cpu (one to enforce player view, the other to freely manipulate everything else while you are locked onto a certain viewpoint). I have never done this before lol, but I have fiddled with it enough to know that it is more than possible. As such, it may be a bit of a learning experience for everyone. In a perfect world tho you should really only be able to manipulate your token lol and maybe use some of the other functions like measuring distance and seeing exactly how big a 60 foot cone / burst / etc is for yourself where you can put it, so I expect most of the difficulties to be on my end.

I'd also like to address a couple more things about the campaign... It will be set in Greyhawk, so use Greyhawk deities, domains, etc. For those who don't know, Shackled City was made to take PCs from level 1 to 20, so we will start at 1 and should the stars align and everything works out, we will end at 20.

It's also come to my attention that Shackled City is widely regarded and self professed as a "difficult" campaign so we will probably looking at 5 players instead of 4 now, or if we only have 4 we'll at least do 32 point buy (28 if we get 5).

Annoying Imp
2023-08-21, 11:54 PM
ok, no druids here =)

Not if I like clerics much. Maybe I may start with LA+1 race and buy LA of during play? I'd try to do something with a rogue-like character then...

Even if its not OK, I'm still interested, just checking possibilities.

razorfloss
2023-08-22, 08:54 AM
I'm potentially interested as a binder if schedules line up.

Lord Foul
2023-08-22, 12:14 PM
Isn't roll20 also free?

also, dang, got lured here through the search for gestalt lol

Crux Argentum
2023-08-22, 05:17 PM
Maybe I may start with LA+1 race and buy LA of during play? I'd try to do something with a rogue-like character then...

Well we'll be starting at level 1 so for simplicity's sake, I'd rather not mess around with any LA / monstrous races. On that note, this will pretty much be a "good guy" campaign. On another note, the party is going to need a rogue - plain and simple.

I'm potentially interested as a binder if schedules line up.

Right on =)

Isn't roll20 also free?

It could very well be /shrug. In any case, I have years invested in knowing how to operate maptool lol, so that is what we'll be using.

Annoying Imp
2023-08-22, 11:20 PM
Isn't roll20 also free?..
Last time I checked, it was free to start, but required subscription to unlock bonus options (like fog of war) at least for the DM.

... I'd rather not mess around with any LA / monstrous races. On that note, this will pretty much be a "good guy" campaign. On another note, the party is going to need a rogue - plain and simple.
Wasn't going for a "bad guy"... I'll probably look, what party composition will be than.

Lord Foul
2023-08-23, 06:21 AM
Last time I checked, it was free to start, but required subscription to unlock bonus options (like fog of war) at least for the DM.

Wasn't going for a "bad guy"... I'll probably look, what party composition will be than.
I don't think so. the subscription does give you more space to store assets, a free book a month (sometimes an artbook sometimes a module) and a few other things. it took me a *while* DMing to have the storage space to end up being semi-required

It could very well be /shrug. In any case, I have years invested in knowing how to operate maptool lol, so that is what we'll be using.
that's very fair

Cassus
2023-08-24, 11:09 PM
I'm definitely interested in playing with regularly scheduled sessions! That should do a lot to keep everyone engaged in the game. I've never used maptool before, but I use roll20 a lot, so it should be pretty straightforward to adapt, right?

Crux Argentum
2023-08-26, 05:34 PM
I'm definitely interested in playing with regularly scheduled sessions! That should do a lot to keep everyone engaged in the game. I've never used maptool before, but I use roll20 a lot, so it should be pretty straightforward to adapt, right?

I myself have only fiddled very briefly with roll20, but yes =) I think it should be pretty straightforward. I have been playing more and more with maptool as far as hosting a server, what joining as a player looks like, what you can and can't do as a player, etc. and I am feeling pretty good about this. Each person will only be able to see what their own character can see, placing a somewhat higher value on things like darkvision and low-light vision. It's gonna be super cool =) Ultimately tho, your actions will be pretty limited and you won't have to worry about of the technical and fiddly aspects of maptool. You'll only be able to move your own token around, you can zoom in and out all you want, but with fog of war, you'll probably be zoomed in most of the time. The only really technical things I see being of value to you guys are the measuring tool (so you can measure distances without picking up your token and doing a pretend move or counting it out in your head) which is super easy to use, and the spell template tool. So you can see what a 5 foot cone looks like, or a 60 foot cone, or a 30 foot burst, and you can drop it on the map so everyone else can see it too. Then alt+Z to get rid of it. Then there are chat commands for rolling dice, impersonating your token to speak in character, but it's all pretty minor stuff.

