PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Gorget

RNightstalker
2023-08-20, 12:39 AM
Song and Silence has the Gorget which provides a +10 armor bonus against garrote attacks. Wouldn't it be more accurate (for a reasonable DM going with RAI/fixing an editing error) to call it a +10 circumstance bonus to AC vs. a garrote attack? I could see that kind of ruling requiring a change in price to bonus squared x 10gp or even 100gp. I know a Rules Lawyer going by RAW would say hell no. What say you playground?

hamishspence
2023-08-20, 12:52 AM
It makes sense to me as is - armor bonuses don't stack with other armor bonuses, and a gorget is a piece of armour (plate armor will normally include a gorget of its own in real life.)

So a guy wearing full plate and a gorget will have a +10 bonus vs garrotting, not a +14 bonus (in D&D - Song and Silence - full plate grants a +4 bonus vs garrottes but not the full +8 bonus).

Powerdork
2023-08-20, 01:25 AM
When you're getting garroted, the thing that you care about is whether you have a gorget or not, and the gorget is actually providing a material blocking of the garrote. If it were somehow a +1 brilliant energy garrote or something, then the fact that the garrote ignores lifeless matter becomes relevant, because it ignores your gorget inherently on account of ignoring armor bonuses.
The fact that you're wearing +5 leather armour isn't immaterial when it comes to how the actual battle plays out (such as if they're also using a bite attack against you), but it definitely doesn't do as much to prevent a wire around your neck from squeezing everything in as the gorget does.

Now, I don't actually have the book, I'm just reasoning things from basic game principles. Does the garrote expressly ignore armor bonuses to AC already?

RNightstalker
2023-08-20, 09:50 PM
It makes sense to me as is - armor bonuses don't stack with other armor bonuses, and a gorget is a piece of armour (plate armor will normally include a gorget of its own in real life.)

So a guy wearing full plate and a gorget will have a +10 bonus vs garrotting, not a +14 bonus (in D&D - Song and Silence - full plate grants a +4 bonus vs garrottes but not the full +8 bonus).

Eh, I'm just overprotective of the character I'm (re)building, looking for anything and everything I can. It'll all work out. Thanks.