I guess now is a good time to do an official inventory check on who all we have, so I am seeing:

spectralphoenix - fighter type / flexible
Annoying Imp - rogue type?
razorfloss - binder
Cassus

Looks like we are missing a cleric. I know the deities and domains are a bit on the limited side in the PHB so feel free to use this Greyhawk Deities Master List (https://metzger.obsidianportal.com/wikis/greyhawk-deities-master-list) for the potential divine caster. Keep in mind, good guy campaign lol, but neutral is fine too.

I guess we will have to have a talk about scheduling at some point lol. For my part, I am in central standard and my schedule is pretty open for the time being. I don't think think it's urgent or critical to hammer out any of the finer details in stone at this point in time, but it's something to be mindful of.

Cleaned up the first post a bit, added some fluff and info for character creation.

razorfloss
2023-08-27, 12:08 AM
neat I'm in est(eastern standard time ) and I'm free every Saturday and every other Sunday.

Annoying Imp
2023-08-27, 02:59 PM
If you're interested in creating tension, you may consider rolling everything secretely, then declaring an outcome. It may be a headache for you, DM. But played like this once, feels like movie, pretty cool. I'm in GMT +05:00 timezone.

spectralphoenix
2023-08-27, 04:16 PM
I'm in central time, any time Saturday is fine, or Sunday as long as it's around 4 or so. I will not be available the weekend of September 23-24.

Will have a character sheet up shortly.

Crux Argentum
2023-08-27, 04:30 PM
If you're interested in creating tension, you may consider rolling everything secretely, then declaring an outcome. It may be a headache for you, DM. But played like this once, feels like movie, pretty cool. I'm in GMT +05:00 timezone.

It's a thought. I have a few fears about it, one being that may deny players the fun of rolling their own dice. Another is that, as a player, I worry you may start to feel like it's more of a game of arbitrary DM decisions rather than your stats, the enemy's stats, and the actual outcome of die rolls. Then there is the issue of extra work for me lol.

I could see the appeal of it tho, and if the other players are keen on this idea I'd be happy to do it. I could also see the appeal of doing it the opposite way - making all rolls public. So that you as a player know nothing has been fudged. Keep in mind this goes both ways tho, there is no fudging a good roll for enemies either lol.

Unless there is a majority preference for one way or another, I imagine player rolls will be public and DM rolls for enemies will be private / behind the DM screen.

spectralphoenix
2023-08-28, 08:14 PM
Nicholas Morgan (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2829143)

Still considering backstory, but I figured I should get the sheet posted at least. Will edit it in later.

TankLaser007
2023-08-29, 01:25 AM
Intrigued, Crux Argentum what is your GMT/TZ are you in the Americas, Europe? I just remember back in uni days coordination of our group became more difficult in the same city due to varied family/work/educational schedules/commitments. The new method of play plus starting at 1st level is actually a plus for me, refreshing and low initial commitment/invest of time combined with the novelty of a new way of engaging in a beloved/old hobby.

Annoying Imp
2023-08-29, 06:03 AM
Flimsy Brittletank (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets//?id=2829562). Not a final variant, but you may have a look...

Crux Argentum
2023-08-30, 12:46 AM
Intrigued, Crux Argentum what is your GMT/TZ are you in the Americas, Europe? I just remember back in uni days coordination of our group became more difficult in the same city due to varied family/work/educational schedules/commitments. The new method of play plus starting at 1st level is actually a plus for me, refreshing and low initial commitment/invest of time combined with the novelty of a new way of engaging in a beloved/old hobby.

I am in Central Standard Time (UTC−06:00) in the Americas =) I guess we're still very much in the formative stages of this - I think I've heard two mentions of Saturday. Haven't heard any character concept from Cassus yet, but if we could get one of you two to take on the healer / divine caster role, I think we'll have all the fixings of an adventuring party

Annoying Imp
2023-09-03, 10:56 PM
Erm... is there so little interest for what looks like tactical and hardcore game? It doesn't seems like there are not enough players, based on other 3.5 threads. Is a play via maptool so confusing?

Crux Argentum
2023-09-04, 02:10 PM
It would appear our main roadblock is just waiting for the healer role to be taken. Here's another summary of what I'm seeing so far:

spectralphoenix - Nicholas Morgan, Human Paladin
Annoying Imp - Flimsy Brittletank, Halfling Spellthief
razorfloss - Binder
Cassus ?
TankLaser007 ?

It would be nice if we could get one to start, but if you guys think you'll be okay without one and would like to begin without, that is ultimately up for you the players to decide. I'm not against allowing someone else to join later down the road and adjust their level to match the party. It's just a question of do you want to risk a self described difficult campaign without a healer lol, for starting out at least.

spectralphoenix
2023-09-04, 10:57 PM
I think we could do okay without a healer as long as we can acquire a CLW wand early - Nicholas can use it to patch people up out of combat in a pinch - but I do think a three person party is a bit light. I don't think Paladin - Spellthief - Binder is especially far up on the power scale as it is.

Annoying Imp
2023-09-05, 12:50 AM
Without real casters like wizard and cleric, I feel my character's power level will not be in line with "difficult campaign". That sayed, I'm voting against starting with 3 people ready.

Alternatively, I may change my character to something at least useful as a partner to melee types (and still able to locate traps).

Crux Argentum
2023-09-05, 06:18 PM
I think we could do okay without a healer as long as we can acquire a CLW wand early - Nicholas can use it to patch people up out of combat in a pinch - but I do think a three person party is a bit light. I don't think Paladin - Spellthief - Binder is especially far up on the power scale as it is.

Without real casters like wizard and cleric, I feel my character's power level will not be in line with "difficult campaign". That sayed, I'm voting against starting with 3 people ready.

Alternatively, I may change my character to something at least useful as a partner to melee types (and still able to locate traps).

I think we need to start with a healer or we may as well not start at all yet. I would say go ahead and someone control 2 but nah. That would be a monopoly.

If we start with 4, everyone can start with 32 point-buy. That would probably look something like = fighter type + rogue + divine + arcane. Or 28 point-buy for 5-6 players.

Keep in mind, divine users, this game will be set in Greyhawk and you are welcome to use any of the deities and domains and favored weapons from Greyhawk Master List (https://metzger.obsidianportal.com/wikis/greyhawk-deities-master-list) that are compatible with 3.5 (neutral and good only).

Cauldron may only have four main churches.. but various shrines and temples devoted any myriad of deities and gods may be found within its walls.

Cassus
2023-09-06, 12:06 AM
Sorry, I think I need to bow out. Somehow, when posting interest earlier I missed that this was a 1st level game. I've played a few rounds of "crunchies," and life/death is just a little to arbitrary for me there.

Annoying Imp
2023-09-06, 01:47 AM
Redgar (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2832135) is here, in case we'll be starting with 3 characters.
Factotum is not from completes, but I doubt it will break something... have a look. Skills are still under construction, but it is mostly fleshed out. I may change him to PB 32 in a day, if it needs to be done.

Still, I'd prefer to go with spellthief and wider party.

razorfloss
2023-09-09, 08:37 AM
If needed I'm willing to play a favored soul as the party's divine caster. My only request is that I can change it's casting stat to be charisma and have its dcs be based on it as well like every other caster.

StreamOfTheSky
2023-09-12, 08:32 PM
I know nothing of the campaign, but am just excited to see a Maptools 3.5 game, I kind of gave up looking for one. Vastly prefer Maptools to Roll20, but that one's way more popular.
Any openings still? What's the current party looking like?

Annoying Imp
2023-09-13, 03:03 AM
I know nothing of the campaign, but am just excited to see a Maptools 3.5 game, I kind of gave up looking for one. Vastly prefer Maptools to Roll20, but that one's way more popular.
Any openings still? What's the current party looking like?

Hi. There are only 3 players + DM, as far as I can tell, so you are more than welcome : )

The party looks like this:
melee fighter-type - paladin
rogue-type, mostly ranged for now (+ hope for some spells) - spellthief
character, kind of open for now to round up the party - either binder or favored soul
we are probably looking for - either divine (to pair with binder) or arcane (to pair with favored soul) caster

But you may, of course, ask whatever class you want to play. I may switch out spellthief, if there will be few to no real casters in the party.

StreamOfTheSky
2023-09-15, 07:02 PM
Are favored class restrictions in place?

If you need an arcane caster, I could try out my idea for a Dwarf Runesmith, but he'd be a "gish" with Crusader (maybe way later Jade Phoenix Mage... Runesmith is only 5 levels) so if favored class rules apply, it's not really viable.
He'd probably start out at level 1 as a Crusader, but from there would advance arcane casting.

TheFallenShard
2023-09-20, 09:33 PM
Hi, I am new to 3.5 if that is ok, but I would like to play a human sorcerer.

Annoying Imp
2023-09-21, 12:13 AM

Hi. I believe, it is totally ok. Optimisation level is quite moderate here, so it is probably ok to make a generic sorcerer and go. The thing is, our DM wasn't posting for some time already, so you should probably check if this is still going to actually start.

Crux Argentum
2023-10-10, 11:48 PM
Hey gang, I am still around and willing to give this thing a shot.

Factotum is not from completes, but I doubt it will break something... have a look. Skills are still under construction, but it is mostly fleshed out. I may change him to PB 32 in a day, if it needs to be done.

Still, I'd prefer to go with spellthief and wider party.
I am a little loathe to start allowing stuff from outside the completes, as I really don't want to open up the floodgates lol. If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not crazy about spellthief (but it is allowed, you won't be persecuted for using it) and I'm not especially thrilled about the idea of every single member of the party being a spellcaster lol.

If needed I'm willing to play a favored soul as the party's divine caster. My only request is that I can change it's casting stat to be charisma and have its dcs be based on it as well like every other caster.
Eesh I'd like to be able to do that for you, but I feel they made it that way for a reason. For fear of unbalancing things, I'm afraid I can't do it.

Are favored class restrictions in place?

If you need an arcane caster, I could try out my idea for a Dwarf Runesmith, but he'd be a "gish" with Crusader (maybe way later Jade Phoenix Mage... Runesmith is only 5 levels) so if favored class rules apply, it's not really viable.
He'd probably start out at level 1 as a Crusader, but from there would advance arcane casting.
Favored class restrictions and all the usual stuff for multi-classing is in effect. As I told Annoying Imp, I am a bit unenthusiastic about everyone being a spellcaster and it looks like Runesmith can hand spells to any nonspellcasters.... which is zero people at this point I think lol. Paladin, I am much less worried about, but still.. spellcaster.. and you could still hand him runes to have every single PC cast a spell pretty much every turn of every round lol. Besides it being outside the completes, I'm going to have to ask you to pass on this class and choose a different one - even if it is a different kind of arcane caster.

I think it should be okay. As you can see, there is an overabundance of arcane spell usage in this party so far lol - but do what you do

WindStruck
2023-10-12, 04:01 PM
So you said you were looking for a healer still? Does this have to be some kind of divine caster that can spontaneously channel positive energy, or would someone with a really high heal skill suffice?

Auranghzeb
2023-10-12, 04:13 PM
I'm terribly interested in playing a low level Binder. But Is the expectation to play live?

StreamOfTheSky
2023-10-12, 11:50 PM
Favored class restrictions and all the usual stuff for multi-classing is in effect. As I told Annoying Imp, I am a bit unenthusiastic about everyone being a spellcaster and it looks like Runesmith can hand spells to any nonspellcasters.... which is zero people at this point I think lol. Paladin, I am much less worried about, but still.. spellcaster.. and you could still hand him runes to have every single PC cast a spell pretty much every turn of every round lol. Besides it being outside the completes, I'm going to have to ask you to pass on this class and choose a different one - even if it is a different kind of arcane caster.

Oh, I thought you needed a divine AND arcane caster, so I was making an arcane caster. I actually prefer non-casters, which is why I went w/ the Runesmith for the "gimmick" to still fight armored and in melee and yeah...giving the noncasters spells to use is nifty. I thought the party was lacking full casters so that would actually be useful. (It adds a +2 spell level adjustment like Empower Spell would and has a limit of uses per day, so it's not something that could be used every round)

I can definitely make something else, and if favored class restrictions are being used then my idea doesn't work, anyway.

Annoying Imp
2023-10-13, 12:47 AM
Hey gang, I am still around and willing to give this thing a shot.
It's nice to "hear" that!

I am a little loathe to start allowing stuff from outside the completes, as I really don't want to open up the floodgates lol. If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not crazy about spellthief (but it is allowed, you won't be persecuted for using it) and I'm not especially thrilled about the idea of every single member of the party being a spellcaster lol.
No problem. Factotum was just a backup plan, so no worries.

I think it should be okay. As you can see, there is an overabundance of arcane spell usage in this party so far lol - but do what you do
As a side note, spellthief is hardly a caster by himself - too little, too late. And not a caster at all untill 4 level. If for stolen spells, they may be divine as well.
So there is nothing like arcane overabundance...

Fuzzy Math
2023-10-13, 11:06 PM
There is an interest here. While not familiar with Greyhawk or MapTool, I'm willing to learn both! :smallsmile: Depending on work schedule, home life (I'm a caretaker and the occasional incident happens), and what day/time the game takes place will determine if I can commit. If things align, I happen to enjoy playing clerics and rogues.

Crux Argentum
2023-10-15, 12:29 AM
So you said you were looking for a healer still? Does this have to be some kind of divine caster that can spontaneously channel positive energy, or would someone with a really high heal skill suffice?
I'm guessing you guys are going to want a divine caster that can cast healing spells, for a couple reasons. It's a self proclaimed difficult campaign for starters, and secondly there will be a fair amount of dungeon. If I were a PC and someone got beat up deep in the dungeon, I'm not sure I'd want to lean on a Heal skill and boarding up a room and hoping for the best lol. Sure, there's Rope Trick and such, but if time is a factor? I dunno, I just have a hard time imagining a game without someone able to cast a decent heal spell.

I'm terribly interested in playing a low level Binder. But Is the expectation to play live?
Yes, the expectation is to play live. I don't think it'd be impossible to do entirely text based, but discord is an option as well (although I don't really have a channel for us to use or anything lol). If he is still around, razorfloss was saying he wanted to play a binder as well so /shrug I dunno. Feel free to whip up a sheet tho.

Oh, I thought you needed a divine AND arcane caster, so I was making an arcane caster. I actually prefer non-casters, which is why I went w/ the Runesmith for the "gimmick" to still fight armored and in melee and yeah...giving the noncasters spells to use is nifty. I thought the party was lacking full casters so that would actually be useful. (It adds a +2 spell level adjustment like Empower Spell would and has a limit of uses per day, so it's not something that could be used every round)

I can definitely make something else, and if favored class restrictions are being used then my idea doesn't work, anyway.
Right on, I would love to see a noncaster lol

There is an interest here. While not familiar with Greyhawk or MapTool, I'm willing to learn both! Depending on work schedule, home life (I'm a caretaker and the occasional incident happens), and what day/time the game takes place will determine if I can commit. If things align, I happen to enjoy playing clerics and rogues.
I thinkkkk we were talking about a day during the weekend, nothing in set in stone at all tho

StreamOfTheSky
2023-10-15, 11:23 PM
Ok, so we for sure have a Paladin.... Probably a Spellthief. And possibly a Binder and a divine caster? What is the party size, because it sounds like we still lack an arcane caster?

I could play...

Warblade or Swordsage (is Tome of Battle allowed?)
Duskblade (it's more melee than a caster, don't count on him to be the party "wizard")
Ranger/Scout (swift hunter eventually, probably archery-based)

Binder is also interesting, but someone already wants to play it and I'm honestly not sure what "role" it really fills.
EDIT: If no one remains that wants Binder, I could play a Binder/Sorcerer and go into Anima Mage, that would cover our arcane caster role firmly. Or any of the above, I'm pretty flexible, I just want to know what to make a sheet for...

Weekend would be great as far as what day.

Auranghzeb
2023-10-16, 04:32 AM
Yes, the expectation is to play live. I don't think it'd be impossible to do entirely text based, but discord is an option as well (although I don't really have a channel for us to use or anything lol). If he is still around, razorfloss was saying he wanted to play a binder as well so /shrug I dunno. Feel free to whip up a sheet tho.

Oh! Thanks, but I find live on-line games very difficult to coordinate. Best of lucks.

drayen
2023-10-16, 05:28 PM
I'm interested in playing. I am in the Central time zone as well and am available any weekday night, Saturday until 4 pm or anytime on Sunday.

For something completely different... a Hexblade. I know, I know, another caster, but nothing more than the arcane equivalent to a paladin. Either an adherent of Wee Jas who would likely start out as a town guard, being for all appearances a fighter at first level or a rogue (in case we need more rogue support at the early levels) who will transition to a hexblade. He might be in league with the rumored church of Olidimarra. Whichever our illustrious leader deems a better fit.

razorfloss
2023-10-19, 03:17 AM
I'm still around I just figured that this was dead after no contact. Like I said I would prefer binder as it's my favorite class even if lvl 6-7 is rough( they really should have made the second bind at lvl 6 but whatever) but I'm open to favored soul if needed. I would argue that cleric is still better than favored soul even with the change but what the DM says goes.

StreamOfTheSky
2023-10-24, 04:01 PM
Ok, hopefully to help settle party composition....
I sent the DM simple character sheets for the following options:

Binder (to go into Sorcerer and Anima Mage later)
Warblade (if allowed)
Duskblade

I'll play whichever, depending on what the rest of the party will be.

We currently have Paladin and Spellthief, plus one of the 3 above for me. Definitely need a divine caster, whether it's Razor or someone else.

StreamOfTheSky
2023-11-21, 11:02 AM
One month and no replies... Guess this is dead?

Crux Argentum
2023-12-07, 11:47 AM
I’m still down to give it a shot. Weekdays are out of the question for me at this point in time, including Friday. If we can get some people to quickly confirm that they are available for a Saturday game some time in the afternoon / evening, we can try to get this ball rolling.

I’m probably going to have to choose who’s in and who’s out based on party composition, and perhaps willingness to use discord as a means of voice communication.

spectralphoenix - Nicholas Morgan, Human Paladin
Annoying Imp - Flimsy Brittletank, Halfling Spellthief or Redgar ?? can't see sheet for some reason
razorfloss - Binder
StreamOfTheSky - Warblade, Duskblade, Binder

That's funny nevermind that last part haha. Alright, so basically the main thing holding us up still the lack of a divine caster / healer. We're still about where we were a month ago. We have a party with no divine caster, which is going to impede much more progress until it gets sorted out.

If anyone has downloaded the latest version of MapTool and wants to just do a trial run so you can fiddle around with it, I'd be down to give that a whirl.

spectralphoenix
2023-12-08, 12:11 PM
I can be available for something Saturday.

StreamOfTheSky
2023-12-08, 08:36 PM
I'm available. What time (and time zone) do you want to start? Will it just show up as "Shackled City" in the campaign list?
Is the Warblade I sent you allowed, or only the Duskblade or Binder ones?

razorfloss
2023-12-08, 10:53 PM
Like I said I'm willing to play a favored soul and it looks like I will have to. I'm free every Saturday and every other Sunday

StreamOfTheSky
2023-12-09, 05:14 PM
I've been checking here and the Maptools server list and don't see anything.
Is there going to be an initial meet up tonight?
You mentioned Discord before. What is your Discord name? Mine's StreamOfTheSky.

Ozreth
2023-12-21, 10:28 AM
I am down to do this.

I'm only available on weekdays after 5:30pm pst.

I've never played a game using a virtual tabletop, or online at all, only at the table.

Open to voice chat but also totally ok with text only.

I'm returning to 3.5 after about a decade away from it, so will be very rusty, but I'm also DMing an in person game so will be brushing up on all the rules anyways.

Not sure what I would play, but it would probably be something pretty straight forward.

Let me know the status of this. Thanks!

Ozreth
2023-12-23, 01:15 PM
Wanted to follow up on this one again.

Annoying Imp
2023-12-25, 12:21 AM
Hello again. What's the status here?

As for a second character charsheet - it was factotum, and factotum wasn't allowed, so nevermind. I'm still here with Flimsy though.

Ozreth
2023-12-25, 01:07 AM
Hello again. What's the status here?

As for a second character charsheet - it was factotum, and factotum wasn't allowed, so nevermind. I'm still here with Flimsy though.

Let’s keep the momentum up until OP gets back on board :smalltongue:

StreamOfTheSky
2023-12-25, 03:41 PM
Let’s keep the momentum up until OP gets back on board :smalltongue:

I provided my Discord name. Maybe if DM sets up a server and we join we can work things out faster.

Annoying Imp
2023-12-25, 10:39 PM
I provided my Discord name. Maybe if DM sets up a server and we join we can work things out faster.

My Discord name is annoyingimp. If there will be an invitation link, I'll join.

Ozreth
2023-12-30, 12:35 AM
Bumping because I wish this would happen despite having lost hope of the OP returning

Ozreth
2024-01-08, 05:04 PM
Ayyy one more shot